PDA

View Full Version : id's RAGE (spoilers)

AntonThaGreat
10-04-2011, 02:57 AM
So! The initial reviews are in and, frankly, I feel bad for them. They just can't seem to recapture the magic of yore.

Here's joystiq's take:
RAGE isn't what you think it is.

In fact, it's easiest to tell you what RAGE isn't right away. It's nothing like Fallout 3. It's nothing like Borderlands. It's not an RPG, though Id and Bethesda have used RPG terminology in describing it. It's not much of an open world. It's not very big. It's not very long.

And unfortunately, it's not the return to prominence that Id fans have been hoping for.

http://i.joystiq.com/2011/10/04/rage-review/

And heres an opnion from destructoid's writer:

RAGE is fast food, the kind of fast food that looks much more satisfying on the menu than it does once served. It's tasty, for sure, but you'll be starving almost as soon as you've finished. By no means is RAGE not worth your time -- it looks stunning, the combat on both wheels and foot is fun, and there's a tremendous sense of atmosphere that deserves to be experienced. However, RAGE's quality only makes its lack of ambition more painful in the long run, as it could easily have been better than it is. It's a good game, most definitely, and one that id fans will enjoy ... just don't expect it to do half of what it looks like it can do.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-rage-212834.phtml

Who's the head designer at ID? I think he needs to go; and if after doom 3 and rage, it's carmac that's pulling the strings! He needs to take a back seat, do what he does best creating technical break throughs and hire a really good head designer/producer.

Savok
10-04-2011, 03:23 AM
I'm baffled by the attention this game is getting. I barely even knew what it was about 24 hours ago, and suddenly it's the release of the fucking century. id haven't made a good game since Doom 2 and even there the original was better. What the fuck were you all expecting?

AntonThaGreat
10-04-2011, 03:32 AM
I'm baffled by the attention this game is getting. I barely even knew what it was about 24 hours ago, and suddenly it's the release of the fucking century. id haven't made a good game since Doom 2 and even there the original was better. What the fuck were you all expecting?

Something better than an average of 80% from the progenitor of modern shooters for a start. :mad:

They have the resources and the brains to do it, they just need to hire a good writer and lead designer.

Duke Nukem Gorever should have used the RAGE engine, now that I think about it. :P

Savok
10-04-2011, 03:47 AM
No, no more new engines for DNF :P

It was the same with Warren Spector, Peter Molyneux and everyone else. They've all fallen (Carmack ages ago but apparently no one noticed).

By the looks of things the game doesn't even have proper video settings, haha. To the cynicism thread, this is why we expect the worst.

Vigil80
10-04-2011, 04:17 AM
I think you're on to something, Anton. I seem to recall saying somewhere that id's forte is technology first and foremost, and their games seem to be on the verge of becoming tech demos more than anything else. Someone could do amazing things with id Tech 5.

AntonThaGreat
10-04-2011, 04:28 AM
I think you're on to something, Anton. I seem to recall saying somewhere that id's forte is technology first and foremost, and their games seem to be on the verge of becoming tech demos more than anything else. Someone could do amazing things with id Tech 5.

I don't truly understand why guys like Crytek can make amazing looking game and feature a great and compelling story on their first and subsequent attempts, in a place thats probably starved for talent, and ID with it's experience cannot.
I strongly believe that it's probably due to carmac's and the rest if the older ID guys holding on to old ways of thinking having too much creative control over their titles, but we'll never know unless they do a Gamasutra style interview or a reedit AMA.

On the other hand, I just saw the gametrailers.com review (who I personally think give good and fair reviews) and while lamenting the story, say damn near the opposite of the reviews that I posted in the OP. Give it a watch, (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-rage/721726) final score's a 9.0.

Seika
10-04-2011, 04:29 AM
I watched someone's stream play-through, for a while.

It's a tech demo.

Looks beautiful, but feels so empty.

CES
10-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Carmack will be and is the first to admit iD spent far too much time on building the new engine rather than creating a game. The reason everybody is interested is because the engine itself is far in advance of current generation tech (enhanced MegaTexture system to 128,000x128,000 with a significantly lighter memory load than textures far smaller, automatic platform optimisation and a whole heap of lighting tricks far beyond my comprehension) all designed to run at a constant 60fps.

Apparently they had to ship with lower quality textures than they wanted and they'll patch them in later (the final build was 150GB and they had to ship a game that was 25GB).

