PDA

View Full Version : THQ Axes 5 Studios, Trims 2 More

DoctorFinger
11-04-2008, 06:33 AM
In a move that will likely go down as Black Monday at THQ, the publisher has shuttered five studios while making unspecified cuts at two other houses.

On the chopping block: Paradigm (Pilotwings 64), Mass Media (N64 port of Starcraft), Helixe (Incredibles, Cars), Locomotive Games (Jet Moto 3) and Sandblast (Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon).

The two studios facing significant layoffs, but staying open are Rainbow Studios (MX vs. ATV) and Juice Games (Juiced).

The cuts are due in part to the flagging economy, but THQ has also lost a number of licenses recently, and hasn't replaced many of them with new properties.

Source - Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6200527.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6200527).

menage
11-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Always crap if people lose their job.

Some of these games mentioned are ancient though.

Jeffool
11-04-2008, 06:48 AM
God damn that's painful, especially right before Christmas. My heart goes out to these guys.

Johan
11-04-2008, 07:55 AM
God damn that's painful, especially right before Christmas.

I agree. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's actually a common time for layoffs, if holiday sales are not up to "snuff" and/or because it's the end of the calendar year, and even the fiscal one for some companies.

Or...maybe it's just them being Scrooge. :(

Telefrog
11-04-2008, 07:56 AM
I agree. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's actually a common time for layoffs, if holiday sales are not up to "snuff" and/or because it's the end of the calendar year, and even the fiscal one for some companies.

Or...maybe it's just them being Scrooge. :(

It's very, very common to see pink slips handed out just before the Holidays. :(

JayVe
11-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Sucks for those laid off. Although, had these teams really not produced a new game since the N64 era? Jet Moto 3? Isn't that a PS1 title?

What were these developers DOING?

KingGorilla
11-04-2008, 08:33 AM
I really hope that they release Relic, if THQ goes down, it would suck to take the top RTS dev with them.

But they have lost a lot of games and licenses. There was a stir when GSC tool their million selling STALKER went Steam Exclusive (one week), almost pure self publishing online, and limited retail release. I think that the idea os the publisher as your disc stamping partner is already dead on PC and consoles will not be far behind. For most third parties, that is what they are to outside studios. That is what Midway was to Epic.

divinechaos
11-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Wait, wait. So Destroy All Humans is canceled now!?

DoctorFinger
11-04-2008, 10:19 AM
I was listing the most prominent game GS listed for each studio. Most of them - I assume - had more recent output, but nothing that jumped out at me as more notable.

Psykoboy2
11-04-2008, 10:23 AM
So long as I get my Darksiders and get to ride my apocalyptic horse.

bean
11-04-2008, 10:49 AM
It's an industry shift as much as the economy IMO. There simply isn't as much money in making B titles anymore due to the high costs of development. Hopefully all of these folks will get jobs working for companies that have retooled to make only AAA titles or shovelware.

Sl1pstream
11-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Well, this sucks.

QFT.

mister slim
11-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Paradigm did Stuntman Ignition, which was a solid game.

Xerxes
11-04-2008, 09:45 PM

Preach on.

bean
11-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Paradigm did Stuntman Ignition, which was a solid game.
It sold poorly. It was pretty fun and innovative though. The difficulty was really high though. . . I never passed a level on the first try and even when I learned how to pass them, I'd have to go back in order to do well enough to earn any director praise. The lack of characters and a narrative didn't help either.