PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons & Dragons goes Downloadable with Daggerdale

DoctorFinger
12-22-2010, 08:58 AM
ZyL4tQewS50

They're making a Dungeons & Dragons downloadable game. My only question: why has it taken this long? We should have been up to our ears in D&D DLGs (say that 5 times fast) by now.

This spring we'll be getting Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale an action RPG featuring 4 player co-op. You and your team of fantasy stereotypes have to protect the Dalelands from an invasion by the evil Zhentarim. And boy, does that name bring back memories of my younger days.

Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale will be released on Xbox Live, the Playstation Network and PC this spring.

Gorvi
12-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Online co-op action RPG dungeon crawl? Yes, please. I'm not sure they could have come up with a more generic sounding name, though.

hunterx280
12-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Don't like the name but I'm definitely interested in the game. Now the question is, PC or 360?

Ravenlock
12-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Works for me.

While we're doing things we already should have done awhile ago, I'd like a downloadable version of the Milton Bradley Hero Quest game, on Steam, please.

Voodoo
12-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Hell yes! I'm in Ravenlock's party!!!

Squidbot
12-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Daggerdale is a region in the Forgotten Realms universe.

Karak
12-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Works for me.

While we're doing things we already should have done awhile ago, I'd like a downloadable version of the Milton Bradley Hero Quest game, on Steam, please.

THIS!
Or Talisman which was planned and being made then pulled.

Also this is nothing but Gauntlet 3d NEW EDITION. Which is fine with me:)

Daggerdale is a place in Forgoteen Realms...Which speaks volumes as to Forgotten Realms...originality:( Even back when it was first released it was already generic.

However, what little they showed looks promising. I can't count how many times I have played the Guantlet games. The Dreamcast versions spent almost a year in my Dreamcast being played for hours.

DoctorFinger
12-22-2010, 10:18 AM
I couldn't tell from the trailer if it was Gauntlet-like, or closer to the Raven-developed D&D games on the PS2, which were a lot of fun

Gorvi
12-22-2010, 10:23 AM
I couldn't tell from the trailer if it was Gauntlet-like, or closer to the Raven-developed D&D games on the PS2, which were a lot of fun
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for, something along the lines of the PS2 Baldur's Gate/Champions of Norrath games. Probably not with the same amount of production, but for the gameplay and loot system those would be good models to follow.

hunterx280
12-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for, something along the lines of the PS2 Baldur's Gate/Champions of Norrath games. Probably not with the same amount of production, but for the gameplay and loot system those would be good models to follow.

I liked those games but they always seemed too short. I hope this game has a decent amount of replay value and/or length.

Karak
12-22-2010, 11:07 AM

Since those later games were based on the core mechanic and style of Gauntlet and its later iterations they already all are based around the same thing. Same thing, different clothes.
Or more to the point, same game, different camera:)

Gorvi
12-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Since those later games were based on the core mechanic and style of Gauntlet and its later iterations they already all are based around the same thing. Same thing, different clothes.
Or more to the point, same game, different camera:)
Well, with that logic you could draw parallels between Wolfenstein 3D and Call of Duty. ;)

I think the jump in gameplay complexity would justify the more modern comparison, as even the more recent Gauntlet games were pretty shallow from what I played of them.

Hawkzombie
12-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Hell yes! I'm in Ravenlock's party!!!

And My Axe!!

Karak
12-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Well, with that logic you could draw parallels between Wolfenstein 3D and Call of Duty. ;)

I think the jump in gameplay complexity would justify the more modern comparison, as even the more recent Gauntlet games were pretty shallow from what I played of them.

I want to ignore that first sentence because that is indeed exactly what people do, even despite the massive jump in:
Pixels to poly's
Lack of vertical to vertical shooting
And so forth. So I agree with you on that part. That's obviously a bad comparison but it seems to me people are forgetting the changes Gauntlet made which are many. Or they didn't play them which is totally fine. They aren't everyone's bag.

