PDA

View Full Version : Stop Carlos Mencia

Disgustipated
12-08-2008, 11:05 PM
y5SWgbIw9kE

The future is in our hands, me hearties.

Generation ABXY
12-08-2008, 11:07 PM
I saw that the other day (which made me chuckle once I saw Fits' post in the ass-kicking thread). Thought it was funny at first, but it really sort of fizzled out about halfway through; never did finish, because of that.

Still, as a parody of those sorts of videos, it is great.

Is Mencia really that bad, I've never watched more than maybe five minutes before?

Rogue_hunter
12-08-2008, 11:08 PM
His show's already been canceled. What more can we do?

Lint of Death
12-08-2008, 11:13 PM
We win AND get a pretty little ditty.

Disgustipated
12-08-2008, 11:16 PM
His show's already been canceled. What more can we do?

Kill him and systematically erase any trace of his bloodline. Then reprogram ourselves not to know who he is.

Lint of Death
12-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Guys, guys, I think we're being a little insensitive to Mencia's problem, as best explained by Dinosaur Comics:
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/1513/comic21384ei7.png
title="i hesitate to release the idea of preemptive plagiarism onto the internet, lest it be discovered that it has been preemptively plagiarized! :0"

Typical Michael
12-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Men-steal-iiaaaaaaa

Lint of Death
12-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Men-steal-iiaaaaaaa

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5959/93343444go9.gif

BlackScarab
12-08-2008, 11:35 PM
This video is horrible and so is Carlos Mencia.

squirrelTactics
12-09-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm in class right now, but I think now would be an appropriate time for somebody to throw up the video of Joe Rogan completely dominating Mencia during one of his shows.

Deadend
12-09-2008, 08:44 AM
I saw Mind of Mencia once, it was like Chappelle show without anything funny or smart.

Ink Asylum
12-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Mind of Mencia was canceled? About damn time.

Mike Kelehan
12-09-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm in class right now, but I think now would be an appropriate time for somebody to throw up the video of Joe Rogan completely dominating Mencia during one of his shows.

6nEH8H5BqWg

Skull3r
12-09-2008, 08:55 AM

I remember when I first saw that video. Didn't the comedy club first get angry at Joe Rogan? and then a second video came out with Carlos on a radio show, right? I arrive late to the whole Carlos Mencia scene...

Mike Kelehan
12-09-2008, 08:57 AM
I remember when I first saw that video. Didn't the comedy club first get angry at Joe Rogan? and then a second video came out with Carlos on a radio show, right? I arrive late to the whole Carlos Mencia scene...
QDmaG1-H25M

I do love it when people get nailed. You may call it "owned..." I prefer "nailed."

Mr. Murphy
12-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Christ I hate Mencia. I thought he was incredibly awesome the first time I saw his standup, when he did a very moving and sensitive piece about racial issues and the 9/11 attacks... and then he makes making fun of the retarded into his catchphrase. Way to go you goddamn hypocrite. Retards don't understand why you're laughing at them, and it's not funny.

Durh durh durh my ass. Guy should die in a fire.

Mr. Murphy
12-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Joe Rogan and Mencia yelling on youtube

That video raised my respect level for Joe Rogan quite a bit. They guy obviously cares and is involved in his craft.

MachEnergy
12-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Man, I saw Carlos perform before his show existed, and I have to admit it was an amazing night. He performed for 4 hours. He even started taking questions from the crowd and didn't turn down a single suggestion. I know it is common practice for a comic to have a joke prepared for most situations, but I was really impressed with the quality of his responses.

Then the show came out. I tried to like it for the first half of the first season....then just gave up. Afterward, all the Menstealia news came out, and I just had to let him go.

Erase his history from existence? No way! I had a great time that night, and so did all my friends. Ignore him until he goes away is more like it.

I used to like Dane Cook too....but that's another story.

Mr. Murphy
12-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Afterward, all the Menstealia news came out, and I just had to let him go.

Erase his history from existence? No way! I had a great time that night, and so did all my friends. Ignore him until he goes away is more like it.

I used to like Dane Cook too....but that's another story.

You can't downplay the significance of stealing another comic's bits, and it's pretty pathetic that Mencia tried. These people make a living on their originality and delivery. It's a humongous taboo, it's just as bad as one company stealing another companies development blueprints or something. I respect Joe Rogan (and honestly, I had kindof written off Joe Rogan as an idiot) for calling him out on this shit. It's repugnant to anybody even marginally involved in the entertainment industry.

