PDA

View Full Version : Sony Launching Playstation Suite on Android

DoctorFinger
01-27-2011, 08:55 AM
So the PSP2 (or the NGP as they're calling it) was announced early this morning at the Sony conference in Japan. But what about that second anticipated announcement. the Playstation Phone?

At least for the moment it looks like we're not getting a dedicated PSPhone. Instead Sony is rolling out what they call the Playstation Suite for Android mobile devices.

The purpose of the suite is twofold. Firstly, it will let you purchase PSOne titles for play on your Android device, directly from the Playstation Store. Secondly, it's a set of tools to aid in the development of games for those devices, in particular Sony wants to up the quality of those games. Games developed with the aid of Playstation Suite will also be made available on the NGP.

Towards this end, Sony will also be laying down a set of hardware standards which will let manufacturers label their units Playstation Certified. Older phones & tablets can run the games, but a minimum of Android 2.3 or higher is required.

Look for the Playstation Suite and Playstation Certified devices later this year.

rein
01-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks for making me feel stupid for having an iPhone Sony! :mad:

:)

TheEpicOfTyler
01-27-2011, 09:36 AM
This is the coolest thing announced thus far for me. Initially I was down on the PSP2, but I've been warming up to it the more I think about it.

Iron Past
01-27-2011, 09:41 AM
This seems... smart. Letting the PS Suite games work on the NGP is pretty cool.

hunterx280
01-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Now I just want to know when the Nexus One will get 2.3. What the hell is taking so damn long?

Dukefrukem
01-27-2011, 09:48 AM
So I can play PSOne games on my Incredible? Awesome.

Kelegacy
01-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Super awesome. Wonder how the controls will be.

TheEpicOfTyler
01-27-2011, 09:58 AM
I've been recently thinking about picking up a used PSP to play rpg's on the go, but if I can do it on the Evo I will soon be an owner of. Much better.

frederec
01-27-2011, 10:02 AM
I've been interested in getting an Android phone for a little bit now, and this just makes it better. Also makes me glad that I'm stuck in a contract until the end of this year, if that means we'll be more likely to have "Playstation certified phones" by the time I'm in the market for it.

JayVe
01-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Woah! What?

This is probably the best thing Sony could do... by encouraging other phone makers to make 'Playstation-Certified' phones.

I didn't think they would do it. I called this approach months ago, but never, ever thought Sony would do it.

Wow.

I'm completely stunned.

Squidbot
01-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Oh excellent news! Or is it? My bank thinks this is awful news.

OldJadedGamer
01-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Very smart business decision. Wonder if all third parties are on board too and if we are going to see the same restrictions on games as we have with them appearing on the PSN.

rein
01-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Very smart business decision. Wonder if all third parties are on board too and if we are going to see the same restrictions on games as we have with them appearing on the PSN.

You can't do it can you? You can't give Sony a compliment without a negative follow up comment. It's just not in you. :p

Siraris
01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Finger: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/26/sony-ericsson-xperia-play-playstation-phone-preview/

MagGnome
01-27-2011, 12:26 PM
This is great news for Android users!

OldJadedGamer
01-27-2011, 12:28 PM
You can't do it can you? You can't give Sony a compliment without a negative follow up comment. It's just not in you. :p

It's not that at all. I remember people getting shit excited about this on PSN then we saw all kinds of great titles being released in Japan and nothing in the US store and every excuse in the world was giving with licensing problems being the number 1 issue. Saying you will have these games and them appearing are two different things as we've seen in the past.

But no, I think Sony going third party is great news ;)

JayVe
01-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Well, it turns out I won't be able to make it to Mobile World Conference in Barcelona after all. :(

I wanted some hands-on time with the phone... even though it suffers from the dreaded 'Oreo effect'.

pronounconnoun
01-27-2011, 12:48 PM
This is great news for Android users!

Stupid Blackberry. Nothing cool ever comes out for it and I have seven months until I can get a new phone.

MagGnome
01-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Well you do have an ipad. :p

J Arcane
01-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Basically, this is Sony finding a way to take EVERYONE on. Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple, all of them in one swoop.

It also gives them an excuse to get psx4droid pulled from the Market.