Edit: Eurogamer (8/10), IGN (8.5/10) and EGM (9.5/10) all gave it good reviews so YMMV.

iHap
10-04-2011, 07:51 AM
I have been enjoying the game so far. I'm having fun with the campaign what little I played last night without any bad taste in my mouth.

I don't read joystiq or destructoid because, well, they suck. Their writers are sell outs that don't bring truth to video games.

MalReynolds
10-04-2011, 08:03 AM
i had no problems i love it

Savok
10-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Edit: Eurogamer (8/10), IGN (8.5/10) and EGM (9.5/10) all gave it good reviews so YMMV.
Of course they did, Bethesda pays for reviews all the fucking time.

Of note this is such an amazing piece of technology you don't even get to fiddle your video options (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aojgQkWKWRw&t=0m56s) like any sensible PC gamer does first thing. Causing a slight problem from what I'm reading, due to lagging texture pop-in, massive amounts of screen tearing and constant crashing.

Taerar
10-04-2011, 08:05 AM
I don't read joystiq or destructoid because, well, they suck. Their writers are sell outs that don't bring truth to video games.

Agreed. Joystiq's reviews lately have made me consider going to another site for news. I see pretty solid reviews from Eurogamer, IGN, and 1up. Can't wait to get this installed on my PC tonight.

Entropy
10-04-2011, 08:21 AM
I think what's most telling about this game and id software is how many people are latching onto the few bad reviews and using them as an opportunity to dismiss the company and their legacy.

You can tell the people who wanted to hate this game.

For the most part the reviews are positive...I guess it's easy for some to ignore that.

Ink Asylum
10-04-2011, 08:28 AM
I don't think people are looking at the negative reviews and dismissing the company's legacy. They're looking at them and it's just confirming the company's legacy. Technically amazing, mindlessly fun, but shallow titles.

violent
10-04-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm certainly enjoying it though I'm aware that an excellent FPS is a rare commodity.

Karak
10-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Should we merge this with the other thread from yesterday in the general gaming section? That we are posting on.

CES
10-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Of course they did, Bethesda pays for reviews all the fucking time.

Because Destructoid is such a bastion of journalistic integrity? You take their word over anyone else and there's nothing else to it, you're a fool.

Of note this is such an amazing piece of technology you don't even get to fiddle your video options (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aojgQkWKWRw&t=0m56s) like any sensible PC gamer does first thing. Causing a slight problem from what I'm reading, due to lagging texture pop-in, massive amounts of screen tearing and constant crashing.

It's unusual but I'm struggling to care since much of what's vital can be adjusted via the dev console.

Also, this (http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1236340-i-cant-believe-john-carmack-would-let-something-like-this-pass-no-graphics-tweaking-on-pc-i-dont-believe-this-what-is-going-on/page__view__findpost__p__18732700) post on the Steam forums sums it up better than I can:

This just in: Remember the golden ages of PC gaming? Quake, Half-Life, Starcraft? Guess what, none of these games have any major video settings besides resolution and color adjustment.

Savok
10-04-2011, 09:12 AM
I've never actually been to Destructoid, they accuse Bethesda of it?

There was nothing adjust in those days.

Also using the dev console kills achievements on the Steam version.

Squidbot
10-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Should we merge this with the other thread from yesterday in the general gaming section? That we are posting on.

Or we could leave one for Savok to froth in, while the other thread is for people who wish to discuss gameplay.

Karak
10-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Or we could leave one for Savok to froth in, while the other thread is for people who wish to discuss gameplay.
:)
It's up to Antonb, I will let him decide since his is the later one. Its all coolio with me. As for gameplay. Post in the other thread when you get the game. I would like to do some co-op later if you get it.

CES
10-04-2011, 09:28 AM
I've never actually been to Destructoid, they accuse Bethesda of it?

Put it this way, Destructoid are the only group I've seen that have been told they're not welcome at PAX for their antics (thousands of dollars in damages does that).

If the dev console works they same way as FO:NV did, make the changes then go back to the main menu or load a previous save to regain the ability to get achievements. I'd like to test this myself but there's still three days till it sees an EU release.

Savok
10-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Put it this way, Destructoid are the only group I've seen that have been told they're not welcome at PAX for their antics (thousands of dollars in damages does that).
Sound like assholes.

If the dev console works they same way as FO:NV did, make the changes then go back to the main menu or load a previous save to regain the ability to get achievements. I'd like to test this myself but there's still three days till it sees an EU release.
Apparently it doesn't, it locks into the save game.

Psykoboy2
10-04-2011, 09:36 AM

Not to derail here, but...what did they do?