I liked Dane Cook too, had a couple of his CDs, and I still find them funny. Did he do something to get himself so hated all of the sudden, or is it just because his style got old and he's a terrible actor?

LongStepMantis
12-09-2008, 09:22 AM

First off, let me say I don't like Ned...Carlos Mencia's comedy.

That being said, I don't like Joe Rogan either. The guy is a fucking loony. And not in the funny "ha ha" way, the "Oh...that guy is creepy nuts" way. He wishes he was Bill Hicks. Then again, don't we all. ;)

Mike Kelehan
12-09-2008, 09:27 AM
You can't downplay the significance of stealing another comic's bits, and it's pretty pathetic that Mencia tried. These people make a living on their originality and delivery. It's a humongous taboo, it's just as bad as one company stealing another companies development blueprints or something. I respect Joe Rogan (and honestly, I had kindof written off Joe Rogan as an idiot) for calling him out on this shit. It's repugnant to anybody even marginally involved in the entertainment industry.

My favorite part was his defense. "Writing jokes is hard!"

Mr. Murphy
12-09-2008, 09:28 AM
He wishes he was Bill Hicks. Then again, don't we all. ;)

God knows I do. At least I got the "wearing black and doing mushrooms" part down. ;)

Ink Asylum
12-09-2008, 09:33 AM
I liked Dane Cook too, had a couple of his CDs, and I still find them funny. Did he do something to get himself so hated all of the sudden, or is it just because his style got old and he's a terrible actor?

I still like Dane Cook. I don't see why he gets so much hate these days, either. I do agree he shouldn't act, though.

fitbabits
12-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Instead of stopping him, I'm more in favor of 'disappearing' him.

Mr. Murphy
12-09-2008, 09:35 AM
I still like Dane Cook. I don't see why he gets so much hate these days, either. I do agree he shouldn't act, though.

Well, I did a little research and Rogan claims he steals bits too, including one of Rogan's own. Which is too bad, because I've always laughed at his standup.

LongStepMantis
12-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Here's my take on Cook.

Let me open first by saying I don't care if others like him, I'm not the comedy police here to talk you out of it. I also am not familiar with a lot of his work because I've never been interested enough to watch much of it.

I like comedians with deeper insight into real life and the way we live it. Like Hicks or Carlin. Comedy that makes you think and question the way we perceive things.

I always see Cook running around yelling, acting like a jackass. I don't care for comedy that has to be expressed physically or with volume to get your point across. Mainly though it's his core audience that turns me away. Frat boy morons, idiot teenagers, preppy high school chicks, etc. My basic take is that anyone who draws those people in must be pandering to the lowest common denominators. Again, I'm stating my opinion on what little I have seen, not preaching as if it was the unadulterated truth.

That and 3 of the biggest idiot assholes I've ever known in my life love him.

Ink Asylum
12-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Yeah. I've heard that some of Dane's bits are stolen, which would be disappointing if true. Really, though, I could care less about accusations of joke stealing and other such nonsense. I know it's a big deal with the comedians themselves, but as a listener I couldn't care less. Is it entirely impossible for two people to come up with similar jokes about their itchy assholes?

If some comedian's entire schtick, every joke out of his mouth is a rip-off, then yeah, the guy's a loser. Dane Cook clearly uses like 99% original material, though, and I'll even extend that to Carlos Mencia, too. The difference is that Cook makes me laugh and Mencia makes me want to stab my eyes out with shrimp forks.

Caring about the behind the scenes drama of comedians if you're not a comedian is like reading internet flame wars for fun.

Mr. Murphy
12-09-2008, 09:48 AM
He wishes he was Bill Hicks. Then again, don't we all. ;)

I'm listening to Rogan talk on a radio show, and he also calls out Denis Leary for stealing Bill Hicks shit, which he did, but it still takes a lot of balls to say. People love Leary, and he built his entire career on Bill Hicks material and style, and everyone in the industry knows it. I was flabbergasted when I first heard Leary's "No Cure For Cancer" because it had over 15 minutes of material taken verbatim from Hicks. I really liked Leary before I realized he was a thief.

Still don't think Rogan is that funny, but I applaud him for being an activist regarding this shit.

