PDA

View Full Version : In Other News...March 14

DoctorFinger
03-14-2011, 05:50 PM
- Konami today released DLC for Hard Corps Uprising. The Leviathan Pack adds Leviathan as a playable character. The DLC will set you back 200 MSP ($2.50)

- Sucker Punch has begun taking applications (http://www.infamousthegame.com/) for the limited Infamous 2 user generated content beta.

- Valve promises that Portal 2 won't be as difficult as the trailers make it seem. In fact, they've worked hard to eliminate the puzzles which frustrated players (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/13/valves-erik-wolpaw-on-portal-2s-difficulty-ps3-steam-features/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fjoystiq+%28Joyst iq%29)the most in the original: the ones where you know the solution, but need ninja-like reflexes to execute it. They want gamers to have to think hard to solve the puzzles, but once you "know" the solution be able to execute it easily.

- Jagex, developer of the venerable free-to-play MMO Runescape will be making an MMO (http://www.shacknews.com/article/67814/runescape-devs-making-transformers-mmo)based on the Transformers.

- Another day, another story about a gamer locked out of his games due to a forum post someone in corporate didn't like. But this story is a little different (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/03/steam-user-violates-subscriber-agreement-loses-1800-in-games.ars). The company is Valve, one of the most liked big companies in gaming. The forum user in question was trying to sell his Steam account, which included nearly $2,000 in games. After he posted a thread about his attempts to sell the account, Valve locked his entire account down, rendering all of his Steam games unplayable. Valve's EULA explicitly bans the sale of Steam accounts, but just like the EA-Dragon Age II story from last week it highlights the perils of buying from a digital storefront.

- Oh goodie, Hollywood is looking to make a new, rebooted Doom film (http://www.whatsplaying.com.au/2011/03/hollywood-insider-doom-you-hollywood/). In 3D of course. I know why they're doing this, I just can't help but think there are better properties to make a big, dumb sci-fi action flick out of. (via Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/11/report-doom-movie-reboot-in-the-works-at-universal/))

Hawkzombie
03-14-2011, 05:54 PM
...Will the Rock be in this one?

DoctorFinger
03-14-2011, 06:01 PM
He'll be too busy making the live action Care Bears movie.

Hawkzombie
03-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Can you SMEEEEEEEEEEEEEL What the Lionheart is Care Bear Starin'?!

...As atrocious as that sounds, I'd pay money to see it.

pomeroy
03-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Every single time I see anything about Hard Corps, I think it's Blast Corps and get really excited.

Abunai
03-14-2011, 06:14 PM
According to an update of the story, Valve has since reactivated the account. That still doesn't remove the peril, though. I don't even want the think about my account being canceled.

violent
03-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Fuck that. I need a real difficulty level for Portal. Let there be the easier setting for the ladies but I want some Super Meat Boy level of difficulty in my Portal. I flew through the first one in about 3 hours in my first run and I welcome a disgustingly difficult mode.

johnperkins21
03-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Fuck that. I need a real difficulty level for Portal. Let there be the easier setting for the ladies but I want some Super Meat Boy level of difficulty in my Portal. I flew through the first one in about 3 hours in my first run and I welcome a disgustingly difficult mode.

That's what challenge rooms are for. I'm actually for this move, as it makes it even more of a puzzle game. I'm sure they'll leave in some difficulty, but a few of the puzzles did require some very dexterous maneuvers that were a bit frustrating to pull off. Executing the moves shouldn't be the difficult part in my opinion, figuring out the solution should be, and that sounds like what they're trying to do.

And they're still going to have challenge rooms (apparently as DLC) for those looking for more challenge. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

Uatu
03-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Dude I don't know about you guys but I finished Portal in two short sittings and only 1 of the rooms really had me scratching my head. That's bad news if you ask me.

violent
03-14-2011, 06:32 PM
I want Portal 2 to have a single achievement: finish it.