This is 1 single thing changing between the later Gauntlets and the PS2 game(Champions) there is no reason to blow it out of proportion and pretend those other games, or this one is anything super duper huge and amazingly different.

Of course this game isn't out, so the jury is out and I am excited for it for sure.

But those other games are Gauntlet 3d. They changed the camera's in the later Gauntlet games to 3d or psuedo 3d and added a good deal of RPG style elements; skills, button combos, unlockable characters with totally new moves, central hubworlds, underworld, overworld, different powerups and much more. So "pretty shallow" is up to interpretation especially as the Champion games offered nothing new in the way of "deep gameplay" at all when compared to the later Gauntlets. They are both...shallow, if that's the term we are going to label them. I would label them both as pretty deep myself but I have probably logged 300+ hours in the Champions games and in excess of 1000 in the Gauntlet games. Hence my love for other games like them such as Fate/Torchlight.

Either way since I love them I won't worry about anyone suddenly wanting to call this game a 3d adventure, mini rpg, action platform, with emotion based gameplay. If that's what they end up calling it after playing it.

For me it is easier to just say it's just like Guantlet but better looking or with more shit:) Which to me is far more truthful, less PC bullshit, and gets to the heart of the gameplay without making up a subgenre to sound cool or validating my purchase. I need nothing more than Gauntlet but "AWESOMER" to make me want to get it.

I am just hoping this turns out to be totally fun. This and Fate/Torchlight rub me the right way for sure.

MagGnome
12-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Works for me.

I'm surprised that there aren't more boardgame and table top game conversions on Steam. It's really a missed opportunity IMHO.

This looks somewhat generic, but I'll definitely check it out if there's a demo or it receives good reviews.

Karak
12-22-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm surprised that there aren't more boardgame and table top game conversions on Steam. It's really a missed opportunity IMHO.

This looks somewhat generic, but I'll definitely check it out if there's a demo or it receives good reviews.

I agree.
I can count hundreds of games that Steam, XBLA should have. It is totally missed. The Talisman game would have been amazing, Dark Tower, Heroquest, Heroscape, Supremacy, and about 500 others I would love to see. The weird thing is, many of the games don't require a tremendous amount of developer assets. Which makes me think that the parent companies hold a good deal of them back.

MagGnome
12-22-2010, 01:23 PM
I want to see Carcassone, Settlers of Catan, and Ticket to Ride on Steam, among many others. They are already on XBLA, so why not port them?

Risk is one of the few board games I can think of on Steam, and it sucks.

iHap
12-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Fffffffffffffck yeah!

Karak
12-22-2010, 01:26 PM
I want to see Carcassone, Settlers of Catan, and Ticket to Ride on Steam, among many others. They are already on XBLA, so why not port them?

Risk is one of the few board games I can think of on Steam, and it sucks.

I was going to mention those but for some reason they didn't seem to make the digital jump correctly to me. I am not sure why but I get 0 enjoyment out of them compared to their awesome boardgame equivalents. I am not sure why at all.

EDIT: Actually I haven't checked out Ticket to Ride at all.

DoctorFinger
12-22-2010, 01:34 PM
I read once (and this may not be true) that the owners of many of the board/war games ask the moon for the rights to make a game off of their properties. They signed off of Catan and Carcassone on XBLA because that's a closed network and not terribly prone to piracy, whereas the PC...isn't. They're apparently scared that a digital version of their product would kill the hard media version.

Talanvor
12-22-2010, 01:35 PM
So is this going to play more like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance? I would like that, yes indeed.

MagGnome
12-22-2010, 01:40 PM
I was going to mention those but for some reason they didn't seem to make the digital jump correctly to me. I am not sure why but I get 0 enjoyment out of them compared to their awesome boardgame equivalents. I am not sure why at all.

EDIT: Actually I haven't checked out Ticket to Ride at all.

I really liked Carcasonne on XBLA. It's a shame I can no longer play it.

I haven't played the physical version though, so I have no idea how it compares.