Squidbot
10-04-2011, 10:02 AM
:)
I would like to do some co-op later if you get it.

Love to! I'm just waiting for Steam to unlock it in the UK.

CES
10-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Not to derail here, but...what did they do?

Held a cake eating contest using only your face in one of the Sheraton's theatres, they apparently managed to spill cake all over the carpets and trample it in. I was speaking to several Enforcers and even by the tail end of sunday they couldn't get rid of the smell or marks.

The year before when the Enforcers had several plushies to amuse the crowd, Destructoid borrowed them for "pictures". Instead they recorded video of them being idiots and tearing the plushies to pieces.

Lint of Death
10-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Make sure to get the latest beta drivers for your graphics card before playing this, they're generally intended to be optimized for RAGE and will most likely fix a number of graphical issues like screen tearing and texture pop-in.

Also I hear that SLI is a no-no, stick with one active GFX card.

Codicier
10-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Make sure to get the latest beta drivers for your graphics card before playing this, they're generally intended to be optimized for RAGE and will most likely fix a number of graphical issues like screen tearing and texture pop-in.

Also I hear that SLI is a no-no, stick with one active GFX card.

According to ATI (which I found via RPS) their beta drivers are messed up: http://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator/status/121248985557118976

I would avoid those for now. Just use the 11.10 they put out for BF3 for the moment.

Lint of Death
10-04-2011, 12:43 PM
According to ATI (which I found via RPS) their beta drivers are messed up: http://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator/status/121248985557118976

I would avoid those for now. Just use the 11.10 they put out for BF3 for the moment.

Well I got a GTX 460, so ATI can suck it :p

muddi900
10-04-2011, 01:01 PM

How about Ars Technica:

Imagine Borderlands with the fun stripped out, or Fallout without actual choice, characters, or consequences. None of the game's ideas are thought out or fully explored, so the game feels like a series of dead ends in a world that is hard to care about, in which you play a bland character doing boring things against stock enemies using weak guns. I only finished RAGE because I was paid to do so, and the process was a struggle; the game never presented me with a hook to continue playing,

The game starts with a fine engine, but it never justifies its own existence, and I only experienced brief flashes of fun in my time with the game. I'm going to play the game on the PC once that version of the game is unlocked and then write another post, but I felt like I had to get the warning out the second the embargo dropped. At the very least, you need to rent this before you buy it. Most shooter fans will be fine skipping it altogether. This a game that seems content with getting in its own way as much as possible; it works as a satirical look at why open world games often fail, but as a standalone game it's maddeningly bad.

So, just to sum up my nine plus hours with the game so far:

No story to speak of
No characters that make an impression
Linear
Broken save system
Dull mechanics
Tedious quests
Weak shooting
Stock weapons
Racing is fun
Minigames are enjoyable
Very pretty

Entropy
10-04-2011, 01:58 PM
84% now at GameRankings...sounds awful ;)

violent
10-04-2011, 01:59 PM
What I've played has been fun. Sounds awful.

J Arcane
10-04-2011, 02:07 PM
How about Ars Technica:
Ben Kuchera, on Twitter and in that article, also confirmed one of the reasons for the game's stellar reviews: They pulled a Tony Hawk's RIDE.

Rather than sending out review copies, Bethesda dragged reviewers to a hotel where they were given two days with the game and expected to write the game off of one marathon session. Also, they embargo'd the reviews until release date and for PC, gave reviews Steam codes that didn't unlock until retail did.

There was also this, which I suspect is spot on:

I can't help but think a lot of outlets aren't reviewing Rage, they're reviewing whether or not they'd like to get Skyrim early. (https://twitter.com/#!/BenKuchera/status/121082662864691200)

Psykoboy2
10-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Also, they embargo'd the reviews until release date and for PC, gave reviews Steam codes that didn't unlock until retail did.

That exact same thing happened to us with Doc's copy. They had to overnight a 360 version once they found out that little issue.

MagGnome
10-04-2011, 02:35 PM

You honestly hadn't heard of the game until yesterday? It's been in development for years. I remember previews of the game coming out years ago. Heck I'm pretty sure this was announced even before HL2: Episode 2 came out, if that tells you anything.

Edit - The reviews for this game are all over the map.

Superman's Dead
10-04-2011, 02:43 PM
I haven't played yet, but it has the smoothest framerate I've ever seen for a console game. Ever

Grifter
10-04-2011, 02:55 PM
I generally don't pre-order games but I think I managed to get myself got up in the general hype of all the seemingly good games coming out this season and went a bit crazy with the pre-orders. Anyway, I ended up refusing the delivery of this so it'll get shipped strait back to Amazon. Based on the mixed reviews I just felt that $60 was too much of a risk and I'd rather put it towards something else. I still want to play it but I think I'll just wait for the inevitable Steam sale.

