PDA

View Full Version : Sony Cuts Off Circuit City

DoctorFinger
11-01-2008, 04:29 PM
According to sources Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5072782/sony-trucks-literally-turn-around-to-stop-circuit-city-shipments) has spoken to on the inside, Sony has taken the unprecedented move of stopping shipments to Circuit City stores, in transit due to fears the floundering retailer will not be able to pay for that merchandise. And by in transit I mean Sony literally telling drivers headed for Circuit City distribution centers to turn around and return to their point of origin. Until Circuit City can convince Sony that they have a sufficent line of credit they will not be receiving any further shipments of Sony merchandise. There is a distinct possibility that other major electronics producers may follow suit.

I don't want to trigger a panic, but if you're holding onto Circuit City gift cards or store credit, I'd recommend buying something with it as soon as possible. Maybe even before the start of business on Monday, because their stock is about to be delisted from the NYSE (http://consumerist.com/5073498/circuit-citys-stock-is-too-low-for-the-nyse).

Sources - Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5072782/sony-trucks-literally-turn-around-to-stop-circuit-city-shipments); Game Politics (http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/11/01/death-spiral-sony-cuts-circuit-city-shipments).

Johan
11-01-2008, 04:46 PM
I don't want to trigger a panic

Then this thread is a bad idea! ;)

I'm going to stop by there on Monday for some sweet "stench of death" deals...you never know.

digitalErich
11-01-2008, 04:49 PM
They already announced they are closing something like 150 stores to stay afloat, and that was, what, 3 weeks ago? I guess maybe that wasn't enough.

There's a CC a block away from me, so like Johan, I'll be enjoying some sweet liquidation sales if it goes that far.

jeffbax
11-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Doesn't Sony own part of CC?

JayK47
11-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Damn, another computer/tech store taking a shit. So much for Black Friday deals at Circuit City. Too bad. They tend to sell the products I like when it comes to stereos and TVs.

Sandman
11-01-2008, 05:35 PM
I've never had a Circuit City.

DoctorFinger
11-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Damn, another computer/tech store taking a shit. So much for Black Friday deals at Circuit City. Too bad. They tend to sell the products I like when it comes to stereos and TVs.Liquidation sales > Black Friday sales. :D

And yeah, they announced a bunch of store closing in October. But is says a lot when a company is in this kind of trouble just as the holiday buying season is beginning.

Rogue_hunter
11-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I've never had a Circuit City.

Honestly, you haven't been missing much. Sure, they always have stuff on sale much more than other stores do in their ads, but it's hell trying to actually find the games/movies/CDs in the actual store because stuff is just thrown around haphazardly. They had a surprisingly good choice of computer parts for sale, but even those were few and far between.

Actually, Circuit City reminds me alot of CompUSA, the stores had been similar in that they had stuff cheaper, but it was harder to find the deals.

Kagger
11-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Honestly, you haven't been missing much. Sure, they always have stuff on sale much more than other stores do in their ads, but it's hell trying to actually find the games/movies/CDs in the actual store because stuff is just thrown around haphazardly. They had a surprisingly good choice of computer parts for sale, but even those were few and far between.

Actually, Circuit City reminds me alot of CompUSA, the stores had been similar in that they had stuff cheaper, but it was harder to find the deals.

I worked there over the summer. Fantastic managers. We were a City store, and I feel had they adopted that earlier they wouldn't be in this mess. I couldn't imagine that job without the Tablet PC.

Stoke
11-01-2008, 06:09 PM
This is disappointing because now I won't be able to get a PS3 at a low price. On the other hand, unlike Comp USA, when CC slashes prices by 50% it will actually be lower than the price would be at BB.

Xerxes
11-01-2008, 06:14 PM
NoooooOOOOoOoO! I have credit rewards to cash in for them. O_o
Those things take weeks to come in.

Purple Santa
11-01-2008, 06:31 PM
NoooooOOOOoOoO! I have credit rewards to cash in for them. O_o
Those things take weeks to come in.

I have pre-orders from them cause I was using their credit card. Guess not now :mad:

Kelegacy
11-01-2008, 07:25 PM
CC has some killer deals sometimes, at least during their clearance deals. I've grabbed a TON of games from there over the last 3 years or so. They always have better deals than Best Buy, who I don't shop at much at all anymore. The Augusta, Maine store is the smallest BB I've ever been in and feels claustrophobic. CC is almost too big.

Maybe BB will move into CC. I wish there were more clearance or specials at BB though.

Johan
11-01-2008, 07:55 PM
They always have better deals than Best Buy, who I don't shop at much at all anymore.

I agree with you. I remember getting MS points cards for what basically was a "buy one, get one free" though it wasn't advertised that way. I got $120 worth of points for under $60. Man, that was awesome. I actually should have bought like $500 worth and sold some.

However, I think that's probably one reason BB is still in business and CC is going under; BB probably has a higher cash/customer extraction rate than CC did with its sales.

Reverant
11-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I'd hate to shitty retail chain go out of business. I've been to CCs across the country and they've all been a pain. Here's to possible liquidation sales!

Sazime
11-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Wow, so it's between Fry's and Best Buy now? Are there any other big electronics retailers out there?

Mashidar
11-01-2008, 08:05 PM
I enjoyed going to CC for gaming deals. It's where I found Suikoden Tactics for 4.99. As well as other games that I really enjoyed for less than 10 bucks.

Stoke
11-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Wow, so it's between Fry's and Best Buy now? Are there any other big electronics retailers out there?

Is Fry's really that big that they are considered competition for Best Buy? I can honestly say I've never seen a Fry's in person, as sad as that is.

Blue
11-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Is Fry's really that big that they are considered competition for Best Buy? I can honestly say I've never seen a Fry's in person, as sad as that is.

Same, I don't even know if we have any Fry's in Ohio and there are at least three BB's within 10 miles any direction of where I live.

destoo
11-01-2008, 08:32 PM
They killed Radio Shack in Canada. They probably deserve it.

