PDA

View Full Version : Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers coming to PC.

J Arcane
06-04-2010, 03:02 PM
That Magic game from XBLA is coming to Steam, for $10. Preordering apparently gets you the DLC for free.

I was a bit unsure about the whole "you can only use premade decks" thing, and I'm still not. Anyone have the XBLA one, and can reassure me that this doesn't lead to a crippling lack of depth? It does seem there's some customization to be had, but is it enough to cover the fact that according to the description it only has 11 decks even with the expansion?

It just seems like it would get old quickly.

violent
06-04-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm hearing good things about it in the chatroom but your concerns echo mine. A part of me really wants to pick this up but the other part of me wants to get excited about getting new cards and building decks.

nnanji
06-04-2010, 03:27 PM
In my experience it got old quick, especially if deckbuilding and customization are selling points for you. The decks are pre-made 60 card decks, and several of them are quite fun, but all of them have suboptimal choices IMHO. As you play the single player game you unlock cards for a 'sideboard' that you can add to decks. The problem there is that as you add cards you do not get to take cards out of the decks, leading to deck bloat.

The good part of the game is the multiplayer, especially if you have friends that like to play but hate to lose because they don't own enough rares. By playing pre-built, balanced decks, they guarantee that everyone is playing at an equal level, so skill and not purchasing power determine the victor.

hunterx280
06-04-2010, 03:29 PM
I saw this on Steam last night. I have to admit, I'm somewhat interested.

Food Nipple
06-04-2010, 04:24 PM
The good part of the game is the multiplayer, especially if you have friends that like to play but hate to lose because they don't own enough rares. By playing pre-built, balanced decks, they guarantee that everyone is playing at an equal level, so skill and not purchasing power determine the victor.

I disagree. The game requires you to spend time, instead of money. The cards you unlock from playing are often some of the most powerful ones in each deck. If you haven't spent the time to grind out 17 wins against the AI, for each deck you want to use, you're playing at a disadvantage.

The reason I stopped playing was because I felt that time invested played too big of a roll in determining the winner.

J Arcane
06-04-2010, 04:27 PM
So it's an MMO, instead of golf? ;)

DoctorFinger
06-04-2010, 04:29 PM
If your #1 activity is MTG is making and tweaking decks, you won't like it.

But, if you just like playing, it can be fun. Especially if you have friends with the game to play against.

Telefrog
06-04-2010, 04:30 PM
It's fun on XBLA. The base decks are (despite some grousing) well balanced, the GUI is good, and the game is Magic, so the mechanics are very tested. The inability to build my own decks doesn't really bother me as fiddling with deckbuilding is one of those things that will keep me from ever actually getting to the "game" portion of the product.

That said, the worst part of the game is that you unlock cards to add to the decks, but you are not allowed to subtract the base cards from those decks. This has the unfortunate effect of making your deck weaker as you add cards because it increases the chances of a lame draw.