PDA

View Full Version : HDD Recovery issue

PathMaster
09-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Help!

I am trying to recover data off a backup drive. WD 1 TB drive that has music and photos. Hook it up via USB adapter to my PC, drivers install, but it only appears in Disk Management as initialized at about 931 gigs. File recovery software see the drive, but after running for 12 hours only see 430 megs of data. Drive is failing. Read errors, but SMART passes currently. Nothing I can think of will allow me to get to what data may be there.

Any ideas!

Karak
09-23-2010, 08:54 PM
The best recovery software I used(this has happened 2 times)
was EASEUS Data Recovery and Active Undelete standard.
Both found items all others would not.
Remember each attempt does more damage.
Disc recovery can run as high as 1,800. I found that out last time.
You may find that you an only get 430 megs from it.
Also did it just randomly die, any sounds, any performance issues crop up beforehand?

PathMaster
09-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Sounds perfectly fine. Ran some tests from UBCD and it basically failed. WD's test wanted to do a full media scan, but I thought I would try and grab the sata first.

Karak
09-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Easeus is a bit tricky in that it is amazingly full featured and intense. However, I can't argue with the results.

Seabass
09-23-2010, 09:40 PM
This may sound odd but when I used to work in a computer repair shop we would put failing drives in the freezer. Once they get nice and cold they seemed to run normally for awhile. Usually long enough to recover data. Of course you'll want to put the drive in a zip lock bag to protect it from water.

Wally
09-24-2010, 10:08 AM
I have used the freezer method before, although I would suggest anti-static bag instead of a standard zip lock. It helps with mechanical issues for some strange reasone but it is still a very hit and miss solution.

PathMaster
09-24-2010, 07:41 PM
I too have used the freezer method. It does work sometimes. I don't think in this situation it will matter. The drive spins fin, just nothing can see the data correctly.

PathMaster
09-26-2010, 01:32 PM
So I am in the middle of an attempt to get the data using, Easeus. Grabbed the demo version, and it found huge amount of data, but out of the 20 gigs found, 19+ of it are SWF files. That makes no sense. Even the data it found that you can preview appears to be stock WesternDigital backup drive software images.

Dukefrukem
09-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Boot with knoppix, copy to FAT32, it's slow but it works

Karak
09-27-2010, 09:30 AM
So I am in the middle of an attempt to get the data using, Easeus. Grabbed the demo version, and it found huge amount of data, but out of the 20 gigs found, 19+ of it are SWF files. That makes no sense. Even the data it found that you can preview appears to be stock WesternDigital backup drive software images.

As Duke says. You may want to try some kind of raw copy.

Easeus though. If it finds it...it usually knows what its doing. Even raw and orphaned files came up correct on mine that had been hashed badly. I was able to rebuild 90% of a drive of 500gigs with it where no other program could even find the items. Makes me think you really did lose it or SOMETHING weird is going on.

I did have a virus once that clicked off my image saves of my C drive and rewrote them all. I know it sounds funny but have you checked for a virus to see if you got something whacky?

PathMaster
09-27-2010, 08:35 PM
No, but I will give it a try.

It almost appears the files are of the wrong extension, but nothing I throw at it works. Beyond opening .MOF files with 7zip.

PathMaster
11-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Well, after many many emails with Easeus support, they basically are referring me to companies that do this stuff in house. Now to find someplace that will not be super expensive!!

artayd2
12-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Boot with knoppix, copy to FAT32, it's slow but it works

I used to do this often, the newer versions of knoppix had issues with the last few machines(which were older) I tried it on, so I have been using Helix w/ WFT works great

artayd2
12-08-2010, 08:18 PM
The best recovery software I used(this has happened 2 times)
was EASEUS Data Recovery and Active Undelete standard.
Both found items all others would not.
Remember each attempt does more damage.
Disc recovery can run as high as 1,800. I found that out last time.
You may find that you an only get 430 megs from it.
Also did it just randomly die, any sounds, any performance issues crop up beforehand?

1,800 is no where near the ceiling I have experienced at my work :)

PathMaster
12-08-2010, 08:45 PM
I am having a hard time finding local companies that will do physical recovery. Any national firms?

Khrymsyn
12-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Drive Savers - http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/
The place I work for has used them in the past with good success.

artayd2
12-14-2010, 04:30 PM
I've used http://www.salvagedata.com a few times, you don't pay anything unless they are able to restore data

Cactaur
12-15-2010, 01:43 AM
If its not work critical stuff I'd say don't bother paying to recover the data. Charges are astronomical.

If you want to recover the pictures try the RescuePro demo? http://www.lc-tech.com/software/rprodetail.html. The software also comes with Sandisk Extreme flash cards.

artayd2
12-15-2010, 08:37 AM
https://www.e-fense.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=11

This is Helix that i referenced earlier, used for computer forensics, I have been able to acquire data off hard drives that appeared to be a lost cause many times.

Karak
12-16-2010, 04:15 PM
1,800 is no where near the ceiling I have experienced at my work :)

Sure work is far different from home or single user in costs. Also a user will normally bow out once costs get above a certain point. Companies have more flexibility.

It is some overpriced expensive stuff:(