PDA

View Full Version : First Mortal Kombat DLC Characters Announced

DoctorFinger
03-28-2011, 08:01 AM
It's not even on store shelves yet and we're learning the details of the first DLC characters for the new Mortal Kombat. Such is the industry in 2011. Not that I'm complaining. Personally I prefer DLC to the alternatives: either a full priced expansion or a rapid fire sequel. But I understand that announcements like this rub some people the wrong way.

But on to the actual details of the DLC. We don't know when it will be out, or how much it will cost, but we know which fighters will be included in it. First up is the blind monk Kenshi, who has been in Mortal Kombat games since 2002's Deadly Alliance. Joining him on the roster is Scarlett. She, like Ermac, began life as an error on some MK arcade machines which produced ninjas in red instead of the usual colors. Ermac became famous enough to be included in MK games for nearly a decade now, but this will be the first time Scarlett will get the same treatment.

These will be complete characters, with their own stories, move sets and fatalities.

Source - Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/27/mortal-kombats-first-two-downloadable-fighters-revealed/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fjoystiq+%28Joyst iq%29)

Iron Past
03-28-2011, 09:01 AM
PUMPED for Kenshi. Kintaro might (might) be DLC later on, too. I know Boon has flat out said that PDLC will absolutely not be on the disc, and I'm possitive it will be data mined, so I doubt he's lying. They also claim they'll continue to put out DLC as long as people are still playing.

It should be noted that Boon also said some DLC will be free, but I have no idea what it might be. I'd surprised if it was characters.

Kintaro hates lolcats.

KidCactus
03-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Personally I prefer DLC to the alternatives: either a full priced expansion or a rapid fire sequel. But I understand that announcements like this rub some people the wrong way.
How about option three: include it in the game?

BLeeP
03-28-2011, 09:07 AM
How about option three: include it in the game?

Even this speaks with cynicism, though. This would be assuming that the extra characters wouldn't take them off schedule. Or, alternatively, you are saying you want the game delayed indefinitely to include everything that they could ever release as DLC.

Blue
03-28-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm a bit with cactus on this one but at the same time, the cost could be negligible. There's a chance it could be free to early adopters or just a couple of bucks. I do however think announcing DLC three weeks even before the release date just smacks of stupid regardless of the reason as it's not going to sit well with most people.

All that said: yippie!

Wilkz07
03-28-2011, 09:21 AM
hopefully they are priced reasonably as individual or a pack. having the characters with their own storyline is an added bonus (most likely will have (better have) their own acheivements) rather than just new costumes.

I personally don't like 'announced before release dlc', especially characters when it could have been put on the disc to begin with. Makes you wonder how many games get made and where they chop off little bits of it to package later as dlc.

KidCactus
03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Makes you wonder how many games get made and where they chop off little bits of it to package later as dlc.
I'm too cynical to not believe that is the case.

menage
03-28-2011, 11:25 AM
I used to buy SF2 Turbo for 100 bucks on import which basically was 4 new chara's, backgrounds and some tweaks. I can handle some DLC.

The good old days of the fighter really weren't much better.

xoanon
03-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Devs have told me that the reality is that DLC like this is not "held back" as much as they start working on it when they finish what they planned to include in the retail game. It's not like they get a working version and then throw a switch to conjure a box full of jewel cases. I preferred Mass Effect 2 model where I got the stuff that was ready for digital delivery on launch day (and more later) for no additional cost, but not every release is as bad as SF4.

Wilkz07
03-28-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm too cynical to not believe that is the case.

RE 5... yay you can now play multiplayer but you need to pay for it.. what its a code to unlock content already on the disc? why that's fantastic Capcom.

carnage11
03-28-2011, 03:08 PM
RE 5... yay you can now play multiplayer but you need to pay for it.. what its a code to unlock content already on the disc? why that's fantastic Capcom.

What about strolling through a game and coming upon a man with a big arrow over him. A quest? Let's see......

.....no it's an advertisement for DLC. The kicker? It's now been added to your journal!:mad:

DoctorFinger
03-28-2011, 03:27 PM
The devs have confirmed that Kintaro is NOT in the DLC, only Kenshi and the "woman in red". I've seen other sites give her name as Skarlett, so I'm not sure what her official name is right now.

Iron Past
03-28-2011, 08:33 PM
The devs have confirmed that Kintaro is NOT in the DLC, only Kenshi and the "woman in red". I've seen other sites give her name as Skarlett, so I'm not sure what her official name is right now.

They haven't decided on an official name for the Lady in Red, or so I hear. And I amend my former statement. They mentioned him on Twitter, so I guess they're not keeping it a secret anymore, but Kintaro is in the game proper. No idea if he's playable or not.