PDA

View Full Version : Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Psykoboy2
12-01-2008, 05:00 PM
There it is folks (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43232.html). The teaser trailer for "Uncharted 2: Among Thieves", set to premiere during the Spike 2008 VGA Awards.

More information on the game should be forth coming according to the January cover of GameInformer (http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200812/N08.1201.1525.24193.htm) magazine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Psykoboy2/gami_189_cov_web.jpg

EDIT: New details on the game come from the GameInformer link above: Nathan Drake returns with a whole new adventure which revolves around the 13th century explorer Marco Polo and his voyages. The new PlayStation 3 title will add a free climbing mechanic and stealth gameplay. Players can also expect all-new locations, characters and a focus on the game’s story.

Source: Honestly, it came from Naughty Dog's Twitter Feed (http://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog).

Siraris
12-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Looks good! I'm curious what other games they are going to show, since they keep touting "exclusive unannounced games" or whatever.

According to the leak last week, Uncharted 2 was shown in Europe, and looks no better than the first. Now, the first one was one of the best looking games on the console, but no improvement? Come on...

violent
12-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Might want to delete the thread I made earlier about it. Also, here's a teaser:

Gorvi
12-01-2008, 05:04 PM
As much as it was already expected, it's still nice to see it official. Awesome. :)

menage
12-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Awesome. It took me a while to get onto the first one. But I really loved it in the end. can't wait.

Variable Gear
12-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Hopefully the shooting mechanics will be greatly improved in the sequel.

Psykoboy2
12-01-2008, 05:14 PM
According to the leak last week, Uncharted 2 was shown in Europe, and looks no better than the first. Now, the first one was one of the best looking games on the console, but no improvement? Come on...

If looks were the only thing you came away with from in playing the first game, I think you missed out on a lot of fun.

Then again, there was something about the game that just grabbed me. This thing oozed charm all over the place and it all felt very, VERY right. I don't need improvement in the looks department. Tighten up the combat a bit, don't throw in gameplay twists, keep the story just as fun as the first, and by all means, keep those voice/actors doing exactly as they did when making the first and all will be well for me.

inmostlight
12-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Hell yeah. Buying this on day one.

violent
12-01-2008, 05:17 PM
For a game that looked as good as the first Uncharted, a minimal upgrade to those aesthetics should be sufficient. Things don't always have to be drastically improved in order for it to be enjoyable. Look at Gears 2.

DiBiddilyBop
12-01-2008, 05:20 PM
I loved the first one, so this is a no-brainer for me.

crazyD
12-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Improvements needed before I buy:

More / more interesting platforming.
The ability to hold more ammo.
No more QTEs.
No more zombie nazi monkeys.
No more terrible vehicle segments.

Fix that stuff, and I would be down at launch. Otherwise, it will maybe be bargain bin material.

Gorvi
12-01-2008, 05:26 PM
That one is definitely needed. That and the puzzles being handed to you bothered me about the first game.
The ability to hold more ammo.
Really? I never had ammo problems, though I never played through on the absolute hardest setting.
No more QTEs.
It's been a while, but wasn't the last boss pretty much the only one? I vaguely recall some (as in 3-4) instances where you had to hit X or triangle to get out of the way of something, but that may be RE4 fogging my memory.
It wasn't a bad change of pace at that point in the game, but yeah, I could have done without it.
The Jet Ski section may have been flawed, but at least it was short. The gunning on the back of the jeep, though, was fun as hell.

Phades
12-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I LOVED the first game. My favorite game of last year. I'd buy this game day one if it was just more of the same in a different setting. About the only thing I'd like them to change would be better/harder puzzles. But that's a wish list item, not a "I need this to consider buying it" kinda thing.

Siraris
12-01-2008, 05:42 PM
If looks were the only thing you came away with from in playing the first game, I think you missed out on a lot of fun.

Then again, there was something about the game that just grabbed me. This thing oozed charm all over the place and it all felt very, VERY right. I don't need improvement in the looks department. Tighten up the combat a bit, don't throw in gameplay twists, keep the story just as fun as the first, and by all means, keep those voice/actors doing exactly as they did when making the first and all will be well for me.

How did I only come away with looks? I was referring to a comment made by someone who saw gameplay last week that referenced looks.

In all honesty, the biggest thing I want from the second game is puzzles, and challenging puzzles at that. I daydreamed at times about the first one, and the use of the puzzle book you carried around. The actual game itself consisted of mostly utterly brain dead puzzle solving, and I think the title is absolutely suited to fill a niche of more complex, robust puzzle solving.

