PDA

View Full Version : I Just Got Rick Rolled...

danielOut
11-27-2008, 11:05 AM
...kinda. By the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Now that was weird, though I don't think it counts as a real rickroll. There was no surprise in it. If it did, it certainly would qualify as the largest.

Roaddawg
11-27-2008, 11:07 AM
it wasn't barry manilow singing the rick roll song was it?

Typical Michael
11-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Yeah I noticed that. It was pretty awkward.

Superman's Dead
11-27-2008, 12:28 PM
I bet an intern made an off-hand joke that got terribly out of hand.

Telefrog
11-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Yeah. I laughed. Epic Rickroll was epic.

Everyone vs Dinosaurs
11-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Was that... intentional?

It was incredibly random, if so.

danielOut
11-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Yeah... yeah, i think they wanted it to be a Rickroll. but... but... they fucked it up. I think. I'm still confused.

VerseD
11-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Well at least Rick Astley broke up the monotony of lip-syncing boy bands. Gotta give him props for that.

jpc_theoneandonly
11-27-2008, 03:24 PM
I tried to rick roll someone and it didn't work out. Anyone have a link that actually works?

Roaddawg
11-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Yu_moia-oVI

Roaddawg
11-27-2008, 03:53 PM
i found the video of Cartoon Network Rickroll'ing the Macy's day parade (with commentary track from the person who recorded it)

eCgNm5ysCYs

Generation ABXY
11-27-2008, 03:53 PM
I can easily imagine a day in the near future when every music-playing device - from the iPod to video game consoles - comes pre-loaded with this song as a bit of surprise, sample music.

That'll be the day I go off-grid.

Roaddawg
11-27-2008, 03:56 PM
I can easily imagine a day in the near future when every music-playing device - from the iPod to video game consoles - comes pre-loaded with this song as a bit of surprise, sample music.

That'll be the day I go off-grid.

dammit do not give anyone any ideas..

Superman's Dead
11-27-2008, 04:06 PM
They played a remix of it at a club I went two the second time I ever went out to one.

Everyone asked me why I was laughing so hard.

Stmfuller
11-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Well at least Rick Astley broke up the monotony of lip-syncing boy bands. Gotta give him props for that.
yeah, there was a ton of wtf, no-name tennie booper bands today weren't there?
Although, my daughter did like the sesame street float.

ps wtf is wrong with the nfl? Why exactly are the halftime shows during the thanksgiving games all have bands that only a 12 year old girl would like.

TheEpicOfTyler
11-27-2008, 05:08 PM
I went into a local diner with a friend recently and Rick Astley was on the radio. I cursed under my breath, and to my utter disbelief, he had no idea what a Rick Roll was.

Roaddawg
11-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I went into a local diner with a friend recently and Rick Astley was on the radio. I cursed under my breath, and to my utter disbelief, he had no idea what a Rick Roll was.

the less they know, the better:D

Inspector Fowler
11-27-2008, 05:29 PM

You do realize that probably 90% of the country doesn't know what a Rick Roll is? 90% seems like a low number to me. If we could survey people - not an online survey - I bet that less than 10% of the US would know.

Rogue_hunter
11-27-2008, 11:20 PM
yeah, there was a ton of wtf, no-name tennie booper bands today weren't there?
Although, my daughter did like the sesame street float.

ps wtf is wrong with the nfl? Why exactly are the halftime shows during the thanksgiving games all have bands that only a 12 year old girl would like.

Yeah, sorta killed me that both games were utter blowouts (at least, the Cowboys game had been by the time we turned), and they use bands to appeal to the tweens. My cousins' kids were all over the Jonas Brothers, the Dora float and Miley Cyrus, whereas me, my uncles, my male cousin and my dad were all over the Rockettes. Though, NBC screwed up the HD feed with the wireless camera they were using to go up and down the line, but when it worked, there were some GREAT shots. :cool:

boratika
11-28-2008, 04:23 AM
Just in case people didn't hear about the other recent epic-Rickroll (http://news.yahoo.com/s/launch/20081107/en_launch/61840960). (npte: link does not lead to a rickroll)

But who knows where this link (http://is.gd/9md8) leads to.

