PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Customer Service

Karak
12-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Since we have a bad customer thread I figured we should have a bad customer service thread.

Some of the worst service I received.

Local hobby shop. It was brand new, ran by a couple new people to town.

I come in ready to shop. I grab some items and ring the bell for service.
Nothing.
I ring again.
Nothing.
I go around back. 5 kids playing DND at the group area.
Not workers all smoked up to no end. Basically almost unable to talk.
I say, "Hey guys. Do you know where the store owner is. I have some stuff to buy.
I shit you NOT, the owner(a sleepy eyed man sitting on the beanbag in back), sits up spills. old chips down his shirt and passes a fuckin bong to the guy beside him. "Me. I will take care of you."
"Fine." I say and walk back to the desk.
5 minutes
Nothing.
I come back.
He is now over by the action figures and fucking just reading the backs of them.
"Excuse me?" I said.
He turns and says. "Can I help you?" Did not even recognize me from like 5 minutes before!
Fucking loser stoner.
I left. They are still in business but BARELY.

DoctorFinger
12-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Shit, at that point I'd have walked out with the stuff and said "But I already paid you, Weed-O"

harle
12-01-2008, 02:13 PM
What else did you expect from Eugene ;)

Karak
12-01-2008, 02:18 PM
What else did you expect from Eugene ;)

Ha
This was Mike's in Corvallis friend.

I do not DARE go into fucking Eugene stores.
The smell of unwashed bodies would probably kill me:)

And actually the guy told me he was the owner the 2nd and LAST time I ever went in there. So he could have been lying. The place sucked so bad I just assumed so.

Karak
12-01-2008, 07:33 PM
I thought for sure the people here would have some serious stories man.

axion
12-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Ok, I've got one. Skip to end if it's too long, turned out longer than had planned, needed to vent.
My mom needs to take medication so we get the prescription filled at a pharmacy. I go in Tuesday night to pick it up at my father's request.
"I'm sorry, we don't have anything for that name."
I leave thinking they just hadn't gotten around to it, but when I get home, he tells me the doctor's office called in the prescription on Friday.
Wednesday he calls the doctor's office, who says that yes they did indeed call it in on Friday. He goes to the pharmacy and they say they still haven't received any calls.
He goes to the doctor's to get a written prescription so he can avoid more bullshit, but the doctor can't do that since they already called.
Doctor's office calls the pharmacy.
"We called in a prescription for the patient Friday"
"No you didn't we don't have it"
"We used the voice-mail system you have implemented for doctors to order medication, have you checked that?"
"No, oh there it is."
Fucking numbskulls hadn't checked the voice-mail which is used to order prescriptions since Friday! So all is apparently well, and my dad returns to the pharmacy.
"You guys have the medication?"
"I'm sorry, there's a problem. The doctors ordered a 7.5 mg but it only comes in 5, 10 and 15 and we can't cut them in half."
At this point the doctors is closed so he calls them back and leaves a message asking them to re-order the prescription in 10 mg.
Thursday now, he goes in after making sure that the doctor has called.
"I'm here for the medication for so and so."
"I'm sorry we don't have anything for that name."
My dad is pissed, "Have you checked your voice-mail?"
Pharmacist is rude "Yes I've checked it and it isn't there."
"Can you please check it again."
"It's not there."
(Pharmacist in back checks while this is happening)"Oh here it is, in the voice-mail."
He finally leaves with the correct prescription.

BOTTOM LINE:
It took them almost a week to fill a prescription that my mother needs every day to stay healthy. Although her condition isn't life-threatening, the point is someone else's could be, and it took them a week, because they didn't fucking check their voice-mail system DESIGNED TO TAKE ORDERS!

KamaItachi
12-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Just recently I pre-ordered Banjo-Kazooie from my local EB. I asked them about the pre-order bonus of the original Banjo DL code. The guy behind the counter didn't really know what was happening, and seemed to just say that I'd get the code when I picked up the game just to get me out of the shop.

I get a call the following Thursday, my copy has come in, I can pick it up any time. I ask if they'll hold on to it for me 'til Sunday when I'll be in. Guy says no problem.

On Sunday I go in, see if I can get my copy. No dice, they already sold it. Can I at least get my pre-order code? No, I don't get that either.

Can I have my money back? Possibly, the tart behind the counter says, but wouldn't I want to put that money towards something else in the shop? Or I could wait another couple of weeks 'til they get supplies back. No, no, I reply, you'll probably sell that to someone else on the way from the drawer where you keep all the discs.

twats.

