PDA

View Full Version : The Combat of Star Wars: The Old Republic

DoctorFinger
04-23-2010, 06:42 AM

From the day it was officially announced - which to be fair was about 2 years after everyone knew it was in development - Bioware has been raving about the combat in Star Wars: The Old Republic. EA and Bioware clearly see this title as the best chance to rival Blizzard's behemoth World of Warcraft, and the first club out of the bag is the promise of faster, less sedate combat. And as you can see from this video it looks like they may deliver.

Almost right off the bat you'll be flipping about with your lightsaber whirling. Force powerful characters like Jedi and Sith aren't the only ones with cool moves. Bounty hunters can rocket dive their enemies, or rain death from above. Classes with more of a ranged weapon focus - like Smugglers and Imperial Agents - can put up a mini force shield to provide some cover.

Look for more info on Star Wars: The Old Republic to come out around E3 in June.

Hotcod
04-23-2010, 07:20 AM
How can this just keep looking better and better? I WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT

MosBen
04-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Seriously, I kicked my WoW and City of Heroes habits years ago now, but this is really starting to revive the old itch...

Rakael
04-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Holy crap! This may be the MMO that actually grabs me by the nuts and starts running.

Satertek
04-23-2010, 08:14 AM
No UI is shown so it's still hard to tell. There could very will still be just a standard number bar with abilities...only they look...cooler.

I'm still really hopeful, but I have my doubts on any kind of complicated combat system. There's a reason it's always been kept simple, especially for PvP, lag becomes huge the more complex the system is.

c0m3d14n
04-23-2010, 08:39 AM
i hate it! i was so glad when i one day, suddenly, decided not to log into wow anymore, 2 years ago. i thought i got over stupidly pouring senseless hours into a mmo, but this is tempting, which i hate!

Exodus
04-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Well, the combat itself is boring. It's updated kotor, whoopy doo the choreograph has better work done but it's stell swing swing and a little stumble animation but nothing that really conveys what you did unless it's a knockdown/last hit.

Getting over that this game sold me with the bounty hunter and I hope to god I can use wrist rockets/mandalorian-esque darts...oh man it looked crappy at first but I'm all in now.

Shjinta
04-23-2010, 08:59 AM
I don't see anything different. Still standing there bashing your face into the keyboard..

Karmakin
04-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Holy crap

For a MMORPG that looks not just awful but bug-nuts awful. Now if it were a single-player or even a small-group game (think D2 or Borderlands), it would look pretty good.

But it REALLY looks like one of those games that puts together a really impressive early level experience and then utterly falls apart about half way through. There's been a ton of those lately, to be honest virtually every major MMORPG release suffers from this.

If you really want to compete with WoW, you have to build a long-lasting community. And in order to do that, you have to give people a reason to stick around. Extending the grind or hoping for alt-itis doesn't really work. You need to provide a compelling end game. In fact, you need to design your entire system around the endgame, and not around what looks cool.

I'm not saying it'll be a bad game. Just that it'll be a forgettable money-grab of a MMO.

Blue
04-23-2010, 09:01 AM
While I desperately desperately want this, I think I'm more hyped for FF XIV which somehow seems sacrilegious to me.

crazyD
04-23-2010, 09:20 AM
The combat looks better than standard in MMOs, but I bet it's all nice animations over the same old gameplay.

Hotcod
04-23-2010, 09:22 AM
No UI is shown so it's still hard to tell. There could very will still be just a standard number bar with abilities...only they look...cooler.

I'm still really hopeful, but I have my doubts on any kind of complicated combat system. There's a reason it's always been kept simple, especially for PvP, lag becomes huge the more complex the system is.

If you've seen other game play vids and stuff it is very much action bar based.

Personally I'm not looking for them to reinvent this part of the mmo wheel. I enjoy WoW's combat, it's not the most exciting stuff ever but it's sold and fun enough and works as part of an mmo. If they can produce something in the same vain that looks a bit cooler i'm all for it, so long as it's not bad i'll be perfectly happy. And from that video it looks at lest competent and is looking better early videos of it so that's all good.

So long as the underpinning combat system isn't broken then it shouldn't drag down what is going to be the unique cool stuff there doing which is what i'm most excited about.

