PDA

View Full Version : MAME Help

nabokovfan87
04-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Hey all,

So I just got my VIA (made by rosewill) usb card to make my ps3 sf4 arcade stick work on my pc, wonderful. Only issue is I can't get 90% of the games to work. Anyone here who has or uses MAME mind giving me a step by step at how to get the neo geo bios and other stuff working (I think asteroids takes a different one).

So far all I found was to download the clrmamepro utility, but that hasnt worked at all. When I search on youtube and such everything is mame32 with a nice user interface and everything, the one I downloaded is 64 bit and has no user interface other then select the rom and go.

thanks,
-nabokovfan87

Hawkzombie
04-25-2010, 01:16 PM
As far as I know, this forum doesn't support piracy.

carnage11
04-25-2010, 01:16 PM
I use Kawaks and it is 64-bit and has a nice windowed UI and configurable options. Maybe try that and see if it helps?

mightbe
04-25-2010, 01:59 PM
This forum definitely does not support signing your posts.

-mightbe

TrackZero
04-25-2010, 02:04 PM

It sure doesn't. But MAME falls in that very interesting middle zone. As the app itself is legal and many of the ROMs out there exist is a no-mans land. Where the IP owner doesn't care, or the IP owner died and the rights were lost, etc. Really depends. Now if he was specifically saying "I can't get Marvel vs Capcom working in MAME", well we know Capcom would have something to say about that.

TrackZero
04-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Hey all,

So I just got my VIA (made by rosewill) usb card to make my ps3 sf4 arcade stick work on my pc, wonderful. Only issue is I can't get 90% of the games to work. Anyone here who has or uses MAME mind giving me a step by step at how to get the neo geo bios and other stuff working (I think asteroids takes a different one).

So far all I found was to download the clrmamepro utility, but that hasnt worked at all. When I search on youtube and such everything is mame32 with a nice user interface and everything, the one I downloaded is 64 bit and has no user interface other then select the rom and go.

thanks,
-nabokovfan87

Assuming you have your fight stick set up as a windows joystick and it works fine it it's testing, you just have to make sure MAME is using the windows direct input as it's method.

Karak
04-25-2010, 02:55 PM

Wooo Good Sir. Back that little horsie up a moment:)
There are literally fucking tons of totally legal Roms. Mame and those kinds of things are frontends. Lets not be to instant to judge.

And we have pirates right here admitting all the time that they download and most people don't get on them. So...this guy hasn't even got that far yet.

Mot Wakorb
04-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Hey all,

thanks,
-nabokovfan87

Then you really need MAME32. The 64-bit is INI driven and hard to use. If you use MAME32, the GUI will help you do a lot. Just remember, ROMs go in the roms subdirectory of the MAME32 install. For any Neo Geo games, you need the neogeo ROM zipfile as well as the games themselves. Once you put games into those directories, you'll need to rescan so that MAME32 can find the games.

Your joystick should work just fine in MAME32 - like Track said, make sure it's Windows compatible.

Widgetcraft
04-25-2010, 03:39 PM
MAME32 is different than MAME (64-bit or 32-bit). MAME32 was made to have a nice GUI, and I think it might be maintained by a different group than MAME (which it is based on). MAME32 has since switched it's name to MameUI (http://www.mameui.info/), as it now comes in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors. It's pretty easy to install, and much easier than fucking around with the regular version of MAME.

Hawkzombie
04-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Actually, my comment was referencing the NeoGeo BIOS bit in the OP. As far as I know that is still 'no-no' territory, unless SNK/NeoGeo have released it for public consumption and I missed that...

EDIT: And yes, I'm fully aware emulators themselves aren't piracy, as I've used several to play legal ROMS, etc. But generally BIOS are where you get into the sticky illegal territory. Hell, I've got MAME too.

Karak
04-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Actually, my comment was referencing the NeoGeo BIOS bit in the OP. As far as I know that is still 'no-no' territory, unless SNK/NeoGeo have released it for public consumption and I missed that...

EDIT: And yes, I'm fully aware emulators themselves aren't piracy, as I've used several to play legal ROMS, etc. But generally BIOS are where you get into the sticky illegal territory. Hell, I've got MAME too.

Yep your 100% right on. I missed that.

J Arcane
04-25-2010, 07:31 PM
I use MameUI64, which is a great combination front-end + executable all in one package, really the only good way to get MAME working IMO.

As for BIOS files, well, that's what Google is for. I hear there's a planet somewhere that has a bunch of emulation stuff, but who knows.

Widgetcraft
04-25-2010, 09:18 PM

He wasn't asking to download the bios, he said he wanted to get his games working with the bios. You have no evidence that he pirated them. Now let's all be grown ups and forget about this stupid bullshit, unless someone here happens to work for SNK.

nabokovfan87
04-25-2010, 09:28 PM
MAME32 is different than MAME (64-bit or 32-bit). MAME32 was made to have a nice GUI, and I think it might be maintained by a different group than MAME (which it is based on). MAME32 has since switched it's name to MameUI (http://www.mameui.info/), as it now comes in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors. It's pretty easy to install, and much easier than fucking around with the regular version of MAME.

Thank you.

And as for those who are asking about piracy, I didn't ask about piracy, mention it, or bring up anything illegal, just how to get a piece of software working.

BTW, I don't pirate games, not by a long shot. I'm happy to sit here and play CS all day and not the latest and greatest.

