PDA

View Full Version : BBC America HD; Top Gear new time

Wraith
05-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Not sure about other providers, but DISH finally got BBC America in HD this week. Much, much better. *Edit* Or else DISH has had it for months now, but it's only shown up in the guide on my receiver in the last few days.

Oh, and Top Gear's moving to 9 Eastern/8 Central. (So for me, after Chuck, shares a half hour with Big Bang Theory, before Castle.) Though next week looks like a rerun...

I know a lot of American fans skip BBCA's episodes entirely, since they're x-many months behind the original airing (at least they're not as far behind as they used to be). But this is how I watch the show.

DoctorFinger
05-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Unfortunately DirecTV isn't getting BBCA in HD anytime soon. But that's how I watch the show, too. What I don't really get is why BBCA is now airing Star Trek: TNG. I mean, I watch it occasionally on it, but it's not really something I expect to see on BBCA.

J Arcane
05-02-2010, 11:34 AM
BBCA is basically just a dumping ground for random shit anymore.

I get all my Top Gear the other way, a day after it airs in Britain, because I want to actually watch the episode the creators intended, not some hacked apart thing 2 years after the fact.

Wraith
05-02-2010, 11:38 AM
They're "only" about 4-5 months behind at the moment, at least based on last week's episode.

How much actually gets cut out? It's pretty obvious they cut down on the Star in a Reasonably priced car segment (and have in the past cut it out entirely).

J Arcane
05-02-2010, 11:40 AM
All the music gets cut too, which to me is a pretty big thing, because their music choices are generally very, very well done, and often quite clever. Them playing Hellmarch to Hammond driving the new Challenger was hilarious.

muddi900
05-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Was the Challenger one the episode where they visit Bonneville? Man that might be the greatest episode of any variety/reality show ever.

Also, good for you!

Hauser1981
05-02-2010, 02:20 PM
The Biggest Thing i miss about Top Gear on BBC America is the News. Those guys are hilarious during that segment and it is sad to see it cut all the time. Good thing the Itunes versions are uncut other than Season 10. Favorite Episode has to be The Truffle Race in season 7

muddi900
05-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Exciting News! The Daecia Sandero will come in Red!

CES
05-02-2010, 03:09 PM
All the music gets cut too, which to me is a pretty big thing, because their music choices are generally very, very well done, and often quite clever. Them playing Hellmarch to Hammond driving the new Challenger was hilarious.

They've also used Halo 2 music during the Jaguar XF segment (fitting as the dash lights are the same colour as the Halo HUD) and they used a part of The Dark Knight soundtrack for one of AMG's Black series cars.

They're "only" about 4-5 months behind at the moment, at least based on last week's episode.

How much actually gets cut out? It's pretty obvious they cut down on the Star in a Reasonably priced car segment (and have in the past cut it out entirely).

They cut down around 20 minutes from the show which is usually close to the Star segments. If they want to do that with the actual version of the show they broadcast on BBC2 here, I'd be for it. Either cut it altogether or replace it.

Zero
05-02-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm pretty sure the season is over stateside. They advertised the season finale a couple of weeks ago.

Vandabo
05-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Count me among those who can't stand the edited/diluted crap that gets shown on our side.

For me, the biggest part is the music. Taking out the music choices they make is like removing the score from Star Wars and replacing it with elevator muzak.

Oh, if only they could get the licensing to make DVD's of the show. They would make billions, including a few hundred from me.

Inspector Fowler
05-02-2010, 05:36 PM
That music will never legally make it to the States. The licensing behind it would be insane. The Dark Knight music was on an episode that I watched within a week or two of it being in theaters.

I'm telling you - I'd pay for a DVD or Blu-ray subscription to this show, where they send me uncut discs (with extra footage, to be nice) as they complete a few episodes. I bought the season 10 DVD set and I purchase the newer episodes online.

DoctorFinger
05-03-2010, 09:48 AM
The music they use more often than not here in the US used to be the entrance themes of WWF/WWE wrestlers about 10 years ago (they're public domain or really cheap to license). Kind of a nostalgic kick to hear them sometimes.