PDA

View Full Version : "Play for Wii" initial games list revealed

Doctor Setebos
10-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Joystiq has the details (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/02/pikmin-remake-launches-dec-25-in-japan-nintendo-unveils-more-p/) on the initial set of GameCube games that will be "re-invented" as Wii titles that will make use of the Wii remote's motion sensitivity or pointer functionality. The first batch of "Play for Wii" titles include Mario Tennis GC, Chibi Robo, Pikmin, Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. The only pricing revealed so far is that the initial Pikmin game will be released in Japan on December 25th for a price of approximately $36. No word yet on pricing for the remaining titles, or dates of availability in the United States.

NoName
10-02-2008, 08:27 AM
I've always wanted to play Chibi Robo. That should be interesting with Wii controls.

Gorvi
10-02-2008, 08:29 AM
I was wondering when they'd get around to this. They mentioned that this was planned back at E3 2006. I wouldn't rebuy games I already have, but playing the Pikmin games for the first time would seem like a solid fit with Wii controls.

Deimos
10-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Maybe I'll pick up Mario Tennis but I already have the others. I can't justify re-buying any of those just to have new control schemes. If only there was a way to patch the GC copies I already own.

Restlessavenger
10-02-2008, 09:11 AM
The first batch of "Play for Wii" titles include Mario Tennis GC, [U]Chibi Robo, Pikmin, Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.

That sound you just heard? The sound of Spigot's head exploding.

quidmonkey
10-02-2008, 09:23 AM
DKJB? Really? Fuck you Nintendo for making DKBB without the bongos.

How about SSBM being reinvented for online?

mister slim
10-02-2008, 09:53 AM
You all had damn well better buy Chibi Robo.

Sl1pstream
10-02-2008, 09:54 AM
I already have Chibi Robo.

Does this mean that the value of my Pikmin 2 copy is going to go down? Because I wouldn't like that.

Deimos
10-02-2008, 09:57 AM
DKJB? Really? Fuck you Nintendo for making DKBB without the bongos.

That doesn't make any sense to me either. The remote/nunchuck can be adapted to a lot of different styles but it is NOT meant to replace bongo drums.

AniAko
10-02-2008, 10:09 AM
YOW $36 for pikmin, again? The wii controls don't make that much of a difference

quidmonkey
10-02-2008, 10:09 AM
So instead of new games, Nintendo has taken to updating old games to pacify ye hardcore gamers. Woot, yes! Rock the fuck on!

Doctor Setebos
10-02-2008, 10:13 AM
So instead of new games, Nintendo has taken to updating old games to pacify ye hardcore gamers. Woot, yes! Rock the fuck on!Yep, that's right. Nintendo is tired of everyone making heaping piles of cash taking PS2 games and "re-inventing" them as Wii games, and has decided to try this whole "porting" phenomenon out for themselves. Go us.

quidmonkey
10-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Yep, that's right. Nintendo is tired of everyone making heaping piles of cash taking PS2 games and "re-inventing" them as Wii games, and has decided to try this whole "porting" phenomenon out for themselves. Go us.

Wouldn't want any more third party million sellers, now would we? Gotta keep them first party titles on top.

danhoo
10-02-2008, 10:31 AM
While these are all fine games (most of which I already have), this does smack of some milking on Nintendo's part. Plus, I can't really see how changing the control scheme on Chibi is really going to add all that much.

jpublic
10-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Metroid Prime 1 and 2? WIth the MP3 control scheme. FUCK YES.

quidmonkey
10-02-2008, 10:33 AM

I'd buy MP, and possibly Pikmin 2, as I have yet to play it. Mario Tennis? No thanks. It's a shallow experience compared to the 64 version.

Doctor Setebos
10-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Metroid Prime 1 and 2? WIth the MP3 control scheme. FUCK YES.That's one that caught my eye, as well. But if they release both of them separately for ~$36 each, they've lost me. Put them together in a bundle pack for $30 and I'm there.