Sazime
11-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Fry's does not have a ton of locations, but they have a decent web presence and you never hear about their stores being shut down or being in dire straits. Best Buy is far and above the king. I'm thinking what really hurt the Good Guys, CompUSA's and CCs are all of the large retail (Wal-Mart, Target) and big box (Costco, Sam's Club) that started carrying the same consumer electronics that used to be their bread and butter.

Telefrog
11-01-2008, 08:56 PM
What's really funny is that the local CC in my town has a huge "Now Hiring!" sign over their doors. Heh. I guess those should be temp positions.

DoctorFinger
11-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Is Fry's national? I don't think I've seen any here in the northeast.

But yeah, BB is looking like the last 'big' electronics chain standing. There are a bunch of good regional and local chains, but mostly people now either shop online or in Target/Wal-Mart for that stuff.

astranoir
11-01-2008, 09:01 PM
What's really funny is that the local CC in my town has a huge "Now Hiring!" sign over their doors. Heh. I guess those should be temp positions.

Our CC is always in "Now Hiring" mode, from what I've seen the past two or three years, but they rarely/never seem to hire people...

Pale Ale
11-01-2008, 09:17 PM
CC's business model it like an old man with a cough.

THAT kind if cough.

Xerxes
11-01-2008, 09:24 PM
CC has good deals cause they don't know any better or word deal wrong. I still like them just the same. Can't beat them for TVs either in most cases.

Xerxes
11-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Is Fry's national? I don't think I've seen any here in the northeast.

They are nation wide. Numerous stores in California, Texas, and some in Arizona, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Nevada, Oregon, & Washington.

I think here in Houston we might be the luckiest with 3 of them. Although they are all at like the 3 corners of Houston which can be some major driving. Most of them have themes based on the state or some thing like that. They are also super huge and full of everything. They have Best Buy type stuff, obscure Radio Shack type stuff, but the selections is like that of the net; as opposed to just certain brands like Best Buy hold.

Kelegacy
11-01-2008, 09:41 PM
They killed Radio Shack in Canada. They probably deserve it.

How Radio Shack stays in business is beyond me. It's like they have a deal with the Devil.

They serve a purpose for some small items like connectors and doo-hickeys, but otherwise, WTF is up with Radio Shack?

Stoke
11-01-2008, 09:52 PM
How Radio Shack stays in business is beyond me. It's like they have a deal with the Devil.

They serve a purpose for some small items like connectors and doo-hickeys, but otherwise, WTF is up with Radio Shack?

No idea, of the 3 Radio Shacks we have here in town I'm the only person I've ever seen shopping in any of them.

Schnoogs
11-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Looks like Best Buy is going to be the only act in town at this rate

Deadend
11-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Huh, I would think this is the one time of year where Circuit City could even make money.

KingGorilla
11-02-2008, 12:01 AM
I wonder what the odds are of TigerDirect buying up the unsold CC merch when the end comes.

It is simple supply and demand. Between Best Buy, the department stores(Target, WalMart), and more local fair (ABC Warehouse in Michigan, J&R in Manhattan), just how many electronics and DVD stores do you need? That is ruling out online as well. And while Best Buy smartly adapted much of their business into services a la Geek Squad and the new HD-TV set up services, Circuit City stuck with DVD sales as a model. Not going to work. DVD revenue is down, Blu-Ray sales are bottom of the barrel, and the turnover is heading to Amazon Unbox, iTunes, and online streaming services. There was a time where Both Circuit City and Best Buy got as much as 75 percent of their revenue from DVDs alone. A downturn would be death for any company incapable of adapting.

And a word to the wise. If you are thinking of shopping at Circuit City in the next year, don't buy anything that you may want/need to exchange or return. Don't buy their warranty on anything, look into extending the manufacturer warranty. Because with the way things are going, they may not go out of business completely, but stores will be closed.

Kagger
11-02-2008, 12:08 AM
And a word to the wise. If you are thinking of shopping at Circuit City in the next year, don't buy anything that you may want/need to exchange or return. Don't buy their warranty on anything, look into extending the manufacturer warranty. Because with the way things are going, they may not go out of business completely, but stores will be closed.

Circuit City, along with Best Buy, get their extended warranty's from a 3rd party company. Circuit City goes down, the company that is supplying the warranty exists still.

Rogue_hunter
11-02-2008, 12:28 AM
I think here in Houston we might be the luckiest with 3 of them. Although they are all at like the 3 corners of Houston which can be some major driving.

*cough* There are 8 in the greater Los Angeles area, and something like 5 or 6 in the San Fransisco Bay area. 3 is piddly.

I don't really consider Fry's "national" as they only have a few stores in just a small number of states. This pretty much leaves Best Buy as the only big box chain that is pretty much available everywhere you go.

Gwinny
11-02-2008, 12:34 AM
The local Circuit City is right next door to the Best Buy. Sometimes when I'm out in that little strip mall I stop in at both and with a direct comparison like that Circuit City never comes out favorably. Halfhearted store organization, the employees are always nowhere to be found... for me, that's heavenly. I like to poke around and be left alone while I do it. But I can see why Best Buy's lot is always full and Circuit City's is sparse.

Our Circuit City has a service called FireDog - it sounds like they did try to follow Best Buy's lead. But I've never seen it advertised, unlike the Geek Squad. I'm a bit sad, just because I have a pathological empathy for the underdog. That, and I hate the Best Buy lampreys.

As for Fry's - I've never seen one! I wish we had one locally. I always thought it was a West Coast thing from hearing about it in webcomics.

Xerxes
11-02-2008, 12:43 AM
*cough* There are 8 in the greater Los Angeles area, and something like 5 or 6 in the San Fransisco Bay area. 3 is piddly.