Karak
04-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Ug. That really brings me down. I am not excited about having my 1st level characters doing flips and rolls and jumpkicks and huge force attacks. We will see but what they just explained turned me off almost instantly.
Also this thing is looking more and more dated every moment.

Karmakin
04-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Ug. That really brings me down. I am not excited about having my 1st level characters doing flips and rolls and jumpkicks and huge force attacks. We will see but what they just explained turned me off almost instantly.
Also this thing is looking more and more dated every moment.

I assumed it was just the video. There's no way they'd release a game that ran normally at 20 FPS or so these days.

crazyD
04-23-2010, 09:47 AM

So, you want the game to be bland early on?

Hotcod
04-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Well I think the idea the "cool" factor is one built in to levelling up. One of the satisfying things about leveling is that you end up far more bad ass than you started, it's a reward for the effort you put in. But if you start off rather bad ass just how much can you ramp it up over time before it becomes silly? The ideal balance is a start that while not dull isn't very cool leading to you being a intergalatic bad ass. I think peoples reservations here is that they've made early on too 'bad ass' to leave room for growth over the levels so that 'bad ass' later on becomes boring.

crazyD
04-23-2010, 10:40 AM
... Instead of the initial levels being (at least visually) boring. I don't have a problem with a game making it so I don't start out as a dude in rags hitting rats awkwardly with a stick.

Karak
04-23-2010, 10:48 AM
So, you want the game to be bland early on?
Wow! That right there is a mini max statement:)

I would like to at least BARELY fit the story/universe though. And if they do this it won't. If you want your first level fighting like the Yoda/Dukku fight, thats totally respectable. I do not. I like to level up, feel like my character is growing in power and learning things. Instant gratification is great in an XBLA game, but you don't need to do that in an MMO. And you 100% don't need to grind in them.
I am going to wait to see. Perhaps they were just excited to explain that you may have some powers. But if every single person running around is doing flips and double lightsabers and force lighting I could easily get bored.

crazyD
04-23-2010, 10:50 AM
You can still learn new moves and gain more powerful while still starting out looking cool.

Karak
04-23-2010, 10:50 AM
I assumed it was just the video. There's no way they'd release a game that ran normally at 20 FPS or so these days.

Oh for sure. I actually just meant the characters, effects and look. Maybe lately I have been getting spoiled by other games. It just looks really basic compared to others. But those guys usually know how to put the polish on.
However, I am not sure why I posted about this. I am not supporting Bioware at the moment anyway so I don't have plans to buy it.

I do hope they do it right. Just so that we have a good movie/universe to MMO game. Which has not been the case in the past for most.

Karak
04-23-2010, 10:51 AM
You can still learn new moves and gain more powerful while still starting out looking cool.

Are you responding to me?

crazyD
04-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Are you responding to me?

Indeed I am. You don't need to start completely useless in order to get better.

Karak
04-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Indeed I am. You don't need to start completely useless in order to get better.

Ok I just want to make sure. Jumping into other conversations have caused shitstorms around here lately and I just like to make sure before I pipe in.
That being said
Your right.
But again that's not at all what I said. I never said. "Hey lets start useless"

My opinion of a padawan with a lightsaber appears to be higher than yours. Even someone swinging a lightsaber even if it's like a baseball bat is still far from useless.
I just might be a bit more frightened than you if someone came after me with an almost mystical blade of burning plasma.

crazyD
04-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Ok I just want to make sure. Jumping into other conversations have caused shitstorms around here lately and I just like to make sure before I pipe in.
That being said
Your right.
But again that's not at all what I said. I never said. "Hey lets start useless"

My opinion of a padawan with a lightsaber appears to be higher than yours. Even someone swinging a lightsaber even if it's like a baseball bat is still far from useless.
I just might be a bit more frightened than you if someone came after me with an almost mystical blade of burning plasma.

Why do you have to start as a padawan?

Karak
04-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Why do you have to start as a padawan?
Question does not compute.

wyeast
04-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Holy crap

For a MMORPG that looks not just awful but bug-nuts awful. Now if it were a single-player or even a small-group game (think D2 or Borderlands), it would look pretty good.
For the love of all that is holy, we need Borderlands - meets - Star Wars. MAKE IT SO! :o

MosBen
04-23-2010, 11:47 AM
No kidding, I still can't get enough Borderlands. Throw in Star Wars to the mix and I might never stop. Actually, I'd really like a much better story than Borderlands. I know, the story wasn't the focus, but it was still pretty thin. Give me a good Bioware story with 4+ player co-op and I'll be in bliss. Ok, actually, give me Borderlands plus Star Wars, then broaden the scope. Rather than running around on one planet, give me multiple planets. Also, the ability to buy/upgrade space ships and skirmishes where your team of 4-10 players man different aspects of the ship(s).

crazyD
04-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Question does not compute.