I understand this is a selfish request.

Kelegacy
03-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Games today are for pussies.

Wombat
03-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Maybe in this version of Doom they'll actually shoot something with the BFG instead of just melting a couple of holes in the wall. Also, flying tomato demons please!

Exodus
03-14-2011, 07:27 PM

Well you have to think about it this way. There's such a barrier to entry for video games as it is. This is why simpler solutions are becoming popular. Those of us who had to suffer with the learning from the beginning were willing to put forth the effort while more than just a 100x more were not.

'Anyone can cook and they are making sure they can but only the fearless can be great.' As long as those of us who do enjoy employing ninja reflexes have the freedom to do so; I have no problem with this philosophy they are following.

violent
03-14-2011, 07:34 PM
2 words: punish failure.

Reverant
03-14-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm excited about the Portal 2 changes. I loved the first game, and my wife was trying to dig it, but it requires a lot more FPS-honed reflexes than most gamers give it credit for. I just know that when she gets to the later puzzles, I'll be the one at the wheel after she figures out the solution. More puzzle and less reflex sounds perfect.

quidmonkey
03-14-2011, 07:42 PM
2 words: punish failure.

And segment your market.

Stoke
03-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Have they mentioned how long the Portal 2 single player campaign should take?

Kelegacy
03-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Didn't realize we had so many soccer moms on these boards. :)

jpublic
03-14-2011, 07:54 PM
- Another day, another story about a gamer locked out of his games due to a forum post someone in corporate didn't like. But this story is a little different (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/03/steam-user-violates-subscriber-agreement-loses-1800-in-games.ars). The company is Valve, one of the most liked big companies in gaming. The forum user in question was trying to sell his Steam account, which included nearly $2,000 in games. After he posted a thread about his attempts to sell the account, Valve locked his entire account down, rendering all of his Steam games unplayable. Valve's EULA explicitly bans the sale of Steam accounts, but just like the EA-Dragon Age II story from last week it highlights the perils of buying from a digital storefront.

Ummm, writer bias much?

A person bought a product, with the EXPLICIT understanding that he was not allowed to transfer his rights and access to that content to anyone else. And then, he tried to do that anyway, so Valve by removing access to the content to prevent the sale.

That's not a peril of buying from a digital storefront, that's a peril of being a dumbass and thinking that you're somehow special and the rules don't apply to you because you want to make a buck.

And yes, I admit to my bias.

Deadend
03-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Homeboy was crying on the STEAM forums?

Kinda dumb.

But it would be nice to be able to gift my used Steam games to friends. Even if there is a SMALL fee for doing so, I think many people would like the option.

Stoke
03-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Homeboy was crying on the STEAM forums?

Kinda dumb.

But it would be nice to be able to gift my used Steam games to friends. Even if there is a SMALL fee for doing so, I think many people would like the option.

No, he was complaining on reddit. The same place he was price shopping at.

DoctorFinger
03-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Ummm, writer bias much?

A person bought a product, with the EXPLICIT understanding that he was not allowed to transfer his rights and access to that content to anyone else. And then, he tried to do that anyway, so Valve by removing access to the content to prevent the sale.

That's not a peril of buying from a digital storefront, that's a peril of being a dumbass and thinking that you're somehow special and the rules don't apply to you because you want to make a buck.

And yes, I admit to my bias.I was trying to stimulate a discussion. Am I biased? Sure. In this case I wanted to highlight the difference in reaction between this and the EA story. With the EA story people - not here, but on a lot of other sites - were calling it a step towards fascism. But the Valve story got almost no press. Now I absolutely love Valve and Steam. I just think EA gets a little too much hate directed at them

violent
03-14-2011, 08:21 PM
And segment your market.

Business before entertainment. You belong in marketing, not in gaming.