JayVe
10-02-2008, 10:48 AM

I'm completely with you on this. As for the others, Pikmin may be worthwhile. All of these were good games that didn't get enough mainstream acceptance cause the GameCube was last-gen's 3rd place console. Heck, I think we should get more Saturn ports for the Wii, since it had a number of gems that not enough people got to play.

KSmitty
10-02-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm down for Prime1 with Wii controls and Pikmin 2 with Wii controls. Mario Tennis might be fun, but I would rather a ground up title using the Motion PLus.

Troggles
10-02-2008, 12:25 PM

While I was a bit disappointed at first with this news, as I want more original stuff from Nintendo, the possibility of just that made my pants wet.

itchyeyes
10-02-2008, 12:28 PM
So let me get this straight, Nintendo wants to take 6 year old games that we already own and already play on the Wii, map the controls to the Wii remote and sell them to us for $36?

Fuck. This. Shit.

TheFlyingOrc
10-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Yeah, Metroid Prime would be amazing.

Jungle Beat has me confused. That game was fun BECAUSE of the bongos. If you have to tap the remote and nunchuk down, it will just be annoying.

TheFlyingOrc
10-02-2008, 12:30 PM
So let me get this straight, Nintendo wants to take 6 year old games that we already own and already play on the Wii, map the controls to the Wii remote and sell them to us for $36?

Fuck. This. Shit.

Well, there are at least 5 million people who don't already own them, because 5 million more Wiis have sold than Gamecubes.

It's a fast way to make money and expose games to those who never played them. Also, Metroid Prime is going to be awesome.

Gorvi
10-02-2008, 12:30 PM
The outrage and surprise with this is something I'm not understanding. Maybe my earlier post was missed, so let me say this again:

They said at E3 2006 that this was their plan eventually. This is not something new.

quidmonkey
10-02-2008, 12:32 PM
They said at E3 2006 that this was their plan eventually. This is not something new.

Source?

Nintendo, like Sony & MS, has a tendency of saying things that never come true.

TheFlyingOrc
10-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Source?

....like what? They lie about release dates, but they usually don't make up products.

J Arcane
10-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Wouldn't want any more third party million sellers, now would we? Gotta keep them first party titles on top.
You know, given how many of the top sellers for the 360 and PS3 now are first- or second-party titles this criticism is starting to sound a little hollow.

TheFlyingOrc
10-02-2008, 12:36 PM
You know, given how many of the top sellers for the 360 and PS3 now are first- or second-party titles this criticism is starting to sound a little hollow.

Also you don't NEED to sell a million copies on the Wii to make money. They should be passing the 360 in 3rd party games over 400,000 in the next year or so.

edit: 43 third party games over 400K. Microsoft has about twice that many (89), but more companies should get a boost from Christmas on Nintendo's system this year than Microsoft's. Sony's at about 40 and has a slower growing install base.

quidmonkey
10-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Also you don't NEED to sell a million copies on the Wii to make money. They should be passing the 360 in 3rd party games over 400,000 in the next year or so.

Shh...Orcs aren't suppose to be the voice of reason :p

Gorvi
10-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Source?

I can't find anything offhand, but I clearly recall Nintendo saying that they were strongly considering rereleasing older Gamecube games on the Wii with redone controls at E3 2006.

quidmonkey
10-02-2008, 12:41 PM
....like what? They lie about release dates, but they usually don't make up products.

Last year, Iwata said they weren't keen on churning out a Wii Sports sequel. E3 08 rolls around, and the big game is...Wii Sports 2.

Or maybe how E3 08 was suppose to be for hardcore gamers. Err, oops.

Or maybe how they won't allow in-game chat. Hey, what's this WiiSpeak thing...?

OrangePulp
10-02-2008, 12:42 PM

I think they should do that with SSBB instead. /rimshot

This sounds like a good idea, but... $36, for some ports? Doesn't really seem worth the money. Not really surprising coming out of nintendo, though; they're the ones who release NES games like SMB3 for GBA for $30 (and I paid up for that one).

