PDA

View Full Version : EA & Ubi in Bidding War for Eidos Parent SCi?

DoctorFinger
12-01-2008, 07:24 AM
How hot is Lara Croft right now? According to the Daily Mail, both Electronic Arts and Ubisoft are engaged in a battle to acquire SCi, the parent company of publisher Eidos.

Both companies were waiting to see if Eidos could ship Tomb Raider: Underworld this year before making a serious offer for SCi. The former media giant's fall has been precipitous.From a peak of 1billion at the height of the dotcom boom it is worth just 50million today.

As recently as a year ago the games developer was worth more than 600million. Stock in the company has dropped more than 92% this year alone, a drop accelerated by the global economic crisis.

Why exactly would giants like EA and Ubisoft be fighting to snap up a company whose recent output has been so underwhelming? Eidos' value right now is less as an actual game developer or publisher, but instead as a holder of some very valuable IPs. In addition to the big names like Tomb Raider/Lara Croft and Hitman, they also have Deus Ex, Kane & Lynch, Legacy of Kain, Just Cause & Commandos in their portfolio. All of those properties have some cachet, and are seen as being somewhat underutilized by many in the industry. Eidos has also been very proactive in pushing their properties onto the big screen, so they have a much higher profile among the general public than many more beloved and successful gaming properties.

One note of caution; SCi has been on the block for more than two years now, and industry watchers have believed a deal was close many times before, with nothing coming of it. But considering how low the stock has fallen this year, it may only be a matter of 'who' and 'when' rather than 'if' this time.

Source - Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1090356/Tomb-Raider-create-SCi-takeover-talks-US-rival.html).

Grifter
12-01-2008, 07:30 AM
While EA is on a come back and I'm actually looking forward to the announcement of some new IPs from them this year I think Tomb Raider and a few of the other IPs owned by Eidos would be much better in the hands of Ubi Soft.

Purple Santa
12-01-2008, 07:30 AM
I rather see Eidos and parent company taken over than the company going bankrupt then liquidated possibly. I don't want Tomb Raider going just to anyone. I love that series. I wonder what Ubisoft would do with the series?

Kojak
12-01-2008, 07:31 AM
yeah ubisoft would have an intersting take on the franchise, perhaps some prince of persia influences would creep themselves into the gameplay. Would certainly agree with a larger focus on puzzles and less on enemies.

Grifter
12-01-2008, 07:33 AM
yeah ubisoft would have an intersting take on the franchise, perhaps some prince of persia influences would creep themselves into the gameplay. Would certainly agree with a larger focus on puzzles and less on enemies.

Could you imagine how awesome a new Legacy of Kain game would be with the influences of Assassins Creed?

H.Bogard
12-01-2008, 07:44 AM
They deserve to go bankrupt and die.

Fuckers buried precious IP's like Thief, Legacy of Kain and Project: Snowblind in the dirt for years without making use of them. They deserve to be penniless!

Die Eidos DIE!

Uniqueusername
12-01-2008, 07:45 AM
SCi still hold Carmageddon, don't they?

muddi900
12-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Hmm. Carmageddon

DoctorFinger
12-01-2008, 08:04 AM
It's sometimes hard to say exactly which properties they do or don't still own. Some of them may have been kept by the developers (Timesplitters), some licenses may have lapsed, and some may have even just been abandoned.

Raen
12-01-2008, 08:20 AM
I'd be interested to see Ubi take on Tomb Raider. And Commandos was awesome. If EA took it over, maybe not so much.

bean
12-01-2008, 08:31 AM
The acquisition sounds all fine and dandy, but the harsh result of these is often the shuttering of several studios putting even more industry experienced workers out of jobs (making it harder for me to get one - about to graduate), and resulting in fewer titles made.

I'm not so worried about the fewer titles made because there is either not much freedom given to creatives at Eidos or the creatives are simply pitching uninnovative ideas.

