PDA

View Full Version : Woke up to something weird this morning.

IIntrude
07-07-2010, 11:03 AM
So there I am curled in my bed, my wife had left for work already, and my dog was snuggled up close. So I am dead asleep, then I hear the voice of someone talking in the bedroom for several seconds. I snap awake and listen closely while looking around...nothing there at all.

I chalk it up to a vivid dream, and fall back to sleep. About 30 min later, a different voice starts speaking in my bedroom. I was much more alert this time, not having fallen fully asleep yet. It was definitely a man's voice in the room, not outside the window, but right next to my head. No one is there. The dog even heard it, alert and looking around for this new guest.

I then noticed something, the voice has a particular electronic hiss to it. My head goes to the nightstand beside me, my cell and a speaker sit there. The sounds seemed to be coming from there. I don't think the voice came from my cellphone and the speaker system in our bedroom, while still plugged in, hasn't been used in years. The speakers are simply that as well, just speakers, no receiver or antenna, just a small desktop speaker system for a PC.

I know I wasn't imagining the voices, and since getting up I have yet to hear them again. I have an idea of what is going on, but thought some of you may have some ideas as well.

Needless to say it really woke me up and is a cool little mystery for the day.

The Continental
07-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Sounds like your first schizophrenic episode. Congratulations, life is about to get much more exciting.

IIntrude
07-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Sounds like your first schizophrenic episode. Congratulations, life is about to get much more exciting.

:D Fantastic, we have been looking forward to this day for a while now....cept my dog heard it too, hmmm.

darkbase
07-07-2010, 11:12 AM
I've experienced similar things since I was little, and the only thing I can figure is my imagination is screwing with me. Sometimes I swear I hear the television on downstairs or someone that was out has arrived and is downstairs talking to someone, and after I investigate, nothing.

Nura
07-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Some speakers might pick up on radio signals which will then play over them.

There's ways to prevent it here (http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/computer_interference.htm).

If that's not the case though, congratulations on having ghosts!

Sandman
07-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Sounds like your home has a poltergeist. Use this to your advantage to get on tv using one of those ghost series every cable channel seems to have these days.

IIntrude
07-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Some speakers might pick up on radio signals which will then play over them.

There's ways to prevent it here (http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/computer_interference.htm).

If that's not the case though, congratulations on having ghosts!

That was my 1st guess too, its just that we have had these speakers for 7+ years and this is the first time anything like that has happened. I am wondering if I was picking up skip or possibly trucker signals. Still waiting to see if it happens again.

Pale Ale
07-07-2010, 11:20 AM
I then noticed something, the voice has a particular electronic hiss to it. My head goes to the nightstand beside me, my cell and a speaker sit there. The sounds seemed to be coming from there. I don't think the voice came from my cellphone and the speaker system in our bedroom, while still plugged in, hasn't been used in years. The speakers are simply that as well, just speakers, no receiver or antenna, just a small desktop speaker system for a PC.

I'm gonna go with high powered radio next unshielded speakers for a hundred Alex. :D

Handmade.Mercury
07-07-2010, 11:21 AM

:D Fantastic, we have been looking forward to this day for a while now....cept my dog heard it too, hmmm.

Are you sure you actually have a dog?

IIntrude
07-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Are you sure you actually have a dog?

I did, I swear it!

Voodoo
07-07-2010, 12:35 PM
I did, I swear it!

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4697/sherlockholmesdvd3.jpg

Hawkzombie
07-07-2010, 12:43 PM
So there I am curled in my bed, my wife had left for work already, and my dog was snuggled up close.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say given the thread title, not the best opener you could have picked.

TheFlyingOrc
07-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Without reading the OP, that's an erection. You're becoming a man.

Kelegacy
07-07-2010, 02:26 PM
My computer speakers used to intercept foreign broadcasts. I thought I was hearing terrorist talk and I'd hear what I thought was Arabic or something. I had to start turning my speakers off at night when I lived in my old apartment. Now I shut down my PC every night.

nabokovfan87
07-07-2010, 02:33 PM

You mean you saw the dog. What if this is all a fever dream and you are secretly somewhere else sitting in a pod awaiting your demise in a completely different dimension.

I think they made a movie about this one.... (YES, I know which one)

There was also an NCIS episode about it too, some schizo had a speaker in a vent that worked off a radio remote that shouted with tons of echo when pressed "Jessica... Jess... Jessica... ca... a... a... a...."

EDIT: I imagine some shrink siting there asking you "what color was the dog" and you answer back, "Green with cyan ears and pink eyes. It didn't have a tail, but it did have 25 legs."

Seika
07-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Oh man...
I have similar story.

One day some sort of trance music, or weird muffled voice, woke me up in the middle of the night. I walked all over the house to see if something was left on, found nothing. Went back to bed, but I could still hear it, got up again, then as I got close to my desk. I swear I could hear the music coming from the wall behind it, but there's nothing behind that wall! Went outside the house to the other side, nothing!, no sound at all!. Came back inside, the sound was still there. Then I noticed it wasn't the wall, it was my new computer monitor! It was really low, I had to put my ear right to the back of it to make it out, but it was definitely there.

Enough said, that totally scared me the fuck out for a few minutes...

Then all that electronic knowledge on radios came back to me slowly, and I felt secure again, and went back to sleep.

Either that or it could have been a poltergeist. I don't know... :o

J Arcane
07-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Did I ever tell you folks about the time I slept backwards in time?

Voodoo
07-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Did I ever tell you folks about the time I slept backwards in time?
You haven't told us... yet.

J Arcane
07-07-2010, 03:11 PM
You haven't told us... yet.
Clever. :D

Handmade.Mercury
07-07-2010, 03:48 PM
You used to be able to stick your ear to the headphone jacks on airplane armrests and listen to whatever was being broadcast on their radio or TV or whatever.

bstiff
07-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Sounds like your home has a poltergeist. Use this to your advantage to get on tv using one of those ghost series every cable channel seems to have these days.

I recommend setting up video cameras and getting a ouija board like here:

9qt_002jXjs

Zrikz
07-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Gave a GF some old computer speakers a few years back and if they were left on they could pick up trucker chat as they went down the highway.. it ended up being a little creepy every now and then.

Also, if I have my cell phone next to my alarm clock it starts doing this static thing any time it is getting a text/call/searching for signal.

Wraith
07-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Also, if I have my cell phone next to my alarm clock it starts doing this static thing any time it is getting a text/call/searching for signal.Yeah, I get that if my blackberry's too close to my cheapo sony alarm clock. And gotten the same over headphones and larger bookshelf speakers, too. Don't think I've noticed it since installing the Network Extender, though. (Boosts signal in the house, runs calls over broadband instead of cell tower signal.)

Was weird the first time I heard it, since the alarm clock wasn't playing anything (you'd think the speaker wasn't "on" at the time).

Narradisall
07-08-2010, 05:45 AM
When the voices start telling you to do things, obey without question.