Karak
12-01-2008, 08:18 PM
BOTTOM LINE:
fucking check their voice-mail system DESIGNED TO TAKE ORDERS!

Holy jesus sunshine shitter. I would wreck some shit.

So this is more...stupid that anything.
7-11
I walk in. Grab a pepperoni and some diet pepsi.
Come up to the counter.
Store clerk looks at me...looks at pop...looks at me.
"You sure you want that?"
For some dumb reason I thought he meant the pepperoni...
"Ya. I know how its made.
He looks at me again. "I mean the pop man. You sure you want that?"
I look at it. Looks fine. "Ya why?"
I SHOULD HAVE NEVER ASKED something so obvious in Eugene Oregon.

This fucking clerk goes on a 7 minute fucking explosion about diet pepsi and its ill effects. Gulf war syndrome, Rumsfield, lupas. I needed that fucking pop or so help me gawd I would have beat him to death with that fucking meat stick.
So I am running my card just nodding and this guy seriously will NOT run the fucking pop. He just keeps on keeping on, pointing out some carbon dioxide shit on the back or something.
Finally my student, who like me, gets more pissed when someone is a shit to a friend rather to themselves personally yells at the top of his lungs.
"Would you fucking run the pop you gawd damn hippy!"
They kicked him out of the store. But I did get my pop.
Fucking Eugene.

Karak
12-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Double post.
Deleted

KingGorilla
12-01-2008, 10:41 PM
I want to get a business rolling provinging crazy things like Open Source software to the masses, but I cannot get credit, and those retards can? I hate this fucking country sometimes.

Widgetcraft
12-02-2008, 02:13 AM
I went through the drive-in at a Burger King a few years back, and got a Whopper and an order of Chicken Fries. I asked for BBQ sauce to go with the chicken, but they didn't give it to me. I tried asking the cashier at the window for it, but she closed the window on me just as I asked. So, I reached over and knocked on the window. No response. I knocked on the window again, and the woman working the drive through looked at me for a second, and then walked away.

Then I got pissed. So, I stormed into the fucking place, made a big scene. Haven't been back since, which is a shame, as I really like Burger King and that is the only one I'm ever near on any regular basis.

Whunpo
12-02-2008, 02:23 AM
Karak, you may hate Eugene for things like that, but I live for that shit. Oh man. You ever visit Lazars? Good god. I love that man.
Also: What hobby shop were you at?

Karak
12-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Karak, you may hate Eugene for things like that, but I live for that shit. Oh man. You ever visit Lazars? Good god. I love that man.
Also: What hobby shop were you at?

Ha
No I have never been there.
I was in Corvallis at a place called Mike's Cavalcade or something like that. Shit nasty place.

I just looked up Lazars.
I have been without a non-dojo fight for over 2 years
I could never go there. I would snap:)

rifter
12-02-2008, 05:04 PM
You know, I have heard bad things about Eugene. My visits there went really well, but I knew the people I was meeting to interview. :-) I made it out of there twice... so at least it is not contagious if you are there for a few hours. :-)

Karak
12-02-2008, 05:10 PM
You know, I have heard bad things about Eugene. My visits there went really well, but I knew the people I was meeting to interview. :-) I made it out of there twice... so at least it is not contagious if you are there for a few hours. :-)

And it doesn't seem to rub off on you.
In point of fact I actually like it ok.
But it is a fucking weird place.

Roaddawg
12-02-2008, 05:25 PM
the other night i walk into a books-a-million store to pick up the issues of gamepro and cigar aficionado magazines

i get to the counter, this dipship employee is trying to windex one small spot on the window for over 5 min. so i coughed loudly to get her attention, she walks over and asks "are you ready to check out?"

i flip the fuck out and said "no, i just like standing here and staring out the window like a jackass, please ring me up!".

as she is ringing up my stuff she goes through the usual script about if i have a bam card, i said no, she without asking me, says "ok well i'm just gonna sign you up for our discount card program, it's ot much just an additional $39.99 plus tax"

again, i flip the fuck out and scream at her "WHAT THE FUCK LADY? i DO NOT WANT YOUR SHITTY CARDS!"

her reply? "i know you don't but i thought it'd be in your best interest do sign you up anyways.."

zarathstra
12-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Alright, here'sone I had with a bank:

So I bought a brand new car about 2 years ago. I filled out the paperwork to have the loan company do a bank draft for the car payment every month.

A couple days after the bill was due, I noticed the money hadn't come out of my account, so I called. They told me that it sometimes takes a few days, and to wait.

