PDA

View Full Version : About $#@#ing time!

Serapth
03-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Google has added a new feature to its search engine that allows users to block sites from their search results.

CAPTIONBy Karen Bleier, AFP/Getty Images

The search giant has complete details on its official blog.

Here's how it works: When browsing search results, users will see an option to block all results next to "Cached" and "Similar."Then the listing disappears, and users can "Manage blocked sites" or "Undo." Only users with a Google account can do this.

After blocking a site, users can click "Manage blocked sites" to manually enter websites they want Google to block. (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2011/03/google-gives-users-more-power/1)

Sweet, and about time!

Buh-fucking-bye expert-exchange and your shady fucking search engine exploitation. Your business model just went down in flames, and I for one, enjoy that!

Vandabo
03-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Heh, this is awesome. Just the other day I was trying to wade through a bunch of expert exchange results to find something useful about a windows server issue. Like trying to find a diamond in the rough, but now we can tell the rough to fuck off.

aVaKus
03-11-2011, 12:27 PM
... tell the rough to fuck off.

This should be a new slogan. :)

Spectre-7
03-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Heh, this is awesome. Just the other day I was trying to wade through a bunch of expert exchange results to find something useful about a windows server issue. Like trying to find a diamond in the rough, but now we can tell the rough to fuck off.

If you're ever having trouble sorting through a search again, you can also refine your search with a minus (-). For instance, if I want results for John Adams and it keeps coming up with John Quincy Adams instead, I can search for john adams -quincy to narrow it down. If the problem is a specific domain, let's say I want to find out something about Tony Danza but TMZ is clogging up all the result, I can search for tony danza -site:tmz.com and it won't be a problem any longer.

wyeast
03-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Suck it, SEO cheats!

Spectre - yeah, you can do that, but it's awfully nice to be able to just wholesale block sites that repeatedly come up an annoy the crap out of your search results.

Like all of goddamn .info needs to eat a dick. :mad:

Vandabo
03-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the quick Google-fu lesson. I've never really taken the time to learn all those advanced search techniques, even though I know that they can really effectively tailor the results.

Spectre-7
03-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Spectre - yeah, you can do that, but it's awfully nice to be able to just wholesale block sites that repeatedly come up an annoy the crap out of your search results.

I completely agree. I'm really glad Google has added this... I just thought I'd share a versatile tool that I figured some folks might not be aware of. :)

Serapth
03-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the quick Google-fu lesson. I've never really taken the time to learn all those advanced search techniques, even though I know that they can really effectively tailor the results.

One part of what spectre said you should take note of is the site:, super powerful feature. He used it in the negative, but you can do the opposite. For example, if I was wanting to search CoG for me and only me, I can do 'Serapth site:colonyofgamers.com' and it will limit the search to the indexed page of just that site. Often, Google is a better search than the sites built in searches.

Vandabo
03-11-2011, 01:41 PM
One part of what spectre said you should take note of is the site:, super powerful feature. He used it in the negative, but you can do the opposite. For example, if I was wanting to search CoG for me and only me, I can do 'Serapth site:colonyofgamers.com' and it will limit the search to the indexed page of just that site. Often, Google is a better search than the sites built in searches.

That seems like a good way to search forums that require you to be registered to use the built in search. Thanks for the tip.

biosc1
03-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Good book I found a while ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Hacking-Penetration-Testers-Johnny/dp/1597491764/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299890559&sr=8-1

ps..."About #$#%% time" happened a few weeks ago ;)

Banacek
03-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Oh no, what are all the SEO scammers going to do now with all that content they stole? Good riddance.

Scull
03-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Google has added a new feature to its search engine that allows users to block sites from their search results.

CAPTIONBy Karen Bleier, AFP/Getty Images

The search giant has complete details on its official blog.

Here's how it works: When browsing search results, users will see an option to block all results next to "Cached" and "Similar."Then the listing disappears, and users can "Manage blocked sites" or "Undo." Only users with a Google account can do this.

After blocking a site, users can click "Manage blocked sites" to manually enter websites they want Google to block. (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2011/03/google-gives-users-more-power/1)

Sweet, and about time!

Buh-fucking-bye expert-exchange and your shady fucking search engine exploitation. Your business model just went down in flames, and I for one, enjoy that!
The very first thing I thought about when I saw this was killing off Expert-Exchange. Goodbye and good riddance. :)

EDIT: It appears that this isn't available for me yet :(

biosc1
03-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Try this?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nolijncfnkgaikbjbdaogikpmpbdcdef

Wraith
03-11-2011, 08:43 PM
ps..."About #$#%% time" happened a few weeks ago ;)They added it for Google Chrome (via the extension biosc1 linked) a few weeks ago (or earlier, but that's when I heard about it (http://consumerist.com/2011/02/google-chromes-new-personal-blocklist-keeps-searches-from-content-farms.html)), but now they're rolling it out to other browsers.

Scull
03-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Ah, see I don't use Chrome as my primary browser. That would be why it's not there yet.

Banacek
03-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Chrome keeps doing well in the pwn2own contests, so hopefully more people start using it.

Serapth
03-12-2011, 10:49 AM
I use chrome almost exclusively, but I am hesitant to use extensions... I like the stability, thank you very much.

biosc1
03-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Only extensions I use are the goo.gl shortener, send with gmail (clicking it will send the link you are on to gmail), and this site blocker.

DiBiddilyBop
03-12-2011, 12:57 PM

I just learned a month back how to view experts exchange results without paying to join the site. Cocktease me no more with your wealth of knowledge!

Wraith
03-12-2011, 01:32 PM
I just learned a month back how to view experts exchange results without paying to join the site. Cocktease me no more with your wealth of knowledge!You mean "scroll down"?

DiBiddilyBop
03-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Am I crazy in thinking that experts exchange generally has the answers obscured when you follow a google link?

Banacek
03-13-2011, 12:23 AM
Am I crazy in thinking that experts exchange generally has the answers obscured when you follow a google link?

The old way to find the solution was to click 'cached' when the link came up on Google and scroll down. Nowadays you can usually just scroll down and the answers are right there. Then again, you get much better answers at Stack Overflow (http://stackoverflow.com/), so I would just search there.

Serapth
03-13-2011, 09:18 AM

Even more frustrating is realizing that the majority of times there actually isn't an answer, just people asking for clarification.

StackOverflow is so vastly superior to experts exchange, but when you are fighting a problem for days and you think EE might have the answer that 99,030 other Google results didn't, it gets a bit frustrating!