PDA

View Full Version : Polanski's "Isolated Incident" Perhaps Not So "Isolated" After All?

fitbabits
05-14-2010, 02:42 PM
LOS ANGELES (AFP) Fugitive filmmaker Roman Polanski was hit by fresh sex crime allegations Friday by a British actress who claimed the director "forced himself" upon her just after her 16th birthday.

Polanski, who is fighting extradition to the United States to face sentencing in his 1978 child sex case, was accused by actress Charlotte Lewis, 42, of abusing her at his apartment in Paris nearly 30 years ago.

In a press conference at the Beverly Hills offices of attorney Gloria Allred, Lewis said she was speaking out to counter suggestions from Polanski's legal team that his earlier case was an isolated incident.

"I am also a victim of Roman Polanski. He sexually abused me in the worst possible way when I was just 16 years old," Lewis said in a prepared statement.

Allred said Lewis had given statements to Los Angeles police and prosecutors which she hoped would be taken into consideration if Polanski were extradited back to the United States from Switzerland, where he is under house arrest.

"It is very important that the District Attorney and the Swiss authorities are armed with this information as they decide Mr Polanski's fate," said Lewis, who had a minor role in Polanski's 1986 period flop "Pirates."

"Mr. Polanski knew I was only 16 years old when he met me and forced himself upon me in his apartment in Paris. He took advantage of me and I have lived with the effects of his behavior ever since it occurred," she said.

"All I want is justice," added Lewis, best known for her leading role opposite Eddie Murphy in the 1986 adventure comedy "The Golden Child."

No further information about the circumstances of the incident with Polanski were revealed and Lewis took no questions from reporters.

Although Polanski, 76, was accused of "forcing himself" upon Lewis, the actress pointedly did not use the word "rape." "The words we used are the words we used," Allred said when asked about the actress's allegations.

Allred, whose clients have included two of golfer Tiger Woods's alleged mistresses and the family of US football start OJ Simpson's murdered ex-wife, denied Lewis's credibility would be diminished by her decision to only come forward after many years.

"I think what is important is she came forward now," Allred said. "Not only is it not too late, there's still time if the other victims want to come forward."

A spokesperson for Polanski's US legal team said they had no information concerning Lewis's allegations but said in a statement that local prosecutors continued "to refuse to provide the Swiss government with accurate and complete information relevant to the extradition issue."

Los Angeles prosecutors meanwhile confirmed they had met Lewis but it was not clear what effect -- if any -- her allegations could have in the ongoing proceedings against Polanski.

Polanski is currently under house arrest in Switzerland where he is fighting extradition in his 1978 case.

Polanski is alleged to have given 13-year-old Samantha Geimer champagne and drugs during a 1977 photo shoot at the Hollywood Hills home of actor friend Jack Nicholson before having sex with her despite her protests.

The director was initially charged with six felony counts, including rape and sodomy. The charge was later reduced to unlawful sexual intercourse after a plea deal agreed in part to spare his victim the ordeal of a trial.

Polanski later served 42 days at a secure unit undergoing psychiatric evaluation but fled the United States on the eve of his sentencing in 1978 amid fears that the trial judge planned to go back on a previously agreed plea deal.

Polanski's flight from justice came after a string of hit films including "Rosemary's Baby" and "Chinatown."

The director, whose wife Sharon Tate was horrifically murdered by Charles Manson's "family" in 1969, won an Oscar for his 2002 film "The Pianist" but was unable to collect the award because of his fugitive status.
Source (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100514/ts_alt_afp/entertainmentusfilmpolanskipeople;_ylt=Am34bmed3uF eM5xSOA.fxa6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTQ2b2ZmZDUxBGFzc2V0A2F mcC8yMDEwMDUxNC9lbnRlcnRhaW5tZW50dXNmaWxtcG9sYW5za 2lwZW9wbGUEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM4BHBvcwM 1BHB0A2hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzb GsDcm9tYW5wb2xhbnNr)

How, if at all, does this change your opinion of Polanski?

Jason
05-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Doesn't change my mind at all, just re-affirms my opinion.