I wait a couple more days, still nothing. I call again. They check on the account, and it turns out they have the wrong bank account number on file. "Fine" I think, I must have made a mistake on the form. I give them the correct number, and hang up.

A couple MORE days later, I notice that it STILL hasn't come out of my account. I call back.

"Oh, well someone deleted your bank draft a few days ago"

Ugh! Then the guy tells me that Its been so long that I'm in danger of having a late fee and he advises me to go down to the bank and pay by check. I ask him to put my bank draft info back in the computer. He says that's fine.

I go to the bank, write them a check.

I call back later that day to make sure everything went okay, and the person I talk to tells me they've already put the bank draft through!!!!

Its too late to get my check back, and I don't have enough in the account for 2 car payments, so I ask them to delete the bank draft like they did before. The only problem is, this time the account number is correct, so it might go through. They tell me they can't delete it....

I tell them they they're paying any overdraft fees I get, and they agree, and eventually they did delete the bank draft before anything happened, but I have NEVER had so much trouble giving people money before. And the kicker is, I went back and checked the confirmation letter I got for the bank draft...and I had given them the right number! THEY were the ones who put it in wrong!

Sorry, that may not have made any sense, that incident really pisses me off.

Karak
12-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Z-man. That sucks.

maharahaj
12-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Many moons ago, when I worked fast food, one of my co-workers got fired for answering the drive through this way:

Instead of saying "Welcome, can I take your order?", they said "Welcome, can I fuck your daughter?"

Whunpo
12-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Ha
No I have never been there.
I was in Corvallis at a place called Mike's Cavalcade or something like that. Shit nasty place.

I just looked up Lazars.
I have been without a non-dojo fight for over 2 years
I could never go there. I would snap:)
Understandable. It's pretty gross, and is the peak of everything you hate about Eugene local businesses.
However: entertaining to no end.
60 year old Indian guy who is pretty consistently high. Every time I've been in there has been an adventure.
<Lazar: thick Indian accent>"How old are you kids?"
<Me and a few friends>"Oh, we're all around 14, 15 years old."
<Lazar>"Shit...I'm fucking ancient..."

Karak
12-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Understandable. It's pretty gross, and is the peak of everything you hate about Eugene local businesses.
60 year old Indian guy who is pretty consistently high. Every time I've been in there has been an adventure.

I may just check this out:)

Whunpo
12-02-2008, 09:49 PM
I may just check this out:)

Even if you don't enjoy that kind of thing, it's almost a....Disneyland of Eugene. Even if it's not that enjoyable for you, it's something you want to do.

Inspector Fowler
12-02-2008, 10:01 PM
My wife and I had two car loans through a credit union in Denver. You needed to have an account with them before they'd give you a loan, though. So when we got the first of the car loans we opened a savings account that has around $30 in it.

We paid off our loans a couple months back, but for the last 3 years before we did, it never failed - every time we'd make a monthly payment, especially if it was an overpayment, we'd have about a 1/3 chance that those fucking idiots would put it in the savings account.

I'd look at my real bank account, see that the check was cashed, and go on my merry way. A few weeks later I'd get the "You didn't pay your car loan you delinquent asshole." letter. I'd have to transfer the money from the savings account to the loan. Every single time I'd send in a payment coupon with the loan number.

They never could explain it to me. You'd think they would be a little better with shit like, "Where does money go?", since they're a CREDIT UNION. Gah.

Inspector Fowler
12-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Separate story - we lived in a condo for two years. In theory, we get our mail from the same Post Office branch now that we did at the condo. But for some reason they were dumber then.

Once a month or so, they'd put one of those official yellow stickers on a piece of mail that said, "No Forwarding Address On File" as if we had moved. And I'm not talking hand-addressed, hard to read shit. I'm talking everything ranging from thank-you notes up to computer printed bills.

You can imagine that some of our creditors were unhappy, thinking we were trying to bail on them. We called over and over and they always told us there was nothing we could do. If I remember right, my wife even went in person once and they just told us (essentially), "Meh. Shit happens."

Shamrock Jimmy
12-02-2008, 10:08 PM
I was staying at a hotel right across from a shell station and at the time I was under alot of stess so I was smoking like a pack of cigarettes a day so every night I would walk to the shell station after work and buy cigarettes, after doing this every day for a week and half and buying them from the same 2 guys every night they ask me for my ID, which they had done several times without a problem, and my ID has gone through washing machine a couple of times and is a little fucked up but it still clearly shows a picture of me and says I was born 7/27/88 but this fucktard decides he doesn't want to sell me cigarettes today and tells me to get the fuck out.

