PDA

View Full Version : Dirtiest Hotels for 2011

Sandman
01-25-2011, 02:44 PM
http://www.tripadvisor.com/DirtyHotels

Anyone stayed at any of these places? I hope not.

#1. Grand Resort Hotel & Convention Center - Pigeon Forge, Tennessee

"If you are looking for a hotel with chewing tobacco spit oozing down the halls and corridors; spiders actively making webs in every corner of your room; carpeting so greasy and dirty you wouldn't want to sit your luggage down - let alone walk around barefoot...... by all means, stay at The Grand Resort."

#2. Jack London Inn - Oakland, California

"The rooms displayed a level of filth and discomfort that mere neglect could never produce. The parking lot resembled a post apocalyptic junk yard. The halls reeked of cigarette smoke, body odor, and failure."

The rest of the list is at the link, thankfully I've never stayed at these places. Also, I <3 Trip Advisor, one of the best vacation planning tools on the web.

evilgoodwin
01-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Some friends of mine stayed at a hotel on Sunset Blvd. I think it was called the Hollywood Stars Inn.

The TV was bolted to a tiny metal stand (which isn't odd, but the picture made me laugh), the couch was actually the back seat of a car, and there was blood all over the toilet paper. I'll see if I can find everything wrong with it, but they referred to it as "that hotel room where someone was raped and murdered."

fitbabits
01-25-2011, 03:18 PM
I *think* I stayed in the Jack London Inn. It's worse than the description.

Sandman
01-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Some friends of mine stayed at a hotel on Sunset Blvd. I think it was called the Hollywood Stars Inn.

The TV was bolted to a tiny metal stand (which isn't odd, but the picture made me laugh), the couch was actually the back seat of a car, and there was blood all over the toilet paper. I'll see if I can find everything wrong with it, but they referred to it as "that hotel room where someone was raped and murdered."

..... was it still an active crime scene when you checked into it?

National Kato
01-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Any Executive Suites in the southeast, especially the one that touches I-85 at the 400 exit in Atlanta. That is, unless you're looking to wake up with roaches crawling on the ceiling above you. Not two roaches, not four roaches. Seven roaches.

Hope you don't sleep with your mouth open.

biosc1
01-25-2011, 03:45 PM
mmm...the smell of failure.

Worst hotel I've stayed in was driving down to California. We stopped somewhere in Oregon and, after checking in, a motorcycle gang checked in and proceeded to party the rest of the night away. Cops kept showing up, people even tried to bust down my door...to the point that I put the couch in front of the door. Thankfully, the windows had bars already and must have been some sort of plexiglass because a beer bottle (or some form of bottle) bounced off it.

Classy place...can't recall the name of it, but it was just off the freeway. I was young and stupid.

Sandman
01-25-2011, 03:51 PM
mmm...the smell of failure.

Worst hotel I've stayed in was driving down to California. We stopped somewhere in Oregon and, after checking in, a motorcycle gang checked in and proceeded to party the rest of the night away. Cops kept showing up, people even tried to bust down my door...to the point that I put the couch in front of the door. Thankfully, the windows had bars already and must have been some sort of plexiglass because a beer bottle (or some form of bottle) bounced off it.

Classy place...can't recall the name of it, but it was just off the freeway. I was young and stupid.

I would have asked for some money back for that night.

I swear sometimes it's just better to pull off into a rest station and sleep in your car.

MagGnome
01-25-2011, 03:52 PM
I stayed in a really horrible hotel in Wyoming once. I'll type out the story when I get home.

Sandman
01-25-2011, 03:58 PM
I haven't had a really bad hotel stay that I can remember. Though these days I typically research reviews before booking and I haven't been on a trip that required me to stop half way or so and stay in a random interstate hotel in a while. I will say that I do know my two favorite hotels. #1) Southernmost Point Guest House in Key West, FL. Nice, historical home turned into a B&B...and even cheap in an expensive city too. #2) Best Western Jacksonville Beach, FL.....best ocean view I've ever had from a hotel.