Siraris
12-01-2008, 05:43 PM
I LOVED the first game. My favorite game of last year. I'd buy this game day one if it was just more of the same in a different setting. About the only thing I'd like them to change would be better/harder puzzles. But that's a wish list item, not a "I need this to consider buying it" kinda thing.

I always knew I loved you.

Sandman
12-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Is it wrong that I'm more interested in the First details of Guitar Hero : Metallica in that issue?

crazyD
12-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Really? I never had ammo problems, though I never played through on the absolute hardest setting.

I dunno, I would go through spurts. I would have full ammo for all my guns, then get into a prolonged fight with a ton of guys in deep cover, and be completely dry before I killed everyone. I would have been cool with it if I could pick up ammo easier on the fly.

Another issue I had with the game was the limited guns I could hold. While I see the idea behind only holding a limited number of guns, it always annoys me in practice. It means that I am only going to hold onto certain weapons that have proved they work well and have plentiful ammo, and never touch the others. I liked using the grenade launcher, sniper rifle, and magnum in the original, but rarely used them because other guns had more prevalent ammo.

It's been a while, but wasn't the last boss pretty much the only one? I vaguely recall some (as in 3-4) instances where you had to hit X or triangle to get out of the way of something, but that may be RE4 fogging my memory.

I haven't played it in a while, but I am pretty sure there were more QTEs. Personally, I am not a fan of QTEs in most any usage, and even rare ones can annoy me.

It wasn't a bad change of pace at that point in the game, but yeah, I could have done without it.

Personally, I disagree. I hated going from fighting fairly intelligent humans to fighting monsters who's only strategy is "charge!" I was pushing through the original, and liking it quite a bit until these guys hit and Far Cryed up the end game.

The Jet Ski section may have been flawed, but at least it was short. The gunning on the back of the jeep, though, was fun as hell.

I did not really enjoy the jeep section, although it was pretty to look at. And itching forward on the jet ski, trying to expose baddies without being surrounded, all while dodging explosive barrels, was no fun at all to me. I think the whole combat-platformer thing has enough wheels to keep it going without half assed vehicle combat.

TrackZero
12-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Very nice. Uncharted is one of the few PS3 games to tempt me.

bapenguin
12-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Awesome,though the stealth gameplay elements have me worried.

As long as they keep the same story telling style I'll enjoy it.

Xerxes
12-01-2008, 06:03 PM
I still need to play the first one.

National Kato
12-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Stealth has me worried too, Bap. But as others have said, a few fixes in the gameplay from the first one and a better story would make me anxious.

IIntrude
12-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Thank god! Uncharted is by far one of my favorite games period.

Blue
12-01-2008, 07:06 PM
I've been waiting on this ever since I finished the first. Such a fantastic game. All I'd like is more climbing/leaping and puzzles.

cawblen
12-01-2008, 07:40 PM

blasphemy!!

TheEpicOfTyler
12-01-2008, 08:22 PM
I absolutely loved Uncharted. I am excited.

JayVe
12-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Improvements needed before I buy:

No more QTEs.
Put me in for these fixes along with fewer enemy respawns. I don't mind fighting a lot of badguys, but don't make me fight 4-5 waves on the same set piece. Fluffy filler tastes like fluff.

I loved some of the later platforming. Want to see a lot more inventive exploration! :D

Spigot
12-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Hopefully the shooting mechanics will be greatly improved in the sequel.Exactly. No more bulletproof t-shirts and thousands of baddies swarming your tiny piece of cover, please.

I can handle moderate gunplay in a game like this but there were times that it got to be too much... plus it took a LONG time to get used to the way the guns handled in the game.

Focus more on climbing and environmental puzzles and (if done right) more stealth. Cut back on the pure combat element and you'll have a happy Spig.

Keep the characters as fresh and cool as they were in the first one though!

MalReynolds
12-01-2008, 08:51 PM
need to finish the first one -.-

Adam Blue
12-01-2008, 08:58 PM
I liked absolutely everything about the first game. So, really I hope they just expand on each gameplay element.

MagGnome
12-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Uncharted is one of the first games I would pick up if I ever get a PS3. News of a sequel is pretty exciting, although also very expected.

