PDA

View Full Version : Do not want.

TheEpicOfTyler
11-26-2008, 04:12 PM
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/11/081124-giant-squid-magnapinna.html?source=rss

D:

The ocean is a horrible place.

Nura
11-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Nice, gotta love the "secrets" of the depths!

fitbabits
11-26-2008, 04:18 PM
So those aliens that have doubtless visited Earth from time to time? They're hiding out in the motherfucking oceans... :(

I'm-a-scared.

Superman's Dead
11-26-2008, 04:28 PM
That was horrifying. We need Will Smith to punch it in the face and tell it that THAT'S what he's talkin' 'bout.

Blue
11-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Peace? No peace.

Grifter
11-26-2008, 04:32 PM
So those aliens that have doubtless visited Earth from time to time? They're hiding out in the motherfucking oceans... :(

I'm-a-scared.

Or they're raping and breeding with the sea life...I'd-a-be-a-scared to.

n3rdXcore
11-26-2008, 04:33 PM
The Elder Things have evolved! :eek:

Re3x
11-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Yea.. thats freaky.

rahsoul
11-26-2008, 04:52 PM
That was horrifying. We need Will Smith to punch it in the face and tell it that THAT'S what he's talkin' 'bout.

Hehe. The aliens from Independence Day were the first thing to pop into my mind when I saw it.

biosc1
11-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Courtesy of Shell Oil

Don't you see...this is what the evil oil companies are capable of releasing in our oceans...this is a veiled threat...

Go...Go now and buy fuel!

Esquilax1138
11-26-2008, 04:58 PM
I think it might be one of the baby monsters from the Cloverfield movie, wait till they wake up the big one!

MagGnome
11-26-2008, 05:25 PM
I'd love to see these things swarm and attack the drilling site.

*whistles innocently*

Codicier
11-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Hail Cthulhu and all his spawn!

I'd like to take this moment to remind our new ancient overlords that I have many uses; toiling deep in their undersea lairs to serve them, for instance.

DangerousDaze
11-26-2008, 05:40 PM
I, for one, welcome our new... FOR GOD'S SAKE KILL IT WITH UNDERWATER FIRE!

Xerxes
11-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Shouldn't we kill it and then go study the last of it's kind.

Codicier
11-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Shouldn't we kill it and then go study the last of it's kind.

Every time we do that, it ends up escaping and carving a swath of death and destruction. (Or so movies have taught me)

It's not worth the paperwork.

Scaryfaced
11-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Ten bucks says this ends up on a Japanese sushi menu within 5 years.
________
New mexico medical marijuana dispensary (http://newmexico.dispensaries.org/)

Xerxes
11-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Every time we do that, it ends up escaping and carving a swath of death and destruction. (Or so movies have taught me)

It's not worth the paperwork.

But history taught me that we Americans, believe in murdering first, questions never.

Generation ABXY
11-26-2008, 06:12 PM
That was awesome! Why are we still worried about space? There's so much stuff still waiting to be discovered on our own little rock.

I'd love to see these things swarm and attack the drilling site.

*whistles innocently*

I sure hope that has a qualifier, like "after we develop an alternative fuel, lest oil prices sky rocket." :p

Smoof
11-26-2008, 06:34 PM
That was really, really, really cool.

Cit Phil Cit
11-26-2008, 06:55 PM
I am very fond of of cephalapods and their ilk. If I ever saw that whilst swimming in the ocean I would be terrified - after I changed my shorts it would still be cool.

ClannerDelta
11-26-2008, 07:00 PM
But history taught me that we Americans, believe in murdering first, questions never.

It doesn't own any land though. Bet it would rock as a card dealer with all those arms though.

Kelegacy
11-26-2008, 07:11 PM
The video is a year old isn't it--said 2007 on the tape at the bottom. It might already be too late for mankind.

Nura
11-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Ten bucks says this ends up on a Japanese sushi menu within 5 years.

Ough, that reminded me of this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NE3NPytch4) :(

and looking at the related videos, i actully had this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTUPHExilFk)served when i was in China, yuck :/

Everyone vs Dinosaurs
11-26-2008, 07:30 PM
I welcome them.

MagGnome
11-26-2008, 08:00 PM
That was awesome! Why are we still worried about space? There's so much stuff still waiting to be discovered on our own little rock.

Why travel into space when we haven't finished exploiting all life on this planet yet? :p

I sure hope that has a qualifier, like "after we develop an alternative fuel, lest oil prices sky rocket." :p

I don't have a car, so why would I care?

