PDA

View Full Version : Rock Band 2 Drum Set& cymbols

Shrinn
11-17-2008, 08:12 AM
So when they first came out, there were a lot of people reporting broken drum sets with their rock band 2. Now that it's been awhile, I'm not able to find much discussion on it. Everyone tells you to buy the ION set, since that's the new (and massively expensive) hot item.

How are the RB2 drums holding up? My RB1 set is quite beat up, even with the sock mod its losing sensitivity and registering cross talk between the drums a lot. (I assume just from use. I treat it well enough.)

Also, on top of that question, how does the cymbal expansion/addon thing work out? Do they have a good level of sensitivity? Do double hits register a lot like I fear they would?

How do you, the plastic drummers of CoG, feel about this upgrade, and can you recommend it to me?

UnderHero5
11-17-2008, 10:26 AM
I upgraded to the RB 2 drums, and they are decent.
They're a lot more sensitive than the RB1 drums, and I've had no problems with hits registering or cross talk.

I don't have the cymbols (are they even out yet?) but I might pick them up if I see them and they're not too much.

I wasn't about to spend $300 on some plastic drums, since I'm far from being a real drummer. The RB2 drums are a good enough improvement to where I don't feel ripped off for having bought them, but I would feel better about the purchase if my RB1 drums weren't still working fine.

hideouslywrinkled
11-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Shrinn, what's the sock mod?

Mike Kelehan
11-17-2008, 11:13 AM
My first set of RB2 drums had some crosstalk. I put in a support ticket and got new drums sent to me rather quickly, and they work extremely well. Like, 100%-on-expert-achievement well. They're quieter, bouncier, more sensitive, and don't move around on the floor at all (they redid the base). And the foot pedal is steel. As a small added bonus, it's wireless, which makes packing it up and stowing it away very simple.

Totally worth the price even if you've got RB1 drums.

Cyndair
11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
I purchased the RB2 drum set as well as the cymbal expansion (I got the 2 pack, thought 3 was overkill).

The drum pads are much improved over the RB1 set. They are extremely sensitive and the bounce feels very good. You won't really notice the velocity sensitive feature unless you are doing the beat trainer or freestyle but it's a nice added touch. I haven't had an issue with cross talk at all (ps3 drum kit).

The cymbals are extremely solid. They register hits extremely well and I haven't had a problem with double hits at all (I play on hard, not sure how they would respond on expert). It's really neat to have a raised cymbal as an option for the yellow note and those green note cymbal crashes at the end of drum fills feel so much more satisfying. I have two minor gripes: The cords that connect the cymbals to the drum kit can sometimes shake loose after a serious beating. It's just a matter of plugging them back in when it happens and it doesn't happen often (twice in the three weeks that I've had the new set) but if it does occur in the middle of a song it can mess you up. The other thing is that the cymbals can be a little loud compared to the drum pads.

Shrinn
11-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Shrinn, what's the sock mod?

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3807

Thanks for the opinions so far guys, it's looking good for me treating myself to a nice new plastic drum set for Christmas, but keep the opinions coming!

Elrik Murder
11-17-2008, 01:00 PM
http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3807

Thanks for the opinions so far guys, it's looking good for me treating myself to a nice new plastic drum set for Christmas, but keep the opinions coming!

Actually, a big thank you for opening this thread. I've been curious as well. Originally, I posted a question about impressions in the old EvAv thread (between the three sets: ION, RB2, & GH:WT), but was seemingly ignored. :(

Mdot
11-17-2008, 01:03 PM
I've been wondering about this as well. This weekend's session left my RB1 kit on it's last legs and I think I'll need to upgrade in the next week or so.

Kenzington4short
11-17-2008, 01:09 PM
My RB2 set had a little bit of crosstalk when I first got it, but that has since gone away. I definitely like them much better than the RB1 drums; quieter, more bounce to them, etc.

The pedal did end up breaking on me though. Funny thing is, the metal plate wouldn't have helped - it broke at the hinge. I've been using it for a couple of hours every week since it came out, playing on hard or expert. I switched it out with my RB1 kick pedal, which I had reinforced when people started complaining about their pedals breaking.