TheFlyingOrc
10-02-2008, 12:49 PM
I think they should do that with SSBB instead. /rimshot

This sounds like a good idea, but... $36, for some ports? Doesn't really seem worth the money. Not really surprising coming out of nintendo, though; they're the ones who release NES games like SMB3 for GBA for $30 (and I paid up for that one).

Yeah, the GBA ports of NES games were absolutely disgusting.

Wait, the remake you're talking about wasn't that bad. But $20 for a non-changed Urban Champion?

quidmonkey
10-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Last year, Iwata said they weren't keen on churning out a Wii Sports sequel. E3 08 rolls around, and the big game is...Wii Sports 2.

Or maybe how E3 08 was suppose to be for hardcore gamers. Err, oops.

Or maybe how they won't allow in-game chat. Hey, what's this WiiSpeak thing...?

Sources

No Wii Sports 2 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6178806.html) in the near future

Hardcore E3 (http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/192388/nintendo-to-core-gamers-we-will-be-announcing-several-new-titles-at-e3/)

Still looking for one on the third

EDIT

I may have to take back my third (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/rumor/nintendo-wii-to-get-voice-chat-334091.php). Prior to Dec 07, Wii voice chat was a no-no.

itchyeyes
10-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Well, there are at least 5 million people who don't already own them, because 5 million more Wiis have sold than Gamecubes.

It's a fast way to make money and expose games to those who never played them. Also, Metroid Prime is going to be awesome.
First of all, this has nothing to do with bringing these games to the Wii for people haven't played them, so don't try and make it about that. Anyone who wanted to play these games on the Wii can easily pick them up on Amazon or at Gamestop for less than $10.

This is a money grab, nothing else. Nintendo has determined that the Wii audience is completely undiscerning and will buy whatever they put on the shelf. The obvious solution to that is to put the cheapest games possible on the shelf, and what else is cheaper than games you've already made.

And to be honest, I wouldn't normally mind this kind of thing, except this kind of thing seems to be the only kind of thing Nintendo does anymore.

TheFlyingOrc
10-02-2008, 12:52 PM
First of all, this has nothing to do with bringing these games to the Wii for people haven't played them, so don't try and make it about that. Anyone who wanted to play these games on the Wii can easily pick them up on Amazon or at Gamestop for less than $10.

This is a money grab, nothing else. Nintendo has determined that the Wii audience is completely undiscerning and will buy whatever they put on the shelf. The obvious solution to that is to put the cheapest games possible on the shelf, and what else is cheaper than games you've already made.

And to be honest, I wouldn't normally mind this kind of thing, except this kind of thing seems to be the only kind of thing Nintendo does anymore.

I can think of no reason why this negatively reflects Nintendo. How dare they find a way to make money!

I'm upset over their lack of quality, ultra-polished games right now (unlike last year), but this is silly. They probably paid a team of less than 2 dozen people to do this.

Sl1pstream
10-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Yeah, Metroid Prime would be amazing.

Jungle Beat has me confused. That game was fun BECAUSE of the bongos. If you have to tap the remote and nunchuk down, it will just be annoying.

Smash them together instead of clapping your hands. Think of the extra hardware they could sell!

Gorvi
10-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Other than the fact that these should be $20, I see no real problem.

itchyeyes
10-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I can think of no reason why this negatively reflects Nintendo. How dare they find a way to make money!

I'm upset over their lack of quality, ultra-polished games right now (unlike last year), but this is silly. They probably paid a team of less than 2 dozen people to do this.
I never said it negatively impacts Nintendo. I'm sure it will be a freaking gold mine for them. But just because something is good for Nintendo, doesn't mean that I, as the consumer, have to be happy about it. Maybe it did just take a couple people to pull this off. But if so, where the hell are the rest of their products that the other teams are working on?

Be it this, or Wii Music, or Wii Fit, every new product that Nintendo announces represents more and more manpower and energy that they are not committing to core gaming products. This is just the last in a long string of announcements that illustrates that not only does Nintendo not have anything for us in the works, they don't plan to either. Again, I'm not saying that's bad for Nintendo, but that doesn't mean that I'm happy about it. Hence the reason I'm upset by hearing about this.