Mr. Murphy
12-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Yeah. I've heard that some of Dane's bits are stolen, which would be disappointing if true. Really, though, I could care less about accusations of joke stealing and other such nonsense. I know it's a big deal with the comedians themselves, but as a listener I couldn't care less. Is it entirely impossible for two people to come up with similar jokes about their itchy assholes?

If some comedian's entire schtick, every joke out of his mouth is a rip-off, then yeah, the guy's a loser. Dane Cook clearly uses like 99% original material, though, and I'll even extend that to Carlos Mencia, too. The difference is that Cook makes me laugh and Mencia makes me want to stab my eyes out with shrimp forks.

Caring about the behind the scenes drama of comedians if you're not a comedian is like reading internet flame wars for fun.

Well, I'm not a comedian, but I'm entertainer, and this stuff is a HUGE deal to me. If somebody plagiarized part of my novel or part of my song, even if 99% of the rest of it was original, I'd be pretty upset. 1% plagiarism is not any more acceptable than 100% plagiarism, just like it's not okay to steal a candy bar from the grocery store because "it only costs 99 cents!". I don't want to support these people if they are stealing other peoples bits, so it does matter to me.

But you know, to each their own. Different things matter to different people.

LongStepMantis
12-09-2008, 09:52 AM
About the plagiarism...yeah, I don't know how true the claims are and don't care to make it a huge deal with all the drama around it. But I do find a lot of humor in the fact that George Lopez claimed Mencia stole bits from him, and it was later revealed that Lopez stole those bits from someone else.

Again, I am in no way defending Mencia, just saying that most of the joke plagiarism bullshit is next to nothing to begin with. Another reason I don't like Rogan. I don't care if he wants to point out someone may have plagiarized jokes, but he made it a personal crusade. Which is pretty sad coming from a very unfunny comic. Seemed to me like it was mostly sour grapes.

And yes, Leary's stand-up pretty much cannibalized Bill Hick's career posthumously. Which is bullshit, but I forgive Leary simply because I love his acting roles. Like his part in Suicide Kings: "These are fucking stingray boots!" and beating that one asshole with a toaster.

Mike Kelehan
12-09-2008, 09:53 AM
About the plagiarism...yeah, I don't know how true the claims are and don't care. Youtube has a great deal of evidence, including one where he stole from BILL COSBY: HIMSELF. I don't know how anyone thinks they can get away with that.

lCixAktGPlg

I do love free flow of information.

National Kato
Mencia annoys me because he acts like the style of comedy he does is groundbreaking, edgy, or clever. It's none of those.

Mr. Murphy
Again, I am in no way defending Mencia, just saying that most of the joke plagiarism bullshit is next to nothing to begin with. Another reason i don't like Rogan. I don't care if he wants to point out someone may have plagiarized jokes, but he made it a personal crusade. Which is pretty sad coming from a very unfunny comic. Seemed to me like it was mostly sour grapes.

Could be sour grapes, because I really don't think Rogan is funny either. The optimist in me wants to believe it's just a cause he really cares strongly about. Mostly because I care very strongly about it too. If I had his platform and audience, if people would actually listen to me, I would be saying a lot of the same things.

Ink Asylum
12-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Mainly though it's his core audience that turns me away. Frat boy morons, idiot teenagers, preppy high school chicks, etc. My basic take is that anyone who draws those people in must be pandering to the lowest common denominators.

You make some valid points but, at the risk of sounding preachy, I think you shouldn't completely prejudge something just because it's popular with people you hate. It's possible you'll get something different from it than the rabble do.

Not trying to sell you on Cook, I just think you're judging him for the wrong reasons.

LongStepMantis
12-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Youtube has a great deal of evidence, including one where he stole from BILL COSBY: HIMSELF. I don't know how anyone thinks they can get away with that.

lCixAktGPlg

I edited my original statement because it came out wrong. I don't mean that I don't care if people plagiarize jokes, I meant I don't care for all the drama around it. i still think Mencia is a douche for stealing jokes, but I leave it at that.

Mr. Murphy
12-09-2008, 09:58 AM
You make some valid points but, at the risk of sounding preachy, I think you shouldn't completely prejudge something just because it's popular with people you hate. It's possible you'll get something different from it than the rabble do.

Not trying to sell you on Cook, I just think you're judging him for the wrong reasons.

Scurvy, why are you associating with those kinds of people in the first place? I'm going to assume you're still in college?