Wow... I thought they would have been spread out more over California. That's actually sad. :(

Ravenlock
11-02-2008, 12:45 AM
Well, that's a little unfortunate since I picked Fallout 3 up there last week because of the $10 CC gift card they were giving away with it. I guess I could run out and buy something else with it tomorrow, but I don't really want to.

Not a huge loss if I never use it, though. I was going to buy FO3 anyhow, and it also came with a nifty little intro hint guide thing.

Disgustipated
11-02-2008, 01:43 AM
Wow... I thought they would have been spread out more over California. That's actually sad. :(

Uh, you do realize that the greater LA area is just a small part of SoCal? lol. You act like there's only two parts of California. :rolleyes:

*personally offended, fuck you* :p

Xerxes
11-02-2008, 02:01 AM
Uh, you do realize that the greater LA area is just a small part of SoCal? lol. You act like there's only two parts of California. :rolleyes:

*personally offended, fuck you* :p

That's what I mean, sounds like eight Fry's in a small area. I thought they spreaded out more. I mean we have three, but Houston is wide as fuck. Dallas and like Austin only have one, and it's like 8 of them in LA. He didn't say SoCal. By those address I can't tell what city they are in.

I guess there though, it's more like Best Buy competition. It looks like a official chain of stores.

Talanvor
11-02-2008, 03:16 AM
I agree with you. I remember getting MS points cards for what basically was a "buy one, get one free" though it wasn't advertised that way. I got $120 worth of points for under $60. Man, that was awesome. I actually should have bought like $500 worth and sold some.

When CC had that sale, I actually got more cards from BB because NONE of the CCs around here had any cards, zero. Plus I had much less hassle getting BB to pricematch than convincing the CC cashiers to actually read their ad.

That's the problem with CC, whenever they advertise a decent deal for games, they have no stock whatsoever to support it. Personally it smells more of bait and switch than simple incompetence, but I personally know plenty of people that work in retail that have no freaking clue whatsoever about what business they're actually in.

Camel
11-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Boo! I LOVE Circuit City. I've found some awesome games in their bargain bins over the years, and they are one of the few stores that ever seem to have decent sales on games. I've recently started buying almost all my games through Gamefly, but CC was always my store of choice when I actually went out.

Johan
11-02-2008, 08:23 AM
When CC had that sale, I actually got more cards from BB because NONE of the CCs around here had any cards, zero. Plus I had much less hassle getting BB to pricematch than convincing the CC cashiers to actually read their ad.

Interesting!

My local BB pulled a dick move and called CC to see if they had any cards in stock. No cards in stock? Sorry, bud...no price match!

I went back to CC and found someone who would order the cards for me at the price. I'm not sure if they were supposed to do that, but they did.

BB lost a customer that day. I thought the manager was a real ass. Oh, and the sale was a buy one, get one on 360 products $19.99 and up. I had already gone to Wal-Mart. Their price for the 1600 point cards? $19.98. They wouldn't honor the sale either.

Ridiculous!

Kelegacy
11-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Interesting!

My local BB pulled a dick move and called CC to see if they had any cards in stock. No cards in stock? Sorry, bud...no price match!

I went back to CC and found someone who would order the cards for me at the price. I'm not sure if they were supposed to do that, but they did.

BB lost a customer that day. I thought the manager was a real ass.

Wow, that WAS a dick move. I've had something like that happen before at BB, hence the reason I don't buy from them a lot. I'd rather give my money to CC. When they go out of business, I'll just shop at Target probably. I do buy bigger purchases from BB, if only for the reward points.

MosBen
11-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Ok, so here's my conundrum. I've got $400 in CC gift cards (got a really good deal returning some stuff to CC that were actually bought at Best Buy). I definitely don't want to lose the money. So are we expecting that there will be killer deals soon, and that therefore I should hold off for a couple days, or are we expecting the store to just shut down fast and therefore I better use the cards now before I lose 'em?

Purple Santa
11-02-2008, 08:35 AM
If I read the article correctly from the link, CC has six months basically to fix their problems. Problems related to them being worth more than $1 on the NYSE. For now they aren't being delisted...yet. So you might see some good sales, especially with Black Friday coming. I don't think they are going belly up yet. Although that time frame is awful small.

MosBen
11-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Ok, phew. Thanks for talking me down Purple Santa, I was coat in hand there for a second based on a fear that I'd be out $400. Now at least I think I have until after Black Friday.

wyeast
11-02-2008, 08:51 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm a Fry's heretic. They'd always seemed just a touch sleazy... something confirmed to me many years ago when they must've lost some lawsuit in California and had to start clearly labeling any previously returned/exchanged item being sold for new. It was around the time that some new Palm Pilot had come out, and I saw that literally every box on the endcap on display was marked as a return/exchange/refurb/whatever. I was horrified.

I'll get small items, or really obscure stuff like my daffy RCA-mini stereo plug for the Xbox. But for big ticket items? No way. I simply don't trust them enough.

That and it's a hell of a drive to the only one in this state. :( :p

As for CC, that's kinda too bad. This time last year I was getting back on board with them with their willingness to incorporate web orders on Black Friday - picked up a few deals that way easily and painlessly. Since then tho' they've pulled some boneheaded and dickish moves that made me shy away from them again. :mad:

Deimos
11-02-2008, 08:52 AM
That's what I mean, sounds like eight Fry's in a small area. I thought they spreaded out more. I mean we have three, but Houston is wide as fuck. Dallas and like Austin only have one

While Dallas itself only has one store, there is also one in Arlington which is in between Dallas and Fort Worth. It's probably the most warehouse/drab Fry's of them all but I still love it.

Ok, so here's my conundrum. I've got $400 in CC gift cards (got a really good deal returning some stuff to CC that were actually bought at Best Buy).

As someone who worked in retail for far too long. I hate people like you.

It's weird to think CC could finally be closing down. I've always personally thought they were doomed to go out of business at any time but new stores keep popping up around here.

