PDA

View Full Version : 3DS Launch Lineup Announced

DoctorFinger
02-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Nintendo has officially revealed the launch lineup for the 3DS. The new handheld will launch with three titles from Nintendo themselves...

Pilotwings Resort
Steel Diver
Nintendogs + cats

...plus a dozen third party titles.

Super Street Fighter IV
The Sims 3
Madden NFL
Pro Evo Soccer 2011 3D
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Ridge Racer 3D
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Bust-A-Move Universe
Samural Warriors: Chronicles
Asphalt 3D
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

The MSRP for the games will be $39.99, while the system itself will be $249.99 when it launches on March 27.

Generation ABXY
02-23-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm certainly eyeing Pilotwings Resort, and possibly even Samurai Warriors: Chronicles... but I may just wait on the 3DS until after they get the online store up and running (later in the year, I think they said).

frederec
02-23-2011, 11:35 AM
I may get Bust a Move to tide me over until Devil Survivor comes out three months later, but nothing else on that list really tempts me. I should probably hold off until then, but I've never actually bought a console at launch before (the Wii was the closest, about a month after launch), and I'm a little afraid that there may be shortages by the time I want it.

Gorvi
02-23-2011, 11:37 AM
I really want Pilotwings, but I'm waiting a bit on the 3DS. Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars actually looks surprisingly interesting if I'm remembering it correctly. It looks a lot like Metal Gear Ac!d without the cards.

Blue
02-23-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm really thinking of picking up a 3DS but this isn't making me want one at launch. Which I suppose is good...

aVaKus
02-23-2011, 12:07 PM
I only have Pilotwings reserved with mine so far. I'm gonna have to look into Ghost Recon, I didn't even know it was a launch title.

hunterx280
02-23-2011, 01:10 PM
The only thing I would remotely be interested in is Pilotwings Resort and Super Street Fighter IV. Other than that, I think this list is pretty mediocre. I think I'll wait a year and see what happens like I did with the DS Lite.

MosBen
02-23-2011, 01:33 PM
I really wish I had more occassion to use mass transit or travel more by plane. As it is, I just don't have occassion to need a portable console because when I'm home I just play on one of the three consoles or PC that I've got, so I can't think of a good reason why I'd buy a portable system, cool though it may seem.

I had a PSP until I lost it recently, but I ended up just using it to play videos off the memory stick when I go on vacation. Once I pick up a tablet PC (as soon as some of these 10 inch Honeycombs start coming out), I won't miss that at all.

J Arcane
02-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Woo. A bunch of sequels and remakes. That sounds about right for a console chasing the latest Hollywood gimmick.

OldJadedGamer
02-23-2011, 02:20 PM
I'll go with Ridge Racer... how can you have a launch system without Ridge Racer????

TheFlyingOrc
02-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Super Monkey Ball business strategy: Make sure to come out at system launches, be one of those games that everyone says "Eh, why not?"

quidmonkey
02-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Super Monkey Ball business strategy: Make sure to come out at system launches, be one of those games that everyone says "Eh, why not?"

So true. Mein Gott, Wii, DS & iApp versions all terrible.

TheFlyingOrc
02-23-2011, 02:53 PM
So true. Mein Gott, Wii, DS & iApp versions all terrible.

Both Gamecube ones are the hotness, though.

MachEnergy
02-23-2011, 02:54 PM

Soooooooooooooo true. I felt burned by the shoddy Wii release, yet I'm so very tempted by this one. Why? I haven't really loved the series since the Gamecube. Why do I keep chasing that memory??? Yet I sit here, looking for something more than just Street Fighter, and I keep looking at Super Monkey Ball with an "eh, why not?" attitude. There's gotta be a psychosis that describes my behavior.

Widgetcraft
02-23-2011, 03:11 PM
I'll probably be going with Pilotwings and Monkey Ball. I'm thinking of picking up a DS title to go with it too, like Pokemon or Radiant Historia. My DS Phat has a shitty backlight, so I haven't played DS games in a long time; since I got my PSP, really.

ElektroDragon
02-23-2011, 05:00 PM
To hell with it, I'm waiting for the NGP/PSP2. But on the other hand.... Bust a Move and Super Monkey Ball... so tempting. I think I can resist.

ElektroDragon
02-23-2011, 05:01 PM

Sadly, they still don't have Super Monkey Ball on the PS3 or 360. I don't get it. I LOVED these games on Xbox 1 and Gamecube. MONKEEEEEE!

quidmonkey
02-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Both Gamecube ones are the hotness, though.