Purple Santa
12-01-2008, 10:23 PM
The combat got tiring at times. I could do without enemies with laser sights. Otherwise more platforming/exploring and I'll be happy. The trailer looks great...

Dukefrukem
12-01-2008, 10:32 PM
fucking love it! so damn excited!

KingGorilla
12-01-2008, 10:35 PM

If Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness mated with Prince of Persia The Two Thrones, and then tried to arbort after 7 months with a coathanger and crystal meth, you would have Uncharted.

violent
12-01-2008, 10:36 PM
If Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness mated with Prince of Persia The Two Thrones, and then tried to arbort after 7 months with a coathanger and crystal meth, you would have Uncharted.

Even for a joke that was bad.

KingGorilla
12-01-2008, 10:37 PM
No, that succintly sums up Uncharted.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Wolfenstein is the kooky uncle the kid is sent to foster care with.

Dukefrukem
12-01-2008, 10:39 PM
No, that succintly sums up Uncharted.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Wolfenstein is the kooky uncle the kid is sent to foster care with.

Not in the least bit it does...

pseudopseudo
12-01-2008, 10:43 PM
KingGorilla hates fun. It's a fact.

I was excited, until I read "Stealth"... seriously? Fuck stealth. The game was good as it was... no stealth needed.

violent
12-01-2008, 10:44 PM

He just likes being different. Not realizing smelly people are different I imagine.

KingGorilla
12-01-2008, 10:48 PM
I can have fun, and call it like I see em. The platforming was over-simplified, a very sad trend when I look at Assasin's Creed. The combat engine was top notch, doing a decent job hiding the monster closets. And the game fell to shit once Nazi Zombies were introduced.

Dukefrukem
12-01-2008, 10:48 PM

I was excited, until I read "Stealth"... seriously? Fuck stealth. The game was good as it was... no stealth needed.

good? the first game was fucking phenomenal. what action/adventure game can you say is better than Uncharted? it had everything. wit, charm, action, adventure, and a twist! it destroys all of the Tomb Raiders

pseudopseudo
12-01-2008, 10:51 PM
And the game fell to shit once Nazi Zombies were introduced.

Why does everyone call 'em Nazi Zombies(/Monkeys)? I still don't get that. Is it just 'cause Nazi Zombies are all the rage these days?

That said, they (the "Descendants", I believe they were called?) were the single biggest problem I had with the game. Didn't keep me from finishing it (and being halfway through a second playthrough).

violent
12-01-2008, 10:51 PM
good? the first game was fucking phenomenal. what action/adventure game can you say is better than Uncharted? it had everything. wit, charm, action, adventure, and a twist! it destroys all of the Tomb Raiders

You're opening yourself up for valid retaliation big fella. Uncharted was great but not for everyone. Don't tell them it was.

violent
12-01-2008, 10:53 PM
I can have fun, and call it like I see em. The platforming was over-simplified, a very sad trend when I look at Assasin's Creed. The combat engine was top notch, doing a decent job hiding the monster closets. And the game fell to shit once Nazi Zombies were introduced.

I wouldn't mind so much your humorous description if you could sit here and do it two-fold for most of the other games out there. Because even if you do think the game blows dick, I would be accepting knowing that you realize it is still a cut above most of the shit we play.

Dukefrukem
12-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Why does everyone call 'em Nazi Zombies(/Monkeys)? Istill don't get that. Is it just 'cause Nazi Zombies are all the rage these days?

That said, they (the "Descendants", I believe they were called?) were the single biggest problem I had with the game. Didn't keep me from finishing it (and being halfway through a second playthrough).

Yup, they were the Spanish.

Variable Gear
12-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Shitstorm in three...two...Wait, I might want to reset those sensors. :p

violent
12-01-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm in no way a sympathizer but damn, Nazi zombie monkeys? And we're complaining?

Dukefrukem
12-01-2008, 10:58 PM
You're opening yourself up for valid retaliation big fella. Uncharted was great but not for everyone. Don't tell them it was.

I'm ready for it... like always.

violent
12-01-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm ready for it... like always.

So long as you know what's coming, duke on.

crazyD
12-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Yup, they were the Spanish.

Weren't some nazi's that succumbed to the curse? From the submarine?

KingGorilla
12-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Why does everyone call 'em Nazi Zombies(/Monkeys)? I still don't get that. Is it just 'cause Nazi Zombies are all the rage these days?