Deadend
12-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Eidos could do with new people in charge. They have a history of being a horrible publisher.

Seriously, when a good Eidos game comes out, it is a fucking shock to me.

KingGorilla
12-01-2008, 10:19 AM
This looks more like someone wants to buy Crystal D. I doubt EA would make a big push: the fall through of that proposed Take2 deal really hurt them. Also, the current climate is about conservative moves, not buying too much. Companies are hybernating and trying to weather this storm.

roboninja
12-01-2008, 11:05 AM
SCi still hold Carmageddon, don't they?

Interest in story: greatly intensified. Give me a new-gen Carmageddon, please. Just the exact same original game, with new shiny graphics and physics. You don't really have to change much gameplay-wise, it was already perfect.

Kojak
12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Good luck ever getting a Carmageddon game with violence in games as it is. Media would be on that faster than you can say green blood. First one was banned in Australia until they changed all the pedestrians into zombies but I think a new gen Carmageddon would have trouble even in the states these days.

MagGnome
12-01-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't think UbiSoft would be the best place for these licenses to go. I don't see how they are much better than EA these days. UbiSoft basically relies on a few licenses over and over just as EA does. I guess they haven't been as bad this gen, but last gen there was a Splinter Cell every year!

Anyway, it's too bad Eidos is in such straits, but I'm not surprised. They have had poor management for years. They've pretty much wasted a lot of top notch IP.

Sl1pstream
12-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Criterion-developed Carmageddon game confirmed!

Xerxes
12-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Could you imagine how awesome a new Legacy of Kain game would be with the influences of Assassins Creed?

I hate you. Now all I can think about is being Kain running through a Damascus at night time. Calling folks into an ally for a bite. Fighting Knights and then fleeing up buildings.

My vote goes for to Ubi. Hopefully they don't do something awful like make it were Lara can't die. If she misses a jump, she better die.

Uniqueusername
12-02-2008, 04:05 AM
It's sometimes hard to say exactly which properties they do or don't still own. Some of them may have been kept by the developers (Timesplitters).
The developers (Stainless) do not have the rights. SCi were pretty uptight about retaining control, and the relationship was a little rough. That being said, SCi could have sold the rights to someone else...

First one was banned in Australia until they changed all the pedestrians into zombies but I think a new gen Carmageddon would have trouble even in the states these days.
Actually, the OFLC rated the full gore version of Carmageddon with an MA15+ rating. (UK got the zombies, Germany got the robots.)

The OFLC ratings system is a bit weird, but because Carmageddon is funny, it gets through rating easier.

In fact, the OFLC actually defended Carmageddon, pointing out that complaints were only recieved after a newspaper article on the game, and none of the complainants had actually played the game...

Disgustipated
12-02-2008, 04:18 AM
I hate you. Now all I can think about is being Kain running through a Damascus at night time. Calling folks into an ally for a bite. Fighting Knights and then fleeing up buildings.

My vote goes for to Ubi. Hopefully they don't do something awful like make it were Lara can't die. If she misses a jump, she better die.

God damn. That's what I thought Blood Omen II would be. That game was fucking lame.

Xerxes
12-02-2008, 04:29 AM
God damn. That's what I thought Blood Omen II would be. That game was fucking lame.

I thought that game was great. I think if you evolve most of what they were trying to do with that into something in the Assassin's Creed engine, it would be a day one for me.

I was weirded out by the sucking blood through peoples skin a mile away though. I want him to get up in them necks. And I mean let me gage my bites. Like enemies, I wanted to suck the life out of those hoes. But it doesn't have to be so rough for people just walking around, unless I wanted to be a dick.

I like the combat and powers in BO 2 as well.

DoctorFinger
12-02-2008, 07:55 AM
I borrowed the last Legacy of Kain from a friend, and the gameplay was absolutely putrid, but I kept plugging along because I wanted to see where the story went. Right now I'd like to see a complete reboot of that franchise, with the same voice actors.