Karak
12-02-2008, 10:54 PM
I was staying at a hotel right across from a shell station and at the time I was under alot of stess so I was smoking like a pack of cigarettes a day so every night I would walk to the shell station after work and buy cigarettes, after doing this every day for a week and half and buying them from the same 2 guys every night they ask me for my ID, which they had done several times without a problem, and my ID has gone through washing machine a couple of times and is a little fucked up but it still clearly shows a picture of me and says I was born 7/27/88 but this fucktard decides he doesn't want to sell me cigarettes today and tells me to get the fuck out.
*Shakes head*
That's the kind of random assholeness that got me into trouble in my youth. I could never stand it and fixed the situation with violence.
Boys and girls...not a good plan.
Not at all.
Instead poison him:)

fitbabits
12-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Macaroni Grill...

Sit down to the usual bread and water offering before ordering my main meal, which is a 'create your own meal' with spaghetti, alfredo sauce, pine nuts and tomatoes. I'm a vegetarian, so no meat.

Wait for almost 20 minutes for the food to arrive. Server appears and all but throws my plate on the table without a word. I look at my meal and see some suspect lumps in there that I didn't order. I examine one closely and it's obviously chicken. At this point I'm beyond hungry, and now just a little pissed off. After another five or so minutes, I catch the eye of another server (mine was AWOL) and explain the situation. He takes my plate from me and promises to get my replacement to me quickly.

Out the corner of my eye I see server two talking animatedly with my original server. She grabs the plate from him and marches to my table. She put my plate down and asked me to explain what the problem is. I tell her firmly, but politely, that I didn't order chicken in my meal. She says I did. I say I didn't. She says I did and offers to get my order to prove it. Before I could answer, she hotfoots it to the kitchen and brings back my order slip... Except she's added the words "with chicken" to it. In pen. Never mind that I filled it out with the poxy crayons they supply.

Incredulous, I tell her I'm not willing to discuss it further with her and ask to speak to the MOD (Manager on Duty). She storms off and fetches the manager. He comes over and, rather than apologizing for the misunderstanding, tells me he'll happily prepare another dish for me, but at my own expense - because I was responsible for ordering the wrong dish in the first place.

At this point, I'm done. I get up, make to leave the restaurant and the manager asks if I would like the table held until I return. I said yes and drove to Chipotle for a vegetarian burrito...

diablopath
12-03-2008, 01:25 AM
I was hanging out with some friends of mine, and we ended up going to O'Charlies for a steak and shit.

They brought us rolls out.
After we devoured the rolls and was down to the paper, we realized that under the paper was a bowl of salad that had been previous devoured. The ranch dressing was seeping through the paper.
Yeah, it was a dirty dish -.-.

We showed it to the waitress, and the manager talked to us.
We were really cool about it, and joked about it.

We got no discount.
THE FUCK!?

LongStepMantis
12-03-2008, 01:55 AM
I don't have any good ones any more. As an adult, These things either get resolved diplomatically, or my asshole button gets pushed and I turn into "angry, large, screaming in your face" man. I have a short fuse dealing with shit like this. Incoming huge post story!

When I was younger however, I experienced a truly infuriating and...just fucking weird ordeal. I was visiting a friend and he, his friend, and myself, decided to go to Subway. We were probably 12 or 13 at the time. My buddy's mom worked for the local school, and gave us three vouchers good for a free sub from Subway. Evidently the school would distribute them for minor awards and things, and had a bunch just sitting around.

So we go order our food, and when we pay we give him the vouchers. The guy doesn't do or say anything to us, everything is perfectly normal up to this point. So we sit down to eat. A couple of minutes into eating he comes and sits at our table...Wtf? He starts asking us where we got the vouchers, so we tell him. He tells us he doesn't believe us.
Who the fuck is this guy? Sandwich patrol!? So he's not going anywhere, implying repeatedly that we acquired these vouchers in some shady manner, and we just start ignoring him.

At this point he mentions that normally, the special ed kids get these things, and since we're not "retards" (his words) we must have stolen them. You can tell he would be an excellent detective if the sandwich artist thing falls through.

We decide there's no point in arguing with the guy, so we finish eating, and get up to leave. As we're leaving, he informs us he's kicking us out...as we are headed for the door. This guy is a genius. So we continue leaving, as we were already doing. You sure showed us.

Now, the really insane part. He follows us outside, I guess to make sure we didn't run back in for no reason. Outside is a bum, who this guy knows on a first name basis evidently, and he tells the bum to yell at us. So this homeless guy starts cursing us at full volume, in the subway parking lot, while detective dipshit literally points and laughs at us.