I've never had to deal with those kinds of people ruining my appreciation of Cook because after I left school I just never encountered them anymore. I'm not trying to sell you on Cook either, he got pretty old for me, but he used to make me laugh pretty hard, especially back before he got big, when I would watch stand-up on Comedy Central in the nineties.

LongStepMantis
12-09-2008, 09:59 AM

I'll openly admit that I am probably wrong for judging him in that way, but what little I've seen of him reinforces that idea. So I just went with it.

LongStepMantis
12-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Scurvy, why are you associating with those kinds of people in the first place? I'm going to assume you're still in college?

I've never had to deal with those kinds of people ruining my appreciation of Cook because after I left school I just never encountered them anymore. I'm not trying to sell you on Cook either, he got pretty old for me, but he used to make me laugh pretty hard, especially back before he got big, when I would watch stand-up on Comedy Central in the nineties.

I'm going to assume given your post that you meant to address me and not Ink. ;)

And as for why I see people like that? I live in a University town, but it's not a large town. The town's population probably halves, easily, when school isn't in session. It's unavoidable to see people like that daily. Also I am taking classes there to finish my degree and I'm a good decade older than the average student.

Ink Asylum
12-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Well, I'm not a comedian, but I'm entertainer, and this stuff is a HUGE deal to me. If somebody plagiarized part of my novel or part of my song, even if 99% of the rest of it was original, I'd be pretty upset. 1% plagiarism is not any more acceptable than 100% plagiarism, just like it's not okay to steal a candy bar from the grocery store because "it only costs 99 cents!". I don't want to support these people if they are stealing other peoples bits, so it does matter to me.

Well, as an artist I can see where you're coming from. It'd bug me if someone else's character or illustration seemed to be a bit of a ripoff of something I did, but I believe in giving someone the benefit of the doubt until they've proven themselves as a serial thief. Something that looks like a deliberate copy or ripoff could just as easily be a fluke, a case of the lightning of inspiration striking twice.

Also, unless you live in a mountaintop monastery any art you produce is somewhat influenced by your lifetime of media consumption. Sometimes you'll write or draw something and show it to someone else who points out how it reminds them of such-and-such and you suddenly realize "Holy shit, it does," because your subconscious pulled something from deep in your memory and you didn't even notice.

That's not to defend true plagiarists, but I think it's best not to jump to conclusions.

Ink Asylum
12-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Mencia annoys me because he acts like the style of comedy he does is groundbreaking, edgy, or clever. It's none of those.

Yeah, that's what I hate about him, too, and it comes through in his act. Ohoho! Asians can't drive! My sides are splitting!

Mr. Murphy
12-09-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm going to assume given your post that you meant to address me and not Ink. ;)

And as for why I see people like that? I live in a University town, but it's not a large town. The town's population probably halves, easily, when school isn't in session. It's unavoidable to see people like that daily. Also I am taking classes there to finish my degree and I'm a good decade older than the average student.

Yeah, I edited for clarity. That's a shame, I can't tell you how satisfying it was for me to leave the dorms and know I would never have to hang around with a bunch of ignorant assholes again if I didn't want to. School is great for exposing you to a lot of different kinds of people, but it's also great that it ends and you're allowed to start deciding what you want to let into your life.

LongStepMantis
12-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I edited for clarity. That's a shame, I can't tell you how satisfying it was for me to leave the dorms and know I would never have to hang around with a bunch of ignorant assholes again if I didn't want to. School is great for exposing you to a lot of different kinds of people, but it's also great that it ends and you're allowed to start deciding what you want to let into your life.

I hate it here. But that degree will hopefully allow me more freedom afterwords than "which food place can I work at?" ;)

Typical Michael
12-09-2008, 10:09 AM
I watched the show a couple of times, and all he seems to do is yell at me in Spanish. Stolen or not, I dont enjoy his presentation.

Mr. Murphy
12-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Well, as an artist I can see where you're coming from. It'd bug me if someone else's character or illustration seemed to be a bit of a ripoff of something I did, but I believe in giving someone the benefit of the doubt until they've proven themselves as a serial thief. Something that looks like a deliberate copy or ripoff could just as easily be a fluke, a case of the lightning of inspiration striking twice.