Narradisall
05-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Hmmm, I always find these things difficult, because if it were me... I would have fucking gone to the police 30 years ago.

Not saying this isn't true, every single word may be fact. I just always have a hard time accepting these situations as gospel, especially when there's a shit ton of money to be made by making these types of accusations at such a critical time.

On a side note though, what the fuck are they doing? How long does extradition take? Or does he have some fantastic lawyers? Actually thinking about it, I think you've been trying to get our UK hacker for years so maybe he can tie it up in courts forever.

johnperkins21
05-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Hmmm, I always find these things difficult, because if it were me... I would have fucking gone to the police 30 years ago.

Not saying this isn't true, every single word may be fact. I just always have a hard time accepting these situations as gospel, especially when there's a shit ton of money to be made by making these types of accusations at such a critical time.

My feeling exactly. The burden of proof is on the accuser. I am always skeptical of claims like this against celebrities. Especially when Gloria Allred is their attorney.

It doesn't really change my opinion of him because I never really formed one of him, and don't really plan to. I have no reason to have any opinion of him whatsoever.

Hotcod
05-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Not really read it and I honestly haven't be assed with the whole thing since both sides are being idiots but before the arguments about statutory rape start up yet again the age of consent (now and then) in the UK is 16 and it's 15 in France. Which is why they are not following the "rape" angel in this case given all the bickering over that when it involves the other girl.

Kelegacy
05-14-2010, 06:50 PM
It's like the whole Michael Jackson thing--people can still like his music but hate the monster. Polanski is an incredible director and he is an amazing artist. His personal life, on the other hand, looks to be a disaster.

LongStepMantis
05-14-2010, 07:22 PM
She might be coming forward because now people are starting to accept his guilt. I imagine it could be tough to try and speak out against someone much more connected and wealthy than yourself.

On the flipside, she could be an attention-whoring money grubber who sees an opportunity to make some bank or promote herself.

That's the problem with coming forward after the shit has already hit the fan. You're either a frightened victim who finally has the courage to speak up, or someone looking for a free ride...no way of knowing which one yet, and most people will choose one or the other without adequate information.

Urizen
05-14-2010, 07:59 PM
"rape" angel

Paging Dr. Freud...

It's like the whole Michael Jackson thing--people can still like his music but hate the monster. Polanski is an incredible director and he is an amazing artist. His personal life, on the other hand, looks to be a disaster.

Couldn't disagree more. I'm not saying it isn't the same phenomenon...but Polanski is the most overrated director of all time. (Polanski's only good work was Chinatown.) The only one in the same time zone is Spielberg.

Inspector Fowler
05-14-2010, 08:15 PM
I don't understand how anybody supports him.

Even if she is willing, it is a tough sell when a 44 year old guy has sex with a very underage girl (13, are you kidding me?) while also providing her with drugs. Her statements that she wasn't even willing make it disgusting beyond my belief.

I defy anybody to say how this is appropriate. Even totally willing, drug-free sex with a JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOLER is disgusting if you're not in junior high!

Hotcod
05-14-2010, 08:24 PM

Even if she is willing, it is a tough sell when a 44 year old guy has sex with a very underage girl (13, are you kidding me?) while also providing her with drugs. Her statements that she wasn't even willing make it disgusting beyond my belief.

I defy anybody to say how this is appropriate. Even totally willing, drug-free sex with a JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOLER is disgusting if you're not in junior high!

As far as i understand the defence from the last time this came up the idea is that he didn't know she was under age and he did what he did with lots of other girls, got drunk with them gave them drugs and acted in a way that director do (casting couch is not a phrase used for no reason) and given that he claims she was "willing" he didn't think to check an ID.

I think the other side was trying to show that he knew her age and as such it was at "best" statuary rape and at worst sexual abuse... and are trying to show that he knew her age and she was not and that's where the problems sprang from people saying that you can't call one worse than the other as they are both equaly horrid and it falls in to a equally awful circle jerk of self righteous nonces from both sides.

Fuck knows what the details are but there are conceivable reasons to argue in his defence if it's prove he didn't know the girl was underage. The only reason to bring in the case of another young girl who was of legal age who is saying he "forced" him self on her but is not moving to charge for rape is to try and establish a patten of behaviour with young girls that makes it likely he did know what age she was.