Fuck that guy. We told my friend's mom what went down, she called and told the manager that she had given us the vouchers, and after kissing her ass over the phone, let us know that detective dipshit was now unemployed...ha ha!

I just wanted a fucking sandwich.

Shamrock Jimmy
12-03-2008, 02:21 AM
Me and my brother walk in to Washington Mutual to deposit some checks, his account was overdrafted by like $700 so he was put in check systems but he has like $1300 in checks so he assumes he is going to be able to deposit them and get his account back in good standing but the guy tells him he can't deposit checks until he deposits the $700 he owes, now he's thinking that just means personal checks (which about $500 of what he had was) but no, he cant deposit his paycheck either. So he walks up to me as I'm depositing my checks and asks me to cash them for him, which we did about a month before so he would have a some money for food while we where working at fairs in Montana, and they tell us they can't let me cash his checks. About a week later I go in to deposit my check and I tell the girl that's depositing the money for me what happened, who obviously has a crush on me BTW, and she said that was bullshit and she would have let me cash the checks.

Ancalagon
12-03-2008, 04:48 AM
So, when I was at university in South Africa, I got students loans through a bank called FNB. My mom stood suretyship for them, because obviously I had no assets to the secure them. We also took out insurance policies on them.

Fast forward to last year July. I'm working in my first full time role, a few months after finishing studying, in the UK. I phone FNB to set up student loan repayments. They tell me I dont have a student loan. Okayyyyyyy... I tell them to look at my Moms account. They do, and find two loans. I tell them that the smaller one (the one for about R50 000, about $8000 probably) is mine. They say okay, we will email you a form to fill out, you print it out, sign it, scan it, and email it back. Cool, I do that.

Some months later, I miss a payment somehow. I phone them to find out what happened, they say I didnt have the funds in my account. They tell me the balance of my loan - over R100 000. Very irritated, I say no, thats not my loan, thats my older brothers. Sigh.... So I have to do the whole printing and signing and scanning thing again. I ask them to transfer what I have paid into my brothers loan, into my loan. No joy.

Last year November, my Mom dies. We go to South Africa for the funeral, and I stop by the bank to tell them what happened. I ask them whats happening with my payments. they say, due to the insurance on the loans, they will be covered, and I can stop payments. They say just phone this lady, tell her what happened, and she will ask you to fax the death certificate through. Fine and dandy, we do that, and she says it will take two weeks to sort out. We also get in touch with a lawyer, who will help us wrap up the estate, and get him to deal with FNB to get the loans to be covered by insurance.

I notice that money is still coming off my account every month for this loan, so I email them to ask them to stop the payments. I get a response saying my query has been forwarded to the right department. I never get a response. I try again 1 month later, 2 months later, I email them basically every month, getting angrier and angrier that they are taking about $300 a month from my account and I cant stop them. I still have other things to pay for in South Africa so I cant close the account. Nobody helps me, and the lawyer isnt helpful either.

Eventually the lawyer says that the insurance will pay out and our loans will be covered. I ask him about recovering the money from the bank, he says he will investigate. Two months go by, they are still taking money from my account. I send an angry, nasty email, to everyone at FNB that I've ever received an email from. I email the lawyer (more politely). I phone them the next day. I ask the lady about cancelling the debit order. She says I need to come in. I say I'm in the UK, thats a bit difficult. She says that I need to write a letter and sign it instructing them to do so. I say how about email, she says not the same, letter or nothing. I write the letter and send it.

Since then, they have refunded me for 2 months of payments (with no interest of course), and the lawyer has said the bank has agreed to pay the rest of th money by the end of November. I still havent got it.

Now, I know some of you might say that the fact I needed to instruct them in writing should have been obvious. Maybe so, but then I wish they had just told me that in the first place. Would have made life so much easier.

Worst. Bank. Ever.

Karak
12-03-2008, 10:07 AM
So, when I was at university in South Africa, I got students loans through a bank called FNB. My mom stood suretyship for them, because obviously I had no assets to the secure them. We also took out insurance policies on them.

Fast forward to last year July. I'm working in my first full time role, a few months after finishing studying, in the UK. I phone FNB to set up student loan repayments. They tell me I dont have a student loan. Okayyyyyyy... I tell them to look at my Moms account. They do, and find two loans. I tell them that the smaller one (the one for about R50 000, about $8000 probably) is mine. They say okay, we will email you a form to fill out, you print it out, sign it, scan it, and email it back. Cool, I do that.