Also, unless you live in a mountaintop monastery any art you produce is somewhat influenced by your lifetime of media consumption. Sometimes you'll write or draw something and show it to someone else who points out how it reminds them of such-and-such and you suddenly realize "Holy shit, it does," because your subconscious pulled something from deep in your memory and you didn't even notice.

That's not to defend true plagiarists, but I think it's best not to jump to conclusions.

I completely agree, but the entire time we've been taking part in this thread, I've been googling in another tab and listening to audio of some of these comedians talking, and there actually is a lot of evidence of Mecia stealing other comedians bits, and I experienced the Leary-Hicks plagiarism myself (and I'm serious when I say a full fifteen minutes, all at once, of Leary's first CD was verbatim a Bill Hicks routine. It was like tracks 3, 4, and 5 of No Cure For Cancer). Dane Cook, as far as I can tell, might have altered a joke or two to fit his own style, but he has his own thing going when he's on stage, and it doesn't seem to be something he does a lot. More like he had a whole lineup of jokes, and maybe found a line that already sounded like part of the same patter, so he altered it a little and added it into his own routine.

I'm all for the benefit of the doubt. And inspiration is important to any art. But when they say "Art is theft" they don't mean it's okay to perform other people's shit. If I cover a song on stage, I damn well announce "This is a song by _____" before I start.

Ink Asylum
12-09-2008, 10:12 AM

I had a similar experience going to a Flogging Molly concert. The drunken frat boys that showed up almost ruined the show for me but I still like the band.

Ink Asylum
12-09-2008, 10:21 AM
I completely agree, but the entire time we've been taking part in this thread, I've been googling in another tab and listening to audio of some of these comedians talking, and there actually is a lot of evidence of Mecia stealing other comedians bits, and I experienced the Leary-Hicks plagiarism myself (and I'm serious when I say a full fifteen minutes, all at once, of Leary's first CD was verbatim a Bill Hicks routine. It was like tracks 3, 4, and 5 of No Cure For Cancer).

I hated Mencia long before I heard about any joke-stealing, so it doesn't much change my opinion of him. The Leary stuff is really disappointing, though, because from how it sounds it goes far beyond the point where it can be explained away and into outright plagiarism, and I really enjoyed that album when I was younger. Leary has real talent, though probably more as an actor than comedian these days, so you'd expect better from him.

Dane Cook, as far as I can tell, might have altered a joke or two to fit his own style, but he has his own thing going when he's on stage, and it doesn't seem to be something he does a lot. More like he had a whole lineup of jokes, and maybe found a line that already sounded like part of the same patter, so he altered it a little and added it into his own routine.

Yeah, I haven't seen any accusations against Cook that convinced me he built his career on someone else's material or was a consistent offender. It's much more of a gray area with him, and his most memorable routines are clearly his material.

diablopath
12-09-2008, 10:22 AM
I had a similar experience going to a Flogging Molly concert. The drunken frat boys that showed up almost ruined the show for me but I still like the band.

Quoted for truth.

Mr. Murphy
12-09-2008, 10:24 AM
I hated Mencia long before I heard about any joke-stealing, so it doesn't much change my opinion of him. The Leary stuff is really disappointing, though, because from how it sounds it goes far beyond the point where it can be explained away and into outright plagiarism, and I really enjoyed that album when I was younger. Leary has real talent, though probably more as an actor than comedian these days, so you'd expect better from him.

Dude, it was a HUGE disappointment for me, since I didn't listen to the CD until I had fallen in love with Rescue Me and Leary in general. Then to discover he literally built his career on my favorite comedian's material... I remember sitting there listening to No Cure For Cancer and feeling like I'd been punched in the stomach.

Ink Asylum
12-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Quoted for truth.

Ugh. It was ugly. There was a point where they started throwing cups of beer at one of the opening bands and I had a disgusted thought, "These morons like the same band I like?" So I can at least understand where Scurvy is coming from.

Mr. Murphy
12-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Ugh. It was ugly. There was a point where they started throwing cups of beer at one of the opening bands and I had a disgusted thought, "These morons like the same band I like?" So I can at least understand where Scurvy is coming from.

I fucking hate that shit. If you don't like the opening band, go hang at the bar or smoke a butt. Don't be a dick about it. Nobody goes to your job and throws beer on you when you forget the cheese on another burger, you drunk fuck.

LongStepMantis
12-09-2008, 10:40 AM
I fucking hate that shit. If you don't like the opening band, go hang at the bar or smoke a butt. Don't be a dick about it. Nobody goes to your job and throws beer on you when you forget the cheese on another burger, you drunk fuck.

