PDA

View Full Version : My new fetis-er Hobby: Knives!

OldeWolf
11-28-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm an avid outdoors man/wilderness first responder so it is to no surprise I love knives for many purposes. So I'm learning about all the useful knives I could get and own (even the "it's for cops only" knives some day :D)

Here's what I've collected so far:

http://www.swissarmy.com/images/ProductCatalog/vm/vm_53900_sol_a03.jpg

http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/products/fu99168.jpg

Something similar but not exactly.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/312WARCXNYL._AA400_.jpg

My goal is to mass a collection that ranges between underwater knives to leg belted knives to throwing knives (got to practice that one) to many other purpose knives. I do want to find a way to obtain a cop knife that pops out of the handle when clicked.

Whats ya'all's knife knowledges? Do share what you guys have!

Roaddawg
11-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Say Hello to my little friend...

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1962139/2/istockphoto_1962139_butterfly_knife.jpg

Jason
11-28-2008, 08:50 PM
A man after my own heart. I had to register and respond after seeing this thread.

Here's a few of the ones I have:
Mini Presidio by Benchmade(automatic or the police knife) (http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=525)
Police by Spyderco (http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=2)
Morpho by Benchmade (http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=32)

maharahaj
11-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Knives rule. I wish I was cutting something right now.

Scaryfaced
11-28-2008, 09:16 PM
I've been completely obsessed with ancient weaponry for awhile now. While not knife specific, every culture had interesting variations on the knife that tend to reflect the people who use them. Knives are uniquely universal and fascinating to learn about. A few honorable mentions go to the strangly curvy middle eastern Kris or the flat topped southeast Asian Gulok. I recently caught a cool video of a gulok being poisoned by tempering the blade in a mixture of poisonous worms and spiders cooked in an acidic liquid. Fascinating stuff, but I wouldn't try it at home.

As for modern knives, I've got a little collection for myself. Nothing too fancy, mostly utilitarian. A few various swiss armies, a bowie knife, my grandpa's WWII army knife, an old switch blade and a cheep butterfly knife I like to swing around to impress the ladies.
________
BRUNETTE BLOWJOB (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/414/blowjob/videos/1)

Superman's Dead
11-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Say Hello to my little friend...

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1962139/2/istockphoto_1962139_butterfly_knife.jpg

One like that got me expelled from high school...sweet black German surgical steel bought in Italy...

PathMaster
11-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Does a ...Leatherman count?!

KingGorilla
11-28-2008, 10:24 PM
While not a collector, per se, I do have a decent array of knives for various purposes. My complete kitchen set, with 10 inch cleaver, has proven immensely useful. I have a Buck Knife for animal skinning, a superb fish knife that also works wenn on small animal skinning. I managed to snag a Smith and Wesson folding knife, first production run, of their SWAT series at a gun and knife show some years ago as a general purpose knife(open boxes and such).

BLeeP
11-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Wow, I saw this topic on my phone early and figured it was about you having a baby. I read it as such:

My new fetus..er, hobby.

Anyhow, I used to collect knives but that was when I was way younger. They take up a lot of space and get kind of cheesy after awhile 8-(. It would be cool to have some replicas of awesome swords from popular media (which is even cheesier, I know!).

OldeWolf
11-28-2008, 10:50 PM
I make it a point to collect knives that have practical use and have it ready at all times. If I buy a sword (as I really want to), it is going to be real and high quality (got to use something to kill Zombies with when I run out of ammos :D)

Vandabo
11-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Back when I lived out in the country I used to be an avid knife thrower. I used to make my own knives out of scrap metal or old tools. None of them were very pretty, but they would stick well in a log. I made a really bad katana once too, but the steel I used was way too soft to be useful for cutting anything. I used to really enjoy that stuff, but now I live in an apartment and it is basically impossible continue doing it. Now I only have a set of Gil Hibben 7 inch throwers that I throw into a dart board.

Spacetronaut
11-28-2008, 11:02 PM
I've got a decent collection, maybe 15 or 16. A lot of them are CRKT (the M-16 is my favorite, but it's way to big to carry around), but I have a few Gerbers, a couple Benchmades, and two really nice SOG fixed blades that I got from my dad. They're strewn all over my apartment, so I'm never more than a couple feet from a knife of some kind. It can get kind of expensive though when you start spending $100+ per knife, so I pretty much gave up on buying new ones.

fitbabits
11-29-2008, 01:12 AM
A man after my own heart. I had to register and respond after seeing this thread.

Here's a few of the ones I have:
Mini Presidio by Benchmade(automatic or the police knife) (http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=525)
Police by Spyderco (http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=2)
Morpho by Benchmade (http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=32)
OMGA (Oh My Giddy Aunt) - another Panthers fan! Welcome to the CoG.