Mine to, until I found Captain Stereotype and his forked Spanglish Tongue of Fury in the last scene. Up til that point, the game skated by the skin of its teeth without overtly scripting combat encounters too much(except that lame jeep turret scene, but an action game needs a turret scene right?).

The game has problems, big problems. Oddly, the same problems many first attempts at a game go through. The design doc for Uncharted 2, I had hoped, would feature removing things like the vehicle events. They would tighten up the paltforming and add in actual puzzles(the PoP trilogy still without peer in that regard). Simple desires, simple goals.

MagGnome
12-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Well this thread went downhill fast.

Good job guys. Keep it classy. ;)

Adam Blue
12-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Well this thread went downhill fast.

Good job guys. Keep it classy. ;)

Yeah, seriously.

But, fuck it.

KG, the game didn't have any BIG problems. Maybe some preferences you'd have with the game play, but actual problems? No problems. Uncharted is fucking great. I get the urge to play it anytime I see a trailer for or watch an adventure style movie.

Norse
12-02-2008, 12:19 AM
stealth gameplay? Do not want. Why ruin such a good game?

pseudopseudo
12-02-2008, 03:41 AM
Weren't some nazi's that succumbed to the curse? From the submarine?

Nope. The creatures were the cursed descendants of the original ship's crew of Sir Francis Drake (or at least that's what the game would have us believe). The descendants, if I remember correctly, are the creatures that killed the Germans in the U-boat.

JayVe
12-02-2008, 07:24 AM

To try and make the Ultimate Supreme System Killer Software That Appeals To Everyone. By shoe-horning stealth into Uncharted, they can sell it as a stealth action shooter and try to appeal to those who purchased MGS4 but didn't buy the first Uncharted. :D

Gorvi
12-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Stealth can be fine as long as it makes sense and the mechanics are there for it to work well. At least give me the option to play it how I want, guns blazing or sneaking along.

Virtual Machine
12-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Stealth can be fine as long as it makes sense and the mechanics are there for it to work well. At least give me the option to play it how I want, guns blazing or sneaking along.

Yes. This.

I'll put it out there - Uncharted was the best game of this hardware generation to me. There were subtleties in this game that no other game to come down the pipe thus far has managed to pull off, MGS 4 included. Drake's animations were, bar none, the single most detailed and life-like animations i have ever seen in a video game, and they did an amazing job of immersing you into the game. Then there's the constantly changing facial animations, the cover system, that i found actually felt tighter than Gears, the incredibly realistic lighting and shadows, and the superfluous wet clothing simulation. Top that all off with an incredible script and wonderful characters.

I also enjoyed how the game constantly switches gears from platforming to action to driving to horror - i find no one section really overstays its welcome.

I'm a tad concerned about how the stealth elements are implemented, but i can't say that it wouldn't suit the character, as long as there's nothing like trailing that asshole around the streets of Prague in MGS 4, that drove me insane.

As far as improving graphics, why bother? When you've got one of the absolute best looking video games ever on any platform, even a year after launch, where's the need?

JayVe
12-02-2008, 07:56 AM
As far as improving graphics, why bother? When you've got one of the absolute best looking video games ever on any platform, even a year after launch, where's the need?

Well, you described a lot of my feelings towards graphics in general right here. Games these days are (for the most part) all really good looking. Companies should spend more time on other aspects of the game.

Virtual Machine
12-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Well, you described a lot of my feelings towards graphics in general right here. Games these days are (for the most part) all really good looking. Companies should spend more time on other aspects of the game.

Amen, brother.

DangerousDaze
12-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Too much raider and not enough tomb imo. Oh, and a different kind of ending next time would be appreciated. Eyethankewe.

MachEnergy
12-02-2008, 08:58 AM

True, the last game looked unbelievable at times; especially the character faces during cut scenes. Still, I just get so giddy when I see something more amazing than anything I've ever seen before. For example, I just beat Gears 2 last night, and the final "boss" looked unbelievably good. I sat there and gawked because I keep forgetting how good real time graphics can be. Perhaps I need to play through MGS4 again...

The only thing I would change about Uncharted would be to have a Trophy system from the start.....or at least convert my Naughty Dog "Trophies" into Playstation ones! I earned those, dammit!!

Psykoboy2
12-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Too much raider and not enough tomb imo. Oh, and a different kind of ending next time would be appreciated. Eyethankewe.

Dude Raider 2!