Why don't you instead start as a baby, with a slow progression of accidental force use. You grind your way through the first few years of life, before being recruited to initial training. You then become a Padawan.

Or why not start out as an already pretty cool Jedi Knight? I mean, there's plenty of room to go up, and you feel cool at the start.

MosBen
04-23-2010, 11:49 AM
As to the "getting it right" debate, whenever these sorts of discussions break out I always get reminded that WoW took a reletively long time to get it right. Penny Arcade bagged on it for quite a while before they turned and got addicted.

The trick with this is going to make the game compelling enough for people to stick around for the Star Wars long enough for them to find out what's not working and fix it.

Karak
04-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Why don't you instead start as a baby, with a slow progression of accidental force use. You grind your way through the first few years of life, before being recruited to initial training. You then become a Padawan.

Ah I see where this is going. Continue in whatever fashion you wish.

KillerMcDead
04-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Well I think the idea the "cool" factor is one built in to levelling up. One of the satisfying things about leveling is that you end up far more bad ass than you started, it's a reward for the effort you put in. But if you start off rather bad ass just how much can you ramp it up over time before it becomes silly? The ideal balance is a start that while not dull isn't very cool leading to you being a intergalatic bad ass. I think peoples reservations here is that they've made early on too 'bad ass' to leave room for growth over the levels so that 'bad ass' later on becomes boring.

Well as Starkiller in Force Unleashed I was able to pull a Star Destroyer out of the sky. So at least they have alot of room to work with...

Ravenlock
04-23-2010, 06:53 PM
If you hit an enemy with a lightsaber, and he reacts as though you have smacked him with a heavy stick, you are not replicating Star Wars combat.

It's really that simple, and Jedi Outcast is still the only game to get it more or less right. Even Force Unleashed with its super physics etc etc still had storm troopers shrugging off lightsaber hits as though they were only mildly irritating.

It just looks goddamned ridiculous. It's dumb enough when games do it with swords, but you're working in a world where the fiction is so very clear on what a lightsaber is and what it does, and yet they just completely ignore that when it comes to setting up the combat. There's only one reason lightsaber combat in concept (and to some degree in the movies) is as thrilling as it is, and that's the expectation that when one person scores a hit, the other person dies. I don't play a Star Wars game to play with fucking nerf bats.

The Assassin's Creed games make their metal swords 10 times more lethal than Star Wars games make their lightsabers.

Hawkzombie
04-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Am I the only one who thinks William Wallace looks 10?

And Good GOD this game keeps getting better and better. If it lives up to even half the hype, it's gonna be worth it.

Xerxes
04-23-2010, 08:25 PM
This or Guild War 2? Hmmmmm.

Ravenlock does bring something interesting in thought, but in game RPGS namely, you've seen several things more powerful than light sabers attacks. It's the name of the game namely. Other wise you'd be playing a action games.

You're being generous. I've seen fetuses that look older than him. But his head looks huge.

Hawkzombie
04-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah, that always got to me as well, honestly. But if you had a game like that where Lightsabers were actually doing what they could do all the time, people would complain MORE than the purists. It's either too easy, or it's so skewed towards the instant win button of a lightsaber, everyone has a jedi simply to avoid being killed in one hit in PvP, etc.

For an MMo I can understand and accept it. For a game, it makes more sense to go with that instant hit kill. One thing I liked about KOTOR was how they explained vibro-blades as being crafted to basically hit the opposite frequency of a lightsaber 'the weapon that can cut through anything' to give non-jedi a chance.

Ravenlock
04-23-2010, 08:46 PM
For Jedi vs. Jedi combat it's actually easier to fix in an MMO than in an action game - all you need to do is change the "meter" from a health meter to a stamina meter, or a focus meter, or whatever. Program the combat animations such that blocks and dodges are the choreography until one player's something-other-than-health meter is depleted. At that point, a cinematic one-hit kill occurs. Voila, you've matched every other MMO combat model and you've actually made it look and feel like Star Wars.