Expugnare
11-29-2008, 03:24 AM
I have a Smith & Wesson "24-7" First Production Run, Cold Steel 12" Tanto, CRKT Karambit, Spyderco Karambit, Spyderco Police and quite a few others that my dad has accumulated from various gun and knife shows.

crazyD
11-29-2008, 04:05 AM
I make it a point to collect knives that have practical use and have it ready at all times. If I buy a sword (as I really want to), it is going to be real and high quality (got to use something to kill Zombies with when I run out of ammos :D)

I guess this is off topic, but bladed weapons are terrible against zombies. You are just asking for the blade to get wedged in a skull, and then you are stuck without a weapon. Cutting a head off looks much easier in the movies.

I would recommend a baseball bat for melee bashing damage.

OldeWolf
11-29-2008, 10:14 AM
I guess this is off topic, but bladed weapons are terrible against zombies. You are just asking for the blade to get wedged in a skull, and then you are stuck without a weapon. Cutting a head off looks much easier in the movies.

I would recommend a baseball bat for melee bashing damage.

You think? Guess you haven't been watching "Graphic Sword Proof: Cold Steel" videos. ;)

lIsec-MTGwU

OldeWolf
11-29-2008, 11:03 AM
There is a kind of knife that I want to get, a Boot knife since I wear cowboy boots. Problem is, I want to buy one that is not made in china and is of good quality that doesn't break the bank. :p

Any idea/suggestions?

crazyD
11-29-2008, 12:04 PM
You think? Guess you haven't been watching "Graphic Sword Proof: Cold Steel" videos. ;)

lIsec-MTGwU

It took like 12 cuts to cut through plywood! Also, that was the fucking funniest thing I have ever seen.

OldeWolf
11-29-2008, 12:24 PM
It took like 12 cuts to cut through plywood! Also, that was the fucking funniest thing I have ever seen.

You cant even count, can you? :p
If you watched the whole DVD video (I actually have one at home), you can see that they slice through flesh very well. They even tried it on a cow's head among other things. Do check it out after you're done laughing without understanding what you're seeing. :D

ClannerDelta
11-29-2008, 12:52 PM

I... I don't think you understand what you're looking at.

Jason
11-29-2008, 01:50 PM
OMGA (Oh My Giddy Aunt) - another Panthers fan! Welcome to the CoG.

Thanks for the welcome. And it's always nice to find another Panther fan.

There is a kind of knife that I want to get, a Boot knife since I wear cowboy boots. Problem is, I want to buy one that is not made in china and is of good quality that doesn't break the bank.

Any idea/suggestions?

Kershaw makes one (http://www.knifeworks.com/kershawmilitarybootknifepomscalehandleplainkydexsh eath.aspx). I'm just not sure of where it's made.
Zero Tolerance makes a more expensive one (http://www.knifeworks.com/zerotolerancemilitarybootknifematteblackg-10handleplainedge.aspx). It is supposed to be made here in the states.

crazyD
11-29-2008, 03:07 PM
You cant even count, can you? :p
If you watched the whole DVD video (I actually have one at home), you can see that they slice through flesh very well. They even tried it on a cow's head among other things. Do check it out after you're done laughing without understanding what you're seeing. :D

Cutting through flesh and cutting through flesh, tissue, and bone on a moving target are two very different things. And yes, I exaggerated, but it did take several cuts to go through a thin layer of plyboard. I maintain that swords, or any other bladed weapon, are a terrible zombie weapon.

VerseD
11-29-2008, 03:15 PM
I'd take an axe against zombies.

But what about the eternal question: Leatherman or Gerber for multitool pliers?

Jason
11-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Leatherman without a doubt.

And why not a flamethrower againest the zombies?

OldeWolf
11-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Cutting through flesh and cutting through flesh, tissue, and bone on a moving target are two very different things. And yes, I exaggerated, but it did take several cuts to go through a thin layer of plyboard. I maintain that swords, or any other bladed weapon, are a terrible zombie weapon.

Really, do watch the entire video if you get a chance to. It will show you that those many swords will and does slice through bones. Besides, the zombies are already rotting away. ;)

fitbabits
11-29-2008, 04:58 PM

Gravity gun and spare saw blades would do the trick as well.

Scaryfaced
11-29-2008, 05:17 PM

Flamethrowers are a no no. Then you'd have zombies chasing you while on fire. If regular zombies weren't bad enough, try flaming zombies. Thats a scary thought. It might work if you set the lot of them on fire and then run far, far away. Otherwise, say no to fire.