EDIT: And segment who, gamers up for a challenge and pussies?

violent
03-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Double post

EDIT: http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/zombiesupastar/creepy.gif

bryan
03-14-2011, 08:29 PM
I had zero problem with Portal, but best to wait and see.

How is Runescape? I've never played is it any decent? Wondering how it reflects on the Transformers MMO.

Reverant
03-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Double post

EDIT: http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/zombiesupastar/creepy.gif

I don't know what the fuck this is, but I find it alternately hilarious and terrifying.

Darkmatter
03-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Ummm, writer bias much?

And yes, I admit to my bias.

Well I'd say your bias stands out a lot more then Doc's does. The main thing that he was pointing out is the one thing you conveniently forgot to mention.
With physical copies of a game the company can't take your game away from you no matter how many "rules" they say you've broke. That is a BIG difference! Once they do that you've given them $40+ with no product to show for it. You paid full price to rent their game.

SilentScreams
Wait...Portal had hard parts?

Could have fooled me.

I guess I can safely pass on Portal 2 if it's going to be even easier than the already casual Portal.

jpublic
I was trying to stimulate a discussion. Am I biased? Sure. In this case I wanted to highlight the difference in reaction between this and the EA story. With the EA story people - not here, but on a lot of other sites - were calling it a step towards fascism. But the Valve story got almost no press. Now I absolutely love Valve and Steam. I just think EA gets a little too much hate directed at them

I absolutely agree. In the EA story, I was with EA. Look, the rules may suck, but if I agree to the rules when I make the purchase, I have to abide by them.

bryan
03-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Well I'd say your bias stands out a lot more then Doc's does. The main thing that he was pointing out is the one thing you conveniently forgot to mention.
With physical copies of a game the company can't take your game away from you no matter how many "rules" they say you've broke. That is a BIG difference! Once they do that you've given them $40+ with no product to show for it. You paid full price to rent their game.

I'd just like to point out that this big difference is obvious from the start and was never ever hidden from any purchaser at Steam. Everyone who buys anything on the Steam platform is fully aware the games are non transferable. Yet, the guy in question tried to circumvent that. He is clearly in the wrong.

EA is slightly different cause the guy was banned for his choice of words. So, we're discussing then whether people's speech is a just cause for banning. There is a slight parallel but the two cases remain distinctly different enough.

Vigil80
03-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Maybe not hidden exactly, but I take issue with the assumption that he knew what he was doing. The information was hidden - for lack of a better word - in the EULA, which, let's face it, noone reads.

And yes, that's technically on the buyer, too. But just maybe it's pertinent to the discussion that we might all need to start earnestly reading EULAs to discover the ways in which we can be suddenly and permanently divested from our "property."

bryan
03-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Maybe not hidden exactly, but I take issue with the assumption that he knew what he was doing. The information was hidden - for lack of a better word - in the EULA, which, let's face it, noone reads.

And yes, that's technically on the buyer, too. But just maybe it's pertinent to the discussion that we might all need to start earnestly reading EULAs to discover the ways in which we can be suddenly and permanently divested from our "property."

The flip side is, to support your argument you're also assuming that he doesn't know what he was doing. I don't have any numbers, but with the maturity of Steam as a platform, and digital sales in general, the general population of users should be aware of the fact that it's non transferable. Based on this view then, if he really didn't know, then the problem lies in his ignorance. And ignorance is certainly not tantamount to a pass on anyone's actions.

Let's not forget the guy has 2000 dollars worth of games. He has certainly been using the platform for a long time.

JayK47
03-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Until they change the rules without notice. I should be able to give my games away as I see fit. Should. In a few years there will be very little game trading. Game makers want you all to pay full retail. No borrowing. No trading. No used deals. You have to wait and wait and hope for a sale. Thankfully Steam has decent sales if you have the patience. Back when I was a piss broke kid, I was only able to play most games by borrowing and trading. I only had the opportunity for a few new games a year. My spoiled kids are going to have to buy all of their games new. They will have to choose wisely. Sad to see physical game and music media going the way of the dodo.

