PDA

View Full Version : Kids and Games (or The Littlest Fanboy)

Raen
11-28-2008, 04:41 PM
So today I saw Quantum of Solace with my friend. I enjoyed the movie, but not the kids sitting behind me. Directly behind us were four kids ranging between 4 and 9 (at an estimate) with a dad who was very poorly controlling them. Now while this was annoying as hell, it's not really what I wanted to talk about. Before the movie started there were adverts for CoD:WaW and Resistance 2. While I don't think CoD is a particularly violent game, it's still rated 15 in the UK. This kid was super excited about getting CoD soon. Is it just me, or is it just wrong for an 8/9 year old to be playing a 15 rated game? I'm not a parent, but I wouldn't buy my similarly aged nephew a 15 rated game or movie. During the Resistance trailer he also seemed to think it was a Halo game, and was deeply annoyed to find out that it wasn't available for his 360 (which he very loudly and proudly talked about owning).

So is it just me? Is a 8/9 year old kid playing CoD perfectly fine? Am I just being a grumpy gamer? And is it slightly weird to have a fanboy that young?

Karmakin
11-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Honestly? There's nothing worse in a game than in the movie they were seeing

Raen
11-28-2008, 05:04 PM

True. But one of these kids looked to be only slightly over toddler age. James Bond doesn't really seem a good film for a kid of that age. I mean obviously it's up to individual parents to make the call on what their kid sees, but still...

biosc1
11-28-2008, 05:48 PM
You see, you just don't understand. This parent is setting up his children for their eventual downfall, for which he can then turn around and blame movies and video games for ;)

Purple Santa
11-28-2008, 05:50 PM
True. But one of these kids looked to be only slightly over toddler age. James Bond doesn't really seem a good film for a kid of that age. I mean obviously it's up to individual parents to make the call on what their kid sees, but still...

You are correct. A child that young shouldn't be exposed to either a game like CoD or a movie like QoS. Just go and find some basic developmental theories online. It will explain why at such an age you don't want a child exposed to those images/story line etc.

Gorvi
11-28-2008, 05:52 PM
And they shouldn't have been exposed to either at that age. That's just shitty parenting right there.

biosc1
11-28-2008, 05:59 PM
My girlfriend, whose a teacher, has opened my eyes to the amazing amount of people who shouldn't be parents...I actually feel embarrassed listening to what they say to my girlfriend in regards to their children...

It all comes down to "If it can be done, we'll do it, even if it isn't age appropriate. You can't deny my child!".

Lance Uppercut
11-28-2008, 06:13 PM
You are correct. A child that young shouldn't be exposed to either a game like CoD or a movie like QoS. Just go and find some basic developmental theories online. It will explain why at such an age you don't want a child exposed to those images/story line etc.

I grew up watching horror and R-rated 80s action films (Robocop and The Terminator were two of my favorites from back then) and old Japanese samurai movies, and I came out ok. As long as you teach your kids the difference between real life and make-believe, I don't see anything wrong with letting them play these games or watch these movies (after a certain age, where they are able to understand the difference).

Of course, I don't think I'd bring a kid to the movies like that unless they can show that they can shut the fuck up. Noisy brats in the theater are the worst.

biosc1
11-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Of course, I don't think I'd bring a kid to the movies like that unless they can show that they can shut the fuck up. Noisy brats in the theater are the worst.

Well...I think the fact that they were/are brat kids shows that we have little faith in the ability of the parents to bring them up like our parents brought us up.

opsin
11-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Sigh. Like the person who spotted some parent with a very young child at the remake of Halloween. What the fuck!?

I am at times almost tempted to have a kid just to show people how they should be brought up, but fortunately I know a number of people who've had kids now who are, or are going to be good parents. When I was ten I used to be able to go cycling twenty some miles from home with a friend, and then leave a bike at the end of this road knowing it wouldn't be stolen or anything.

I wouldn't even know where to start bringing up a child with things as they are now. Even kids TV doesn't make any fucking sense anymore! Cartoons are just a random mishmash of epilepsy triggers and LSD induced dreams, and TV presented by real people for kids now is so anadine I wouldn't wish it on a rat. The fact that people like Johnny Ball (kind of the British, only far more amusing and brimming with sciencitude, Uncle Rogers) wouldn't be allowed to present something, lest they look like a creepy uncle... What the fuck have we let happen?

Widgetcraft
11-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Meh, I'm of the opinion that violent/sexual content has no tangible effect on a child's development, or at least not a prominently negative one. That said, the kids shouldn't have been taken to a James Bond movie simply because they are probably going to be bored to tears. I couldn't get into Bond until I was a teenager.

LongStepMantis
11-28-2008, 09:34 PM
It depends on the child, and their age. As a kid, I loved watching gory horror movies and guns-a-blazing action flicks. But I was a nerdy kid, and took to adult themes pretty easily and early.

I wouldn't say it's ok for everyone, especially at very early ages. This thanksgiving my brother-in-law was playing CoD4 and my nieces (5 and 7) came and started watching him. I don't care if they were somehow ok with it, there's nothing quite as unsettling as hearing a 5 year old say "Shoot that guy in the head!"...while missing her front teeth.

It was sort of cute...but incredibly disturbing. Her parents thought it was hilarious.

Raen
11-29-2008, 05:32 AM
It was sort of cute...but incredibly disturbing. Her parents thought it was hilarious.

I think that's what I didn't like that much, it was really weird to have this little kid getting so into the trailers for WaW and Resistance 2. That and the fact they really were fucking brats.

nnanji
11-29-2008, 09:18 AM
I am at times almost tempted to have a kid just to show people how they should be brought up, but fortunately I know a number of people who've had kids now who are, or are going to be good parents. When I was ten I used to be able to go cycling twenty some miles from home with a friend, and then leave a bike at the end of this road knowing it wouldn't be stolen or anything.

I wouldn't even know where to start bringing up a child with things as they are now. Even kids TV doesn't make any fucking sense anymore! Cartoons are just a random mishmash of epilepsy triggers and LSD induced dreams, and TV presented by real people for kids now is so anadine I wouldn't wish it on a rat. The fact that people like Johnny Ball (kind of the British, only far more amusing and brimming with sciencitude, Uncle Rogers) wouldn't be allowed to present something, lest they look like a creepy uncle... What the fuck have we let happen?

When were you born, the 1920s? I'm 33, and if I had left my childhood bike lying around, all I would have found when I got back is a thank you note. And our cartoons weren't any better. I remember my mom saying the same things you said about cartoons, and going back and watching them I'd probably be forced to agree.

Now I personally wouldn't expose my kids to those games/movies, but when you saaw young children in a Bond movie, you should have known what kind of family they were. There was always a kid when I was growing up who had some toy/game that they had no business having. They peddled that shit for street cred! Well, playground cred, at least. If they didn't get it from their parents, they got it from an older brother. I think the difference today is that parents just feel overwhelmed with the saturation of media into our environment and don't know how to guard against it all, so they just give up.

KingGorilla
11-29-2008, 07:55 PM
I was playing Wolf 3D, Doom, Mortal Kombat, when I was a kid. But then again, I had PARENTS, not adults who lived with me and bought me shit. Parents explain the difference between fantasy and reality, and if the kid has issues distinguishing the two, put a halt to any problems.

I did more messed up and dumb shit because of Ghostbusters and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles(cracked my brother's head open with a "sword"[stick]).