As for Jedi vs. non-Jedi combat... well, yeah, a Jedi should be able to take out a whole bunch of grunts with a single stroke, that's kind of the fiction. For PC vs. NPC, you fix it by throwing a lot more guys at them, and have the difficulty be dealing with numbers rather than whacking one guy 50 times with your cuts-through-anything beam. For PC vs. PC combat, I imagine something like vibro-blades would be necessary, but as you noted they're already in the universe via Bioware, so no huge problem there.

Hawkzombie
04-23-2010, 08:49 PM
So, your solution is to basically have them dodge/block all attacks until their meter is depleted, and then WHAM, instant death strike?

Intriguing, but for some reason I can't see it in practice. Mostly with how quickly a lightsaber battle can end, and what about grenades? You obviously can't block those, you're blown to pieces.

But your idea is an intriguing solution to that problem of nerf bats.

Ravenlock
04-23-2010, 09:04 PM
So, your solution is to basically have them dodge/block all attacks until their meter is depleted, and then WHAM, instant death strike?

You mean like almost every Jedi lightsaber battle in every Star Wars film or piece of fiction ever? Yes, that is what I mean. :p

Intriguing, but for some reason I can't see it in practice. Mostly with how quickly a lightsaber battle can end, and what about grenades? You obviously can't block those, you're blown to pieces.

Still have a health meter to deal with other types of damage. If it drops to zero, that also kills you. A strike with a lightsaber - which only gets through if your "focus" is depleted - drops it to zero instantly. In fact, that would yield a whole other sort of strategy - do you try to wear down a Jedi / Sith's "focus" with your lightsaber trying to go for the one hit kill, or do you wear down their health gradually via conventional damage?

I'm not even saying this is the right solution. I'm just saying it isn't that hard to come up with potential alternate models, and yet it's been 8 years since Jedi Outcast (which at least had dismemberment, if you turned it on) and still we have the nerf bats.

Ravenlock
04-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Actually, now that you've pointed out the difference and I'm thinking about it, a lightsaber vs. vibroblade fight where the Jedi is trying to wear down the vibroblade user's focus so he can get that one vital strike in, while the vibroblade guy is trying to kill the Jedi via a hundred little cuts, sounds fucking awesome.

Hawkzombie
04-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Actually, now that you've pointed out the difference and I'm thinking about it, a lightsaber vs. vibroblade fight where the Jedi is trying to wear down the vibroblade user's focus so he can get that one vital strike in, while the vibroblade guy is trying to kill the Jedi via a hundred little cuts, sounds fucking awesome.

Thanks. Now we'll both want this and be disappointed no matter what :p

Ravenlock
04-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Well, then, my work here is done. ;)

Karak
04-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks. Now we'll both want this and be disappointed no matter what :p

...Sigh.
Indeed. With some of the mods for KOTOR this is exactly the awesomeness that would happen.

Vigil80
04-23-2010, 10:29 PM
In the space of a few minutes, I was intrigued about watching the video, then didn't give a crap about it suddenly. Thank you, Ravenlock.

(You're totally right, by the way.)

Karak
04-23-2010, 10:36 PM
In the space of a few minutes, I was intrigued about watching the video, then didn't give a crap about it suddenly. Thank you, Ravenlock.

(You're totally right, by the way.)

It won't make the game look better(Currently those videos look like a fucking Dreamcast game) hahahahahhaa.
But ya that kind of thing would make me interested. It wouldn't reverse the stupidity of having your level one character doing somersaults, and back flips and force chokes but its a start.

Hawkzombie
04-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Dude, I want your dreamcast, because IMO they certainly don't look THAT bad.

Disgustipated
04-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Awesome combat but...

ROFL @ "William Wallace", Senior Game Designer at Bioware. He looks like a 12 year old boy/midget. When he popped up I couldn't stop laughing. Go to 2:40 in the video.

crazyD
04-23-2010, 11:10 PM
To be fair, while lightsabers are one hit kills, so are lasers. And lasers have distance on their side. And while we are picking on that, every "realistic" shooter ever made is horse shit for damage modeling.

Karak
04-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Dude, I want your dreamcast, because IMO they certainly don't look THAT bad.