Wombat
11-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Hopefully it'll last till Friday, since their advertising a free 1600 point XBL card with the purchase of Gears 2, which is a pretty good deal.

Telefrog
11-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Ok, phew. Thanks for talking me down Purple Santa, I was coat in hand there for a second based on a fear that I'd be out $400. Now at least I think I have until after Black Friday.

Keep in mind, however, that CC's situation gets worse as more people with gift cards hear about this and start showing up to use their funny money. When a store sells a gift card they spend that money immediately as forwarded revenue. When a customer comes in to claim that card, the store loses that money out of the day's income.

The books get balanced, but the company basically already spent that money. Remember, companies really only make money on gift cards from customers either spending over the amount, or forgetting the card altogether and giving the store free money.

This is the best explanation (http://www.sptimes.com/2008/03/12/Business/Sharper_Image_gift_ca.shtml) I've seen after The Sharper Image folded:

It's all because accountants treat gift cards as loans until they are redeemed. So once a retailer files for protection from creditors, people holding gift cards get in the back of the line at bankruptcy court with unsecured creditors waiting for the unlikely event of a payoff.

In essence, as more people run on the store with their giftcards, they further drive the company into bankruptcy.

Fubl
11-02-2008, 10:14 AM
is there any chance that this could actually back fire on sony...YEs circuitcity is in trouble, could they actually hold out for some of that government money since they have yet to file for at least chapter 11.

MosBen
11-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Deimos, are you hating me because I returned merch from one store to another? Frankly I had no expectation that CC would take the stuff, but they took it no questions asked and made me like the store much more than BB, who wouldn't take it back even though it was their merch. It's a bit devious of me, sure, but I don't really feel bad about it. They didn't even ask me where the merch came from, so I didn't even lie to them. They took it no questions asked, which I thought was rather cool of them.

MagGnome
11-02-2008, 11:06 AM
I bought my Samsung HDTV from Circuit City about two months ago. I'm not a fan of CC, but I went there because they had a good sale on LG TVs. I ended up buying a TV that wasn't on sale, but I feel like I got a good deal regardless.

Minnesota is Best Buy's home turf, so I'm surprised that CC has held on up here for as long as they have. I was one of four customers when I went to get my TV, but I've never been in a Best Buy that didn't have several dozen people shopping in it. They even have a Best Buy at the Mall of America now. :p

EternalGamer
11-02-2008, 11:10 AM
CC has some killer deals sometimes, at least during their clearance deals. I've grabbed a TON of games from there over the last 3 years or so. They always have better deals than Best Buy, who I don't shop at much at all anymore. The Augusta, Maine store is the smallest BB I've ever been in and feels claustrophobic. CC is almost too big.

Maybe BB will move into CC. I wish there were more clearance or specials at BB though.

My experience is exactly the same. My local Circuit City is twice as big as the Best Buy and I find Circuit City to have far, far better deals. In fact, this Saturday, if you buy Gears of War 2 there you get a free $20 point card.

I will miss them if they go. It is probably the place in town I buy games the most often.

maharahaj
11-02-2008, 11:20 AM
I check their weekly online flier for deals just like the point card one on Gears that Eternal Gamer just mentioned. I love Circuit City and really the only difference is the Reward Zone program that BB has. I prefer CC atmosphere too [dropped ceiling, red and gray walls/carpet and lower lighting] over the extremely bright, exposed warehouse feel I get from BB. That said, I happen to frequent BB more as they always seem to build a store a few miles closer to my many apartments over the years versus where ever the existing CC was currently located.

Talanvor
11-02-2008, 11:21 AM
If I read the article correctly from the link, CC has six months basically to fix their problems. Problems related to them being worth more than $1 on the NYSE. For now they aren't being delisted...yet. So you might see some good sales, especially with Black Friday coming. I don't think they are going belly up yet. Although that time frame is awful small.

That's not strictly true.

Circuit City has 10 days to respond to the NYSE that it plans to get its stock back above $1.

So, they have to get a plan together and present it to the NYSE in order not to be delisted, in 10 days. Their stock right now is at $0.26, they need to get it back up to $1, and the stock market is taking a beating right now. They need to quadruple the price of their stock and keep it >=$1 for 30 days. I don't even know if they can do something like a reverse stock split to prop it up enough.

And since Blockbuster backed out of the proposed merger, I highly doubt anyone else is going to want it. Unless BestBuy for some bizarre reason decides that they want to pick up those stores, which wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to me considering BB is pretty much represented wherever a CC is.

If I was holding giftcards in CC right now, I'd be looking to use those quick. If you don't use them before CC files bankruptcy, they're pretty much worthless.

Talanvor
11-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Interesting!

BB lost a customer that day. I thought the manager was a real ass. Oh, and the sale was a buy one, get one on 360 products $19.99 and up. I had already gone to Wal-Mart. Their price for the 1600 point cards? $19.98. They wouldn't honor the sale either.

Ridiculous!

To be fair, the customer service rep at BB tried that with me. Unfortunately for her, no one at CC was answering the phone, so after about 20 rings she gave up and PM'd the cards.

It's really hit or miss when you try to pricematch something. Hopefully you get the kid that doesn't give a damn and, more likely that not, is quitting before they even get out of their review period.

Johan
11-02-2008, 12:26 PM
To be fair

Now, you see...there's your first mistake! I'm their CUSTOMER; I don't CARE about fair. I care about being a HAPPY customer! :)

They didn't make me happy, so I left and haven't gone back. I spent a good chunk of change there, too, so it's ultimately their loss, not mine. There are so many places to buy the products I 'consume' that I have no need of a Best Buy or any other particular store. There's always somewhere or someone else to buy from.