TheFlyingOrc
10-02-2008, 01:12 PM
I never said it negatively impacts Nintendo. I'm sure it will be a freaking gold mine for them. But just because something is good for Nintendo, doesn't mean that I, as the consumer, have to be happy about it. Maybe it did just take a couple people to pull this off. But if so, where the hell are the rest of their products that the other teams are working on?

Be it this, or Wii Music, or Wii Fit, every new product that Nintendo announces represents more and more manpower and energy that they are not committing to core gaming products. This is just the last in a long string of announcements that illustrates that not only does Nintendo not have anything for us in the works, they don't plan to either. Again, I'm not saying that's bad for Nintendo, but that doesn't mean that I'm happy about it. Hence the reason I'm upset by hearing about this.

I said negatively REFLECTS Nintendo.

I agree when it comes to things like Wii Fit and Wii Music, and I'm upset about them. I don't think this is a large enough thing to distract the company, it's just free money.

itchyeyes
10-02-2008, 01:15 PM
I said negatively REFLECTS Nintendo.
Oh... -1 pt for reading comprehension

quidmonkey
10-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I can't find anything offhand, but I clearly recall Nintendo saying that they were strongly considering rereleasing older Gamecube games on the Wii with redone controls at E3 2006.

Source

Miyamoto hints at it in an E3 2006 interview (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/55137/new_wii_control_for_twilight_princess.html?cat=19)

Shame on you for not doing your own research :p

Gorvi
10-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Source

Miyamoto hints at it in an E3 2006 interview (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/55137/new_wii_control_for_twilight_princess.html?cat=19)

Shame on you for not doing your own research :p
Well, now I know I don't have to, since you'll just do it for me. ;)

The Doctor
10-02-2008, 02:16 PM
From my point of view, these are several titles I was meaning to go back and play, so the possibility of an improved version on the Wii gives me a greater chance of buying it new rather than used.

I loved Metroid Prime, but never got around to playing the copy of Metroid Prime 2 I picked up. This may make me hold out for the Wii version.

Ondo
10-02-2008, 03:09 PM
This is not even close to true. Pikmin 2 is $40 used at Gamestop, and even more expensive at Amazon. Not to mention that many people with a Wii would also have to buy a GameCube memory card and controller before they could play.

Purple Santa
10-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Rehashing of the "past" is nothing new. I just hate it when it's nothing i'll play ...

Variable Gear
10-02-2008, 04:53 PM
This is what I want. If Nintendo simply added a few more characters/stages and allowed players to use items like they can in Brawl, I would be all over this. I was playing Melee for about two hours this afternoon... :)

mister slim
10-02-2008, 05:48 PM
I definitely see some Pikmin 2 co-op in my future. For some reason I never picked up a copy, and now I can't find my Pikmin 1 either. And I've been begging for MP1&2 with 3's controls since before 3 came out. Can't complain.

boratika
10-02-2008, 11:52 PM
sorry folks, wall of text ensues.Well, there are at least 5 million people who don't already own them, because 5 million more Wiis have sold than Gamecubes.
You're a bit off there. There were just over 20m Gamecubes sold in it's life and 30m Wiis sold by July. And of course, going forward, demand is still crazy high, so there's going to be a huge number of people with Wiis that never played these games. Whether or not they'll care remains to be seen.
SourcesHardcore E3 (http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/192388/nintendo-to-core-gamers-we-will-be-announcing-several-new-titles-at-e3/)
I'm assuming most of the presser reveals were initially planned for E3, but there was a late decision to hold off and save them for this. Before E3 the rumblings were they were going to reveal a DS revision, Animal Crossing, Punchout and a new Alphadream game. We saw Animal crossing then and the rest now. I suspected then (and more so now) that shortly before E3, Nintendo decided E3 wasn't worth it, for whatever reason. They were hardly the only company to not bring much new to the show.
I feel there is a bit of a flaw in your argument here. You say this is taking resources away from core products, but it seems to me these games (barring Mario Tennis perhaps) are some of the corest of the core from the GC days. Releasing these games on the Wii will serve to embiggen the core market on the platform. It sends a message to consumers and publishers alike (at least if they sell) that the Wii is a perfectly viable platform for these such games. It also serves to help raise the bar for overall quality of games on the platform - I like to think (pretend) this will help prompt 3rd publishers into not molesting the system so much.