No way, they'll all be rich and powerful executives someday!

Now if only they could pass remedial English! That shit is hard! :p

frederec
12-09-2008, 10:43 AM

It could be worse. I once went to a punk show (The Queers with openers Screw 32 and The Groovie Ghoolies), and there was a group of skinheads who showed up just so they could cuss and spit at and flip off the various bands. They also had their own mosh pit. And by that I mean they would mosh and everyone else in the club just formed a circle around them and refused to participate.

It was kinda funny though, one of the bands started giving insults right back. It was about the most entertaining neo-nazis have been outside of Blues Brothers.

Mr. Murphy
12-09-2008, 10:44 AM
It could be worse. I once went to a punk show (The Queers with openers Screw 32 and The Groovie Ghoolies), and there was a group of skinheads who showed up just so they could cuss and spit at and flip off the various bands. They also had their own mosh pit. And by that I mean they would mosh and everyone else in the club just formed a circle around them and refused to participate.

It was kinda funny though, one of the bands started giving insults right back. It was about the most entertaining neo-nazis have been outside of Blues Brothers.

Nazi punks fuck off. I'm surprised they didn't get gang beat.

frederec
12-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Nazi punks fuck off. I'm surprised they didn't get gang beat.

That's the cool thing about punk shows. A guy I knew described it to me once. You go into a mosh pit at a metal show. If you fall down, someone will stomp on your face. You fall down in a mosh pit at a punk show, someone will pick you up, make sure you're okay, then happily throw you back in. They tend to be more civil. And the one or two I've seen bear this out.

I think both sides didn't want to start any full-on violence, since then the cops would get involved.

LongStepMantis
12-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Being from a small, Midwest area we don't see skinheads much. Hillbillies and Klan members are more frequent haters.

The one time I did see 3 or 4 skinheads with wife beaters and black boots and suspenders on, a group of big black guys confronted them and they ran away. Classic.

A guy I know once got into a mosh pit at a metal show...for about 2 seconds. As soon as he entered it one of the other guys punched him in the face and broke his fucking nose. He left with blood streaming down his face.

Mike Kelehan
12-09-2008, 10:49 AM
I edited my original statement because it came out wrong. I don't mean that I don't care if people plagiarize jokes, I meant I don't care for all the drama around it. i still think Mencia is a douche for stealing jokes, but I leave it at that.

Right, but it's not the "don't care" I was refuting, but rather the "don't know." With all the evidence, we DO know that he steals jokes. How much you care about it is up to you; I care a lot.

Mr. Murphy
12-09-2008, 10:50 AM
That's the cool thing about punk shows. A guy I knew described it to me once. You go into a mosh pit at a metal show. If you fall down, someone will stomp on your face. You fall down in a mosh pit at a punk show, someone will pick you up, make sure you're okay, then happily throw you back in. They tend to be more civil. And the one or two I've seen bear this out.

I think both sides didn't want to start any full-on violence, since then the cops would get involved.

Same thing at a NIN show. I'm always in the pits, and it really makes you feel good when you slam into someone, knock them down, and then extend a hand and pull them right back up again, give them a pat on the back, and the shove them at some other guy.

Edit: Also, the dudes who get into mosh pits and start throwing elbows and punches can eat a bucket of dicks.

Ink Asylum
12-09-2008, 10:52 AM

Well said. I think it was mostly because it was the third opening band and almost two hours since the first opener came on the stage, but come the fuck on, it's not those poor saps' fault.

LongStepMantis
12-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Right, but it's not the "don't care" I was refuting, but rather the "don't know." With all the evidence, we DO know that he steals jokes. How much you care about it is up to you; I care a lot.

I just meant I don't know much about it aside from the popular knowledge.
I've seen that clip before, and I do believe Mencia stole it. So he's a prick.
After that, I just write him off and forget the whole thing. I'm not arguing against you in any way.

Pureboy
12-12-2008, 01:51 PM

Not trying to sell you on Cook, I just think you're judging him for the wrong reasons.I heard a comedian make fun of how bad Dane Cook is, and I decided to record one of his HBO specials to see what all the fuss was about. I watched the first 15 minutes, and honestly could not figure out what was funny. I heard his mouth moving, understood what he was saying, but could not figure out what the audience was laughing at. It was like a foreign language. Then I decided he was the least funny popular comedian I've ever seen and erased the show.