Some months later, I miss a payment somehow. I phone them to find out what happened, they say I didnt have the funds in my account. They tell me the balance of my loan - over R100 000. Very irritated, I say no, thats not my loan, thats my older brothers. Sigh.... So I have to do the whole printing and signing and scanning thing again. I ask them to transfer what I have paid into my brothers loan, into my loan. No joy.

Last year November, my Mom dies. We go to South Africa for the funeral, and I stop by the bank to tell them what happened. I ask them whats happening with my payments. they say, due to the insurance on the loans, they will be covered, and I can stop payments. They say just phone this lady, tell her what happened, and she will ask you to fax the death certificate through. Fine and dandy, we do that, and she says it will take two weeks to sort out. We also get in touch with a lawyer, who will help us wrap up the estate, and get him to deal with FNB to get the loans to be covered by insurance.

I notice that money is still coming off my account every month for this loan, so I email them to ask them to stop the payments. I get a response saying my query has been forwarded to the right department. I never get a response. I try again 1 month later, 2 months later, I email them basically every month, getting angrier and angrier that they are taking about $300 a month from my account and I cant stop them. I still have other things to pay for in South Africa so I cant close the account. Nobody helps me, and the lawyer isnt helpful either.

Eventually the lawyer says that the insurance will pay out and our loans will be covered. I ask him about recovering the money from the bank, he says he will investigate. Two months go by, they are still taking money from my account. I send an angry, nasty email, to everyone at FNB that I've ever received an email from. I email the lawyer (more politely). I phone them the next day. I ask the lady about cancelling the debit order. She says I need to come in. I say I'm in the UK, thats a bit difficult. She says that I need to write a letter and sign it instructing them to do so. I say how about email, she says not the same, letter or nothing. I write the letter and send it.

Since then, they have refunded me for 2 months of payments (with no interest of course), and the lawyer has said the bank has agreed to pay the rest of th money by the end of November. I still havent got it.

Now, I know some of you might say that the fact I needed to instruct them in writing should have been obvious. Maybe so, but then I wish they had just told me that in the first place. Would have made life so much easier.

Worst. Bank. Ever.
Financial bad service is the worst. That sucks.

Raen
12-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Financial bad service is the worst. That sucks.

In direct contrast a band was where I got my best ever service. Apparently if you walk in carrying a large, black, unmarked duffle bag you get very good service.

Ox
12-03-2008, 11:39 AM
No, the worst bad service is medical.

I went to my GP for a routine checkup a while back. Everything normal (for me, I mean; my GP started to go white as a sheet when she read what my specialists had forwarded to her). Fine, whatever. Couple days later, I get a voicemail:
"Hi, James, it's Dr. So-and-so. I just got back your bloodwork, and there's something on it I really need to talk to you about. I'm concerned and I want to get on it right away. Please call me back when you get this."

Wow, sweating bullets now and thinking about the last time I was in Vegas. Call her up...

"Oh, James, I'm glad you called. I'm looking at your test results and I really need to talk to you about it."
(Bracing myself) "Okay, what's wrong?"
"Well... it's your cholesterol. Your bad cholesterol ought to be below 130, and yours is 131."
"... You left me that message because my bad cholesterol is one point too high?"
"Yes. You know these things tend to creep up as you get older, and I think you want to nip that in the bud right now."

Extra-special bonus:
I was on a drug that causes a variety of side effects, including (quoting from the warning label) "heart arrythmia," "cardiac arrest," and "sudden death." One night at around 11pm, I start feeling woozy and my heart is racing even when I lie down calmly. I check the label and it says, in capital letters, that these are symptoms that should cause me to call my health care provider IMMEDIATELY.

So I do. Night staff advises me to go to the ER (they always do this, even if you call to complain you stubbed your toe. Malpractice insurance doesn't rise if you tell patients to go to the ER unnecessarily).

I go to the ER. Complaining, it must be said, of erratic heartbeat and noting that I'm on a drug that causes cardiac arrest and sudden death. I also point out that my doctor works at the hospital, and that he ostensibly called ahead to the ER for me (this comment engendered the sort of looks you'd give a grown man who claimed he still believed in Santa Claus).

For a major and respected hospital in the center of a large city like Philadelphia, this was a pretty quiet night at the ER. I managed to see the triage nurse, who took my blood pressure and other vitals, then told me to wait for the doctor on a gurney. I was under strict orders not to sit up, move, or talk unless absolutely necessary.