JayVe
01-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Basically, this is Sony finding a way to take EVERYONE on. Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple, all of them in one swoop.
Cause we all know how well fighting on multiple fronts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-front_war) goes.

Sony did this with the launch of the PSP. They billed it as an iPod killer, a GameBoy killer, and the Walkman of the 21st Century!

I don't know why you would want to directly engage with industry giants in the same red ocean... instead of making new uncontested markets.

Don't get me wrong, I think this move for cellphone gaming is long overdue. I also don't think it is a direct assault on Microsoft, Google and Apple. I think this approach is actually quite clever as it enlists other phone makers to adopt your standard. With enough publisher and developer support, phone makers would be foolish to not make their handsets PlayStation Certified.

Rather than trying to take-on Microsoft, Apple and Nintendo, this seems more like a banner of alliance for game makers and handset manufacturers. A rallying point for game energies to be focused. This may even be the closest thing to an 'open console' as we'll get, where a consumer can pick a console from multiple manufacturers and still be ensured their games will work.

Kelegacy
01-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Stupid Blackberry. Nothing cool ever comes out for it and I have seven months until I can get a new phone.

I got a blackberry in november. Luckily I was able to switch it out for a droid a couple weeks later. I think blackberries are going to be extinct soon if they don't evolve.

Gorvi
01-27-2011, 02:02 PM
I see this as them throwing their weight behind the Android platform, and as a bonus, getting small games for the PSP2 as a small added bonus.

JayVe
01-27-2011, 02:04 PM
I got a blackberry in november. Luckily I was able to switch it out for a droid a couple weeks later. I think blackberries are going to be extinct soon if they don't evolve.

You betcha. They are a dying breed.

OldJadedGamer
01-27-2011, 02:11 PM

Most people I know with Blackberries like them because they can type super fast on them and need them for work. The touch screen really isn't as fast as a blackberry. I think Blackberries will work more businesses and iPhone/Android will work more for consumers.

Suave Peanut
01-27-2011, 02:14 PM
I upgraded from BlackBerry to Android last month and am still amazed at how much I was missing out on. Now, if only I had picked a device that wasn't stuck with 2.1...

Vanthar
01-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Most people I know with Blackberries like them because they can type super fast on them and need them for work. The touch screen really isn't as fast as a blackberry. I think Blackberries will work more businesses and iPhone/Android will work more for consumers.

I'd buy the battery life argument more than this. I can swype at roughly equivalent speeds, if not faster, than my old blackberry. There are also a number of android phones with keypads.

There does still seem to be some perception that BB is the business phone.

MagGnome
01-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Swype is such a pain in the ass. The default keyboard is worse, but sometimes I really miss a hard keyboard.

Jackel
01-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Swype is such a pain in the ass. The default keyboard is worse, but sometimes I really miss a hard keyboard.

Agreed. Another reason I love my G2. The hardware keyboard is just so much easier to type with than either swype or stock keyboard.

MagGnome
01-27-2011, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't mind swype nearly as much if it worked better and I could turn off that ridiculous hidden word reminder.

JayVe
01-27-2011, 07:57 PM
I like real keyboards too.

I have to admit, Blackberry makes some fine portrait oriented keyboards. I wish they would get with the game and come out with a new OS. Their PlayBook looks nice.

PathMaster
01-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Ah, yes. Between a Netflix app and PSOne games, my Droid X with its huge screen will be awesome!!!

Theonar
01-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Sweet, I'll be getting whichever Andriod phone is the latest in March, when my upgrade is due. I look forward to buying the Legacy of Kain games again :P

Widgetcraft
01-28-2011, 06:38 AM
I don't understand what they're going to do about the L2/R2 buttons on that Erikson. Why not just make some smaller buttons towards the center of the device, beside the other triggers? What is going to be the substitute input on this thing? On the PSP it is the analog nub, will the touch pad be the substitute?

I'm guessing the assholes who designed the PSP are working on that thing, since they basically made the same mistakes: Making a sort of Playstation controller, obviously missing certain inputs. Must have gotten a competent crew for the NGP.

Iron Past
01-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Actually, this is an Erikson joint. The only thing Sony did was let them use the name (and implement PlayStation Suite). They had nothing to do with design, hardware, anything.