Bone
01-25-2011, 04:01 PM
When I was very young, on road trips my buddies and I would stay at Econo Lodge, which we quickly shortened to "Ecno Lodge" (for the missing letter on one of their signs) and then "Ecto Lodge" (for the various unidentifiable fluids on their carpets/drapes/sheets). When you are 18 and poor, you pretty much will sleep anywhere if you are sufficiently inebriated.

carnage11
01-25-2011, 04:05 PM
A very memorable hotel I stayed at in Georgia once. I believe it was called The Stardust Lounge off of I-95. A girlfriend (at the time) and I stayed there once after driving back down to Florida from South Carolina. It was horrid. There were thousands of pubes stuck to the wall of the shower. There was, what appeared to be, blood all over the sheets and comforter. There were, again, what appeared to be, bullet holes in the walls and ceiling. There were bugs of all varieties all over. We had, thankfully, brought our own pillows and blanket, so we slept on the blanket on top of the bed with our own pillows.

Maybe you've seen the place Sandman.

Bone
01-25-2011, 04:06 PM
I wonder, when the cleaning crew sees the blood in these places, if they just quit, or their management accepts "Fuck THAT" as a reasonable excuse not to address the situation.

Sandman
01-25-2011, 04:11 PM
A very memorable hotel I stayed at in Georgia once. I believe it was called The Stardust Lounge off of I-95. A girlfriend (at the time) and I stayed there once after driving back down to Florida from South Carolina. It was horrid. There were thousands of pubes stuck to the wall of the shower. There was, what appeared to be, blood all over the sheets and comforter. There were, again, what appeared to be, bullet holes in the walls and ceiling. There were bugs of all varieties all over. We had, thankfully, brought our own pillows and blanket, so we slept on the blanket on top of the bed with our own pillows.

Maybe you've seen the place Sandman.

It would have to be the Stardust Motel in Woodbine, GA...can't say I've been there. Farthest north I've been on 95 is Jacksonville, FL. I take state roads to get to Savannah or Brunswick.

carnage11
01-25-2011, 04:21 PM
It would have to be the Stardust Motel in Woodbine, GA...can't say I've been there. Farthest north I've been on 95 is Jacksonville, FL. I take state roads to get to Savannah or Brunswick.

Yeah that's the place. It was one of those situations where it was the middle of the night, we were both too tired to drive so we stopped at the first place we saw. HUGE mistake. :p

evilgoodwin
01-25-2011, 04:22 PM
..... was it still an active crime scene when you checked into it?

Oh, it wasn't me that was there because I wouldn't be caught dead in a hotel that shitty.

Actually, I take that back. That's probably where the police will find me, dead.

I'm trying to get the story out of the guy right now, but he's being resistant.

Wilkz07
01-25-2011, 04:48 PM
any bad ones in boston... specifically within range of pax ?

Sandman
01-25-2011, 05:05 PM
any bad ones in boston... specifically within range of pax ?

None in the top ten, but any large city like Boston is going to have a few nasty hotels....just look up Boston hotels on trip advisor.

MagGnome
01-25-2011, 06:13 PM
I searched Minneapolis hotels. The top-rated ones didn't surprise me in the least - pretty much all of the fancy hotels downtown are on there, with a few ranking a little lower than I would have expected, but nothing shocking nonetheless. The bottom of the barrel ones didn't surprise me either, and some of the reviews were hilarious...and gross!

TheEpicOfTyler
01-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Me and some friends went to Nashville for a few days and stayed at a Quality Inn on the bad side of town. The door had been either been kicked in or someone had hit it with their car, so while closed the bottom was pushed into the room and you could see outside and feel the air coming in.

The heater/air conditioner was either all the way on or all the way off. The thermostat was broken on it so once you chose to heat up your room (it was January) you had to remember to turn it off or when you came back your room would be 100 degrees.

There was a mysterious stain between the beds on the floor. The TV remote was held together by electrical tape, and the water was the hardest water I've ever seen ever. It was impossible to lather soap and take a proper shower.

The first thing I did when we got there was sit down on the bed and I was sitting upright against the headboard and was stretching and my hands were kind of pushing against the wall behind me slightly and one of them punched a hole in the wall from that slight pressure.

So bad. We were staying there for free though. I would've been very peeved to have spent any money staying at that place.

Here it is actually haha.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g55229-d98160-Reviews-Quality_Inn_Murfreesboro-Nashville_Tennessee.html

67% of travelers do not recommend

The first review is very telling, haha.

Superman's Dead
01-26-2011, 11:05 AM
There's a concert all the way across Los Angeles tomorrow night, and there's no way I could make it back home after 2 AM and a lot of whiskey, so I got a motel right up the street...in the middle of Long Beach.

I'm not going to look it up. I'm nervous. I'd rather just be surprised if it's really really nice and not go in expecting the worse. Cause I have no other options.