PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell Conviction Joining Free DLC Bandwagon

DoctorFinger
04-15-2010, 07:19 AM
It's a good day to be a fan of Splinter Cell. The newest game in the series - Splinter Cell Conviction - has released to some very nice reviews. And now Ubisoft has announced that the game will get frequent free DLC releases. Starting today you'll be able to download the new MP7A1 Machine Pistol from the extras menu. Thursdays will see new goodies like maps, skins, weapons and gadgets added to the game for free.

If this sounds familiar, it should. EA has pioneered this system of frequent, free DLC releases with Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2. But Ubisoft is handling things a bit differently. This time around you don't need a code of any sort, so even renters and used buyers get in on the action.

Source - 1UP (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178824).

paketep
04-15-2010, 07:53 AM
No, it's not a good day to be a fan of Splinter Cell, as long as they remain in the (useless POS) DRM bandwagon. It's a really bad day.

AversionFX
04-15-2010, 08:05 AM
This does not move me in the slightest towards buying their game.

civil
04-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Well, that took a bad turn. Seems like Ubisoft shit in some peoples' cereal.

Let me be the first to say: Fuck yes!

TrackZero
04-15-2010, 08:16 AM
I don't understand, how is this "free DLC" encourage early purchase of the game? If anything, it's saying you can buy it dirt cheap down the road and get everything for cheap.

Philonious
04-15-2010, 08:21 AM
This is actually a pretty fun game... And I won't complain about the free DLC, I just wonder about how much difference it'll make if the game is really as short as they say.

Drayven
04-15-2010, 08:38 AM
The is actually game pretty fun... And I won't complain about the free DLC, I just wonder about how much difference it'll make if the game really is as short as they say.

words important of order not?

civil
04-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Give him a break, he's from Canada. The fact that we could suss out what he was trying to say is a feat in itself!

Iron Past
04-15-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm probably in the minority, but I think stuff like this is more insulting than PDLC. It might not be a big deal to you if you have lots of HDD space and a high-speed internet connection, but this just feels like giving you the majority of the game and stringing the rest of the content along for a little bit to keep you from trading it in immediately. Which, let's face it, won't work because most people aren't going to play through the game multiple time just because they got a new pistol.

Don't misunderstand, Conviction is far from an incomplete game and I don't really need extra weapons, but things like extra maps are pretty substantial. I am very against buying a physical game 'platform' and adding to it by downloads, free or otherwise. I hate music games for that bs (legitimate expansions notwithstanding).

Purple Santa
04-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Free? Even for us bad people who just rent? Sign me up...

ElektroDragon
04-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Overall message from Ubisoft: We love console gamers, but we hate PC gamers!

Philonious
04-15-2010, 12:10 PM
words important of order not?

Give him a break, he's from Canada. The fact that we could suss out what he was trying to say is a feat in itself!

Both up you shut!

Crittias
04-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Overall message from Ubisoft: We love console gamers, but we hate PC gamers!How so? Will they not make the DLC available to PC users? I got free DLC for ME2 on my PC with no issues.

MagGnome
04-15-2010, 05:03 PM
How so? Will they not make the DLC available to PC users? I got free DLC for ME2 on my PC with no issues.

The game is $60 on the PC and includes Ubisoft's terrible new DRM that requires the user to be online at ALL times to play.

I'll pass.

Edit - I also wouldn't be surprised if this DLC didn't come to the PC. Has Ubisoft released any DLC on PC so far? I know that the Prince of Persia DLC didn't come to the PC.