The good news is a) that Nintendo is expanding. They have been both adding more employees to their Kyoto headquarters as well as starting out new outfits like Nintendo Tokyo. They are going about it very (frustratingly) slow, but they are a very prudent business and probably know what they are doing. That is, if they'd started another 4 devs at the same time as Tokyo, I doubt they'd be producing games at the quality level of Jungle Beat and Mario Galaxy.

and b) since expanded audience games require so few people and resources to make, there's actually more people at Nintendo working on non-expanded audience games than at this point in the GC's life.

What I will say Nintendo is massively failing at, like failing so hard that even a Nintendo apologist like me can't spin in a positive way is their lack of developmental expansion into the west. Either founding new 1st party developers or courting western developers or publishers for colaboration (think Batillion Wars type arrangement.)

MagGnome
10-03-2008, 05:19 AM
I already own all of these except for Mario Tennis, and I really can't see myself buying any of them again.

This does smell like a quick and dirty cash grab, as somebody else noted earlier.

Oh well, I don't even have a Wii. :p

quidmonkey
10-03-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm assuming most of the presser reveals were initially planned for E3, but there was a late decision to hold off and save them for this. Before E3 the rumblings were they were going to reveal a DS revision, Animal Crossing, Punchout and a new Alphadream game. We saw Animal crossing then and the rest now. I suspected then (and more so now) that shortly before E3, Nintendo decided E3 wasn't worth it, for whatever reason. They were hardly the only company to not bring much new to the show.

So you're condoning them lying to us? I guess the post-E3 backlash was just everybody overreacting as usual.

Urizen
10-03-2008, 06:07 PM
What I will say Nintendo is massively failing at, like failing so hard that even a Nintendo apologist like me can't spin in a positive way is their lack of developmental expansion into the west. Either founding new 1st party developers or courting western developers or publishers for colaboration (think Batillion Wars type arrangement.)

Agreed. Nintendo should be investing in more talent, instead we've seen them let the brain trust of Retro Studios go. There's no reason why they can't commission a good multiplayer FPS out of an original IP, for example...because it seems like the west is always thirsty for them.

Nintendo should be doing things like licensing their in-house music to Guitar Hero and Roch Band for exclusive DLC on Nintendo systems.

Anyway, unless these titles add online, I don't think I'm going to double up on GC titles I have even for what will likely be $30.

KingGorilla
10-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Has Nintendo done anything to fix the storage problems yet? Weren't Gamecube games something like 1-4 GB?

With this and the possibility of more Wii Ware, I almost want a Wii. But the whole "it's like your fridge" concept is not meshing well.

J Arcane
10-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Has Nintendo done anything to fix the storage problems yet? Weren't Gamecube games something like 1-4 GB?

With this and the possibility of more Wii Ware, I almost want a Wii. But the whole "it's like your fridge" concept is not meshing well.
I forget where I saw it, but there was among many announcements recently, one that stated they'd finally allow you to play stuff off SD cards in one of the upcoming firmware updates.

Troggles
10-03-2008, 11:38 PM
They did say that. The only problem is that the Wii can only take up to 2gb cards, and even that size of card is becoming obsolete.

J Arcane
10-03-2008, 11:40 PM
They did say that. The only problem is that the Wii can only take up to 2gb cards, and even that size of card is becoming obsolete.
I wonder if that's a hardware limitation, or something that can also be fixed with a firmware upgrade?

Troggles
10-03-2008, 11:44 PM
I believe it's a hardware thing. I know most cards that are 4gb and higher are called SDHC and only work with SDHC compatible devices.

boratika
10-04-2008, 12:11 AM
So you're condoning them lying to us? I guess the post-E3 backlash was just everybody overreacting as usual.

Well I am a PS3 owner. You can draw your own conclusions about if I love being lied to.;)