PDA

View Full Version : The Last Airbender sequel announced...

muddi900
07-21-2010, 10:42 AM
...the sequel to the cartoon, that is.

The channel said Wednesday the new animated TV series will premiere in 2011. It has the working title, "The Legend of Korra."

Nickelodeon says the series will build on the "mythology" of the original "The Last Airbender" series, which inspired this summer's live-action movie from filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan (SHAH-muh-lahn).

The "Legend of Korra" is from the creator-producers of "Avatar: The Last Airbender." (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100721/ap_en_tv/us_tv_legend_of_korra)

That's right, no M. Night involved!

pomeroy
07-21-2010, 10:51 AM
I saw your title and thought "I didn't think that movie had made enough money for a sequel."

I even looked it up...$134 million on a $150 million budget so far.

Zero
07-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Yay! Even though I hated the ending of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

hunterx280
07-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Hell yeah! You just made my day!

KSmitty
07-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Not to complain, but WHY?

Sorry to spoil a Nickelodeon series for anyone, but *gasp* the good guys win and everyone is having tea. What other story is there to tell? I mean I trust that Michael Dante DiMartino & Bryan Konietzko can spin an entertaining animated yarn, but I wonder what more story they have to tell in that universe.

muddi900
07-21-2010, 03:05 PM

Sorry to spoil a Nickelodeon series for anyone, but *gasp* the good guys win and everyone is having tea. What other story is there to tell? I mean I trust that Michael Dante DiMartino & Bryan Konietzko can spin an entertaining animated yarn, but I wonder what more story they have to tell in that universe.

Well there is also the next Avatar. I like this "Legacy hero" myth, a la Buffy and Bru & Fraction' Iron Fist. You just have a concept and you can tell any sort of story you want.

Superman's Dead
07-21-2010, 03:09 PM

Time passes, things change. New stuff happens in the real world all the time. Besides, I'm sure they had plenty of cool plot ideas andEastern concepts they never got to work with.

I just wish their world had started out larger than the select few cities and tribes to begin with. But with a kids show, i guess it makes sense.

Xerxes
07-21-2010, 09:05 PM
I was hoping for something that explained what was to become of the airbenders. Surely that cripple kids and his flying machines aren't the way. Also Zuka sounded hell bent on finding out about his mom. A few other niggly things that could of made it all the more complete would have been nice.

This takes place like after Aang, it's still focusing on kids I think, and Aang is now Roku. Bleh. An adult avatar could of been cool.

AbinSur
07-21-2010, 10:05 PM
I was hoping for something that explained what was to become of the airbenders. Surely that cripple kids and his flying machines aren't the way. Also Zuka sounded hell bent on finding out about his mom. A few other niggly things that could of made it all the more complete would have been nice.

This takes place like after Aang, it's still focusing on kids I think, and Aang is now Roku. Bleh. An adult avatar could of been cool.

Based on the image at the link in the OP, it looks like the new Avatar is a bit older than Aang was, probably late teens. It also looks like she might be from the Water tribe, meaning she directly succeeds Aang or this is quite a bit later in time. I'd say the latter based on the "modern" looking city in the background.

Anyway I'm looking forward to this. The Avatar cartoon is one of my favorites, and I still watch reruns when they come on. And I loved the ending.

The movie sucked though.

Xerxes
07-21-2010, 10:07 PM
A hotheaded water bender?

digitalErich
07-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Topless Robot (http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/07/looks_like_aang.php) has a lot of detail...

-Takes place 70 years after the original
-The new female Avatar knows Fire, Water, and Earth bending at the start of the show
-She heads to a big (steampunk!) metropolis to learn Air bending from Aang's son.
-In this big city, there's a growing anti-bending sentiment from the populace.

AbinSur
07-21-2010, 10:13 PM
A steam punk.

AbinSur
07-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Topless Robot (http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/07/looks_like_aang.php) has a lot of detail...

Ah, thanks. That explains a bit more.

Xerxes
07-21-2010, 10:24 PM
I read somewhere Aang would be seen through out much like Roku was. Didn't know about the son.

digitalErich
07-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Ok, this is totally geeky, but I really like the idea of an Avatar running around with Water and Fire bending mastered in a steampunk setting. There's just so much, action wise, that you can do with that.

digitalErich
07-21-2010, 10:25 PM
I read somewhere Aang would be seen through out much like Roku was. Didn't know about the son.
He won't be alive if we see him. A new Avatar necessitates him being dead, doesn't it?

Xerxes
07-21-2010, 10:31 PM
He won't be alive if we see him. A new Avatar necessitates him being dead, doesn't it?

Um yeah, again like Roku. Spirit guide to his next incarnation.

KSmitty
07-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Okay so element bending/steampunk with a little crime fighting thrown in the mix. I figured there would be a time jump to help separate the two series, I just thought it would have been much longer. And setting the story in a 'metropolis' goes a long way to creating a new world. I am guessing that her 'fiery' nature will lead to some head-butting between Korra and Aang's son.

Laughing Penguin
07-22-2010, 10:45 PM

And it's only 70 years later, with the new Avatar having quite a few years in already. Aang didn't die of old age, certainly...

Xerxes
07-23-2010, 12:25 AM
And it's only 70 years later, with the new Avatar having quite a few years in already. Aang didn't die of old age, certainly...

I was thinking this. We was about 13 when the show ended. Minus 17(?) for this new Avatar. Only gets him to like 66. I mean he's still a old guy, but still.