Vigil80
03-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Let's not forget the guy has 2000 dollars worth of games. He has certainly been using the platform for a long time.
Says who? I don't see how that's any more compelling an argument than any other that's been made. Why should time or amount of games make a difference, especially if it doesn't come up? This is certainly the first I've heard of this, and I've been on Steam since the beginning. Not that I'm proud to admit my own ignorance, but assumptions are assumptions, and one assumption is as good as another here.

At any rate, I'm not trying to be an apologist for anyone. I'm not even saying Steam is wrong to do it, though I think a warning might have been in order. The ethics or other qualities of the policy are a separate issue. But right or wrong, it makes Steam, and by extension digital distribution in general, look bad.

bryan
03-14-2011, 09:59 PM
I for one would love to gift my games to my brother. But I buy each and every game knowing that resale is not an option. If you want resale you buy the physical.

Yes we're making a lot of assumptions, but ultimately it's caveat emptor. Everyone has personal responsibility. The choice is yours. If digital distribution is not for you, then buy the physical.

I disagree that it makes it look bad. It's a choice, like any other. Drunk driving is a personal choice, does that make alcohol look bad? Eating too much chocolate is a personal choice, does that make chocolate look bad? Nothing is being forced on anyone.

Generation ABXY
03-14-2011, 10:09 PM
I disagree that it makes it look bad.

It may make it look bad, in the sense that it's one less reason for some of us to ever get on board.

Vigil80
03-14-2011, 10:09 PM
I for one would love to gift my games to my brother. But I buy each and every game knowing that resale is not an option. If you want resale you buy the physical.
If I want resale, I don't buy for the PC at all. That was getting stamped out well before Steam.

I disagree that it makes it look bad. It's a choice, like any other. Drunk driving is a personal choice, does that make alcohol look bad?
Yes, absolutely.
Eating too much chocolate is a personal choice, does that make chocolate look bad?
Yes. To a far lesser extent, though.
Nothing is being forced on anyone.
Again, true. But if chocolate had some caveat that if I try to give it to somebody for a quarter I can never eat chocolate again, I'd expect some eyebrows to be raised.

Mike Kelehan
03-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Wait...Portal had hard parts?

Could have fooled me.

I guess I can safely pass on Portal 2 if it's going to be even easier than the already casual Portal.

They're saying the action will be easier, and I support that. They're not saying the puzzles will be easier.

bryan
03-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes, absolutely.

Yes. To a far lesser extent, though.

Again, true. But if chocolate had some caveat that if I try to give it to somebody for a quarter I can never eat chocolate again, I'd expect some eyebrows to be raised.

I for one don't drink, not a fan of it at all. But I am an absolute believer of personal responsibility. Alcohol and chocolate only look bad because like to find blame in the object rather than the person. No one is forcing you to drink to intoxication, and then drive. No one is forcing you to eat chocolate till you get diabetes. And no one is forcing you to buy digital.

The thrust of my argument is

1. It's his choice to buy digital
2. It's his responsibility and some minimal due diligence to know if he has the option for resale, especially when spending 2000 dollars.
3. He broke the rules, so he got punished for it. Though his account has since been restored.

In the meanwhile, there are millions of the rest of us who are happily using our digital products cause we don't break the rules. (Sidenote I still buy physical for some games.)

On your last point, it doesn't apply. You would be entitled to resale as you would not be in circumvention of any policy. Plus as mentioned above you want resale you go physical and chocolate is physical.

bryan
03-14-2011, 10:22 PM
It may make it look bad, in the sense that it's one less reason for some of us to ever get on board.

I don't disagree with that. Yes it's a strike against it I agree. Perhaps the problem is a differing definition of bad? On a cost benefit analysis personally Steam comes out good. Option of cheap Steam sales vs resale? To me it balances out.