Lekon
04-25-2010, 09:39 PM

Goddammit. Now I have to throw away my "Go Sommalian Boaters!" shirt.

Karak
04-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Thank you.

And as for those who are asking about piracy, I didn't ask about piracy, mention it, or bring up anything illegal, just how to get a piece of software working.

BTW, I don't pirate games, not by a long shot. I'm happy to sit here and play CS all day and not the latest and greatest.

Ya if you read the thread the original poster saw something in your post that actually IS NOT ok. So that's why he responded. Carry on and by all means don't defend yourself to anyone here or ever feel you need to.

Judging by the PM's and random posts by people there are many here who do it on the DL for reasons both good and bad. Move on and get that damn Mame working sir:)

nabokovfan87
04-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Ya if you read the thread the original poster saw something in your post that actually IS NOT ok. So that's why he responded. Carry on and by all means don't defend yourself to anyone here or ever feel you need to.

Judging by the PM's and random posts by people there are many here who do it on the DL for reasons both good and bad. Move on and get that damn Mame working sir:)

Will do, I got the new mame program, tried some stuff out and am getting "file missing errors", checking it out to see if those are indeed messed up, but thanks for the help, I had no idea mameUI was different at all from MAME.

Karak
04-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Will do, I got the new mame program, tried some stuff out and am getting "file missing errors", checking it out to see if those are indeed messed up, but thanks for the help, I had no idea mameUI was different at all from MAME.

Any headway?

nabokovfan87
04-27-2010, 10:46 PM
I got the neo geo stuff working, am still working on getting games to work.

It doesn't like my fight stick and when I went to play a game last time it used the top 4 buttons and the left bottom one, on the top row though, it skipped either the 3rd or 2nd one. Went to a guide on another website about how to map it, that is where I am at now.

Important thing I just found out, if you want to play the "child" rom of a set you need the "parent"

Oh programming....

Banacek
04-27-2010, 11:05 PM
I wish it was possible to have a MAME App Store, where you could buy ROMs for the classics at like, 99 cents a pop. But apparently the legality of setting something like that up would cost more then the store could possibly make. I also wish Golden Tee would come out yearly for the PC, but I'm living in a dream world.

J Arcane
04-27-2010, 11:48 PM
The "child"/"parent" thing is definitely pretty key to getting games to work. MAWS is a great resource for finding out the needed info for that stuff: http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/

The other thing to consider is the version of your ROMs and BIOS files. MAME dumps aren't like other emulators, they tend to be pretty specific to a version of MAME, as specs and drivers change from version to version and demand different sets of files. So if your version of MAME is newer than your BIOS files, you'll find that set won't work.

Honestly, that was the hardest part for me, was getting files new enough that they worked with the newest version of MameUI, as a lot of the ones floating around on the internet are ancient as hell and just don't work with newer MAME versions.

nabokovfan87
04-28-2010, 06:28 AM
I wish it was possible to have a MAME App Store, where you could buy ROMs for the classics at like, 99 cents a pop. But apparently the legality of setting something like that up would cost more then the store could possibly make. I also wish Golden Tee would come out yearly for the PC, but I'm living in a dream world.

YES! and get shit to work instead of scower the net to find the right version of some file.

So right now I have the error free version of neogeo bios, and am still getting errors, funny thing is, I get the error and then the rom works.... well, some of them.

Hawkzombie
04-28-2010, 05:00 PM
YES! and get shit to work instead of scower the net to find the right version of some file.

So right now I have the error free version of neogeo bios, and am still getting errors, funny thing is, I get the error and then the rom works.... well, some of them.

Ok, we get it, you have the BIOS...but as was stated earlier, talk all you want about MAME, but not about any BIOS files. Is it really that hard to understand? :p

nabokovfan87
04-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Just close and delete the thread. Honestly, I am not trying to pirate anything, I am not trying to portray this site as full of pirates or anything, deepest apologies for making you think that.

The entire point of setting up MAME and getting something to work is to verify that my fightstick work in windows, it isnt the xbox version and it technically shouldn't be, but the usb add-on card somehow allows it to be read as the xbox version, or just as a generic controller (probably the latter). With this knowledge, I can actually go out and buy SFIV on pc and other arcade type games.

As you can hopefully tell, I essentially was using MAME for first time and had no idea what I was doing, and researching didn't help at all. Like I said many times now, I do not pirate games, and I will gladly play something older instead of pirating something, and the entire reason for doing this was to lead me to go and buy something.

Karak
04-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Calm down guys.
First, I love you all but true piracy(not old stuff thats uber hard to find at times) of current games is talked about, threatened due to bad DRM, and otherwise almost fucking daily here. So Nab-stop talking about the bios but keep the thread open to get the help.

Hawk- He wasn't asking or anything just saying he had it.
I have a bunch of old copied Apple 2C games. There we are even;)

Carry on good sirs.
I am out!

Karak
04-28-2010, 09:34 PM
PS it also sounds like Jarcane knows a bit about this. Ask him if you can PM or get him back into the thread.

Hawkzombie
04-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Bah...I just have a stick up my butt. I'm a hypocrite anyway. Ignore me.

Karak
04-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Bah...I just have a stick up my butt. I'm a hypocrite anyway. Ignore me.

I can't ignore you good sir. You complete me.
Hahahahahahaha.

Hawkzombie
04-29-2010, 12:27 AM
I can't ignore you good sir. You complete me.
Hahahahahahaha.

The answer is still no to holding my wife's hair during any and all lovemaking :p