I read once (and this may not be true) that the owners of many of the board/war games ask the moon for the rights to make a game off of their properties. They signed off of Catan and Carcassone on XBLA because that's a closed network and not terribly prone to piracy, whereas the PC...isn't. They're apparently scared that a digital version of their product would kill the hard media version.

I can sort of understand that, but I don't think they have to worry. The hard versions will always beat the digital ones, IMHO, as there is nothing like playing a physical board game with friends. I only want the digital ones so I can play when I'm at home by myself.

Deadend
12-22-2010, 02:12 PM

It's the reason why Wizards of the Coast canned a whole bunch of their online D&D tools like the 3D mapmaker/visualized dungeon and character visualizer tool. They are afraid of losing their old bread-n-butter and thus shoot themselves in the torso. It's a bit like how the music industry was so hateful and fearful of the internet for years.. but without the piracy compelling the music industry to offer competition in the form of iTunes.

Instead tabletop gaming will fade even further from not getting in on transitioning their games into a more mass-market friendly (digital) format with rules mediation run by a computer.

Ravenlock
12-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Yup. The best thing about having a board game on the computer (well, aside from being able to play with people not physically where you are, obviously) is that the computer does the math and all the fiddly bits.

I mean, I HAVE a hard copy of Carcassonne, but Meghan and I just pass-and-play the iPhone version. Same game, no mess, it does the scorekeeping.

There are a lot of board games with great mechanics that are frankly just a pain to PLAY because of all the overhead. That all goes away if you make a digital version, and I'll be first in line with my dollars.

Karak
12-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Yup. The best thing about having a board game on the computer (well, aside from being able to play with people not physically where you are, obviously) is that the computer does the math and all the fiddly bits.

I mean, I HAVE a hard copy of Carcassonne, but Meghan and I just pass-and-play the iPhone version. Same game, no mess, it does the scorekeeping.

There are a lot of board games with great mechanics that are frankly just a pain to PLAY because of all the overhead. That all goes away if you make a digital version, and I'll be first in line with my dollars.

Supremacy. One of my favorite games. Has a shitton of counters and optional rules. The ability to play this on a system is something only angels dream about.

BLeeP
12-22-2010, 03:52 PM

I'm a huge fanboy of hack and slash dungeon crawls, so I am really being a dick here and pointing out that Snowblind Studios developed those games you mentioned. I'm also pointing this out because I'm a Snowblind Studios fanboy 8-P.

Their next game in this vein is The Lord of the Rings: War in the North, and it shall actually be hitting PC, which I'm excited about.

Karak
12-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Their next game in this vein is The Lord of the Rings: War in the North, and it shall actually be hitting PC, which I'm excited about.
High-five!

So am I.

wyeast
12-22-2010, 04:34 PM
I can sort of understand that, but I don't think they have to worry. The hard versions will always beat the digital ones, IMHO, as there is nothing like playing a physical board game with friends. I only want the digital ones so I can play when I'm at home by myself.
I'm in the opposite boat. Digital would replace hard media for me, but that's because my main dungeon-crawling compadres have scattered across the west coast since our college days. Not that I couldn't find new people locally, but I play the game for the friends. Not the other way around.

J Arcane
12-22-2010, 06:54 PM
This is one of the worst looking trailers I've seen in some time. I actually had to rewatch it because I couldn't believe how ugly it was the first time and thought maybe it was just the source I was watching it from.

This looks bad, real bad, but then I expected that really. Atari never should've lost Bioware.

MagGnome
12-23-2010, 02:37 AM
I'm in the opposite boat. Digital would replace hard media for me, but that's because my main dungeon-crawling compadres have scattered across the west coast since our college days. Not that I couldn't find new people locally, but I play the game for the friends. Not the other way around.

You're just lame.

Seriously, I want some of those donuts.

wyeast
12-23-2010, 11:29 PM
You're just lame.

Seriously, I want some of those donuts.

Man, that's cold. :(

Aren't you like moving here someday anyway? Plenty of donuts to be had when you arrive. :o

MagGnome
12-24-2010, 12:41 AM
I might be moving up there. It's an area I'm interested, but I have to find a job first.