ThievesAmongUs
03-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Its simple: He bought the product, knew the rules, and decided to violate them anyway. Then he's surprised when it bites him in the butt ? Dumbass...

Gorvi
03-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Too often, yes. That's why Demon's Souls was awesome, it was a great throwback to when they weren't. :)

TheKeck
03-14-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm excited about the Portal 2 changes. I loved the first game, and my wife was trying to dig it, but it requires a lot more FPS-honed reflexes than most gamers give it credit for. I just know that when she gets to the later puzzles, I'll be the one at the wheel after she figures out the solution. More puzzle and less reflex sounds perfect.
My wife was able to get through all of Portal without too much trouble. Well, I did have to play the parts with gun turrets, but that wasn't because those parts were too difficult, per se, but they just freaked her out too much getting shot.

Superman's Dead
03-14-2011, 11:55 PM
This is the internet. I bet as soon as he tried to sell his account, someone told him he couldn't, and he ignored them.

Jeffool
03-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Yeah, because when I think about Portal 2, I think "I want them to make a game requiring the nimbleness and dexterity I almost had when I was a teenager! Not one that will make me THINK about shit! WTF is this, smartpeopleelectronicdevices?! I want video games!" You buncha fucking FPS players. You're the jocks of the gaming nerd world!
Don't worry, I'm half joking. But you guys really did seem to ignore their saying that the focus is more on the cleverness and problemsolving; which is what made Portal fun, not the "I figured it out, now I have to try and actually DO it"-driven repetition that does not a fun game make for most of us.

J Arcane
03-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Yeah, because when I think about Portal 2, I think "I want them to make a game requiring the nimbleness and dexterity I almost had when I was a teenager! Not one that will make me THINK about shit! WTF is this, smartpeopleelectronicdevices?! I want video games!" You buncha fucking FPS players. You're the jocks of the gaming nerd world!
Don't worry, I'm half joking. But you guys really did seem to ignore their saying that the focus is more on the cleverness and problemsolving; which is what made Portal fun, not the "I figured it out, now I have to try and actually DO it"-driven repetition that does not a fun game make for most of us.
CoG's just due for it's regular bout of "LOOK HOW HARDCORE I AM" prick-waving.

I've never found anything more laughable than even feigning superiority or greater manhood over one's skills in a computer game.

CptTripps
03-15-2011, 12:29 AM
I did not gather that they are making it (P2) easier, sounds quite the opposite actually. By simplifying the FPS control aspect they would have to make the puzzles more difficult to offer a challenge. Valve kicks ass and my glass is half full.

Darkmatter
03-15-2011, 04:15 AM
You buncha fucking FPS players. You're the jocks of the gaming nerd world!

Well then, since concussions are a really big problem for jocks these days I propose we get pictures of all CoG-Jockers, Jock-CoG'ers, Cock-Jockers, Jock-Cockers, Cock-Jock-CoG'ers, and Jock-Cock-Blockers wearing their football helmets whenever their playing a game. :D

tacitus
03-15-2011, 05:47 AM
3. He broke the rules, so he got punished for it. Though his account has since been restored.

He thought about (and seems to have intended) about breaking the rules; he never actual took any real action like putting it on ebay or craigslist or whatever.

But on a related note - there are a serious amount of bucks in virtual products now. Not only do I have steam but I have a bunch of audible.com books. But nobody allows transferring them; there should be a mechanism for transferring them. Period.

tacitus
03-15-2011, 06:03 AM
In the portal world - problem solving good - twitch based bad. I played acouple of portal mods - where the puzzles were twitch based and they were incredibly frustrating.

SilentScreams
03-15-2011, 06:05 AM
He thought about (and seems to have intended) about breaking the rules; he never actual took any real action like putting it on ebay or craigslist or whatever.

But on a related note - there are a serious amount of bucks in virtual products now. Not only do I have steam but I have a bunch of audible.com books. But nobody allows transferring them; there should be a mechanism for transferring them. Period.