Phooey on "fair." :)

Talanvor
11-02-2008, 12:40 PM
I wasn't saying to be fair to them, just that they tried the same thing with me. Hell with fair, I'm definitely a "devil" customer. (Screw you Bestbuy!)

court12b
11-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Fry's is like, geek mecca as far as I'm concerned. did you say they have one in Indiana now? I might have to make a pilgrimage.

Blue
11-02-2008, 12:53 PM
I've never really had "X Company owes me something because I'm a customer." So what. They have something that I want (a product), I have something they want (money). That's it. They don't owe me any favors nor do they need to go out of their way to get me something. If they can't, I'll pop over somewhere else and that's that. Not going to stop shopping somewhere because one person in a company didn't bend over backwards to meet my needs. So what. As long as they try and help or look something up if I ask, cool.

I personally never got into the customer being always right. You're not. I know I'm not and as a customer. Having worked plenty or retail there are many people who have thrown a fit when their butt didn't get kissed and said "I'm never coming back" and that made everyone's day so much better. You think that you're dollar is ultimately important there, but it's honestly not. Losing you isn't going to make the company go belly up. I've spent loads of cash at Best Buy and if I never went back I hardly doubt they'd blink.

Addressing Johan wanting to be happy and not fair, it again goes both ways. The company isn't going to let you walk out with something that they - according to how they're run - shouldn't just to make you happy. I don't know. I've genuinely never understood that mentality.

Maybe it's having been on both side of the fence, who knows. Whenever I go in somewhere, I just want what I'm going for. I rarely ask for help and when I do, I don't expect much. Not a social person I suppose which makes me expect less from stores maybe. Give me what I want, if not, I'll grab it somewhere else and try again later.

DoctorFinger
11-02-2008, 12:58 PM
If I read the article correctly from the link, CC has six months basically to fix their problems. Problems related to them being worth more than $1 on the NYSE. For now they aren't being delisted...yet. So you might see some good sales, especially with Black Friday coming. I don't think they are going belly up yet. Although that time frame is awful small.That relates to their stock delisting, which in my opinion is less worrysome short term than suppliers refusing to provide merch. Once the credit situation is fixed they can (possibly) rectify the stock price.

Dukefrukem
11-02-2008, 01:02 PM
firm that advises on manufacturers on whether or not to ship their wares to retailers has just yanked its recommendation for Circuit City.

Talanvor
11-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Yeah but how likely is it credit will be extended if they can't even keep their stock price stable? Considering that the major lending institutions are cutting back (it's been reported that they're reluctant to even lend money that was given to them from the bailout!) on lending, I don't think they're going to last all that long.

Fry's is... okay. I can spend a lot of time wandering around, but I know everything there I can get cheaper online. I got burned one too many times on rebates for hard drives at Fry's. :/ The Fry's in Austin is still charging double what places like deepdiscount are for HD-DVDs.

Johan
11-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Addressing Johan wanting to be happy and not fair, it again goes both ways. The company isn't going to let you walk out with something that they - according to how they're run - shouldn't just to make you happy. I don't know. I've genuinely never understood that mentality.

Companies spend money to make it all the time. It's not an issue of "fair" at all; it's an issue of letting a customer like myself, who spends thousands upon thousands on electronics and gaming, leave your store disappointed that you nickel-and-dimed me, so that I never go back.

That's a poor choice on their part, to see the nickels and sacrifice the dimes. I'll take my business elsewhere!

In other words, if you have a program that tracks a customer's value to you, as BB does with their rewards card, perhaps you can UTILIZE IT to figure out whether a customer merits some short-term loss on one product, in order to make long-term profit on the sale of others. BB didn't even care; they simply saw me as some boob off the street who wanted to "get one over on them," even though I was merely asking them to do what they say they do anyway (price match)!!!

Their loss, my gain. I STILL got the deal, AND I no longer shop at BB.
Give me what I want, if not, I'll grab it somewhere else and try again later.

Just because what you want and what I want are different doesn't mean what I want isn't understandable. I wanted a price match; something THEY offer and advertise. They went to the bother of calling CC to see if the product was available (they didn't ask CC if I could order it from their store, however, which I ultimately did). In other words, they didn't want to price match. They wanted me out of their store without the product.

They got their wish. I, also, GOT MINE! :D

Blue
11-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Companies spend money to make it all the time. It's not an issue of "fair" at all; it's an issue of letting a customer like myself, who spends thousands upon thousands on electronics and gaming, leave your store disappointed that you nickel-and-dimed me, so that I never go back.

That's a poor choice on their part, to see the nickels and sacrifice the dimes. I'll take my business elsewhere!

In other words, if you have a program that tracks a customer's value to you, as BB does with their rewards card, perhaps you can UTILIZE IT to figure out whether a customer merits some short-term loss on one product, in order to make long-term profit on the sale of others. BB didn't even care; they simply saw me as some boob off the street who wanted to "get one over on them," even though I was merely asking them to do what they say they do anyway (price match)!!!

Their loss, my gain. I STILL got the deal, AND I no longer shop at BB.

Just because what you want and what I want are different doesn't mean what I want isn't understandable. I wanted a price match; something THEY offer and advertise. They went to the bother of calling CC to see if the product was available (they didn't ask CC if I could order it from their store, however, which I ultimately did). In other words, they didn't want to price match. They wanted me out of their store without the product.

They got their wish. I, also, GOT MINE! :D

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, mind. People are vastly different customers. I'm just saying that often times people come across (at least when I was in retail and when I overhear people in line) as though they have a sense of entitlement which I largely disagree with. Just because you have money doesn't mean that you're going to get your way every time.

And they did get their wish :) They didn't drop their price which is most likely something they didn't want to do. It just makes me laugh when anyone says that they'll take their business elsewhere and never shop at whatever store again like it's the end-all be-all. There are many many other people lining up to take our place which have no problem spending their money somewhere.

Ah well. Different strokes.