"Okay," I said, "that makes sense. But I note I'm in a dark corner of the ER over here, and none of the nurses can see me. Shouldn't I be hooked up to a heart monitor?"

By this point, of course, the nurse was far away. I waited for four and a half hours, counting the rather frightening number of dust bunnies in the ER. It maintained the same level of pristine cleanliness as my college dorm room. I understand if bodily fluids and such are everywhere -- that's the nature of an ER -- but dust actually frightens me.

Eventually an intern came over and examined me. He told me to wait for the doctor.

"Okay... but shouldn't I be hooked up to a heart monitor?"
"You mean you aren't hooked up to one right now?"

Note that there was no medical equipment of any kind anywhere near me. Unless invisible heart monitors are being rolled out in hospitals nationwide, it was a borderline-retarded question. Anyway, he clearly is terrified of the prospect of making such a weighty decision as whether to hook me up to an EKG without higher approval. The side effects are apparently hideous.

Eventually the doctor comes by.

"Why aren't you on a heart monitor?" Like it's my fault. At this point I got up and started yelling at her. It was around four in the morning by this point, I had to go to work in a few hours, and I was a little cranky. I eventually accused them of posing a greater risk to my health than the average mugger (given that I was about to give myself a heart attack simply fuming at them) and signed myself out against medical advice (which suddenly was forthcoming, although I never did see a heart monitor).

LongStepMantis
12-03-2008, 12:42 PM

I went to my GP for a routine checkup a while back. Everything normal (for me, I mean; my GP started to go white as a sheet when she read what my specialists had forwarded to her). Fine, whatever. Couple days later, I get a voicemail:
"Hi, James, it's Dr. So-and-so. I just got back your bloodwork, and there's something on it I really need to talk to you about. I'm concerned and I want to get on it right away. Please call me back when you get this."

Wow, sweating bullets now and thinking about the last time I was in Vegas. Call her up...

"Oh, James, I'm glad you called. I'm looking at your test results and I really need to talk to you about it."
"Well... it's your cholesterol. Your bad cholesterol ought to be below 130, and yours is 131."
"... You left me that message because my bad cholesterol is one point too high?"
"Yes. You know these things tend to creep up as you get older, and I think you want to nip that in the bud right now."

Extra-special bonus:
I was on a drug that causes a variety of side effects, including (quoting from the warning label) "heart arrythmia," "cardiac arrest," and "sudden death." One night at around 11pm, I start feeling woozy and my heart is racing even when I lie down calmly. I check the label and it says, in capital letters, that these are symptoms that should cause me to call my health care provider IMMEDIATELY.

So I do. Night staff advises me to go to the ER (they always do this, even if you call to complain you stubbed your toe. Malpractice insurance doesn't rise if you tell patients to go to the ER unnecessarily).

I go to the ER. Complaining, it must be said, of erratic heartbeat and noting that I'm on a drug that causes cardiac arrest and sudden death. I also point out that my doctor works at the hospital, and that he ostensibly called ahead to the ER for me (this comment engendered the sort of looks you'd give a grown man who claimed he still believed in Santa Claus).

For a major and respected hospital in the center of a large city like Philadelphia, this was a pretty quiet night at the ER. I managed to see the triage nurse, who took my blood pressure and other vitals, then told me to wait for the doctor on a gurney. I was under strict orders not to sit up, move, or talk unless absolutely necessary.

"Okay," I said, "that makes sense. But I note I'm in a dark corner of the ER over here, and none of the nurses can see me. Shouldn't I be hooked up to a heart monitor?"

By this point, of course, the nurse was far away. I waited for four and a half hours, counting the rather frightening number of dust bunnies in the ER. It maintained the same level of pristine cleanliness as my college dorm room. I understand if bodily fluids and such are everywhere -- that's the nature of an ER -- but dust actually frightens me.

Eventually an intern came over and examined me. He told me to wait for the doctor.

"Okay... but shouldn't I be hooked up to a heart monitor?"
"You mean you aren't hooked up to one right now?"

Note that there was no medical equipment of any kind anywhere near me. Unless invisible heart monitors are being rolled out in hospitals nationwide, it was a borderline-retarded question. Anyway, he clearly is terrified of the prospect of making such a weighty decision as whether to hook me up to an EKG without higher approval. The side effects are apparently hideous.

Eventually the doctor comes by.

"Why aren't you on a heart monitor?" Like it's my fault. At this point I got up and started yelling at her. It was around four in the morning by this point, I had to go to work in a few hours, and I was a little cranky. I eventually accused them of posing a greater risk to my health than the average mugger (given that I was about to give myself a heart attack simply fuming at them) and signed myself out against medical advice (which suddenly was forthcoming, although I never did see a heart monitor).