I still remember when the first came out at launch. We played non-stop the first two weeks...then Melee came out. What happened to this series?

Mike Kelehan
02-23-2011, 05:24 PM
I still remember when the first came out at launch. We played non-stop the first two weeks...then Melee came out. What happened to this series?

Each one tried to do something different, be it add an adventure mode or require motion controls or even add an unnecessary jump function. The hard-as-balls Monkey Ball we knew seems to be gone.

Suave Peanut
02-23-2011, 05:42 PM
PilotWings and maybe Monkey Ball... then, I wait for Zelda.

Rune_74
02-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Pretty sub par list of games there...or is it just me?

frederec
02-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Pretty sub par list of games there...or is it just me?

I've never known a console to launch with any games that really interested me. I know a lot of people rave about the Dreamcast launch, but none of those games were my style. I usually expect the good games to start in force around a year after a console is released.

I'm honestly surprised that a game is coming for it within three months that I really want. What makes it less surprising is that it's a port.

OldJadedGamer
02-23-2011, 08:35 PM
I've never known a console to launch with any games that really interested me. I know a lot of people rave about the Dreamcast launch, but none of those games were my style. I usually expect the good games to start in force around a year after a console is released.

I'm honestly surprised that a game is coming for it within three months that I really want. What makes it less surprising is that it's a port.

I've bought every system the second they were released in whatever region they were first launched in (minus the PS3 due to price and lack of 1080i support) and the Dreamcast was the only previous system where I didn't have an instant "go-to" title since Sonic wasn't there on launch day.

With 3DS, I'm in the same boat... nothing really interesting.

frederec
02-23-2011, 08:48 PM
I've bought every system the second they were released in whatever region they were first launched in (minus the PS3 due to price and lack of 1080i support) and the Dreamcast was the only previous system where I didn't have an instant "go-to" title since Sonic wasn't there on launch day.

That's pretty impressive. I don't even know what good games were out for the Jaguar, 3DO, and Turbografx-16, much less what good launch games there were on those systems, or the Intellivision or the Atari 2600.

RandoM51
02-23-2011, 09:10 PM
I like monkeyball if there are 3 other people in the room with me playing the game. Doesn't seem much point by yourself. I suppose they're aware of it, making it a good launch title to sell multiple 3DS units instead of just one, assuming it delivers the monkeyball goodness via adhoc networking.

No system sellers in that launch lineup for me.

Widgetcraft
02-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Here is the way I see it: There will be games I will want to play within this year. When the DS launched, it was impossible to find for like a year and a half. There will not be a price drop within that time. May as well buy it now. And there is always the chance that people could go apeshit and start buying these things for absurd prices, in which case I will flip it.

JayK47
02-23-2011, 09:34 PM
If Tetris was in there I might care.

TheFlyingOrc
02-23-2011, 09:36 PM
I am a prophet. Almost everyone in the thread is listing 1 game and then Super Monkey Ball. Something about the series makes it the exact right game to "also" get at launch, along with whatever game you really want. It's some kind of wizardry.

Darkmatter
02-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Very meh launch list. Pwings is the only thing that interests me and I hear it doesn't even have my favorite event. Skydiving! :(

No Mario, Castlevania, Metroid, Zelda... but we got NINTENDOGS! (and cats) ........ yea.....

JayVe
02-23-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm in on Launch day for at least Street Fighter IV.

No sense in delaying the purchase until later in the year. There isn't going to be a price drop anytime soon, since it is the ONLY 3D capable handheld, so might as well get it sooner rather than later.

Not too sure on other games. I'll get Pokemon black/white for sure, and probably another 3DS game just to check out the effect. Any suggestions for the 2nd 3DS title?

I like how Nintendo is giving 3rd parties room to breathe, instead of smothering them with Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, and Zelda. Yet at the same times, the greedy impatient kid in me wants all those titles NOW, and if they were available at launch, I wouldn't pick up any 3rd party titles. :D

OldJadedGamer
02-23-2011, 10:05 PM
That's pretty impressive. I don't even know what good games were out for the Jaguar, 3DO, and Turbografx-16, much less what good launch games there were on those systems, or the Intellivision or the Atari 2600.

That was a time when systems came with games and you didn't need to buy them at launch to have something to play.

Here is the way I see it: There will be games I will want to play within this year. When the DS launched, it was impossible to find for like a year and a half. There will not be a price drop within that time. May as well buy it now. And there is always the chance that people could go apeshit and start buying these things for absurd prices, in which case I will flip it.