Johan
11-02-2008, 04:13 PM
It just makes me laugh when anyone says that they'll take their business elsewhere and never shop at whatever store again like it's the end-all be-all. There are many many other people lining up to take our place which have no problem spending their money somewhere.

Companies don't laugh when they lose the business of individual consumers who spend substantial amounts (however one would define 'substantial,' which to me would be several thousands of dollars for an individual, in a year, in a particular store). At least, companies that want to stay in business don't. BB isn't in any danger from the loss of one customer, but put enough of them together and it adds up. I have a number of stores that I no longer do business with, for various and sundry reasons, including Best Buy and GameStop/EBGames.

I find it insulting that you "laugh" at people's decisions as to where they spend their money. I spend my money where I get the best deal on the products I like, AND where I feel appreciated and respected as a customer. Best Buy has a rewards card program, and the fuck all good it did me on a day when I wanted them to honor their commitment to price match competitors' prices/products (a product out of stock in their local competitor's store, BUT which I was able to ORDER from that store for the same deal). That showed me where I rated as a customer to BB, and shopping is a freely engaged in activity, not an obligation; I put my cash where I want to. Nowadays, for computer products that typically involves Newegg. For video games, Amazon. If either of those retailers pissed in my ear, I'd find another company to pump my money into. There are plenty of places to buy what I want. THAT isn't laughable; that's anyone's right.

Widgetcraft
11-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Interesting!

Ridiculous!

Wal-mart doesn't price match, period, to my knowledge.

Johan
11-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Wal-mart doesn't price match, period, to my knowledge.

They do, but they're very picky about it. They won't match BoGo offers, and the product and price must be identical, with an ad to prove it. Here's a summation. (http://supermomonline.blogspot.com/2008/01/wal-mart-price-match-guarantee-summary.html)

The Wal-Mart Price Match Guarantee Guidelines:

* Does not apply to Buy One Get One (BOGO) Items or Percent Items

* Does not apply to sales that use a discount card

* Must state exact price

* Exact Groceries and General Merchandise

* Must bring the sales paper with you, and it must be the current dated sales paper.

Widgetcraft
11-02-2008, 04:28 PM
They do, but they're very picky about it. They won't match BoGo offers, and the product and price must be identical, with an ad to prove it. Here's a summation. (http://supermomonline.blogspot.com/2008/01/wal-mart-price-match-guarantee-summary.html)

Ahh, well I guess you learn something new everyday.

Blue
11-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Companies don't laugh when they lose the business of individual consumers who spend substantial amounts (however one would define 'substantial,' which to me would be several thousands of dollars for an individual, in a year, in a particular store). At least, companies that want to stay in business don't. BB isn't in any danger from the loss of one customer, but put enough of them together and it adds up. I have a number of stores that I no longer do business with, for various and sundry reasons, including Best Buy and GameStop/EBGames.

I find it insulting that you "laugh" at people's decisions as to where they spend their money. I spend my money where I get the best deal on the products I like, AND where I feel appreciated and respected as a customer. Best Buy has a rewards card program, and the fuck all good it did me on a day when I wanted them to honor their commitment to price match competitors' prices/products (a product out of stock in their local competitor's store, BUT which I was able to ORDER from that store for the same deal). That showed me where I rated as a customer to BB, and shopping is a freely engaged in activity, not an obligation; I put my cash where I want to. Nowadays, for computer products that typically involves Newegg. For video games, Amazon. If either of those retailers pissed in my ear, I'd find another company to pump my money into. There are plenty of places to buy what I want. THAT isn't laughable; that's anyone's right.

I don't know. I'm not meaning to insult and I don't know how to help you if you took it that way, but it does make me laugh. It just does. And honestly that one person does not show you were you rated to BB. Honestly, if I go into a coffee shop and they don't do cartwheels for me, that doesn't mean that I'm low man on the totem pole, that just means they're doing their job.

I don't know the circumstances and I only have your word to go on (which is a mighty good word, not refuting that), but say it's just that one instance you're talking about then that one employee is not indicative of BB. I mean, were I to write off every company who didn't price match right when I wanted them to or any employee that was a little off-put that I asked a question I wouldn't have anywhere to shop at. Not saying everyone treats me like crap but all experiences of mine don't have to be rainbows.

Again, different strokes. You do with your money what you want just like everyone else does and can. It's just not something I personally buy into. I know that I need them just as much as they need me for better or worse and I don't really care enough to care.

Johan
11-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Honestly, if I go into a coffee shop and they don't do cartwheels for me, that doesn't mean that I'm low man on the totem pole, that just means they're doing their job.

You're not getting it, and your attitude is, again, insulting.

I didn't expect Best Buy to "do cartwheels for me" buddy; I expected them to HONOR THEIR POLICY that says they will price match local competitors! I wasn't expecting them to "do" anything "special" for me at all...just DO WHAT THEY SAY THE WILL DO! :rolleyes:

Also, it wasn't just some random employee, it was the manager of the store. That's all I need to know. They won't honor a price on a local competitor's product because it's out of stock, even though I can order it through that local competitor?

They were dicks. Plain and simple. Also, you would make a great retail sales employee, and THAT makes ME laugh!

Not to be insulting, of course...

Edit at 8:20 p.m.: Just to head off anyone jumping into a small brush fire here, Blue and I are fine. I apologized for overreacting, as I do at times, and he was kind as well. It's over. :)

Blue
11-02-2008, 05:20 PM
You're not getting it, and your attitude is, again, insulting.

I didn't expect Best Buy to "do cartwheels for me" buddy; I expected them to HONOR THEIR POLICY that says they will price match local competitors! I wasn't expecting them to "do" anything "special" for me at all...just DO WHAT THEY SAY THE WILL DO! :rolleyes:

Also, it wasn't just some random employee, it was the manager of the store. That's all I need to know. They won't honor a price on a local competitor's product because it's out of stock, even though I can order it through that local competitor?

