PDA

View Full Version : Something that annoys me about Civ4.

J Arcane
11-25-2008, 10:19 PM
When you're attacking the computer player, the computer picks what unit gets to defend, and it ALWAYS picks whatever unit will most trump the one you're using, provided one is available.

But does it lend you the same courtesy ever? Fuck no.

Assholes.

BLeeP
11-25-2008, 10:20 PM
I thought popular opinion was that the computer always gets to cheat in Civ games? I mean, look at how quickly they get around to doing stuff compared to your progress. Of course, this also correlates to the difficulty level you are playing at, but basically the harder you make it, the more they get to cheat, as opposed to actually getting smarter.

J Arcane
11-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Sad thing is, this go round, I'm actually playing one of the lower difficulties that weights things slightly in your favor.

Unfortunately, it's a small map, and I expanded too slowly, and somehow wound up bing the little guy everyone loves picking on.

BLeeP
11-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Ah, fun stuff.

And, being Civ4, you won't know if you stand a chance of winning or not until 3 or 4 hours from now 8-P.

Vyzov
11-25-2008, 10:34 PM
When you're attacking the computer player, the computer picks what unit gets to defend, and it ALWAYS picks whatever unit will most trump the one you're using, provided one is available.

But does it lend you the same courtesy ever? Fuck no.

Assholes.

What difficulty are you playing on. I'm quite sure that the computer just uses whatever would be the strongest unit to defend, and you'll do the same thing provided you have a unit of the appropriate type available.

Unless there has been some patch that has drastically fucked up the game. Because Civ 4 is easily my most played game, I and have no idea what you are talking about. Screenshot or a description would be welcomed.

J Arcane
11-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Ah, fun stuff.

And, being Civ4, you won't know if you stand a chance of winning or not until 3 or 4 hours from now 8-P.

Actually, I just traded maps with the only Civ I'm on friendly enough terms with. I am FUCKED.

What difficulty are you playing on. I'm quite sure that the computer just uses whatever would be the strongest unit to defend, and you'll do the same thing provided you have a unit of the appropriate type available.

Unless there has been some patch that has drastically fucked up the game. Because Civ 4 is easily my most played game, I and have no idea what you are talking about. Screenshot or a description would be welcomed.

As an example, anytime I use a cavalry unit, if I attack a stack of enemy units or a city, and there's anything in the stack with a bonus against mounted units, it will always use that unit to defend.

Whereas if the tables are turned, at best, it seems to be totally random what the computer picks for me to defend with against whatever he attacks with, and at worst it will again pick the worst possible unit. I might have a city full of archers with defense bonus out the ass, but when that pikeman attacks it'll pick the one damn horse archer that's parked there.

Kojak
11-25-2008, 10:46 PM
at least there isnt such a bad case of spearmen beats tanks in civ 4, though I was under the impression that the strongest unit in a stack is picked to defend though its weird if its picking horse archers there for you unless they are considered a stronger unit. You might find that defense bonus does not factor in to it at all.

Vyzov
11-25-2008, 10:49 PM
As an example, anytime I use a cavalry unit, if I attack a stack of enemy units or a city, and there's anything in the stack with a bonus against mounted units, it will always use that unit to defend.

Whereas if the tables are turned, at best, it seems to be totally random what the computer picks for me to defend with against whatever he attacks with, and at worst it will again pick the worst possible unit. I might have a city full of archers with defense bonus out the ass, but when that pikeman attacks it'll pick the one damn horse archer that's parked there.

As far as I remember, it's SUPPOSED to work like that. But both ways. The strongest unit is supposed to be the one that defends. I can't remember if a non fortified unit will be attacked before any fortified units on that square.... but I don't think so. It may be entirely possible that there is actually a command to let you attack a specific unit on a stack or a promotion or something, but I honestly think it should just be strongest unit defends.

Telefrog
11-25-2008, 11:35 PM
As far as I remember, it's SUPPOSED to work like that. But both ways. The strongest unit is supposed to be the one that defends. I can't remember if a non fortified unit will be attacked before any fortified units on that square.... but I don't think so. It may be entirely possible that there is actually a command to let you attack a specific unit on a stack or a promotion or something, but I honestly think it should just be strongest unit defends.

Strongest unit defends in Civ 4. Of course, your idea of what constitutes the "strongest" against a particular enemy may differ from the program's. ;)

Keep in mind that the various promotions can alter which unit is deemed "strongest" in a defensive situation.

ShivaX
11-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Strongest unit defends in Civ 4. Of course, your idea of what constitutes the "strongest" against a particular enemy may differ from the program's. ;)

Keep in mind that the various promotions can alter which unit is deemed "strongest" in a defensive situation.

Also consider health. A nearly dead spearman doesn't have as high a win% as a full health swordsman, even against cavalry. Most of the promotions change hard numbers and the system will factor those in pretty well. Things like first strike and whatever also play a part.

In the end the unit with the best % chance of winning against another unit will be the one that goes up to bat. Just because you think another unit has a better chance doesn't mean it does. Consider that the computer actually figures out the % chance for a win with every possible factor.

If anything the computer might have an advantage because its probably capable of computing the % chance of a win involving stack vs stack, which is basically impossible for a human to do. The chances of winning often skyrocket after the first 3 or 4 units because defenders are worn down from previous attacks and whatnot. Which is probably why the computer always sends a stack of 30 fucking units to attack you (1/3 of which are artillery).