Yes, yes, I know. I'm joking. :p

MagGnome
11-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Ough, that reminded me of this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NE3NPytch4) :(

and looking at the related videos, i actully had this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTUPHExilFk)served when i was in China, yuck :/

Those videos are absolutely disgusting. People fucking suck. :mad:

J Arcane
11-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Those videos are absolutely disgusting. People fucking suck. :mad:
Do you have any idea how many animals consume live prey? Why should they get all the fun?

KingGorilla
11-26-2008, 08:35 PM
He who controls the Spice controls the universe

Generation ABXY
11-26-2008, 08:41 PM
He who controls the Spice controls the universe

Okay, what in that video at all reminded you of Dune? :confused:

J Arcane
11-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Navigators baby.

MagGnome
11-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Do you have any idea how many animals consume live prey? Why should they get all the fun?

A lot of animals also eat their own shit. That doesn't mean that I would condone people eating their own shit.

Also, animals eat for survival. Those people were clearly doing that for pleasure, and it's sick.

Scaryfaced
11-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Some religious sects believe in consuming their own waste.
________
Medical Marijuana (http://www.youtube.com/dispensaries)

J Arcane
11-26-2008, 08:51 PM
A lot of animals also eat their own shit. That doesn't mean that I would condone people eating their own shit.

Also, animals eat for survival. Those people were clearly doing that for pleasure, and it's sick.
Our very survival regularly depends on the deaths of other species. That's life. There's not a thing alive that doesn't owe it's continued existence to some other poor bastard who died.

At least these people can actually confront the reality of their situation, instead of always endeavoring to keep the burden of life out of sight and out of mind.

Codicier
11-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Stop talking about your petty human morality concerns and worship Cthulhu damn it.

KingGorilla
11-26-2008, 10:31 PM

It was either a Dune or Half-Life 2 joke.

Generation ABXY
11-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Navigators baby.

I thought it was that, but I don't much remember the Navigators looking like that either. Mind you, I don't think I've gotten past the first 15 minutes of the 1980's version (I prefer the one from 2000), so it may in fact be there...

If I sit through it and it isn't there, we'll have words. :p

Of course, I'm jumping to the conclusion that you're talking about the movies; you could be referencing the books, which I haven't read in quite a few years.

Ancalagon
11-27-2008, 02:25 AM

I may not be a vegan, but I do think, if you are going to eat an animal, you ought to make sure it doesnt suffer when you do. Okay, I'm sure some will say squid are such simple creatures that they dont feel pain or something, but I'm sure those things have some kind of nervous system and react to pain. If I eat squid, I'd want to know it didnt suffer when it died.

Same thing with lobster - I cant for the life of me figure out why they need to boiled alive.

PanicBomb!
11-27-2008, 02:52 AM
The only time I approve of a squid having elbows, is if it's dropping a flying one off the top turn buckle onto Hulk Hogan.

I didn't make it to the end of the video, so maybe this qualifies.

Gwinny
11-27-2008, 02:56 AM
I'm not afraid of drowning, but I am afraid of swimming in large bodies of water when I consider what could be hanging around a mile or two below my unsuspecting feet. In my most paranoid phobic imaginings, however, I never came up with elbowed squid. The swimming bits of Shadow of the Colossus freaked me the hell out, and it's because who knows what could be down there? Things like this!

Karak
11-27-2008, 03:28 AM
I fear that thing.
End of line

Xerxes
11-27-2008, 03:31 AM
I'm not afraid of drowning, but I am afraid of swimming in large bodies of water when I consider what could be hanging around a mile or two below my unsuspecting feet. In my most paranoid phobic imaginings, however, I never came up with elbowed squid. The swimming bits of Shadow of the Colossus freaked me the hell out, and it's because who knows what could be down there? Things like this!

The deeps of the ocean is freaky. I was watching Superman the animated series. And the end of the first Metallo episodes he sinks to the bottom of the ocean and has to walk back to land. I think even as an invincible robot, being somewhere that you can't see, with all the crazy stuff down there would make me end my robot life.

Karak
11-27-2008, 03:35 AM
The deeps of the ocean is freaky. I was watching Superman the animated series. And the end of the first Metallo episodes he sinks to the bottom of the ocean and has to walk back to land. I think even as an invincible robot, being somewhere that you can't see, with all the crazy stuff down there would make me end my robot life.

Even more scary for me is Dark Dark lake water. Though I have had a couple frights in the woods to properly prepare me for this phobia. I don't know what it is about it. But jet black still lakes.
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK\
Nothing makes me want to spill rear water more.

Xerxes
11-27-2008, 04:31 AM
Hmmm... Maybe that's why we evolved from cells from the ocean. We trying to stay the fuck out of scary water. :)

J'onn J'onnz
11-27-2008, 04:38 AM

Well the next time we see him in does have amnesia, so he probably did happen upon that abomination and either the pure terror or a failed robot suicide caused his memory loss.