I agree. If digital distribution is to be the future, then it can't be a step backwards.

Goronmon
03-15-2011, 06:28 AM
But if chocolate had some caveat that if I try to give it to somebody for a quarter I can never eat chocolate again, I'd expect some eyebrows to be raised.
Let's leave out useless analogies. We sign plenty of contracts in our life whether it's being an employee, taking out a loan, signing a lease, etc. Pretending that reading a short EULA (where most are extremely similar) is this unexpected hardship people are suddenly facing is a fairly ridiculous notion.

SilentScreams
03-15-2011, 06:35 AM
I have to wonder if anyone would be sticking up for the company here if it were anyone else but Valve.

Somehow I doubt it.

Kelegacy
03-15-2011, 09:48 AM
I would love there to be a court case where it was decided digital media had all the rights and options of physical. We are in a different age and digital rights are fucked. We need better consumer protection laws for digital media.

What steam would have effectively done was steal from this guy. Akin to breaking into your home and taking your gaming collection. That's scary, and I don't care what the EULA said.

MagGnome
03-15-2011, 01:41 PM

Aren't you one of the people who is super excited for Nintendo's store on the 3DS? Nintendo has a pretty draconian online system compared to Steam.

As for those talking about the superiority of physical media, many publishers are taking steps to block any sort of resale. EA is a prime example.

MagGnome
03-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Let's leave out useless analogies. We sign plenty of contracts in our life whether it's being an employee, taking out a loan, signing a lease, etc. Pretending that reading a short EULA (where most are extremely similar) is this unexpected hardship people are suddenly facing is a fairly ridiculous notion.

Short? Have you ever seen an EULA?

I have to wonder if anyone would be sticking up for the company here if it were anyone else but Valve.

Somehow I doubt it.

What if it was Blizzard? ;)

quidmonkey
03-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Business before entertainment. You belong in marketing, not in gaming.

EDIT: And segment who, gamers up for a challenge and pussies?

Uhh...okay. In this case, Valve listened to feedback and changed their game design. If that puts me in marketing, sure, hell, why not. In general, I don't think it's that simple. Plenty of hard games exist, plenty don't. If you want to go back to the glory NES days of old school gaming, be my guest - I think game design has evolved for the better. I made the marketing comment to note that those who want very hard games are a small subset of gamers. Pandering to their needs isn't the wisest decision.

violent
03-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Uhh...okay. In this case, Valve listened to feedback and changed their game design. If that puts me in marketing, sure, hell, why not. In general, I don't think it's that simple. Plenty of hard games exist, plenty don't. If you want to go back to the glory NES days of old school gaming, be my guest - I think game design has evolved for the better. I made the marketing comment to note that those who want very hard games are a small subset of gamers. Pandering to their needs isn't the wisest decision.

It's not about making games hard, it's about not making games so damned easy. 95% of games out are easy. Portal was a ray of hope now tainted by the masses that have lost the need for a challenge.

Generation ABXY
03-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Aren't you one of the people who is super excited for Nintendo's store on the 3DS? Nintendo has a pretty draconian online system compared to Steam.

There's a give and take there, Mags. In that case, I'm hoping to just get my hands on a number of games that are damn near impossible to find (at least, for a reasonable price) or that I'd have no way to play even if I could.

Given the choice, I go with physical media, though.

As for those talking about the superiority of physical media, many publishers are taking steps to block any sort of resale. EA is a prime example.

And I absolutely despise this. If you want to have some sort of added value for first-hand sales (like, say, free Day One DLC), I can accept it, but beyond that initial sale...

quidmonkey
03-15-2011, 03:17 PM
It's not about making games hard, it's about not making games so damned easy. 95% of games out are easy. Portal was a ray of hope now tainted by the masses that have lost the need for a challenge.