They were dicks. Plain and simple. Also, you would make a great retail sales employee, and THAT makes ME laugh!

Not to be insulting, of course...

You're getting worked up over something posted on a forum and stooping to personal attacks like you usually do. I genuinely like you and I don't want to not like you so I'm going to drop it.

So...how about them Bengals, eh?

Johan
11-02-2008, 05:24 PM
You're getting worked up over something posted on a forum and stooping to personal attacks like you usually do.

Which is incredibly ironic of you, to state you "laugh" at a situation I faced in a store (quite insulting), to repeat it several times, and then to post that "I'm stooping to personal attacks" (an attack itself) and of course you're taking the high road.

Yeah. Gotcha. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm quite calm, enjoying my Sunday evening, and amused by your amusing double-standards. Do you own a store? I'd like to not shop there. :D

Blue
11-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Which is incredibly ironic of you, to state you "laugh" at a situation I faced in a store (quite insulting), to repeat it several times, and then to post that "I'm stooping to personal attacks" (an attack itself) and of course you're taking the high road.

Yeah. Gotcha. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm quite calm, enjoying my Sunday evening, and amused by your amusing double-standards. Do you own a store? I'd like to not shop there. :D

Nevermind Johan. I was trying to drop it and you're being an ass which is what you excel at. Your kids have a wonderful role model in you.

Johan
11-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Nevermind Johan. I was trying to drop it and you're being an ass which is what you excel at. Your kids have a wonderful role model in you.

If you were trying to "drop it," you should have done so the first time I mentioned I found it insulting that you would literally laugh at a frustrating retail situation I found myself in. Instead, you repeated it...multiple times...then said I was stooping to personal attacks (attacking me in the process) and subsequently calling me an "ass."

Rewind the tape, buddy...the only one personally insulting anyone is you. But, of course, that makes you "laugh." :rolleyes:

Blue
11-02-2008, 05:34 PM
If you were trying to "drop it," you should have done so the first time I mentioned I found it insulting that you would literally laugh at a frustrating retail situation I found myself in. Instead, you repeated it...multiple times...then said I was stooping to personal attacks (attacking me in the process) and subsequently calling me an "ass."

Rewind the tape, buddy...the only one personally insulting anyone is you. But, of course, that makes you "laugh." :rolleyes:

Okay. I'll just put you on ignore and be done with it. Now I see what everyone over at EvAv did. Took me long enough.

Johan
11-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Okay. I'll just put you on ignore and be done with it. Now I see what everyone over at EvAv did. Took me long enough.

Yes. I'm glad I could provide you with a "laugh" and that, further explaining my frustration with their policy was only more laughable and proof I'm an "ass" and such a great role model for my kids.

You're a gem. Every single one of your posts in response to me has had an insult attached to it of a personal nature. Ta ta.

DangerousDaze
11-02-2008, 05:42 PM
The ignore function on vB is bollocks anyway. I'm not interested in seeing a placeholder when I ignore someone - I just want them gone from my forum. Period.

Blue
11-02-2008, 05:49 PM
The ignore function on vB is bollocks anyway. I'm not interested in seeing a placeholder when I ignore someone - I just want them gone from my forum. Period.

It's better than nothing, but I agree that no placeholder would be best. And, as an aside, I like that you carried over your User Title. Makes me smile.

Johan
11-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Placeholder.

:D Makes me "laugh!"

Edit: Blue was right that I got worked up, and I apologize for that. Moving on!

hideouslywrinkled
11-02-2008, 09:46 PM
For those of you who didn't use your gift cards today... it may be too late already (http://consumerist.com/5074161/updated-breaking-circuit-city-closing-155-stores). (Online excluded... of course.)

MosBen
11-03-2008, 08:12 AM
The customer-business relationship is definitely tilted towards the customer in many ways, so usually it's in the business's interest to see to it that customers leave happy with their purchase. That said, not all customers are created equal. Some customers are rude, pushy, and prone to the belief that the company can and should bend over backwards for them even though the customer might be wrong in some situations. I'm not saying that Johan or anyone else here is this hypothetical customer, but there are clearly times when customers are wrong and are real dicks about it. Few, if any, companies should or do care about losing the unruly customers. If anything they're tantrums and bad attitude sometimes make the shopping experience harder on their fellow shoppers because they create noise, tie up lines, and hold employees hostage with their arguments.

That said, most customers are reasonable folks and I think most stores do what they can to accomodate them. Sometimes reasonable people do, however, make requests of staff that company policy can't accomodate. In my experience the staff in such a situation is pretty understanding and have told me that they hope I come back some other time. No harm, no foul, no reason to be upset.

Johan
11-03-2008, 08:59 AM
It pisses me off far more that people make excuses for these companies than the initial situation did. Not even close, frankly. Since I'm off work today, I'll try to sum this up...

I'm not saying that Johan or anyone else here is this hypothetical customer, but there are clearly times when customers are wrong and are real dicks about it.

I'd like to make this situation perfectly clear, if I haven't already done so (I believe I have). The sale at CC was a "buy a 360 accessory for $19.99 and up, get $20 off another" (I can't remember the exact terminology, but points card were included and pictured in the advertisement).

1. I went to CC. Out of stock. I have found this to be the case virtually EVERY time they have a special sale. Out of stock. They have very, very few of the advertised special, to save themselves money, but they advertise it anyway to draw you to the store.
2. I went to Wal-Mart. I showed an employee the advertisement. They would not honor it, as their 1600 point cards were priced at $19.98, which I thought was pretty dick of them, because it was the same product. I left.
3. I went to BB. I took six 1600 point cards to the register. I showed the employee the advertisement. BB has a price match guarantee. The employee went to the bother of calling over a manager, who said "we're going to call the CC store." They did so, and found out the product was out of stock. They didn't care that I could (and eventually DID) order the damn product from the CC store for that same deal. They just wanted me the fuck out of their store without the product or the deal, despite my large spending habits at BB, as evidenced by my Rewards history (that is why they have those cards, after all).
4. I went back to CC, went to customer service, and ordered the cards. It would have been really nice if they had told me I could do so when I had been there earlier, but of course, the employee I spoke with was either too ignorant to know, or wanted me the fuck out of the store without the deal.