If I were going to choose a zombie killing weapon, i would probably be the new trend of "tactical" tomahawks/franciscas. It's basically a tomahawk pressed out of a solid peice of steal, then fancied up with a dragon's beard and a spiked back and head. I've seen a few videos of people opening up car hoods like a can opener. Now that's a weapon for zombie killing. It's got the brute force to split skulls, multiple points of impact and a dragons beard to help you wrench it out of whatever it might be stuck in.
________
Vaporizer forums (http://vaporizers.net)

evilgoodwin
11-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah, no flamethrowers. Zombies don't feel pain, so it just makes a zombie that's on fire. Which is stumbling and setting everything else it touches on fire.

Crowbar is the way to go. Most aluminum bats can and will break if overused, so might as well go with a lightweight, solid metal smashing tool with a sharp point for bashing, and stabbing. Also, crowbars can be used to open boarded up areas and such.

And NO this is not a Half-Life reference, it's just what I got out of the Zombie Survival Guide (http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Survival-Guide-Complete-Protection/dp/1400049628/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228001328&sr=8-1). It makes some good points!

Oh, and sweet knives!

...And what's with the guy in that video? Does he really need to adopt a "Battle Face" every time he swings that sword? And afterwards when he shows it off?

crazyD
11-29-2008, 06:00 PM
...And what's with the guy in that video? Does he really need to adopt a "Battle Face" every time he swings that sword? And afterwards when he shows it off?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that was ridiculous.

OldeWolf
11-29-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that was ridiculous.

Who gives a crap what his face looks like. Not like his face determines the quality of blades to the viewer's eyes. The only thing I care about is the practicality of those weapons.

Move videos from Cold Steel:

cnUuom1HABI

Xq1EFWVV3C0

FTbuG--UKOQ

crazyD
11-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Who gives a crap what his face looks like. Not like his face determines the quality of blades to the viewer's eyes. The only thing I care about is the practicality of those weapons.

The practicality of the weapons? Are you serious? There is nothing at all practical about owning a sword.

Even beyond the face, he just seems so serious about cutting random things, and it is hilarious, in a bad infomercial kind of way.

LongStepMantis
11-30-2008, 01:19 PM
I knew it! When I saw this thread was about knives, I thought "It'll end up a debate on zombie weaponry."

You guys are awesome. :D

I don't have any fancy knives to showcase, all of mine are more collector's pieces. A WW1 bayonet knife, stiletto, and WW2 Japanese officer's short blade. The last one was given to my father by my grandfather, who served in the pacific during WW2...I didn't ask for details of how he acquired it.

Jason
11-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Flamethrowers are a no no. Then you'd have zombies chasing you while on fire. If regular zombies weren't bad enough, try flaming zombies. Thats a scary thought. It might work if you set the lot of them on fire and then run far, far away. Otherwise, say no to fire.

If I were going to choose a zombie killing weapon, i would probably be the new trend of "tactical" tomahawks/franciscas. It's basically a tomahawk pressed out of a solid peice of steal, then fancied up with a dragon's beard and a spiked back and head. I've seen a few videos of people opening up car hoods like a can opener. Now that's a weapon for zombie killing. It's got the brute force to split skulls, multiple points of impact and a dragons beard to help you wrench it out of whatever it might be stuck in.

But I would have the high ground or be somewhere where the zombies couldn't reach me as I watched them burn. Besides, then there would be a fire for marshmellows.:D

crazyD
11-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Fire also runs the risk of airborne infection, if possible in this potential zombie scenario.

OldeWolf
11-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Swords and Axe and Knives still has a practical function of self defense if one knows how to use it. In the case of Zombie plague, their bodies are already rotting away, it doesn't take much to slice their bodies apart (you will be able to see that if you even bother to watch those videos of swords slicing through flesh with ease).

Besides, it's good to know there is a sturdy dependable sword when one needs it. ;)

evilgoodwin
11-30-2008, 09:56 PM
More often than not, the zombies won't be as rotten in the first few hours or days. And the ones who are underground and buried? How are they supposed to break through a coffin and get through dirt? Just can't be done, I tells ya!

OldeWolf
11-30-2008, 10:01 PM
If everyone keeps aiming the sword upon the zombie's head in every scenarios instead of the neck, then yeah the person swinging that sword is a moron that doesn't know how to aim right and deserves to be mocked after he/she dies.

But a smart sword fighter in close quarter can perform really well against zombies. Hell, Bruce Lee can kick their asses with only a nunchuck, so imagine him with a sword. ;)

evilgoodwin
11-30-2008, 10:35 PM
But remember, to destroy a zombie, you must destroy the brain. So even loose zombie heads are a hazard if you're not careful :D

And I just imagined a Bruce Lee zombie movie. It'd be the greatest thing since bacon was invented...

crazyD
12-01-2008, 08:22 AM
If everyone keeps aiming the sword upon the zombie's head in every scenarios instead of the neck, then yeah the person swinging that sword is a moron that doesn't know how to aim right and deserves to be mocked after he/she dies.