I see lots of games today with difficulty levels. Indeed, most blockbuster titles don't ship without one. I do agree that the bar has been lowered, sometimes for the worse, but I don't think checkpoints, tutorials, difficulty levels, and the various tweaks and enhancements are all such bad things. In the case of Portal 2, Valve listened to feedback and changed the game. Judging by what we've seen of the game so far, and given the developer's pedigree, I'm willing to bet it was for the better.

SilentScreams
03-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Games today are no easier than games of old. They're simply less tedious. Dying, for example, now no longer forces you to restart the whole game and redo stuff that you've already proven you can do.

We seem to be confusing making games less draconian with making games easier. Not the same thing.

x Returner x
03-15-2011, 03:30 PM
I see lots of games today with difficulty levels. Indeed, most blockbuster titles don't ship without one.

Difficulty levels are a joke all they do is up the damage, accuracy and the health of enemy AI. The AI doesnít do anything to actually increase the challenge. Increasing the stats above is a cheap an easy way to increase a false challenge. Of course doing it the right way would be very time consuming and expensive.

Most games are made with easy and normal in mind at least thatís what it feels like. Iíd rather see a game made with complex AI and bad accuracy on easy instead of reverse.

I do agree that the bar has been lowered, sometimes for the worse, but I don't think checkpoints, tutorials, difficulty levels, and the various tweaks and enhancements are all such bad things.

I would agree with this, I don't see anything wrong with adding such additions. Sadly most of the time its one sided and a dev will error on the side of easy to play it safe. Without doing anything compelling or creative for the more difficult modes.

Karak
03-15-2011, 03:44 PM
He'll be too busy making the live action Care Bears movie.

I thought Faster was his 1st movie out of his contract break?

quidmonkey
03-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Difficulty levels are a joke all they do is up the damage, accuracy and the health of enemy AI. The AI doesnít do anything to actually increase the challenge. Increasing the stats above is a cheap an easy way to increase a false challenge. Of course doing it the right way would be very time consuming and expensive.

Most games are made with easy and normal in mind at least thatís what it feels like. Iíd rather see a game made with complex AI and bad accuracy on easy instead of reverse.

How do you know the reverse isn't true? That Geerz, Halo & CoD weren't designed for Hardcore mode and then enemy's health lessened, etc? Becaused it has often seemed to me that those games were designed around Hard mode (not Very Hard) and then made easier.

x Returner x
03-15-2011, 04:25 PM
How do you know the reverse isn't true? That Geerz, Halo & CoD weren't designed for Hardcore mode and then enemy's health lessened, etc? Becaused it has often seemed to me that those games were designed around Hard mode (not Very Hard) and then made easier.

Well CoD I know because I worked at Treyarch. Just watching the AI move around in Gears and Halo you can clearly see that they are not complex on any setting.

SilentScreams
03-15-2011, 04:27 PM
I had a harder time completing Halo on legendary than I did on normal...it might not be perfect, but it accomplishes the task of increasing difficulty, and it's a lot more practical than producing three or four different AI scripts.

Kelegacy
03-15-2011, 04:55 PM

This is why I hope there is a landmark lawsuit that makes these corporate assholes stop telling us what we can do with the products we just purchase. Consumers need more protection in this awful environ.

That's assuming the corporations didn't win, which by the way things have been going lately, they probably would.

quidmonkey
03-15-2011, 06:20 PM
I had a harder time completing Halo on legendary than I did on normal...it might not be perfect, but it accomplishes the task of increasing difficulty, and it's a lot more practical than producing three or four different AI scripts.

Right. Smarter enemies would be great, but it's not market reasons that's keeping them at bay: it's that nobody's done it yet. More enemies, more/less health, uncanceled moves, no hitstun, better aim, etc. are all solid attempts for now.

pomeroy
03-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Portal was a ray of hope now tainted by the masses that have lost the need for a challenge.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w53/pomeroy_bucket/2k4a7a43d7f8.jpg