PDA

View Full Version : Not enough joy for my stick...

Serapth
01-05-2012, 04:57 PM
So I recently got a(nother) 360 stick for my laptop and recently set about playing Jamestown, which I enjoyed a great deal. It was the "couch" experience just on my PC instead of my console.

That leads me to question, what other games are there like Jamestown that make good use of a gamepad? Other games like Jamestown, or twin stick shooter like Geometry wars, those are the kind of suggestions I am looking for.

Help?

Mot Wakorb
01-05-2012, 05:33 PM
So I recently got a(nother) 360 stick for my laptop and recently set about playing Jamestown, which I enjoyed a great deal. It was the "couch" experience just on my PC instead of my console.

That leads me to question, what other games are there like Jamestown that make good use of a gamepad? Other games like Jamestown, or twin stick shooter like Geometry wars, those are the kind of suggestions I am looking for.

Help?

Renegade Ops. Fantastic use of a twin-stick on PC. Think of it as a new-age Jackal. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackal_(video_game))

J Arcane
01-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Get yourself some MAME and a copy of 19XX. And Space Megaforce for SNES.

As for two stick games, I'd recommend Alien Shooter Vengeance, but I dunno if it actually supports gamepad. It may well not.

If you want some classics though, hit up Smash TV and Black Widow in the aforementioned MAME.

Ghostbear
01-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Most PC games are controller friendly. The Arkham games come to mind.

Joshkdmw
01-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Most PC games are controller friendly. The Arkham games come to mind.

True dat. I play those on Onlive, they work just dandy.

mightbe
01-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Racettear was my favorite lately on PC with a 360 gamepad.

J Arcane
01-05-2012, 06:35 PM
I play most games that aren't FPS or mouse-based with a controller. Playing something like Batman or Tomb Raider with a keyboard just feels horridly wrong.

Vandabo
01-05-2012, 06:42 PM
I love the 360 controller for any kind of driving or flying game. Trackmania games are fun, and there are all sorts of racing games from arcade to hyper realistic. The Dirt series of rally games are a good balance.

Just Cause (2) is also really fun and utilizes it well, IIRC.

Wackman3000
01-05-2012, 07:26 PM
While I don't really have any game recommendations, I figured I would chime in and say that if there's a game you want to play that doesn't support a gamepad you can always use joy2key (http://sourceforge.net/projects/joy2key/) to create a profile of your keyboard actions.

I've used it for Alien Swarm and The Binding of Isaac with great success.

Joshkdmw
01-05-2012, 07:43 PM
While I don't really have any game recommendations, I figured I would chime in and say that if there's a game you want to play that doesn't support a gamepad you can always use joy2key (http://sourceforge.net/projects/joy2key/) to create a profile of your keyboard actions.

I've used it for Alien Swarm and The Binding of Isaac with great success.

I use a similar app on my Mac for Spiral Knights.

muddi900
01-05-2012, 09:54 PM
The Witcher 2. Not the first game, though.

Beat Hazard. Assassin's Creed. Super Meat Boy.

Vandabo
01-06-2012, 04:02 AM
Yeah, Beat Hazard is a great suggestion. I hook up my controller for that one fairly regularly.

Dorkandproudofit
01-07-2012, 09:35 PM
I came in here expecting a dick joke, and no one has done the job yet? Way to blow it, people! :mad:

Also, those that play PC games with anything other than a keyboard/mouse are heathens.

TheKeck
01-07-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm afraid you're mistaken dork. Just as shooters are clearly better with a mouse, many games are simply better with a controller.

J Arcane
01-07-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm afraid you're mistaken dork. Just as shooters are clearly better with a mouse, many games are simply better with a controller.
I agree. Tomb Raider Anniversary from a keyboard, for example, is an exercise in suffering.

But what's really fun? Trying to play fighting games with a keyboard.

TheKeck
01-07-2012, 09:56 PM

ha ha ha. I hate fighting games, but I still got a good kick out of that.

biosc1
01-08-2012, 12:47 AM
I agree. Tomb Raider Anniversary from a keyboard, for example, is an exercise in suffering.

You know, it actually worked with that robot fighting game
... 2097 something or other

Dorkandproudofit
01-08-2012, 01:29 AM

That just means I'm hardcore. :cool:

Grifter
01-08-2012, 01:58 AM
Gatling Gears is also a great shooter. If I had to pick my favorite 3 for the year it would be, in order, Renegade OPS, Gatling Gears and Beat Hazard. All are very fun with lots of beautiful destruction and Renegade and Gatling Gears supports Co-Op.

Mot Wakorb
01-10-2012, 03:14 PM
You know, it actually worked with that robot fighting game
... 2097 something or other

One Must Fall 2097.