But a smart sword fighter in close quarter can perform really well against zombies. Hell, Bruce Lee can kick their asses with only a nunchuck, so imagine him with a sword. ;)

In the panic of the moment, it would be real easy to get a bladed weapon stuck in the top of a zombies head, or stabbed through a zombie. Even if you believe it's easy as pie to decapitate a zombie, bladed weapons are still a higher risk for failing then a bashing weapon.

Bruce Lee can kick zombies ass with nunchucks because Bruce Lee could kick anything's ass with a nunchuck. That, and a nunchuck, especially to someone who knows how to use it, is a far better zombie weapon then a sword.

OldeWolf
12-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Guns can jam
Swords can get stuck
Axes can get stuck
Bashing weapon's head can break off
Flame thrower can run out of fuel
Human skins can break apart

Any more other pessimism you would like to add in here? :p

crazyD
12-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Well, I would recommend a simple bashing weapon like a bat or a wrecking bar over something where the impact is all in one point, like a sledge hammer, that could break, then be useless. All I am saying is that, even if I play along and agree that the human neck and spine turn into the consistency of salt water taffy 5 minutes after death, a simple and sturdy bashing weapon would be the most efficient go-to melee weapon in the zombie apocalypse.

Also, flame throwers main issue isn't running out of fuel. Flame throwers main issue is that the only thing worse then a zombie is a zombie on fire.

Sirindu
12-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Funny where this topic has gone... I suppose I will contribute. I don't share crazyD's complete dismissal of bladed weaponry. But I have to say I would go with a "bashing" type weapon as well for melee situations. Specifically, either a bo staff or jo staff.

Scaryfaced
12-01-2008, 08:00 PM
How about a Mace or Morning Star? You'd get all the benefits of an average bashing weapon, like a pipe or something, it'd be practically unbreakable and you'd get the added bonus of piercing damage. I hear Zombies have a -3 to pierce resistance. Come to think of it, a good morning star would be incredibly effective. It's solid, heavy, relatively easy to use and would cause rediculous damage to an exposed zombie head.
________
FETISH BEACH (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/506/beach/videos/1)

evilgoodwin
12-01-2008, 09:34 PM
How about a Mace or Morning Star? You'd get all the benefits of an average bashing weapon, like a pipe or something, it'd be practically unbreakable and you'd get the added bonus of piercing damage. I hear Zombies have a -3 to pierce resistance. Come to think of it, a good morning star would be incredibly effective. It's solid, heavy, relatively easy to use and would cause rediculous damage to an exposed zombie head.

The problem therein lies in getting a high quality mace or morning star. Most 'replicas' are not battle ready and will most likely break when you least need them to. At least the swords in the video seem to be of very high quality. Now if they made clubs of the same quality.....

Generation ABXY
12-01-2008, 11:13 PM

lIsec-MTGwU

I always wanted to learn how to use a sword, if for no other reason than to say I could. Unfortunately, the person who was supposed to teach me ended up going insane and took to hunting down hookers with a bow and arrow.

I may look into it again one day, but I can assure you the next teacher will be getting a psychological evaluation first. :D

Scaryfaced
12-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I always wanted to learn how to use a sword, if for no other reason than to say I could. Unfortunately, the person who was supposed to teach me ended up going insane and took to hunting down hookers with a bow and arrow.

I may look into it again one day, but I can assure you the next teacher will be getting a psychological evaluation first. :D

The most dangerous game of them all...Hookers.
________
Tube Amateur (http://www.fucktube.com/)

Generation ABXY
12-01-2008, 11:25 PM
The most dangerous game of them all...Hookers.

If they had at least been given some warning, I might agree with you. But it seemed rather unsporting of him to shoot them while they were just standing on the street, presumably just trying to earn a living... :p

LongStepMantis
12-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Half-Life showed us something that we should all remember.

The crowbar is the ultimate hand to hand weapon against zombies. It may not be the best weapon overall, but is still quite lethal as either a club or stabbing with the pointed end.

The deal sealer is that it also a tool doing everything a crowbar should do. Pry things open, move heavy objects, etc. A claw carpenter's hammer would be decent as well for the same reasons. Semi-sharp on one side and a blunt club on the other, also capable of nailing things shut. In both cases they would have to be models of decent weight.

Sirindu
12-01-2008, 11:57 PM

Um, wow... I remember a story about something eerily similar back on EvAv sometime early in the year or last year. Is that the same incident?

Urizen
12-02-2008, 12:33 AM
I dig the balisong as well. Funny thing is that I used to fool around with them during high school and college and then let my passion pass. I recently saw a video of a kid acquaintance of mine on YouTube, and he's pretty good. It's got me itching to practice my twirl again.

k_nmwJOVBSU

Also, I have a few ornamental swords placed as decorative pieces around my place.

axion
12-02-2008, 12:36 AM
That guy in the Cold Steel videos makes me laugh, he pretty much loses balance after most of his swings...

