PDA

View Full Version : Buy Singularity, Get Prototype For Free

DoctorFinger
04-28-2010, 02:19 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3482/3295421588_58626785b3.jpg

Now this is interesting. Activision has begun the PR push for their next big title - Raven Software's Singularity - by throwing in a free game.

For a limited time anyone buying an Xbox 360 copy of Singularity will get a free copy of last summer's Prototype by mail. It goes without saying that the deal only applies to new copies of the game. At this time it appears gamers on the Playstation 3 and PC are out of luck for this particular deal.

Is "buy one game, get one free" the new trend? We saw it recently with THQ (Darksiders purchase nets you a copy of Red Faction: Guerrilla), while Activision did this last year with Guitar Hero 5 and Guitar Hero: Van Halen. While things like this have been happening on the PC side of the street for a while now, it's an interesting new tactic with consoles. Not only is it a relatively low cost bonus for early adopters, it gets an under-performing game the publisher was fairly high on - Prototype - into more hands.

Singularity is set for a June 29 release on the 360, PS3 and PC.

menage
04-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Shame Prototype is a piece of shit:D

Am curious about thus game .... a bit.

National Kato
04-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Prototype had so much potential. Many parts of the game were great...it just failed to deliver.

Which is why I own a copy of inFamous. ;)

Jackel
04-28-2010, 02:32 PM
I failed to do my research and I bought Prototype for 10$ from gamefly....I played all of an hour of it before putting it down.

Wilkz07
04-28-2010, 02:52 PM
sounds like a good deal but most likely its us only.

Adam Blue
04-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Yeah, Prototype isn't that fun, but maybe 10 minutes here and there would do. I could see myself buying Singularity. I think Wolfenstein and Wolverine were worth the price of admission.

paketep
04-28-2010, 03:42 PM
It's still Activision, sooooooo.. nope.

JayK47
04-28-2010, 03:45 PM
I would consider this if I had not rented and got bored of Prototype already. An ok game with much lost potential. Singularity reminds me of so many recent FPS games with a gimmick. If a FPS game needs a gimmick to separate it from the crowd, it no doubt sucks. If it turns out to be anything besides a generic shooter with a gimmick, I may have to buy it.

Narradisall
04-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Prototype sucked balls. That's a reason for me not to touch this!

I'm surprised at all the prototype hate though, when it had a thread here most people cept me were singing it's praises....

MalReynolds
04-28-2010, 03:47 PM
i decided to buy nothing activision and you know what ... Im not missing much

Shieldmaiden
04-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Meh, I enjoyed Prototype, although it's over-reliance on enemies with cheap attacks towards the end got tiresome.

Spectre-7
04-28-2010, 04:03 PM
I might be interested in Prototype were it on a ridiculous enough sale... I mean, I love sandboxes and wanton destruction, but everything I've heard (this thread included) said to wait until they're practically giving it away.

I suppose this is practically giving it away, but Singularity has completely failed to catch my interest. At some point in the past, it very nearly elicited a meh from me, but I haven't been able to muster even that much give a damn.

Deadend
04-28-2010, 04:44 PM
I like this idea of promoting games.

As games tend not to sell copies in their 2nd year that much, and if they can help move copies of a new game.. awesome.

Prototype was shit, just due to the clash between the moveset and what WORKED. So many of the games moves and combat abilities focused around holding ground and combos and long chargeup.. but then the foes used rocketlaunchers that knock the player around and had a tendency toward foes that couldn't be comboed.. meaning that the only things to do were jumpkicks and throwing cars while running nonstop.

Adam Blue
04-28-2010, 04:59 PM
It's still Activision, sooooooo.. nope.

But don't you like Raven Software, the developers of the game?

digitalErich
04-28-2010, 07:12 PM
I'd completely forgotten Raven made this game...I'll have to pay a little more attention to it, but it's still not a day-1 purchase just yet.

Kelegacy
04-28-2010, 07:49 PM
I failed to do my research and I bought Prototype for 10$ from gamefly....I played all of an hour of it before putting it down.

I did the exact same. I thought it would be killer for $10. But alas I put it down. This sandbox is missing most of the fun. I might pick it up in the future, but I'd rather play something like Just Cause 2 or even the Saboteur first.

Kelegacy
04-28-2010, 07:51 PM
But don't you like Raven Software, the developers of the game?

I think Raven is decent, but I still wouldn't buy their game new since it's from Activision as well. My own little boycott. It's a shame too, since it's a new IP. Oh well.

I will pick it up used, as I do with all Activision games, and for cheap. Being a FPS, it should drop fairly quickly. Amazon had Wolfenstein for $12 not too long ago, and I wish I had picked it up. Another Raven game I overlooked because it was Activision.

Wolverine was great but it was another $10 game used from Gamefly.

MagGnome
04-28-2010, 08:11 PM
As DocFinger said, this has been happening on the PC for a while now, especially on Steam. THQ has given away Red Faction: Guerrilla with numerous games, the first Splinter Cell was free with Conviction, etc. It's a very common promotion for pre-orders on Steam.

Kielaran
04-28-2010, 08:21 PM
I enjoyed Prototype. I didn't realize there was so much hate for it.

Purple Santa
04-28-2010, 08:29 PM
I enjoyed Prototype. I didn't realize there was so much hate for it.

I remember when it came out last year, it was getting more love. I think those that picked it up later were more indifferent toward the game. And of course I agree with my gaming twin, National Kato. inFamous was a more fun game :D

Iron Past
04-28-2010, 09:23 PM
I like this early-adoption (read: not pre-order) bonus about a million times better than all the 'free' DLC bullshit, which I think really, horribly dates a game.

As for Prototype, I liked it, though I have yet to finish it (and yes, it had its problems). InFamous I really, really, really enjoyed when I first started and then it dragged waaaaaaaaay down and I haven't finished that yet, either. I plan on putting both back in the drive at some point...

Darkmatter
04-28-2010, 09:54 PM
I wonder if Acti will actually mail the free game or will they just refuse to actually do it? We already know contracts don't mean much to them. Maybe they'll just send people letters saying that the person broke a rule in the fineprint and instead of getting a game will get a legal threat?

bryan
04-29-2010, 01:49 AM
C'mon Prototype was far from shit. It had a lot of unrealized potential but still fun in it's own right. And nothing felt cheap, yes rockets are gonna knock you on your ass, so you gotta be more cunning in how you use your powers. My brother and I both played the game on PC and didn't have any trouble using any of the powers.

As for Singularity, intriguing concept, wanna see some gameplay. The CG trailer was cool.

MagGnome
04-29-2010, 06:09 AM
I wonder if Acti will actually mail the free game or will they just refuse to actually do it? We already know contracts don't mean much to them. Maybe they'll just send people letters saying that the person broke a rule in the fineprint and instead of getting a game will get a legal threat?

I laughed. Good show!

SilentScreams
04-29-2010, 06:21 AM
I enjoyed Prototype. I played it for longer than I played InFamous anyway. Elbow dropping tanks was more fun than making peoples hair stand up on end.

torrefaction
04-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Prototype was great. You people are insane. Story sucked, gameplay was awesome.

Paradox Symphony
05-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Shame Prototype is a piece of shit:D

That's debatable. It was no sixty dollar title but it held up as an undeiniabley fun sandbox. It's just that the story and main missions sucked. And for free, how could you say 'shame'?