PDA

View Full Version : Flash CS4 and ActionScript 3.0, need some advice.

Shieldmaiden
02-07-2011, 08:58 AM
I've got an opportunity to take a game design module this semester that sounds really interesting and will involve producing a game for assessment. The course lists "some animation or scripting experience" as a prequisite, which I have, but I'm extremely rusty. Having looked at the module handbook, the game will need to be produced using Flash CS4 and ActionScript 3.0.

Working on the assumption that I'm going to need to learn them from scratch, but I do have a solid grasp of the underlying principles and have a knack for picking these things up quickly, do you guys think it's going to be worth me taking this class? I'm waiting to hear back from the lecturer, but I'd appreciate a quick "Yeah, give it a shot" or "No, you don't stand a chance" from people in the know.

biosc1
02-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Yeah, give it a shot.

AS3 is not hard to pick up especially if you know programming already. What you don't know, you can easily find with the wealth of online information available.

I find AS3 to be fairly readable, so you are able to translate online examples into what you need.

Shieldmaiden
02-07-2011, 03:40 PM
I went to the class to check it out. It's a tiny class (there were supposed to be ten people there, only five showed up) and by the reactions of the other people in class to the material, my years-old Flash experience and basic grasp of programming fundamentals puts me a good way ahead of everyone else who was there. I enjoyed it so much that I'm considering shifting the focus of my degree.