PDA

View Full Version : Custom RPG Tables/Boards

artayd2
12-09-2010, 08:18 AM
I am beginning to plan out a new custom board for D&D, does anyone here have any they want to share? preferably with pictures, it is more fun that way :)

We currently play on a composite board w/ Lexan sheet counter sync'd screws w/ 1"x1" squares marked on the board underneath the Lexan, and we use dry erase markers

Panthera
12-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Oooh, I'll have to take a picture of my board. I printed off a huge grid on the office plotter and put it in an appropriately sized picture frame, and now we draw maps on it and use dry erase markers. The grid made of 1cm squares since I use little triangular risk counters instead of large figures.

artayd2
12-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Oooh, I'll have to take a picture of my board. I printed off a huge grid on the office plotter and put it in an appropriately sized picture frame, and now we draw maps on it and use dry erase markers. The grid made of 1cm squares since I use little triangular risk counters instead of large figures.

Lately, I have been using the figures from Zombies!!! board game; but still with the 1x1" squares, right now I have thicker dry erase markers so it would be hard to be detailed as much as I would like, but I was debating on making one to a similar scale as those figures for larger maps. I have also thought About using peg board without the lines under a sheet of clear plastic, still trying to figure out what i want to do :)

LordDon
12-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Cardstock terrain FTW:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o131/bruenorbat/Worldworks/cwu2.jpg

Panthera
12-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Lately, I have been using the figures from Zombies!!! board game; but still with the 1x1" squares, right now I have thicker dry erase markers so it would be hard to be detailed as much as I would like, but I was debating on making one to a similar scale as those figures for larger maps. I have also thought About using peg board without the lines under a sheet of clear plastic, still trying to figure out what i want to do :)

Having the space for a large map is great. Also, I have a larger grid at 6 square spacings so I can easily count distance for D&D, which generally has 6 square movement and range brackets - 30' for 3e and beyond, 60' for earlier editions.

artayd2
12-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Prefab/3rd party products only work if you create a scenario for what is given to you. The opposite is true all the time for me, I create something and have no interest in adapting it to what is available to purchase.

Karak
12-10-2010, 01:19 PM
I am beginning to plan out a new custom board for D&D, does anyone here have any they want to share? preferably with pictures, it is more fun that way :)

We currently play on a composite board w/ Lexan sheet counter sync'd screws w/ 1"x1" squares marked on the board underneath the Lexan, and we use dry erase markers

I can take pics of ours.
We made a dinning room table into a gaming table with a large sized board inthe center that you can take in or out that is about 4x4 of gridmarked spaces with a dry erase surface and black lines. Dice rolling is done using dice cups with springs on their bottom so you can flick them to roll the dice you need, each user has 2 cups. Snacks are handled by hanging bags from notches on the table that I bought, so each person can have chips and stuff in a bag that is not on the table. All other snacks are in individual 1foot by 1foot spaces with 3 inche walls to stop things from getting onto the gameboard, so people can put sandwiches or dip or stuff there. The DM spot has a small bookshelf to the left for about 40 books and 3 hidden areas to roll dice and see through slots cut into the table to see what the dice rolled.

As nerds we promptly named it the Monolith from 2001 a Space Odyssey.

Since we don't do DND or roleplaying with Mini's ever, this board is mostly used for boardgames, Heroscape, Talisman and those kinds of games. Occasionally we will use Cardstock Supplies such as Lorddon uses, for Heroscape user created scenarios.

artayd2
12-13-2010, 09:16 AM
I'd like to see pics; anything referred to as a monolith just has to be epic :)

Drayven
12-13-2010, 09:25 AM
If you're looking for ideas you may want to peek at http://www.geekchichq.com/ . My ideal gaming table I think would involve a suspended projector pointing down. Then I could use whatever map making software and set the monitor as a 2nd display and just reveal what I want. Right now though we have one of those folding dry erase grids that we fold out on the coffee table. :P

Karak
12-13-2010, 03:07 PM
I'd like to see pics; anything referred to as a monolith just has to be epic :)

Ya no problem. My wife's new camera arrives the day after tomorrow so we may test it out by taking these pics.

I admit the dice rolling cups was maybe a bit too nerdy but after laughing about them for a couple days, we now use them constantly so its working pretty well.
I just added panels to every person's side so they can hold about 50 heroscape mini's in front of them. That's fun for random army grab games where no one knows what someone else will pull up for that battle.

artayd2
12-14-2010, 09:20 AM
If you're looking for ideas you may want to peek at http://www.geekchichq.com/ . My ideal gaming table I think would involve a suspended projector pointing down. Then I could use whatever map making software and set the monitor as a 2nd display and just reveal what I want. Right now though we have one of those folding dry erase grids that we fold out on the coffee table. :P

I checked those out at PAX East this year, crazy prices, but definately cool

Scull
12-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Build this: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/maximum_pc_builds_a_multitouch_surface_computer

Put it in the center of this: http://www.geekchichq.com/Co_Store/The_Showroom/The_Sultan/The_Sultan.html

Become the alpha geek :)

You can see my table (rendering):

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_nkHL-YfdnW8/S3MxQK3JOXI/AAAAAAAAAB8/ipIILpgeoxA/s640/Table%20Profile.jpg

The real table:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_nkHL-YfdnW8/S8CN5b_y41I/AAAAAAAAAI0/b-FfVLvL2aI/s640/2010-04-10%2001.01.12.jpg

The 4 corners house 2 electrical outlets (8 total), the center lifts out and has a touch screen play surface, very much incomplete at this point. We do have a sheet of plexi in there, with a white backing so we can write on it with dry erase markers. Eventually the plexi will be turned into a touch surface, we just haven't had the time to finish it, and it works pretty well as is. There are seats for 8 players, each has a fold out table to house laptops, snacks, books, papers, pens, minis, etc. The inserts as detailed in the render aren't done, and probably never will be.

We did the overhead projector onto the table thing for a couple of years, and it was ok, but there were always some small problems such as shadows, poor lighting, not large enough projections without using a mirror, etc.

Cit Phil Cit
12-18-2010, 02:19 PM
We have a mat with dry erase markers. I need more RPG friends. Playing once every 6-7 weeks isn't fun.

artayd2
12-20-2010, 11:52 AM
We have a mat with dry erase markers. I need more RPG friends. Playing once every 6-7 weeks isn't fun.

That is the situation I am in now unfortunately :(, it is a work in progress. So to try and help that out, we generally play from like 9:00 A.M. until as late as people can, I think the longest I have dm'd this year was from 9:00 A.M. until about 9:00 P.M.

artayd2
12-29-2010, 07:59 AM
I decided to go the risk-sized route, and use the Lord of the Rings RISK figures in a less than 1"x1" sized board! Shortly after I purchased the LotR:RISK boxed set, the Trilogy Edition version came out so I have a whole sets worth of extra figures :)