Shjinta
10-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm actually waiting on the steam sale for this game... Even then i won't be able to play it.. 22GB download is just too retarded for my pathetic internet cap.

Codicier
10-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Well I got a GTX 460, so ATI can suck it :p

I should amend that. The BF3 beta drivers are also not good for Rage. So just stick with 11.9 I guess.

Savok
10-04-2011, 06:19 PM
You honestly hadn't heard of the game until yesterday? It's been in development for years. I remember previews of the game coming out years ago. Heck I'm pretty sure this was announced even before HL2: Episode 2 came out, if that tells you anything.

Edit - The reviews for this game are all over the map.
I knew the name and that it was a FPS. The moment I saw who was making it I turned off. But now I can't stop reading, it really is like watching a train wreck, I just can't look away.

Entropy
10-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Apparently "train wreck" is now a metaphor meaning "good game"

violent
10-04-2011, 07:05 PM
It's nice to feel like a part of something.

Wolvie
10-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Sound like assholes.

They are. I stopped reading Destructiod years ago. All they do is talk shit, spew bitterness and be 'controversial' to get more hits.

Plus every damn editor makes Halo games sound like the worst kind of crap. Fuck the morons, don't listen to them... ever.

Wilkz07
10-04-2011, 08:48 PM
I watched someone's stream play-through, for a while.

It's a tech demo.

Looks beautiful, but feels so empty.

looking forward to the next game using that engine then. will rent Rage instead.

Lint of Death
10-04-2011, 09:03 PM
I should amend that. The BF3 beta drivers are also not good for Rage. So just stick with 11.9 I guess.

I should amend my post as well. I fixed the screen tearing (forced VSync) with the drivers but I'm still experiencing texture pop-in just as obscene as before.

Grifter
10-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Plus every damn editor makes Halo games sound like the worst kind of crap.

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. ;)

muddi900
10-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Ben Kuchera, on Twitter and in that article, also confirmed one of the reasons for the game's stellar reviews: They pulled a Tony Hawk's RIDE.

Rather than sending out review copies, Bethesda dragged reviewers to a hotel where they were given two days with the game and expected to write the game off of one marathon session. Also, they embargo'd the reviews until release date and for PC, gave reviews Steam codes that didn't unlock until retail did.

There was also this, which I suspect is spot on:

Even the positive reviews try to work around the gameplay issues. I wonder if Skyrim wasn't so close to release...

I was quite indifferent to it until the discussions in the weekday thread and this thread. This whole situation feels is quite amusing now.

LongStepMantis
10-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Really? We were having a great time beating id with a shovel and then burying their almost lifeless body- with gleeful disregard for patience and deliberation- and now we're going to turn this into a Halo argument?

Halo falls under Godwin's lesser law dealing specifically with video games.

Ghostbear
10-05-2011, 12:04 AM
So, I get about a frame every 5 seconds and super bad texture pop in. I'll just avail myself of all the video options... wait. fuck.

kyrieee
10-05-2011, 04:09 AM
You guys look a bit silly talking so much mess about id & RAGE when you haven't played it yet. The reviews are mixed, if you want to argue that the game is bad then you don't do it by cherry picking some reviews and then saying that the other reviews are bought out. Talk about wanting to hate a game.

c0m3d14n
10-05-2011, 04:17 AM
You guys look a bit silly talking so much mess about id & RAGE when you haven't played it yet. The reviews are mixed, if you want to argue that the game is bad then you don't do it by cherry picking some reviews and then saying that the other reviews are bought out. Talk about wanting to hate a game.

well i have no opinion about rage, but i dont take 90% of the "professional" reviews serious.
thats partly why i frequent this page, to get opinions from - relatively - mature gamers ;)
the only other page i frequent from time to time is giantbomb

Entropy
10-05-2011, 08:19 AM
You guys look a bit silly talking so much mess about id & RAGE when you haven't played it yet. The reviews are mixed, .

Yes they do look silly...and it's the usual suspects doing it so should any of us be surprised?

As far as the reviews being mixed it's now an 84.12% at GameRankings...that's hardly mixed....mixed would be like a 50%. If you look at the aggregates and the opinions of people here it's overwhelmingly positive.

I played all last night and it's both fun and gorgeous.