I don't think this is a wide spread thing though. I haven't seen anyone else mention their RB2 pedal breaking.

Shrinn
11-17-2008, 02:04 PM
I purchased the RB2 drum set as well as the cymbal expansion (I got the 2 pack, thought 3 was overkill).

The cymbals are extremely solid. They register hits extremely well and I haven't had a problem with double hits at all (I play on hard, not sure how they would respond on expert).

Is the madcatz set the only one? I've had bad experiences with madcatz in the past.

Actually, a big thank you for opening this thread. I've been curious as well. Originally, I posted a question about impressions in the old EvAv thread (between the three sets: ION, RB2, & GH:WT), but was seemingly ignored. :(

I don't like the look of the GH:WT set at all. It just looks a lot smaller and that makes it seem like it would be less epic. I haven't had any hands on time with it though.

I've been wondering about this as well. This weekend's session left my RB1 kit on it's last legs and I think I'll need to upgrade in the next week or so.

Glad to help while being helped :D

The pedal did end up breaking on me though. Funny thing is, the metal plate wouldn't have helped - it broke at the hinge. I've been using it for a couple of hours every week since it came out, playing on hard or expert. I switched it out with my RB1 kick pedal, which I had reinforced when people started complaining about their pedals breaking.

I don't think this is a wide spread thing though. I haven't seen anyone else mention their RB2 pedal breaking.

I did get to play with a rb2 drum set a little this friday, but it wasn't on any songs I knew, and it was also with the different hit timing of the bass on rock band 2 (hadn't really drummed on rb2 until then) and with all new songs so I couldn't make a fair comparison. My original RB1 pedal is broken in 2 places, it started cracking in half so we reinforced it with a thick aluminum cover. Then it broke at the hinge so that's duct taped together. In the end, the giant mess came out for the better. The RB2 pedal feels very flimsy compared to the aluminum monster that I'm using now.

Variable Gear
11-17-2008, 02:22 PM
I don't like the look of the GH:WT set at all. It just looks a lot smaller and that makes it seem like it would be less epic. I haven't had any hands on time with it though.
I own the GH:WT kit, and it's just not built for Rock Band (surprise, surprise). It's tough for me to get used to the positioning of the pads, especially the red and blue pads. The extra symbol that can't be used irks me as well. Sure, I could take it off when I play, but that looks more strange than leaving it on.

*Note: I've never used either of the Rock Band Drum Sets.

Mike Kelehan
11-17-2008, 02:29 PM
did get to play with a rb2 drum set a little this friday, but it wasn't on any songs I knew, and it was also with the different hit timing of the bass on rock band 2 (hadn't really drummed on rb2 until then) and with all new songs so I couldn't make a fair comparison. What's this about different timing on the bass drum? News to me.

johnperkins21
11-17-2008, 02:35 PM
I wasn't about to spend $300 on some plastic drums, since I'm far from being a real drummer. The RB2 drums are a good enough improvement to where I don't feel ripped off for having bought them, but I would feel better about the purchase if my RB1 drums weren't still working fine.

I wouldn't classify the ION Drum Rocker as "plastic drums." They are of a much higher build quality than any of the other drum sets for the games. The base is made of aluminum, not plastic, and the heads are a incredibly solid. It's really a very nice kit.

I've played the RB1 and RB2 stock kits along with the ION, and the ION kit is easily the best one. Between just the RB1 and RB2 kits, it's absolutely worth the price to upgrade. The RB1 kits were pretty terrible, and I went through 3 of them (which is why I was willing to spring for the ION). The foot pedal and pads will eventually break on you, it's only a matter of when. The stock RB2 kit has much better bounce, they're quieter, have a better foot pedal, and the drum heads look to be less prone to cracking. All of that plus being wireless makes the RB2 kit, in my estimation, a necessary upgrade. Nobody should be playing RB2 with the stock RB1 drum kit. It's a waste of money as they will absolutely, with a 100% guarantee, break on you.