:)
Shenmue 2 looked fucked wicked awesome on VGA.
Ah Dreamcast. You ended before your true time.

Pale Ale
04-23-2010, 11:47 PM
... Instead of the initial levels being (at least visually) boring. I don't have a problem with a game making it so I don't start out as a dude in rags hitting rats awkwardly with a stick.

Stop whinning and down the ramp and get me 10 ractaspider legs! Chop! Chop!

I'll give you this lightsaber with a .001 dps increase!

Wasson_
04-24-2010, 12:00 AM
I wanna be a Trooper. Pew fucking PEW!

Karak
04-24-2010, 12:03 AM
I wanna be a Trooper. Pew fucking PEW!

If I do end up getting some kind of support from Bioware that is satisfactory and thus turn around and get this, I am going to do some of the gun characters first. Some of the stuff they showed looked far more dramatic and universe correct than the other vids.

c0m3d14n
04-24-2010, 02:53 AM
i have no problem with light sabers not doing 1 hit kills for the sake of balancing. i actually think its a very good approach to bring the force users in line with all the other classes, or else everyone would want to play them, as seen in SWG.
i for one have no interrest at all in playing jedi or sith after watching the video, i'm interrested in trooper or bountyhunter ;)

kyrieee
04-24-2010, 04:28 AM
People get excited over that? I must really be out of tune with what people want out of an MMO

Hawkzombie
04-24-2010, 06:50 AM
People get excited over that? I must really be out of tune with what people want out of an MMO

Believe me...after years of Playing WoW...anything is more exciting.

Not to say I don't like WoW...but the combat is probably the least interesting part.

El Cabong
04-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Not thrilled with the art style. Still this game looks fun.

CappinCanuck
04-24-2010, 10:21 PM

No, you're not the only one, although maybe slightly older than 10.

Hate the art style... poo poo on the models and textures :(. Combat sounds interesting enough to warrant a try... but overall blech.

Squidbot
04-25-2010, 08:08 AM
I didn't really have high hopes for this. I still don't. I don't like the art style, I don't like the animations that seem very lifeless, I don't like it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/linvuiet/quiz796outcome3.gif

Then again, I didn't like WoW in my first hour of gameplay, look how that turned out.

Narradisall
04-25-2010, 11:47 AM
HOLY SHIT.

They have a developer call William Wallace? Awesome!

#I noticed Dis already picked up on the guys look and his name. Hilarious combo. FREEDOOOOOOM!

CappinCanuck
04-25-2010, 12:01 PM
No, you're not the only one, although maybe slightly older than 10.

Hate the art style... poo poo on the models and textures :(. Combat sounds interesting enough to warrant a try... but overall blech.

I didn't really have high hopes for this. I still don't. I don't like the art style, I don't like the animations that seem very lifeless, I don't like it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/linvuiet/quiz796outcome3.gif

Then again, I didn't like WoW in my first hour of gameplay, look how that turned out.

Yeah, I thought I might be being a graphics whore. But they, the models, textures, animations, are bad aren't they? They seem like something from 5+ years ago. Age of Conan for example had much crisper and richer textures, more complicated models and such. I'm not being snobby, right?

Squidbot
04-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Mmm, I would say they textures are ok, I wouldn't go as far as to call them bad. I just don't care much for the art style. That said, after a second viewing I do think the Trooper class looks badass.

You fucking snob.

Exodus
04-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I thought I might be being a graphics whore. But they, the models, textures, animations, are bad aren't they? They seem like something from 5+ years ago. Age of Conan for example had much crisper and richer textures, more complicated models and such. I'm not being snobby, right?

You're not, it looks like shit, the 'animation choreography' looks like the same crap that you've seen in NWN, Kotor, Mass Effect and Dragon Age. I wish they would stop making it sound so huge but that's marketing for you.

They have plenty of time to pretty it up though so what's going to have to sell the game is content and that's what I'm holding my breath for. ;(

Hotcod
04-25-2010, 01:52 PM
dear lord are you guys pessimists

Karak
04-25-2010, 02:47 PM
You're not, it looks like shit, the 'animation choreography' looks like the same crap that you've seen in NWN, Kotor, Mass Effect and Dragon Age. I wish they would stop making it sound so huge but that's marketing for you.