The most I can figure it, he tells stories about "funny" situations. Its just that they are about as "funny" as Alanis is "ironic." And Kevin Smith tells a funny story off-the-cuff about 100x better than Dane Cook does with his prepared material.

(as a background, I like everything from tame Rita Rudner, classic Bill Cosby and Seinfeld to Bill Hicks, Louie CK, and everything in between.)

Mr. Murphy
12-12-2008, 02:02 PM
I heard a comedian make fun of how bad Dane Cook is, and I decided to record one of his HBO specials to see what all the fuss was about. I watched the first 15 minutes, and honestly could not figure out what was funny. I heard his mouth moving, understood what he was saying, but could not figure out what the audience was laughing at. It was like a foreign language. Then I decided he was the least funny popular comedian I've ever seen and erased the show.

Well, you got it figured out. You either think the WAY he tells his stories is funny, or you don't. It's not his jokes, but his personality and style, that make people laugh. But you know how it is, everyone thinks different things are funny - my girlfriend is completely not impressed by The Office, whereas I think it's the funniest thing on TV.

Dane Cook is what's called a personality comic. He got a laugh out of me for a while, because of his frantic stage presence and over the top attitude, and then he started to annoy me, until now I'm at the point where I wouldn't watch him if you paid me.

QueQueg
12-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Accusations that Dane Cook has ripped off Louise CK and Dimitri Martin have been around for a while. Youtube is a good source of information (or at least, there's stuff on there, whether it's believable or not, don't know.)

I happen to think that Louise CK and Dimitri Martin are both funnier than Dane Cook.

LongStepMantis
12-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Accusations that Dane Cook has ripped off Louise CK and Dimitri Martin have been around for a while. Youtube is a good source of information (or at least, there's stuff on there, whether it's believable or not, don't know.)

I happen to think that Louise CK and Dimitri Martin are both funnier than Dane Cook.

Dimitri Martin reminds me of Steven Wright, only with some actual stories instead of just two liners and other things, like props. I don't know why I found his chart about "Cuteness of a girl vs. How interested he is in hearing about her cat" so funny, but it works for me.

I could easily see others not finding him as funny as I do, I just love his "awkward geek" style.

MachEnergy
12-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Dimitri Martin reminds me of Steven Wright, only with some actual stories instead of just two liners and other things, like props. I don't know why I found his chart about "Cuteness of a girl vs. How interested he is in hearing about her cat" so funny, but it works for me.

I could easily see others not finding him as funny as I do, I just love his "awkward geek" style.

Then I would say, "You sir have fantastic taste!"

Mr. Murphy
12-12-2008, 02:33 PM

So if I love Wright (which I do) are you saying I'd love Martin? I have to check him out.

I have a Stephen Wright CD (I Have A Pony) that I can play for people and tell them it was recorded yesterday, an there isn't a single joke that gives away the fact that it's from the 1980s. And it's still funny.

Can't mention Wright without mentioning Mitch Hedberg, RIP.

LongStepMantis
12-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Then I would say, "You sir have fantastic taste!"

For great justice! I like when he mixes jokes and music.

XiFrfeJ8dKM
The video itself is fan-made.

Mr. Murphy
12-12-2008, 02:37 PM

XiFrfeJ8dKM

I know that voice! He was on Flight of the Conchords!! HELL YEAH

It's Demetri, BTW.

LongStepMantis
12-12-2008, 02:38 PM
I know that voice! He was on Flight of the Conchords!! HELL YEAH

It's Demetri, BTW.

Thanks for the help...ladies. ;)

Mr. Murphy
12-12-2008, 02:38 PM
The video itself is fan-made.

Thanks man, this stuff is a riot.

Thanks for the help...ladies. ;)

Blondes not bombs.

QueQueg
12-12-2008, 02:40 PM
His visual aids are hysterical.

..."My ability to draw mountains over time."

Mr. Murphy
12-12-2008, 02:41 PM
His visual aids are hysterical.

..."My ability to draw mountains over time."

I am laughing just imagining this. This guy is my new favorite thing.

"Excuse me, are you cinnamon buns?

Betcher sweet ass I am."

My new favorite comedian

Seriously. How did I miss this guy. Thank you so much. So much. So many excellent one liners here, this is my favorite form of comedy, and he's completely excellent at it.

Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.

LongStepMantis
12-12-2008, 02:43 PM
I am laughing just imagining this. This guy is my new favorite thing.

"Excuse me, are you cinnamon buns?

Betcher sweet ass I am."

"I wanna design a video game where you take care of all the characters shot in the other games."

"Hey man, what are you playin?"

"Super Busy Hospital...2...Please leave me alone, I have to treat this guy who's been shot in the head 57 times."

Mr. Murphy
12-12-2008, 02:44 PM
"I wanna design a video game where you take care of all the characters shot in the other games."

"Hey man, what are you playin?"

"Super Busy Hospital...2...Please leave me alone, I have to treat this guy who's been shot in the head 57 times."

Longpointies?

Edit: Can't stop laughing

LongStepMantis
12-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Longpointies?

"What's he doing?"

"Eating ants."

"DONE!"

Mr. Murphy
12-12-2008, 02:48 PM
"What's he doing?"

"Eating ants."

"DONE!"

We gotta stop before this becomes the 'quote Demetri Martin' thread.

This guy is awesome, thank you so much. I can't wait for my girlfriend to get home so I can play this for her.

LongStepMantis
12-12-2008, 02:51 PM
We gotta stop before this becomes the 'quote Demetri Martin' thread.

This guy is awesome, thank you so much. I can't wait for my girlfriend to get home so I can play this for her.

Always glad to help spread the laughter. I stumbled on his album a while back before I'd ever heard of him and the wife and I took it on a 3-hour car trip.
We just let it repeat the entire way there and back.

Mr. Murphy
12-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Always glad to help spread the laughter. I stumbled on his album a while back before I'd ever heard of him and the wife and I took it on a 3-hour car trip.
We just let it repeat the entire way there and back.

I just quoted some of his shit to the ladyfriend when she called me just now and got her laughing pretty hard. I'm looking for this album on amazon right now to pick up as a christmas gift.

She had heard of him before, but never heard his standup, because he plays a character on Flight of the Conchords called Demetri in a band alongside Todd Barry, who I also love. If you love this kind of humor, you'd probably do yourself a favor by picking up the Flight of the Conchords season one DVD for Christmas this year.

LongStepMantis
12-12-2008, 03:01 PM
I just quoted some of his shit to the ladyfriend when she called me just now and got her laughing pretty hard. I'm looking for this album on amazon right now to pick up as a christmas gift.

She had heard of him before, but never heard his standup, because he plays a character on Flight of the Conchords called Demetri in a band alongside Todd Barry, who I also love. If you love this kind of humor, you'd probably do yourself a favor by picking up the Flight of the Conchords season one DVD for Christmas this year.

That wouldn't be a bad idea. I like their material a lot as well, but I've only seen one episode of the show. The rest has been from a stand-up special they had on TV a while back and youtube videos.

This is still my favorite bit by them:
WGoi1MSGu64
Albi the racist dragon is a close second.

I love his Microsoft SAM voice.

darkbase
12-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Haven't seen Zach Galifianakis mentioned yet...

D_RKi72nY2Q

but then again this thread is about how much Ned sucks.

diablopath
12-12-2008, 03:05 PM

This is true, at least from what I've seen.
The Flogging Molly show was less of this, because I believe a lot of people just want to mosh, and they don't understand the unspoken criteria of doing so.

I went to Gainesville over Halloween weekend where about 250 punk bands played, and it was pretty epic. Anytime somebody got knocked down, dropped a camera or something, everybody around them would form a small barricade long enough for them to get their shit.

When my crowd surfing ended with me on the ground, about four people instantly pulled me up. When people fall, you get behind them and push 'em back up.

I haven't really seen that at any larger shows.

Mr. Murphy

I have that DVD sitting on the shelf here, I love that guy. He's a pretty unhappy man IRL tho, which is a shame. Ever see the Fiona Apple video with him in it?

krTE0AJkqj4

LongStepMantis

D_RKi72nY2Q

Zach is definitely awesome. I just assumed we all knew that. ;)
The way he can act so completely serious during his routines kills me as much as the actual comedy. He's one of those performers that you know is as weird in real life as his stage persona.

Generation ABXY
12-12-2008, 03:07 PM
I can't listen to Martin without being reduced to a sputtering of tears and urine. Good stuff, man. Good stuff.