Generation ABXY
12-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Um, wow... I remember a story about something eerily similar back on EvAv sometime early in the year or last year. Is that the same incident?

As I did mention it there, man, I hope so...I'd hate to think there is more than one. :eek:

Right now I'm awaiting the ever-delayed court date (seriously, it's been pushed back like half a dozen times now) where I can give me no doubt fate-sealing testimony of, "Yes, I saw him with a bow...once."

Sirindu
12-02-2008, 11:28 AM
As I did mention it there, man, I hope so...I'd hate to think there is more than one. :eek:

Right now I'm awaiting the ever-delayed court date (seriously, it's been pushed back like half a dozen times now) where I can give me no doubt fate-sealing testimony of, "Yes, I saw him with a bow...once."

lol, wow. Yeah, that story left me speechless.

OldeWolf
12-03-2008, 09:51 AM

Are you bloody serious? *Wonders how he got to know him in the first place...*

And I was thinking of finding/designing/making a modern day waraxe that has a blade on one end and a multi purpose spike on other hand designed with very high quality metal and light weight (at least to me).

Generation ABXY
12-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Are you bloody serious? *Wonders how he got to know him in the first place...*

He was my neighbor at the time. He lived in the top half of his building and ran a sort of dojo in the bottom half, though that was always closed – he was hired almost fulltime to train people at the base. But, there’s only so many times you can see someone walking around in a gi before curiosity gets the better of you.

Oh, and good luck with the axe-building. If you don't know anything about that sort of thing, you should try and find a blacksmith to apprentice with; I know around here, they're always looking for people. You may have to do it for free, but it is an interesting skill to pick up. :)

OldeWolf
12-03-2008, 10:04 AM
He was my neighbor at the time. He lived in the top half of his building and ran a sort of dojo in the bottom half, though that was always closed – he was hired almost fulltime to train people at the base. But, there’s only so many times you can see someone walking around in a gi before curiosity gets the better of you.

Oh, and good luck with the axe-building. If you don't know anything about that sort of thing, you should try and find a blacksmith to apprentice with; I know around here, they're always looking for people. You may have to do it for free, but it is an interesting skill to pick up. :)

Oh yes, I would love to pick up a free Black smithing skill. :D
One of my favorite character from Wheel of Time series is Perrin GoldenEye, partly because of the black smithing reason.

Bad Buddha
12-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Here are a couple of items that I pull out of drawers and off the walls:

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/8241/edgesej1.jpg

The axe is actually my son's. A little toy that we got for him when he was around 12 or so.

Gerber Mk2 Combat knife - A gift from my old college buddy.
Full-size Claymore - Actually is made of pretty good steel
British Fairbairn Sykes Commando Knife - Gift from my Father. The kind that he carried when he was a Ranger in Korea.
Scottish Dirk and Sgian Dubh
Indonesian Kris
Masai lion spear
Spanish off-hand dueling dagger
Nepalese Ghurka kukhri - My Father fought alongside these guys in Korea. He said they were batshit-crazy dangerous.
Silly Space-Age axe
German dagger
Kris dagger

Got a bunch of other stuff laying around but these are the fun and interesting items.

OldeWolf
12-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Here are a couple of items that I pull out of drawers and off the walls:

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/8241/edgesej1.jpg

The axe is actually my son's. A little toy that we got for him when he was around 12 or so.

Gerber Mk2 Combat knife - A gift from my old college buddy.
Full-size Claymore - Actually is made of pretty good steel
British Fairbairn Sykes Commando Knife - Gift from my Father. The kind that he carried when he was a Ranger in Korea.
Scottish Dirk and Sgian Dubh
Indonesian Kris
Masai lion spear
Spanish off-hand dueling dagger
Nepalese Ghurka kukhri - My Father fought alongside these guys in Korea. He said they were batshit-crazy dangerous.
Silly Space-Age axe
German dagger
Kris dagger

Got a bunch of other stuff laying around but these are the fun and interesting items.

Sheez...I have some catching up to do alright.

I'm going to have to find some sort of "modern" swords I can take with me hiking. :D

OldeWolf
12-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I have a question:
How do I know if a sword/knife is made of high quality metal? What is considered high quality metals? What is also considered low quality metals that I should avoid?

Generation ABXY
12-04-2008, 01:22 PM
I have a question:
How do I know if a sword/knife is made of high quality metal? What is considered high quality metals? What is also considered low quality metals that I should avoid?

Avoid anything like this:

GxA762TItvM

Sadly, that's about all I know about swords, but I figure it is as good a place to start as any; others can add on to it. ;)

OldeWolf
12-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Avoid anything like this:

GxA762TItvM

Sadly, that's about all I know about swords, but I figure it is as good a place to start as any; others can add on to it. ;)

Ha, that never gets old.