Dukefrukem
12-02-2008, 09:19 AM

And who even knows what "stealth" means. It may just be a way to get behind the enemies better so we can snap their necks. That was something I always loved doing, but as soon as you startle one enemy, they all came flying at you.

Kelegacy
12-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Uncharted is still probably my favorite game on PS3, one of my favorite games of this gen. I loved the gunplay but though the platform bits were a bit too..."on rails"? They were always really easy segments. I hope we get more of them, and with more puzzles. I didn't like the jet ski levels, but I did dig the jeep level a ton.

Anyway, I'm excited. I hope it's longer than the first, since I could almost beat it in a day even on the hardest mode.

MachEnergy
12-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Did anyone use the three button combo that disarmed enemies? I think it was square-triangle-square. I almost NEVER used it because I couldn't do the timing reliably enough, but there was a "trophy" for doing a certain number of them, if I recall. I've always been curious if other people used it.

Gorvi
12-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Did anyone use the three button combo that disarmed enemies? I think it was square-triangle-square. I almost NEVER used it because I couldn't do the timing reliably enough, but there was a "trophy" for doing a certain number of them, if I recall. I've always been curious if other people used it.
It worked really well once you got the timing right. Back when they were only "rewards" I did it just to get that one reward but continued to use it afterward since it worked so well.

Dukefrukem
12-02-2008, 11:13 AM

I also only used it to get the trophy.

MagGnome
12-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Dude Raider 2!

I have that movie. One of my favorites.

bapenguin
12-02-2008, 12:49 PM
I have that movie. One of my favorites.

Ladies and Gentlemen, our first legitimate gay porn post.

violent
12-02-2008, 01:34 PM

Mine is The Midnight Meat Train. While it may not be a gay porno, it sure has a lot of suck in it.

Psykoboy2
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I want a rim-shot smiley.

Blue
12-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Mine is The Midnight Meat Train. While it may not be a gay porno, it sure has a lot of suck in it.

This makes me sad. Never managed to see it in the theater and it's one of my favorite of Barker's shorts. Not that I expected it to be great, but still. I'm sure I'll still rent it.

violent
12-02-2008, 02:49 PM
This makes me sad. Never managed to see it in the theater and it's one of my favorite of Barker's shorts. Not that I expected it to be great, but still. I'm sure I'll still rent it.

It broke my heart. I still think the stories need to be made into animated shorts on HBO or something.

Variable Gear
12-02-2008, 05:32 PM
I posted this in the other thread, but...no one cares about it anymore so...

Does anyone think that the new title is inspired in any way by Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves?

Spigot
12-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Does anyone think that the new title is inspired in any way by Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves?Sniff.

*pours out a fatty for Sly and the gang*

[Note! Author has no idea about proper hip terminology!]

Purple Santa
12-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Nope. The creatures were the cursed descendants of the original ship's crew of Sir Francis Drake (or at least that's what the game would have us believe). The descendants, if I remember correctly, are the creatures that killed the Germans in the U-boat.
I won't swear on it but i'm positive you are correct. I liked the campy plot...it kept me going through the last part anyway...damn descendants...
Amen, brother.
I'll amen your amen to his amen.
I tried. The only thing that got me was shot...alot. My gaming skills are not up to three button combos to disarm men with automatic weapons...unless it's Mirror's Edge...
Sniff.

*pours out a fatty for Sly and the gang*

[Note! Author has no idea about proper hip terminology!]
We will forgive you showing your age...grandpa :eek:

I miss Sly...damn I want another one! Platforming is not dead! Ok, it is but...I still want another Sly game...

inmostlight
12-02-2008, 05:53 PM

I think that if done right the stealth would actually make more sense in this game than in some others. Drake is the kind of guy who should be seeking to avoid combat; it seemed a little silly to me that in the first game there were so many places where essentially had to commit mass murder to progress. I think more non-lethal options would fit better with the character.

That said I don't want it to be like Splinter Cell or anything, but maybe more options where he can just sneak by, distract, or knock out enemies instead of having to kill everyone to move on.

MagGnome
12-02-2008, 07:53 PM

Just doing my part to keep this place classy. :cool:

MalReynolds
12-03-2008, 02:31 AM
i decided to play the first one, one more time b/c id gotten stuck before and i got up to the Part where your in the German plant or whatever .... just turned on the power .... fuck are those "things" annoying as hell

Virtual Machine
12-03-2008, 11:28 PM

Biggest benefit to those was enemies dropped more ammo if you could take em out with melee attacks.