Or buy it from Amazon and if you don't like it, just return it for a refund and say the 3D hurts your eyes.

Urizen
02-24-2011, 12:20 AM
Disappointing launch, but with Devil Survivor, Rayman and RE coming out soon after launch, I'm thinking I might bite.

One thing I really like about the PSP2 is the rear touchpad. I know Nintendo finalized their design some time ago, but I found myself hoping Nintendo would incorporate that into the 3DS.

I definitely want to be able to try out all the launch titles at some kiosk or something before dropping my cash. Maybe Nintendo might finally have demoes?

Wilkz07
02-24-2011, 06:29 AM
Ghost Recon and Pilotwings I'd get but may wait on a 3DS for awhile knowing Nintendo's 'launch a portable, months later release lite or xl versions'

Mike Kelehan
02-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Ghost Recon and Pilotwings I'd get but may wait on a 3DS for awhile knowing Nintendo's 'launch a portable, months later release lite or xl versions'

Then you will NEVER BUY HARDWARE. There is ALWAYS a better version down the line.

BLeeP
02-24-2011, 07:22 AM
Then you will NEVER BUY HARDWARE. There is ALWAYS a better version down the line.

This is the truth. Although, honestly, I don't know how drastic any hardware revisions for the 3DS could be. Nintendo has already stated that given the nature of the tech they can not change up the screens. Thus, they will not do a "lite" model.

boratika
02-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars actually looks surprisingly interesting if I'm remembering it correctly. It looks a lot like Metal Gear Ac!d without the cards.

I'm cautiously excited about this one. My excitement is tempered by Ubi's less than awesome track record regarding the... the finished being madeness of previous of their launch titles.

But, I do want to excited about this a) I love turn based strategy and b) because of Julian Gallop's (X-COM, Rebelstar, Lasersquad) involvement.

Not too sure on other games. I'll get Pokemon black/white for sure, and probably another 3DS game just to check out the effect. Any suggestions for the 2nd 3DS title?

I'd say keep an eye on Shadow wars.

violent
02-24-2011, 08:55 AM
I may not need to hold my preorder if that is a final list. I may just wait until the library grows a bit more.

ReaverX
02-24-2011, 09:37 AM
I was pretty excited for the system, but now after hearing from people that have actually gotten their hands on it and seeing the launch list, my jets have cooled significantly. SSF4 is the only thing that I kind of want for the 3D, even though I own 3 versions of the game already.

I know that what Heretic Machine said is going to happen though. Within a year something cool is going to come out and you won't be able to find the damn things anywhere.

MagGnome
02-24-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm certainly eyeing Pilotwings Resort, and possibly even Samurai Warriors: Chronicles... but I may just wait on the 3DS until after they get the online store up and running (later in the year, I think they said).

I don't see why anyone would buy one right now, especially with that launch lineup. Pilotwings is the only one that looks all that interesting, IMHO, and I certainly wouldn't consider it a system seller.

The 3DS is kind of a neat concept, but I'd rather spend that money on an iPad, a PS3, more PC games, or simply save it. The system isn't really grabbing me all that much. The possibilities of the online store excite me more than the actual 3DS games, but Nintendo's history with online has me hesitant to get very excited about that.

On another note, this comes out on my sister's birthday. For some reason that stood out to me.

MagGnome
02-24-2011, 09:53 AM

Here's a concept that might blow your mind (and the minds of a few others who have posted in this thread):

If there isn't a title on the system that really interests you, then don't buy it. :p

Shocking stuff, I know!

Also, since when was Sonic Adventures not a launch title for the Dreamcast? Do you import all of your systems from Japan or something?

Shjinta
02-24-2011, 10:15 AM
I really want one. At the same time i want to play old GBA games.. So I might just grab a normal DS when they drop in price.

J Arcane
02-24-2011, 11:29 AM
I've very rapidly come around to this line of thinking, once I got into smartphones.

You guys think Nintendo is bad, my first Android phone is already completely obsolete within less than a year, and the second one is on it's way.

I've realized that, much like PCs, these days with any electronics, you just have to buy what you need now, and not worry about the rest, or you'll never buy anything ever.

Widgetcraft
02-24-2011, 11:52 AM
It's going to have a fairly strong library six months after launch, and if this were the original DS, you still wouldn't be able to easily buy one six months after launch. I'd like to be able to play the games I want when they do come out, instead of going on friggin Wal-mart safari every few days and fighting with soccer moms for the three 3DS systems they get in every week.