Now, I would appreciate it if anyone who would like to make a point about dick customers that they would leave me the hell out of it. I didn't bitch at anyone at any of these stores; I merely went to three different stores whose policies are advertised as offering deals/matches that THEY WOULD NOT HONOR, all for reasons I find to be deceptive and dishonorable; intended to draw a customer in and then NOT give them the deal that drew them there.

I went to CC because of their advertised deal; out of stock. As usual for their "deals." :rolleyes: Also, they neglected to inform me I could order the damn deal from customer service.
I went to WM because they advertise a price match guarantee. But not on the same products that are priced a PENNY lower. :rolleyes:
I went to BB because they advertise a price match guarantee. But not on products that are off the shelf but can still be ordered from their competitor's store, apparently. :rolleyes:

There was dickery involved in all of this, but not from me. I did get the deal, but it proved to me that there is no deal when dealing with businesses, and that my time is worth far more than putting up with this shit again. That's why I swore off BB. I haven't used CC since, either, but Wal-Mart is unavoidable for me and my family.

Screw businesses that offer policies and specials, and then look to "penny price differences" and other excuses to avoid honoring them.

BabyJesus
11-03-2008, 09:36 AM
I dunno, in my experience stores will price match or rarely match a straight buy 1 get 1 free deal. They usually won't match the type of deal you were trying to get them to do because it wasn't really a price match.

CC really is a crap store, they have been for years. I never even look at their ads anymore.

Dukefrukem
11-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Was this already posted? The official store closing list (http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/CC/455353003x0x245809/2BFAC9D9-6CEF-4027-9E51-1C635F42F7A7/110308%20Store%20Closing%20List.pd)?

Johan
11-03-2008, 09:39 AM
I dunno, in my experience stores will price match or rarely match a straight buy 1 get 1 free deal.

It wasn't a "BoGo," it was "buy one for $19.99 and up, get $20 off another accessory." The ad. specified that very clearly, and specified points cards were included. I could have bought a 1600 point card and gotten $20 off a 4000 point card, too...but that wasn't as good a deal for me.

I wasn't trying to sneak anything past anyone. It was totally legit as regards all three companies. It was a terrific deal, which was why I pursued it as I did. If companies don't want to price match GREAT deals from other companies, they shouldn't advertise that they will. They also shouldn't weasel out of it with penny price differences and other excuses which I found lame and insulting.

And I did get the deal, too! :D

Restlessavenger
11-03-2008, 10:00 AM
The Circuit City on my way home is closing. Liquidation sales start on Wednesday. Of course, I don't get my check until Friday, but hopefully there should still be some good deals.

LarsenNET
11-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Was this already posted? The official store closing list (http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/CC/455353003x0x245809/2BFAC9D9-6CEF-4027-9E51-1C635F42F7A7/110308%20Store%20Closing%20List.pd)?

Looks like mine local store is spared. Now that I think about it, I haven't been there in years...

AgtFox
11-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Looks like no closings here in MN, so I guess they aren't pulling out of the market.

fitbabits
11-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks for that.

Holy crap, the CC in Northglenn, CO just opened less than a year ago.

AgtFox
11-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Now that I think of it, it is rather surprising they aren't closing any stores here. This is the epicenter of Best Buy up here since it is HQed here. Maybe they feel they need to compete in the home market of its primary competition.

MagGnome
11-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Looks like no closings here in MN, so I guess they aren't pulling out of the market.

I'm also surprised that they are keeping their stores up here. I bought my TV at the Roseville location, and the store was dead. My roommate and I were just about the only customers in there.

Xerxes
11-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Only one store closing in all of houston. Plus it's one of the older store just relocated in the same down-ish area. No major loss. Although that's the one I had to drive to in order to pick up my latest TV.

Ravenlock
11-03-2008, 07:30 PM
No closings in PA yet, so I guess I'll hold onto my gift card for another few weeks, and see what happens.

EternalGamer
11-03-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm also surprised that they are keeping their stores up here. I bought my TV at the Roseville location, and the store was dead. My roommate and I were just about the only customers in there.

My local Circuit City, which they just built 3 years ago is always almost completely empty. Despite the fact that it is 1) twice the size of the local Best Buy and 2) located right next to the mall (whereas the Best Buy is several miles away). I am frankly surprised that my local store isn't closing. They have six or seven cashier lines up front but I have never been there when they've had more than one of the open. Most of the time they have NONE of them open and you have to go to customer service to buy something. I rarely seem more than 5 or 6 people in the entire store at one time while I'm there. Meanwhile I've never been in the Best Buy when there were less than 20 or so.

Nevertheless, for whatever reason, my local store is staying and I'm happy because they have a lot o better deals than any other big retailer in town.

MagGnome
11-03-2008, 10:06 PM
My local Circuit City, which they just built 3 years ago is always almost completely empty. Despite the fact that it is 1) twice the size of the local Best Buy and 2) located right next to the mall (whereas the Best Buy is several miles away). I am frankly surprised that my local store isn't closing.

That's strange. It's pretty much the opposite situation here. The CC stores are MUCH smaller than the local Best Buys, which are all really large and open with one exception, which I swear must be the oldest Best Buy in the country. The rest of the BB stores are all very nice, which makes sense since the company is based up here.

Like you said, the BB stores are always busy while the CC stores are dead. I'm honestly surprised that they are not closing any stores in the Twin Cities area.

DoctorFinger
11-04-2008, 06:38 AM
My local store is staying open, but 6 stores in the area are closing, including 3 along one road (Sunrise Hwy) on Long Island.