Xerxes
11-27-2008, 04:48 AM
Well the next time we see him in does have amnesia, so he probably did happen upon that abomination and either the pure terror or a failed robot suicide caused his memory loss.

I watched that episode right after and forgot about that. That explains it all.

Squidbot
11-27-2008, 07:19 AM
*Looks pleased*

jpublic
11-27-2008, 07:56 AM
Same thing with lobster - I cant for the life of me figure out why they need to boiled alive.

The moment the lobster dies, several chemical processes occur that quickly make the flesh inedible at best , and poisonous at worst. Basically, the digestive enzymes in the body start to work on the lobster's flesh turning it into something the consistency of marshmallow, and smells like the worst thing ever.

It's for a similar reason if you buy fresh whole fish, they'll come gutted, and if you ever go fishing the first thing you do with the damn things is gut them.

It's also the reason clams and mussels are steamed live. Dead shellfish = deadly food. Remember kids, if you eat clams/mussels, and any of them didn't open during the cooking processes, they died before cooking. Do not eat.

By boiling them alive (and they die almost immediately this way) those processes are prevented from occuring, although if you're clumsy and the lobster has a chance to freak out, it'll also ruin the meat.

If you want to be humane about it, put the lobster in the freezer for a few minutes (10-15). It'll force the lobster into a hibernation-like sleep, and then you can immediately drop it in the water.

Edit: Sometimes I wonder what *useful* info has been pushed out of my brain by all this weird shit I know.

Codicier
11-27-2008, 07:59 AM
The moment the lobster dies, several chemical processes occur that quickly make the flesh inedible at best , and poisonous at worst. Basically, the digestive enzymes in the body start to work on the lobster's flesh turning it into something the consistency of marshmallow, and smells like the worst thing ever.

It's for a similar reason if you buy fresh whole fish, they'll come gutted, and if you ever go fishing the first thing you do with the damn things is gut them.

It's also the reason clams and mussels are steamed live. Dead shellfish = deadly food. Remember kids, if you eat clams/mussels, and any of them didn't open during the cooking processes, they died before cooking. Do not eat.

By boiling them alive (and they die almost immediately this way) those processes are prevented from occuring, although if you're clumsy and the lobster has a chance to freak out, it'll also ruin the meat.

If you want to be humane about it, put the lobster in the freezer for a few minutes (10-15). It'll force the lobster into a hibernation-like sleep, and then you can immediately drop it in the water.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3348/themoreyouknow2ys3.th.jpg (http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=themoreyouknow2ys3.jpg)

alienmastermind
11-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Well, that tears it. Madness from the depths. No question about it. Cthulhu is coming back. And why is it that unknowable monsters from the ocean have to be shot with fleeting glimpses? Frigging Cloverfield, and now, the infant son of Cthulhu.

GunnyMo
11-27-2008, 08:34 AM
That was awesome! I love deep sea stuff like that.

nnanji
11-27-2008, 08:49 AM
Here's some underwater creatures that aren't terrifying, although they are bizarre.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/david_gallo_shows_underwater_astonishments.html

MagGnome
11-27-2008, 09:54 AM

That reminds me of Gothic 2, which had a great solution to the problem of players just swimming out farther and farther into the ocean. Instead of the silly invisible walls ala Fable 2 and other games, in Gothic 2 if you swam out far enough a cutscene took over showing you being attacked and eaten by a giant sea monster. It freaked me out every time.

roboninja
11-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Mmmmm, Flintstone-style calamari.

BTW, to those videos of people eating live squid? We invented fire, people. Cook your food!!

Generation ABXY
11-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Even more scary for me is Dark Dark lake water. Though I have had a couple frights in the woods to properly prepare me for this phobia. I don't know what it is about it. But jet black still lakes.
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK\

n9L9Fu15VZc

KingGorilla
11-28-2008, 01:01 AM

Edit: Sometimes I wonder what *useful* info has been pushed out of my brain by all this weird shit I know.

And here I thought that suffering is what made them delicious. It is why I only just wing a baby calf and pour salt onto the wound before going in for the kill when I want veal.

Scaryfaced
11-28-2008, 01:04 AM
I could really go for some veal all of a sudden.
________
DIGITAL VAPORIZERS (http://digitalvaporizers.info)

Disgustipated
11-28-2008, 01:26 AM

That disturbs me on a deep level... that they're eating it while it's still fucking alive. Jesus fuck.

The chicks were really hot though. God I'd let them eat me while I was alive.

Wolvie
11-28-2008, 01:34 AM
God damn it Dis, why did you have to quote that shit? That was beyond disgusting Nura, seriously, I don't think I'll eat for a week now.

Also, I am beating myself up for clicking those links. Why did I do it? WHY?!?!