Bone
02-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Soooooooooooooo true. I felt burned by the shoddy Wii release, yet I'm so very tempted by this one. Why? I haven't really loved the series since the Gamecube. Why do I keep chasing that memory??? Yep. The ones on Gamecube had such perfect controls, that Nintendo polish where you could play instantly but not master it for years. I was like a Zen master of Monkey Ball. Every iteration since SMB2 hasn't come close. God I loved playing Monkey Target.

OldJadedGamer
02-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Here's a concept that might blow your mind (and the minds of a few others who have posted in this thread):

If there isn't a title on the system that really interests you, then don't buy it. :p

Shocking stuff, I know!

Also, since when was Sonic Adventures not a launch title for the Dreamcast? Do you import all of your systems from Japan or something?

I buy them when they come out. If that is the US version, I buy that. If it's the Japanese version I buy that. I wasn't going to wait a year to play the Dreamcast so I bought a Japanese launch unit. I had a job where I was required to travel to Japan many times a year a while back and made a few friends over there so I can keep up and get JPN stuff a few days after launch. I even personally waited in line in Japan for the GBA launch. That was super fun.

No matter the game line up... I can't *not* get a launch system. I can't help it, I'm a gamer through and through and need to have it. I have a problem, I fully accept it but I will be there at launch with a smile on my face. One of my all time favorite things, is opening the box on launch day and getting that new system smell. It's an addiction.

frederec
02-24-2011, 01:08 PM
No matter the game line up... I can't *not* get a launch system. I can't help it, I'm a gamer through and through and need to have it. I have a problem, I fully accept it but I will be there at launch with a smile on my face. One of my all time favorite things, is opening the box on launch day and getting that new system smell. It's an addiction.

Wait...it's an addiction? Crap. Since this will be my first launch purchase, does that mean I'll be hooked forever after too? I've already got a bit of an addictive/collecting personality. I guess it'll be all over after this.

OldJadedGamer
02-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Wait...it's an addiction? Crap. Since this will be my first launch purchase, does that mean I'll be hooked forever after too? I've already got a bit of an addictive/collecting personality. I guess it'll be all over after this.

Launch hype is very, very hard to ignore. Imagine if you were a heavy drinker... launch day would be like Mardi Gras.

violent
02-24-2011, 01:20 PM
I don't think I've ever bought a console at launch.

MagGnome
02-24-2011, 01:27 PM
I haven't either. I think the closest I've come was the GBA. Actually I may have bought one of those at launch, which is how I ended up with that crappy first gen one. What a piece of junk.

frederec
02-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Launch hype is very, very hard to ignore. Imagine if you were a heavy drinker... launch day would be like Mardi Gras.

Shit...I'm not much of a drinker at all, and I love Mardi Gras. I'm screwed...

violent
02-24-2011, 01:36 PM
I haven't either. I think the closest I've come was the GBA. Actually I may have bought one of those at launch, which is how I ended up with that crappy first gen one. What a piece of junk.

I actually have this preordered and even now Im strongly considering cancelling until it's further established. Unless they quickly become a commodity in which I may keep my place so I can pass it to someone else who really wants it.

JayVe
02-24-2011, 08:19 PM

In general, the time from a portable to its revision is two years, not 'months later'.

Have fun waiting.

JayVe
02-24-2011, 08:21 PM
The 3DS is kind of a neat concept, but I'd rather spend that money on an iPad...

Sorry Mags. :(

I really liked you too.

MagGnome
02-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Aww, now I'm sad. :(

JayVe
02-25-2011, 05:42 AM
Aww, now I'm sad. :(

S'kokay Mags. I can't stay mad at you long. :D Your gnomish charm always wins me over.

MagGnome
02-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Can I use my Gnomish charms to convince you to buy me a 3DS? ;)

JayVe
02-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Can I use my Gnomish charms to convince you to buy me a 3DS? ;)

You didn't tell me you are also a comedian! :eek:

MagGnome
02-25-2011, 12:52 PM
I wasn't kidding. -_-

JayVe
02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
I wasn't kidding. -_-

Oh...

Will you come to India to pick it up?

MagGnome
02-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Will you pay for my flight?

JayVe
02-28-2011, 02:53 AM
Will you pay for my flight?

Give a man an inch, and he'll want a free trip to India...

KamaItachi
02-28-2011, 05:10 AM
How many inches are you willing to give him?