Wonder how many they sold that day. :p

shunoshi
12-04-2008, 01:34 PM
I have one knife.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/shunoshi/21DPTRNNM4L_SL500_AA280_.jpg

Comfortable, good size, practical, and cuts through a deer's hide like butter. :cool:

Generation ABXY
12-04-2008, 01:43 PM
I have one knife.

Comfortable, good size, practical, and cuts through a deer's hide like butter. :cool:

When I was younger, I once got a Wyoming knife for Christmas, and I was utterly terrified at the ease with which it cut the first time we used it. For countless months after that, I refused to even carry the thing.

OldeWolf
12-04-2008, 08:01 PM
I have a set of those kitchen knives you see them selling that can cut through metal as well as tough meats. Well, my wife refuses to use it thinking it will be too sharp and cut something she didn't want cut. :p

Bad Buddha
12-04-2008, 10:11 PM
I have a set of those kitchen knives you see them selling that can cut through metal as well as tough meats. Well, my wife refuses to use it thinking it will be too sharp and cut something she didn't want cut. :p

Sharp is good! A good sharp blade will cut easily and with little effort; it goes right where you want it to.

Dull blades are the ones that cause problems. They require you to exert more effort to cut something, which increases the likelihood you'll slip and cut yourself.

ShivaX
12-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Sharp is good! A good sharp blade will cut easily and with little effort; it goes right where you want it to.

Dull blades are the ones that cause problems. They require you to exert more effort to cut something, which increases the likelihood you'll slip and cut yourself.

It always amazes me that people don't understand that.
Hell I have a mild phobia of bladed things and I'd rather have a really sharp knife than a dull one.

OldeWolf
12-06-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm planning on getting this knife that i can strap onto my leg and hooked to my belt.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XF1XB6WTL._SS500_.jpg

OldeWolf
02-19-2011, 11:50 PM
I'm going to have someone custom make this sword for me (currently talking to a swordsmith)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ghostsoldier/THE%20BOOK%20OF%20ELI/V21.jpg

I'm also going to look into getting the following:

http://kultofathena.com/images%5CSH2432_l.jpg
http://www.armsofvalour.com/miva/graphics/00000001/0401732_L_000.jpg
http://www.armsofvalour.com/miva/graphics/00000001/Celtic%20med.jpg

KillerMcDead
02-19-2011, 11:56 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/bigmike33/44778_458522450189_547810189_6735689_7371918_n.jpg

My favorite knife. It's a D'k Tahg (http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/D%27k_tahg) and there's a switch on the handle to fold the outer blades in.

Scull
02-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Sorry I missed this earlier, so I'm gonna revert back to zombie killing for a bit. This is the melee zombie killing tool of choice (http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=FORCIBLE+ENTRY+TOOLS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=55-122&SDesc=Stanley%26%23174%3B+Fubar%26%23174%3B+Forcib le+Entry+Tool+-+30%22).

Narradisall
02-20-2011, 05:03 AM
I have a switch blade and a butterfly knife (both illegal in the UK) which I recall I managed to smuggle back from mainland Europe in my luggage in my socks (take that pre-9/11 customs).

I do have some show pieces but it's all stored away now. Most blades you buy are crap. I have a 30 year old bowie knife and I once tested it against a newer blade, it took a huge chip out the newer blade, didn't even scratch the bowie.

They don't make em like they used to!

OldeWolf
02-20-2011, 09:30 AM
I have a switch blade and a butterfly knife (both illegal in the UK) which I recall I managed to smuggle back from mainland Europe in my luggage in my socks (take that pre-9/11 customs).

I do have some show pieces but it's all stored away now. Most blades you buy are crap. I have a 30 year old bowie knife and I once tested it against a newer blade, it took a huge chip out the newer blade, didn't even scratch the bowie.

They don't make em like they used to!

Oh but they still do make them as they used to or even better. It's all on where you look for them.

Here's an example of what I'm using as a guideline when buying knives and swords:
http://www.sword-manufacturers-guide.com/sword-steels.html

So I am making damn sure it's a fully functional weapon that wont break from first contact. And I am staying away from show pieces that just sits there and be all useless.

Serapth
02-20-2011, 10:46 AM
I two have a knife fetish, but mines a functional one, combined with my love of cooking.

My most recent acquisition is a Calphalon Katana Series Santoku knife. The vast majority of my cutting work is with Santoku's lately, as those divots in the blade make a huge difference.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31M4D3GYNBL._SS500_.jpg

The rest of my knives are Henckel single forge stainless knives ( they don't sell anymore ). Not the greatest steel, but a damned sexy knife.