It's a subject that makes emotion run high and for the most part people are incapable of taking a step back from it... which is why i've not really pay that much attation other than to make fun of how the etreams on both sides are acting at the moment

Talk of which, how long until some one gets all worked over this post?

Chaos Machine
05-14-2010, 08:25 PM

its pretty repulsive in junior high too, pregger teens give me sadface.

Widgetcraft
05-14-2010, 08:34 PM
It's like the whole Michael Jackson thing--people can still like his music but hate the monster.

Except that there is a very, very good chance that every claim against Michael Jackson was total bullshit. I'm not even a fan of his music, but if you actually look into the original claims, there just doesn't seem to be anything there but a greedy-motherfucker with a kid in place to get close to Michael Jackson. He was openly boasting about the payout he was going to get from the lawsuit. Just to get the kid to say anything suggesting sexual abuse he had to be drugged and put under hypnosis.

Kelegacy
05-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Except that there is a very, very good chance that every claim against Michael Jackson was total bullshit. I'm not even a fan of his music, but if you actually look into the original claims, there just doesn't seem to be anything there but a greedy-motherfucker with a kid in place to get close to Michael Jackson. He was openly boasting about the payout he was going to get from the lawsuit. Just to get the kid to say anything suggesting sexual abuse he had to be drugged and put under hypnosis.

I don't know. I have a hard time disbelieving those claims. I'm sure some of the parents set their children up knowing there was a good chance he might do SOMETHING, even if it's just sleep in the same bed as them, (those parents are fucking demons if so) but I have a feeling that Jacko isn't innocent.

And Urizen is insane. Chinatown is a great film, probably his best, but Rosemary's Baby was fantastic and still remains that way to this day (it's in my DVD library) and I only just watched The Pianist this year and it was also a powerful film. Depressing, but excellent. I want to see the Ghost Writer, as I've heard that is great as well. I don't enjoy his entire catalog, but I respect the guy. Even if he only made Chinatown, I'd have to give him props.

The guy has a gift, but he also has some demons. People that shrug it off to his wife and unborn child's murder by the Mansons are looking for an excuse to sweep it under the rug. I don't doubt the guy went through hell, just like Jackson did as a youth under the regime of his father, but free will and all that jazz.

Kagger
05-14-2010, 10:37 PM
The guy has a gift, but he also has some demons. People that shrug it off to his wife and unborn child's murder by the Mansons are looking for an excuse to sweep it under the rug. I don't doubt the guy went through hell, just like Jackson did as a youth under the regime of his father, but free will and all that jazz.

Nothing can excuse him of his actual action, but I can at least pity the man. He probably suffered a breakdown due the murder of his wife. This is coming from someone who hasn't seen any his movies.

I have to say, this documentary (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1157705/) really made me stop despising the man of fleeing, and is why I'm in favor of the case being thrown out.

Deadend
05-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Whoa.

I really hope Polanski isn't a horrible creep, but I think he may be nearly as bad as his opponents portray him to be. I also am leaning toward just having the guy sit in Switzerland and be unable to visit other countries. But that implies guilt, which he may not be, but he probably is, and I don't really feel that not being allowed to visit other countries is such a punishment.

J Arcane
05-15-2010, 12:19 AM
He plead guilty to the first crime. We know he did that one. The conflict on that, and the reason he skipped bail, is that allegedly the judge and the prosecutor had it in for him, and conspired to reject his plea bargain and give him a harsher sentence than is usually given even for non-famous people, to make an example out of him. Whether this is true or not is all but impossible to prove at this point, because apparently the judge is dead, and the prosecutor keeps changing his tune.

Now this here, this is also an allegation, and nothing more. It may be true, it may not be. It's been an awful long time, and it'd be hard to prove either way. The fact that he did something like it before does make it a more believable allegation, but that doesn't make it true.

I don't know. Like someone said above, I've never really formulated much of a strong opinion one way or the other. I know that the specific case of his crime is one that gets people very tense, and I think that colors a lot of things.