Xerxes
11-28-2008, 04:38 AM
Wow... That's fucked up. If being stuck out of water not being able to breathe isn't bad enough, they then fry your body, while you are already dying. But now with a retard level of pain.

rvieira
11-28-2008, 07:18 AM
That squid reminds me of the alien queen that I have on my desk...

http://www.pbmexpress.nl/WebRoot/PBMExpress/SF/ImageSet/PBMExpress/ProductImages/SS2905.jpg

Note to our new master the squids with elbons: If you are going to eat me, kill me first, I will shit myself because of the fear and the pain and that will make your meal unpleasant.

Nura
11-28-2008, 07:24 AM
Imaging how i felt, we got to see them "cook" the fish before they served it to us, needless to say, i did not eat anything that meal :/

As for the squids, i'm pretty sure i'd throw up if i saw that in real life.

Wolvie
11-28-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't blame ya Nura, I probably would have got up and left after seeing that. But not before telling the manager I was never coming back and warning all my friends about that place.

Sirindu
11-28-2008, 04:21 PM
I am disappointed... plenty of movie references but NO ONE mentions The Abyss? The scenario around that video was all about it!

Aaaanyway, very cool...

Here's some underwater creatures that aren't terrifying, although they are bizarre.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/david_gallo_shows_underwater_astonishments.html

Also very cool. Octopussy are incredible.

AniAko
12-03-2008, 10:00 AM
<synopsis: Scared of large opaque bodies of water>

(Seriously rear water...)

There's a lake in the poconos in a state park called "Promised Land" near me. The lake was man made, meaning it was flooded by damming up the ends of it. In the middle of this lake there are a few pieces of wood sticking out of the water, although not very high, looking almost like a stationary log. While out on the row boat on a sunny afternoon I got a closer look at the source of this mysterious "lake wood" To my surprise they belonged to fully grown and still standing trees in the under the lake. I believe on the depth monitor it read b/w 30-40ft, some of the deepest parts of the lake, so you can understand these were pretty big trees.

The CREEPY part was that the lake water was your typical greenish in color, but not completely opaque, so you could see down the branch a few feet and see all the other branches of the tree, barren mind you, but still attached covered by the water. As you followed them down they disappeared into the darkness of the water. Looking at it, I had one of the creepiest feelings of my life as if some underwater creature could easily run up those branches, much like that of a leopard, and literally frighten me to piss from my eye sockets. So yeah, I'm not too fond of large bodies of water, only because it has a way to make you feel very vulnerable.

Xerxes
12-05-2008, 07:43 PM

There's a lake in the poconos in a state park called "Promised Land" near me. The lake was man made, meaning it was flooded by damming up the ends of it. In the middle of this lake there are a few pieces of wood sticking out of the water, although not very high, looking almost like a stationary log. While out on the row boat on a sunny afternoon I got a closer look at the source of this mysterious "lake wood" To my surprise they belonged to fully grown and still standing trees in the under the lake. I believe on the depth monitor it read b/w 30-40ft, some of the deepest parts of the lake, so you can understand these were pretty big trees.

The CREEPY part was that the lake water was your typical greenish in color, but not completely opaque, so you could see down the branch a few feet and see all the other branches of the tree, barren mind you, but still attached covered by the water. As you followed them down they disappeared into the darkness of the water. Looking at it, I had one of the creepiest feelings of my life as if some underwater creature could easily run up those branches, much like that of a leopard, and literally frighten me to piss from my eye sockets. So yeah, I'm not too fond of large bodies of water, only because it has a way to make you feel very vulnerable.

AniAko <synopsis: Scared of large opaque bodies of water>

Iron Past
12-05-2008, 07:58 PM

Man, I don't know if I'd call it a phobia or not, but one of my biggest fears (if not the biggest) is being in the ocean with a gigantic thing swimming around me. I feel so helpless just thinking about it...

Not that I'd survive in water deep enough for something that big to be alive, but still.

VerseD
12-05-2008, 09:41 PM
This is an ink blot test for nerds. I saw a strider from Half-Life 2.

Libuke
12-06-2008, 12:32 AM

Funny thing there in many Native American cultures one of the major spirts was an under water panther (I don't remember how to spell it in Athabaskan and my notes with it are nowhere near me at the moment). There is no real good link I could find on the web, the wiki page that came up was terrible wrong.

Generation ABXY
12-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Funny thing there in many Native American cultures one of the major spirts was an under water panther (I don't remember how to spell it in Athabaskan and my notes with it are nowhere near me at the moment). There is no real good link I could find on the web, the wiki page that came up was terrible wrong.

Mishipizhiw?

Squidbot
12-23-2008, 06:10 AM
KT1TSbarW1U&