Badger
02-20-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm also going to look into getting the following:

http://kultofathena.com/images%5CSH2432_l.jpg

So I am making damn sure it's a fully functional weapon that wont break from first contact. And I am staying away from show pieces that just sits there and be all useless.

I've read that most "real" katanas don't have that groove running near the back of the blade. I say real in quotations as I'm referring to genuine blades, the type with heritage. Modern blades put that groove in to reduce weight for practice cutting or kata such as in Iaido.

If I were to buy a katana to cut with, I would go with a supplier who specialises in those particular arts such as UK based nine circles (http://www.ninecircles.co.uk/product_details.asp?ProdID=351&CatID=22), who also custom build beautiful katanas to order.

If I were to be able to afford a show piece however, and one day I hope I can, it would have to be a 17th century piece from nihonto such as this (http://www.nihonto.com/shinkaidaisho.html). :eek:

CES
02-20-2011, 12:59 PM

You sneaky, lucky bastard.

To other people: If you want a sword with great cutting potential, don't fuck around with japanese swords (by the time they get practical-grade good they're far too expensive) or machetes (a tool first and foremost, swinging it like a sword absolutely does not work). I say this having owned both in the past.

The best sword I have is a pre-ban (fuck you, UK politicians for deciding a 1.5m long sabre is a threat to the public) replica carbon steel 1790 British Calvery pattern sword. It's a properly hefty beast that can go through wood and light metal. As far as proper, practical knives go, I have several CRKT blades. Light, comfortable and they'll cut through pretty much whatever you need to.

VerseD
02-20-2011, 01:19 PM
There's a local company in Oregon called Gerber that make excellent knives and hatchets. One of the headmen was also the father of a friend, and he would bring bags of weapons to Boy Scout meetings. From Gerber trade shows I got two nice ones that I still use whenever I go camping.

I prefer the Gerber Multi-tool to the old Leatherman:

http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/gerber/images/01638.jpg

And this Applegate is a perfect fold-out knife, based on the design by close-quarter combat expert Rex Applegate.

http://www.maxblade.it/images/gerber_applegate_fairbairn_G05785.jpg

But, if there were zombies around, I would prefer something with a longer reach. There's no need to get into biting range, and even getting some blood and gore on you could be infectious. Most effective would be a horseman's pick or poleaxe or something that makes it easy to destroy the brain, but that also might get stuck. A blunt weapon would be best, but not too heavy. This is an endurance match.

OldeWolf
02-20-2011, 01:45 PM
If I were to be able to afford a show piece however, and one day I hope I can, it would have to be a 17th century piece from nihonto such as this (http://www.nihonto.com/shinkaidaisho.html). :eek:

$95,000 bloody dollars? I could have like a dozen current master pieces for that price. :p

But it's good to see high class master pieces from so many centuries ago still looking solid and well taken care of.

Narradisall
02-21-2011, 07:34 AM
Oh but they still do make them as they used to or even better. It's all on where you look for them.

Here's an example of what I'm using as a guideline when buying knives and swords:
http://www.sword-manufacturers-guide.com/sword-steels.html

Do you know of any other good sites? I know you can still get good blades, but usually anything that isn't crap and breaks is far too expensive.

Narradisall
02-21-2011, 07:37 AM
You sneaky, lucky bastard.

In 2000, my 16 year old self walked through JFK airport with 3 Katarna's strapped to my back.

Didn't raise a eyebrow even when I put them in the overhead compartment in the plane (yes, I took them on has hand luggage).

I figure the Americans thought if I kicked off they'd just shoot me. ;)

Worryingly, thinking about it, I just moved and I don't recall where I left my blades...

OldeWolf
02-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Do you know of any other good sites? I know you can still get good blades, but usually anything that isn't crap and breaks is far too expensive.

On the side of the website is a list of Manufacturer info:
http://www.sword-manufacturers-guide.com/index.html

The website that I used heavily to guide my in my sword buying adventure, very helpful:
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/

List of "highly recommended" websites for swords and other weapons:
www.armsofvalour.com
www.kultofathena.com
www.traditionalarcherybows.com
www.coldsteel.com
www.imperialweapons.com/category/G2MST.html
And many more

Hope that helps.

I also use the sword reviewing forum:
http://forum.sword-buyers-guide.com/viewforum.php?f=6

Jason
02-21-2011, 02:37 PM
I usually buy knives from these guys (http://www.knifeworks.com/), usually Spyderco (http://www.knifeworks.com/spydercoknives-1.aspx) or Benchmade (http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmadeknives.aspx).

