PDA

View Full Version : [PSA] If you want a Nexus One, buy it now.

J Arcane
05-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Posting this outside the usual threads to make sure it's not missed.

Google is closing the web store for the Nexus One. (http://www.pcworld.com/article/196330/googles_nexus_one_web_store_going_out_of_business. html)

Sales haven't been great, and apparently it's very presence offends mobile carriers, who refuse to sign up because they want their cut of each sale. So Google's sadly giving the axe to what I think is the best way to buy a cell phone ever.

The Nexus One is a fantastic phone, and now that it's transitioning into selling through the cell providers, you can bet those phones won't be unlocked.

Buy your unlocked N1 today, because it isn't going to be up for much longer.

NoName
05-14-2010, 01:19 PM
At first I was like "Crap!" as I was thinking of getting one in a month or so maybe. Then I read this.

The phone itself isn't going anywhere; Google will just begin making it available in retail outlets instead of online.

And since Google charges full state tax already from their website, I'll be paying the same in the store as I would from Google. And I can always hope brick and mortar stores will be having a sale (or some good coupon for me to use).

So, while it sucks, this doesn't seem like the end...

J Arcane
05-14-2010, 01:25 PM
The phone won't be going away, it sounds like T-Mobile's finalyl going to start carrying them in store, but I'd imagine it's going to get a lot harder to get one off a contract, and unlocked, for that price. With a retail store adding in it's cut, the price is going to go up, and further still to get it unlocked. And of course it means you have to wait for one of the carriers to pick it up before you can get one that works with their network.

It's a mess buying phones anymore, I felt the N1 store was a great idea and a great way to buy a phone. Sure you miss the hands on but I've never gotten much out of handling a phone for half a minute in a store. If I went solely on instore experiences, I'd never have bought any phone with only a touchscreen.

Zagrash
05-14-2010, 02:56 PM
This does have me tempted to pull the trigger on one, there's still just something in the back of my head keeping me from doing it, and I'm not even entirely sure what that something is...probably still hoping the N2 will have a qwerty keyboard or something even though I've heard the N1's soft keyboard is quite a bit better than G1's

J Arcane
05-14-2010, 03:52 PM
This does have me tempted to pull the trigger on one, there's still just something in the back of my head keeping me from doing it, and I'm not even entirely sure what that something is...probably still hoping the N2 will have a qwerty keyboard or something even though I've heard the N1's soft keyboard is quite a bit better than G1's
Honestly, I had the same concern, but I think I'm actually faster, and no less accurate, on the N1 than I was on the G1's keyboard. The size and the resolution helps, though portrait mode still feels a bit cramped.

Zagrash
05-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Honestly, I had the same concern, but I think I'm actually faster, and no less accurate, on the N1 than I was on the G1's keyboard. The size and the resolution helps, though portrait mode still feels a bit cramped.

As long as it's more HTC than "sidekick" this rumored phone (http://androidandme.com/2010/05/news/t-mobile-htc-android-snapdragon-qwerty-sidekick-twist/) could be the answer I've been looking for