PDA

View Full Version : DC Online impressions?

Acidpoptart
01-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Anyone here play the DC Online beta and care to share their impressions? How different is it from other hero MMO's like City of Heroes?

I really have not been following it closely, but recently saw some videos and thought it looked pretty fun... But if I have learned anything over the years is that one should be wary of MMOs, especially at release...

jpublic
01-07-2011, 11:31 PM
I don't know if our NDA is released yet.

Knightsaber
01-08-2011, 12:27 AM
I think I can say I would rather just play with the Champions Online character creator.

Nura
01-08-2011, 01:23 AM
I rather enjoyed what i played of it. It's very button-mashy which i enjoyed instead of the regular "auto-attack with abilities"-combat system. Here you have abilities and combos which is nice imo.

As for the char creator, yeah it's pretty lackluster at the beginning, but that's because the game is about gathering new styles to make yourself look cooler as you gain levels.

I'll be buying it (actully i've preordered it already) and hopefully it'll last more then the free month.

J Arcane
01-08-2011, 01:51 AM
I rather enjoyed it, and look forward to seeing it in release form at some point. I didn't play much in late beta, but I'm told it was being cleaned up at a fairly rapid pace, though of course some bugs remained.

It's a great little game if you go into it expecting something a little different. It's sort of more like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance the MMO than a typical example of the genre, and if you take it for light action-RPG fare, I think it serves well.

It's also chockful of fanservice for DC fans, so that's a bonus as well.

Uatu
01-08-2011, 02:39 AM
I thought it just sucked.

Save your money people. The second Blizzard MMO will come eventually.

Deadend
01-08-2011, 02:50 AM
I rather enjoyed it, and look forward to seeing it in release form at some point. I didn't play much in late beta, but I'm told it was being cleaned up at a fairly rapid pace, though of course some bugs remained.

It's a great little game if you go into it expecting something a little different. It's sort of more like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance the MMO than a typical example of the genre, and if you take it for light action-RPG fare, I think it serves well.

It's also chockful of fanservice for DC fans, so that's a bonus as well.

Yeah, the game as of Jan 2nd (last time I played) compared to Dec 19th was crazy. The UI was much better and costume colors could be changed in-game.
It still wasn't perfect, but much better.

i really liked the way some of the weapon combos worked, the staff being great in that it tended to link moves into other moves quite well. Brawling wasn't that fun for me.

I also noticed that it was pretty easy to come up with several fun builds for each powerset which was nice. I do fear that there are some powers that are just BETTER.

It's an MMO worth playing because it really feels like an MMO that takes the existence of other MMOs into it's creation and ends up as a unique MMO that does not play like existing ones. It's a breath of fresh air in a genre that has become painfully cookie-cutter.
I think it stands up as a general game as being pretty fun. Depending on the powerset.

I didn't really like psychic that much, gadgets was fun, fire and ice felt basically the same, and I mostly used magic which had some fun combos and has a few different ways to play.

jpublic
01-08-2011, 03:27 AM
One thing it is good at is opening new features of the game as you level, and the gameplay style (combat) allows you to customize for your own prefs.

The character editor is lackluster, and there needs to be more content. I'd wait for a few in-game expansions first.

Wolvie
01-12-2011, 09:29 PM
My first impressions of this game when I heard of it during my New Years party was this: DC plus MMO? Meh.
Allow me to explain; I hate the DC universe. It's just vanilla ice cream in a black and white box to me. And I hate, hate, HATE MMO's. It's the grinding that gets me. Countless mind numbing hours staring at a screen as I grind my way to that next level. And after hours/days of work, I get that level, and my only reward is to do it again. No thank you game, I already have a job thank you very much.

Now I have watched one of the TotalHalibut video's and the CAC seems pretty good. Which pricked my interest. If the mindless sleep inducing grinding is not present I may check it out. So, is DCUO digital sleeping pills, or digital NoDoz?

Edit: watched more videos... good lord I'm actually thinking about biting on this one. Fastest turn around ever? I am so weak.

Farsight
01-13-2011, 06:07 AM
It's a good game. It's pretty, stable, well-designed and has a fun story.

The character customization opens up as you level and explore by unlocking numerous visual upgrades.

It doesn't hold your hand much (i'm still baffled by the chat window), and I don't know if it's anything new, but it should be good for at least a fun month.

Mung Beans
01-13-2011, 10:15 PM
I liked it!

If anything it proves that combat systems for MMO doesn't have to be the standard click and wait for a cup of tea, I just hope this pioneers the more action filled combat system, that involves little bit more skill then simply sitting there with one hand on the mouse and the other jacking off.

However the one thing I think it didn't do very well was the character customization, its very limited, and there really isn't too many power sets when you compare it with CoH and CO. And it was a bit of a dissappointment when I found out that they took out the ability to make a obese fat super hero, god dammit I wanted that bad! I wanted to make a Blob like tank, hopefully they bring that back soon.

Overall I think its worth trying, if anything its the combat that keeps me going back for more.