They have plenty of time to pretty it up though so what's going to have to sell the game is content and that's what I'm holding my breath for. ;(

Agreed. If compared to most it falls far short. But Bioware is known as a pretty good company for story so its that kind of stuff I am more interested in.

Karak
04-25-2010, 02:50 PM
dear lord are you guys pessimists

If you read that thread most most don't fit that at all. In fact it seems that though the graphics aren't pretty most people are hoping for content and story.
So in the fact of what they have seen optimistic might fit better.

I mean we have the fact that the graphics look bad but the HOPE that content and story will make up for it. Seems like people are giving it more chance than say a book they read by looking at its cover. This time they looked at the cover and hope for a good read.

Chaos Machine
04-25-2010, 03:32 PM
If this was footage from 3 years ago i would have been impressed, now though it already looks long in the tooth. Its nice that they are making combat look more visually interesting and less mechanical but thats not going to make me want to purchase this game.

crazyD
04-25-2010, 04:47 PM
I don't think the graphics look bad. I dig the style. Sure, it's primitive, but if WoW taught us anything, making a MMO that will run well on just about any system out there is a smart move.

J Arcane
04-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Remember that the devs have said their aiming for the same window hardware requirements wise that WoW does.

When you shoot for 5 year old graphics but without really good artists to cover it up, it's gonna wind up not looking that great.

Shieldmaiden
04-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Remember that the devs have said their aiming for the same window hardware requirements wise that WoW does.

I'd not heard that before. It sounds somewhat foolish to me. Surely the sensible route would be to aim for equivalent hardware requirements, rather than the same hardware requirements. So if WoW ran perfectly well on a 300 machine five years ago, use a computer that you could buy for 300 today as a benchmark.

Hawkzombie
04-25-2010, 06:55 PM
I'd not heard that before. It sounds somewhat foolish to me. Surely the sensible route would be to aim for equivalent hardware requirements, rather than the same hardware requirements. So if WoW ran perfectly well on a 300 machine five years ago, use a computer that you could buy for 300 today as a benchmark.

Yes and no.

Reason WoW still has a lot of those older requirements is because people are simply too cheap to buy a new computer. The game has 11 million accounts...I doubt every single one of those is a hardcore gamer, and even those that are, I'm guessing a very small percentage are going to guy a new cutting edge computer every year or two.

IMO this is probably a smart move if it's not just a rumor. Try and make a decent looking game that will run on the most systems possible. It's one reason WoW is doing so well...the graphics may be dated, but it runs.

CappinCanuck
04-25-2010, 08:18 PM
If you read that thread most most don't fit that at all. In fact it seems that though the graphics aren't pretty most people are hoping for content and story.
So in the fact of what they have seen optimistic might fit better.

I mean we have the fact that the graphics look bad but the HOPE that content and story will make up for it. Seems like people are giving it more chance than say a book they read by looking at its cover. This time they looked at the cover and hope for a good read.

Is it wrong to want both? I WANT BOTH!

That said, I do think this will have a better story than most.

Karak
04-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Is it wrong to want both? I WANT BOTH!

That said, I do think this will have a better story than most.

Nope I wanted both as well.

Shieldmaiden
04-26-2010, 12:59 AM
Yes and no.

Reason WoW still has a lot of those older requirements is because people are simply too cheap to buy a new computer. The game has 11 million accounts...I doubt every single one of those is a hardcore gamer, and even those that are, I'm guessing a very small percentage are going to guy a new cutting edge computer every year or two.

IMO this is probably a smart move if it's not just a rumor. Try and make a decent looking game that will run on the most systems possible. It's one reason WoW is doing so well...the graphics may be dated, but it runs.

The low requirements are definitely a big part of WoW's success, I totally agree and I understand why it's a good idea, especially for a MMO. The problem is that you can't keep on doing the "run on the most systems possible" thing; there has to be a line drawn somewhere, as it has to be balanced with the simple fact that people like their games to look good. I highly doubt that Blizzard's next MMO, whether it be an update to WoW, WoW 2 or something completely different, is going to have the exact same minimum requirements as WoW. Five years is a long time in gaming and aiming your game at computers that were crappy five years ago is taking things to extremes.

Hawkzombie
04-26-2010, 01:08 AM
I agree with that point. I think they should take a basic system now and build around that, as you said. WoW did the same thing when it came out, and is really starting to look dated, but they keep coming out with little updates to keep people interested.