Variable Gear
11-28-2008, 04:47 AM
So did I (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0). :(

jacob.armitage
11-28-2008, 05:03 AM
i went to quite a bit of effort to rick roll a friend of mine while he was watching dexter (editing the ending of one of the new episodes of season 3) and he watched it our store (we own a video game/comic book store with a big gaming section & tv in the back) with some customers after closing. he didn't get it, he had no idea what a "rick roll" was. everyone else found it hilarious.

i even used the chrono trigger "robo" rick roll video.

NoName
11-28-2008, 06:41 AM
I thought the parade getting Rick Rolled was pretty humorous. Then I had to explain what Rick Rolling was to the rest of my family...

Stmfuller
11-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Yeah, sorta killed me that both games were utter blowouts (at least, the Cowboys game had been by the time we turned), and they use bands to appeal to the tweens. My cousins' kids were all over the Jonas Brothers, the Dora float and Miley Cyrus, whereas me, my uncles, my male cousin and my dad were all over the Rockettes. Though, NBC screwed up the HD feed with the wireless camera they were using to go up and down the line, but when it worked, there were some GREAT shots. :cool:
Oh good, I thought the crappy messups they were getting off that camera were just me/comcast.
I have such good memories of the Macy's parade, it's nice to sit down and watch it. Even my 3 yr old daughter enjoyed it for the most part.

I watched all of the lions game (I only get to see 3-4/year as they're terrible and only really have one national game/year) and that one was over by the end of the first quarter. What I found hilarious was the views they were showing were basically trying to hide the fact that 3/4 of the people had packed up and gone home by the 3rd quarter.
Sadly, the Cowboy game was equally as bad, but only the in the opposite direction. Neither the Lions nor the Seahawks looked competitive in any way, shape, or form and the Titans/Cowboys just walked all over them.
Kind of a shitty day for national games if you ask me.

Crowe
11-28-2008, 08:06 AM
i went to quite a bit of effort to rick roll a friend of mine while he was watching dexter (editing the ending of one of the new episodes of season 3) and he watched it our store (we own a video game/comic book store with a big gaming section & tv in the back) with some customers after closing. he didn't get it, he had no idea what a "rick roll" was. everyone else found it hilarious.

i even used the chrono trigger "robo" rick roll video.

That's awesome. It's a real pity he had no idea what it was.

roboninja
11-28-2008, 08:55 AM
the less they know, the better:D

Why do you have two accounts? You are also RadioGuy8-something.

Sorry for the derail, but it is a Macy's Day Rickroll thread.

MagGnome
11-28-2008, 07:52 PM
I still don't understand the whole Rickroll thing. I guess I sort of get it, but I have no idea how it became a meme. I guess all memes are like that though.

I usually find it funny, except when people link to that bullshit loop that totally fucks up your browser.

Aggort
11-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Alright, so I am going to give the embarrassing facts. Each year for the past 5 I have watched the Macy's parade with my niece, nephew, Sister and Brother-In-Law. I always try to hear who will be on, and this year we heard Rick Astly... I kinda just stared at my girlfriend and we just laughed and said. "Holy Fuck, he's going to do a live Rick Roll!" Well the parade kept going and going, no Rick. Then the Cartoon Network float rolled up. My family was already puzzled by what a Rick Roll was, and when the float started my sister and brother-in-law both said, "Ah, that's disappointing, this is the same thing they did last year." I chimed in "Yea, I remember them singing this exact same..." But I was cut off, right in the middle of the song it was Rick Astly booming through my TV. "Oh no they didn't!" I couldn't believe, knowing he was going to be in the parade, that my girlfriend and I didn't catch that sooner. At the end of the performance the one puppet yells "I Love Rick Rolling!" and then even the commentator talked about a Macy's Rick Roll! Like you guys, it was kick ass for all the nerds and internet folk out there, but for the average family, it was a pain int he ass to explain it to them! Still it was the...

BEST FUCKING THANKSGIVING / PARADE EVER!

Apparently, next year they were already going after Tay Zonday ;)

TheHulk
11-29-2008, 08:13 PM
I thought the same thing too. Saying "Wow, we just got Rick-rolled!" in front of your whole family on Thanksgiving gets you some odd looks to say the least.