The option to move up to the ION kit just depends on how much you play and if you're at all interested in making the game more realistic. Being able to configure the drums in virtually any way you want was a big selling factor for me. The ION kit is bigger, and is wired, but for me, all of the other pros far outweigh those two cons.

Mdot
11-17-2008, 02:39 PM
My RB1 pedal first broke at the hinge, which I reinforced at the time and has been fine. Now it's cracking in the middle, which is what's prompting me to buy the new set. I'll attempt another patch job, but you guys have gave enough reasons for me to think the new set is worth purchasing anyway.

Shrinn
11-17-2008, 02:51 PM
The extra symbol that can't be used irks me as well.

There's a cymbal you can't use? That seems so very weird.. what's the point of it then?

What's this about different timing on the bass drum? News to me.

It feels different to me. Definitely feels more precise. In the first one it always felt like if you were in the general ballpark of the bass note and had hit the note before it, it would register, even if in reality you were off quite a bit. In RB2 (to me) it feels like the bass note has the same area where it's able to be hit as the other notes. Maybe I'm crazy. Azuritereaction (crazy youtube drummer) mentions it too in one of his videos. don't feel like finding it though.

I wouldn't classify the ION Drum Rocker as "plastic drums." They are of a much higher build quality than any of the other drum sets for the games. The base is made of aluminum, not plastic, and the heads are a incredibly solid. It's really a very nice kit.

No contest that the Ion kit is amazing. It's also over twice the price of the RB2 kit + cymbals. And it being bigger just completely calls it out of question as I'm living in a cramped college dorm already.

Variable Gear
11-17-2008, 03:04 PM
There's a cymbal you can't use? That seems so very weird.. what's the point of it then?
In GH:WT there is an extra drum note. You have three pads, two cymbals, and the kick pedal. But, in RB, all you've got is the four pads and the kick pedal. Because of this, the orange cymbal doesn't do anything. :(

Shrinn
11-17-2008, 03:24 PM
In GH:WT there is an extra drum note. You have three pads, two cymbals, and the kick pedal. But, in RB, all you've got is the four pads and the kick pedal. Because of this, the orange cymbal doesn't do anything. :(

So even though all the charts have five notes, no song uses the fifth cymbal? That's crappy...

Kenzington4short
11-17-2008, 03:33 PM

I think it just appears smaller because of three pads (plus high hat and crash) across as opposed to RB's four. The GH:WT pads are actually a little larger.

I own the GH:WT kit, and it's just not built for Rock Band (surprise, surprise). It's tough for me to get used to the positioning of the pads, especially the red and blue pads. The extra symbol that can't be used irks me as well. Sure, I could take it off when I play, but that looks more strange than leaving it on.

It is a bit odd playing Rock Band with the GH:WT drums for me, especially when it throws stuff at you like alternating combination hits requiring the yellow pad. I get all kinds of thrown off. I've also hit at the plastic between the red and blue, expecting the yellow to be there.

I will say that it does feel more authentic to be playing with the high hat up top (not that I've played drums for real or anything).

I don't like the kick pedal though. It's not attached to anything so it will end up sliding a bit. I have to adjust it every few songs. I also don't like the way it feels. I kept getting double kicks when I know I only kicked once. The pedal's also oddly rubbery. That might help in life longevity though.

And man, I wanna pick up the cymbal pack but that's just going to add to the glut of plastic. It's also going to be a hassle to break down, something I always do after I've finished playing because I just don't have the room to keep it together.

Nameless
11-17-2008, 03:48 PM
The Rock Band 2 drums have been fantastic for me. Ever since I switched, I've been getting way better scores and never drop a note. I've been using it a hell of a lot, too, and it's still fine. I do notice the pad sensitivity when I do fills, but I admit it's not a huge feature.

I've yet to buy a cymbal pack, but when I do, I'll be sure to post my impressions.

Zanzibar
11-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I keep looking longingly at the RB2 kit. I really can't justify an ION, but I have an RB1 launch day kit that is loud and terrible at registering hits. Plus...cymbals. Jesus, I gotta have 'em.