Surprise, surprise. One time I had to take a buddy of mine to the ER in the middle of the night because he was whacked out of his mind on his prescription pills, and told me he was going to die.

So we wait in the ER for five hours before someone asks to see him. The doctor asks him what's wrong, and my buddy launches into a tirade about how he's been hallucinating, thinks everyone he sees is trying to kill him, and his heart is racing as if he'd just run a marathon. The side effects for his medication didn't imply anything along these lines.

The doctor listens, nods quietly for about 15 seconds and says..."I can prescribe you some pills to help you sleep." I asked the doctor in an aside, if he thought prescribing pills to someone who was here because of other pills is a wise move. Especially given that not sleeping isn't one of the problems he'd even mentioned. His response?

"I can't do anything else, so if he doesn't want the pills you can just go."

Thanks for the help, Doc. I know my friend wasn't blameless in any way, but prescribing sedatives to someone who could be abusing pills? How is that a good idea?

zarathstra
12-03-2008, 12:46 PM

My mother had a similar thing happen, only the doctor called her house on Friday afternoon. She gets home from work and listens to her messages, one of which is her doctor telling her that her test results have come in and that its important she call her immediately.

Since the doctor's office is of course closed on weekends, she spends three days thinking she has cancer. On Monday, she calls as soon as the office opens, and the doctor tells her she just wanted to let her know that everything was fine. THANKS DOC!

Sandman
12-03-2008, 02:12 PM
This thread has been entertaining, keep it coming.

OrangePulp
12-03-2008, 03:38 PM

Lazar's Bazaar is a weird place. I've been in there once or twice, years back, and I doubt it's changed much. Haha, I remember when he ran for mayor.

I'm glad that I can't recall anything to add to this thread; Some of these situations, had I been involved, would have filled me with terrible rage. Ox, I admire your legal prowess, but damn if your medical issues don't scare the hell out of me. Are they your superhero weakness or something?

Shamrock Jimmy
12-03-2008, 03:51 PM
My mom took me and my sister to a fast food pace (I cant remember which one) and my sister wanted a kids meal so she could get the toy, but my mom doesn't let my sister drink soda so she ordered a kids meal without the drink. When they told her the price she noticed it was too much and they said that because she didn't want the drink they were charging her for the burger, the fries, and the toy separately. My mom spent about 15 minutes arguing with them trying to explain to them how retarded that was, until she finally gave up and asked the person behind us if they wanted a drink and gave it to them.

biosc1
12-03-2008, 04:37 PM
My story.

The backstory:

Bike trip last year, from my house to the ferries, then hopping among some of the Gulf Islands, going from bed&breakfast to b&b, etc...Overall, fantastic trip.

The trip:

Make it to Salt Spring, but I've developed a bike issue (brake is wonky)...looks like it needs a replaced brake wire.

Ask at the local information place, for a bike shop:

Clerk: "Well, there are two, one is a bike shop and the other is a sports shop."

Me: "Okay, where are they".

Clerk: "Well, one is actually below the other in the same building just up the street. One warning about the bike shop...he's 'weird'".

Okay...I hadn't been there long enough to realize that when an "islander" tells you someone is 'weird'...well, I should have taking that as a serious warning. Instead, I just chuckled about it.

Take my bike up to the bike shop to see about getting some repairs. Find the bike shop:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Qwx37tIjpWI/SKm4-8EKQwI/AAAAAAAAB6s/9bn57p-SoAs/s912/IMG_3187.JPG

Go into the shop to ask about repairs. The guy looks at the bike and says, nope...don't have anything for that, try the shop upstairs. I figured he didn't have any parts. Try upstairs, no luck either. By this point, I'm tired and just want to rest...so I go downstairs and ask the guy how much it would cost to fix the brake because the upstairs place was just a sports store, not a repair place.

Bike Guy looks again and goes "Oh, your brakes are broken, they look fine to me."

I then proceed to show him how it isn't working at all...his response:

Bike Guy: "Sorry, too busy"

Bike guy then proceeds to light up a joint and talk to this other old dude as I stand there holding my bike...

Basically...from what I gathered from other bicyclists and travellers, if you're not "one of them", they treat you poorly...because you're an "outsider". Apparently, he wasn't busy and I wasn't the first cyclist he had turned away for being an "outsider".

Ended up clipping the cable and riding with only one set of breaks until we made it to the next island (Galiano) where they had a great bike repair person who threaded a new cable in minutes.