OldeWolf
02-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Working on getting the Book of Eli sword custom made via http://traditionalarcherybows.com/handmade_sword_of_eli_influenced_by_book_of_eli_p8 6.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ghostsoldier/THE%20BOOK%20OF%20ELI/V21.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ghostsoldier/THE%20BOOK%20OF%20ELI/EliMachetefinal.jpg

BrassGecko
02-23-2011, 12:35 PM
I actually vaguely know a blacksmith up in Michigan who does pretty good work. Just putting his link out here because he's a cool guy and, by everything I saw, knows his stuff very well.

http://www.ironjohnlogan.com/home.htm

OldeWolf
02-23-2011, 12:49 PM
I actually vaguely know a blacksmith up in Michigan who does pretty good work. Just putting his link out here because he's a cool guy and, by everything I saw, knows his stuff very well.

http://www.ironjohnlogan.com/home.htm

Looks like a cool guy but his work is pricey.

I'm going to be using this blacksmith company for my Book of Eli sword (traditionalarcherybows.com/handmade_sword_of_eli_influenced_by_book_of_eli_p8 6.html) along with some custom specifications. Total price will be about $249 I think. We're still deciding on details at the moment.

txshurricane
02-23-2011, 01:18 PM
I have the following:

Kershaw Echo

http://www.kershawknives.com/images/products/kershaw/1070c_large.png

W.R. Case Geniune Stag Texas Toothpick

http://www.wrcase.com/knives/images/5532.jpg

Buck Special

I have one knife.
(Buck Special)
Eh, mine doesn't. Which is why I bought the Kershaw.

...and a USMC Iwo Jima KA-BAR clone

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/txshurricane/kabarclone.jpg

Narradisall
02-24-2011, 06:12 AM
Thanks Oldewolf for the info.

I'll check it out later.

Bad Buddha
02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
I have the following:

Kershaw Echo

http://www.kershawknives.com/images/products/kershaw/1070c_large.png

Wow! Lucky guy!

Kershaw makes amazing quality knives. I remember back in the day when old man Kershaw was making each knife by hand.

txshurricane
02-24-2011, 02:55 PM
It was only $50 at Bass Pro Shop. I like it because it's comfy to hold edge-up and edge-down, which is handy for deer skinning.

RandoM51
02-27-2011, 08:30 PM
I like SOG folders. I've had a SOG Tomcat 1.0 for awhile now, it is a real workhorse. Might think about getting a 3.0 (http://sogknives.com/store/S95.html) once the money starts rolling in again.

txshurricane
04-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Forgot to post the one I got for Christmas...

Knives of Alaska Coho filet knife

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/images/userfiles/image/products/20101023212034_6_51_coho.jpg

ShivaX
04-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Everytime I see this thread I instantly think of:
ofMnvrMRpjM

OldeWolf
04-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Holy hell...that video made me happy.

Vermillion
04-21-2011, 03:10 PM
These are my two favorites knives. I literaly have about 5 Gerber tools spread around the house, but they are pretty standard fare:

Ka-Bar Becker TacTool (it's a hefty son of a gun)
https://www.kabar.com/images/BK3_large.jpg

Ka-Bar Bobact Folding Serrated
https://www.kabar.com/images/4081_large.jpg

My next one will probably be a variant on this...
https://www.kabar.com/images/1477FG_large.jpg

OldeWolf
07-22-2011, 04:16 PM
I just ordered the following knives this week and just got it today:

Cold Steel OSS, Kraton Handle (Secure-Ex Sheath) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U3S0BS)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/WeirdPoe/IMAG0162.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/WeirdPoe/IMAG0163.jpg

And

Cold Steel Rajah II Grivory Handle (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CXHSE0)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/WeirdPoe/IMAG0166.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/WeirdPoe/IMAG0164.jpg

The whole damn thing is bloody sharp!

The OSS is a double edged blade knife (dagger?) and wicked looking in my hand while the Rajah II is a little plain looking until I accidentally touched my thumb lightly at the edge of the blade and didn't even feel the cut. Warning, picture a little bloodied. Nothing you wont see from a rare steak over a BBQ grill.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/WeirdPoe/IMAG0161.jpg

Overall, I'm a happy camper! Cold Steel really does quality work, even tho it's made in Taiwan.

Off to go try it on something and hope I don't stab myself in the process. :p

OldeWolf
07-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Here's my whole knife collection so far:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/WeirdPoe/IMAG0167.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/WeirdPoe/IMAG0168.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/WeirdPoe/IMAG0169.jpg

Narradisall
07-23-2011, 08:18 AM
No Damascus steal?

OldeWolf
07-23-2011, 09:38 AM
No Damascus steal?

Naw, no Damascus Steel. They're weaker than modern steels out there due to impurities and all that. But they are nice to look at!

Narradisall
07-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Naw, no Damascus Steel. They're weaker than modern steels out there due to impurities and all that. But they are nice to look at!

They're purty!

Anyone can stab a bitch, but with Damascus steal, you do it...with style...