PDA

View Full Version : [Rumour] Leaked images of the Nintendo 3DS

H.Bogard
04-06-2010, 05:01 PM
While not scheduled to be revealed until this year's E3, a Japanese website claims to have the first images of the upcoming DS successor.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2762/4497830727_d2049460c7_m.jpg

The Japanese blog claims to be posting the images "without the manufacturer's permission" [source (http://kotaku.com/5510693/is-this-the-best-nintendo-3ds-mockup-weve-seen-or-the-real-thing/gallery/)]... and while this may just be another (rather exceptionally done) mock-up, it might give a little insight on what the 3DS could actually be like.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4498467840_9cab69c686_m.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2679/4498467988_c7cacfa1cd_m.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4497831337_f46d9dfda5_m.jpg

The first thing you'll notice is the single, longer screen. It apparently simulates the dual screens this time around instead of being separated by the flap. The screen can be turned to it's side as well, or for length... which would make it the best platform for a fresh Ice Climber sequel.

Keep in mind that there's no official proof whether this is the real thing or not... But it does look as legit as can be, if nothing else.

You can hit up this link for the rest of the screens. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/colonyofgamers/sets/72157623790836738/)
View the aforementioned blog post here. (http://hamstern.air-nifty.com/mogumogu/2010/04/post-3c64.html)

rein
04-06-2010, 05:03 PM
OMG let this be real!

digitalErich
04-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Wouldn't that be stupidly top-heavy in portrait mode there (last shot)? That thumb stick has awful placement, too. I'm calling shenanigans.

In the third photo (landscape mode) the control surface looks like a decal.

Edit: Ok, looking at the Flickr stream, I take the decal comment back...I think that particular photo is just bad. I'm still calling shenanigans based on the control layout.

Stoke
04-06-2010, 05:06 PM
That looks good. If it turns out to be true I hope the simulation of the dual screens is an optional thing for the developers. I'd love to have it backwards compatible with the DS (by simulating the screens) and still have the developers able to use the whole area as one big screen for games that have no need for a second screen.

H.Bogard
04-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Wouldn't that be stupidly top-heavy in portrait mode there (last shot)? That thumb stick has awful placement, too. I'm calling shenanigans.

In the third photo (landscape mode) the control surface looks like a decal.

Edit: Ok, looking at the Flickr stream, I take the decal comment back...I think that particular photo is just bad. I'm still calling shenanigans based on the control layout.

Check the gallery, you'll understand.

Dammit. You and your ninja edit! Anyway... the control layout may as well not be final, if this is real indeed.

crazyD
04-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Where be the shoulder buttons? I'm calling it now as a fake.

H.Bogard
04-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Where be the shoulder buttons? I'm calling it now as a fake.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4498467736_c2a2518044_o.jpg

Sandman
04-06-2010, 05:14 PM
I only see one thumbstick. The correct number is either none or two.

cassiusregicide
04-06-2010, 05:24 PM
I had trouble from telling on the pics, but does it have some flap to cover the screen when it is not in use? One of the things I love about the old DS is the fact I can toss it in my pocket without worry about damaging the screen. It's why my psp stays at home most of the time.

crazyD
04-06-2010, 05:26 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4498467736_c2a2518044_o.jpg

Those look awkward to use.

Satertek
04-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Judging by the aliasing on the device and shadows around it, they're very obviously 3D (hah) renders. If that's not what they meant by "mock-ups" then it's clearly fake. Either way, it looks much too unweildy to be real.

DoctorFinger
04-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Even if this is real, it's probably a concept model and won't look that way when it launches.

Widgetcraft
04-06-2010, 05:32 PM
It's fake, and probably one of the worst designs that I've ever seen. First of all, if you have human wrists, you could pretty much forget ever using something like that. On top of that, who is going to be able to pack that shit around anywhere? Might as well carry a laptop. Even if you could carry it around, the screen is always going to be exposed, something that Nintendo has avoided since the GBA SP.

RandoM51
04-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Nintendo can't even make a hinge for the DS that doesn't break and you trust them for something like that?

I see lots of dead flat ribbon cables in the future...

Hawkzombie
04-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Nintendo can't even make a hinge for the DS that doesn't break and you trust them for something like that?

I see lots of dead flat ribbon cables in the future...

Wasn't that the quality of the white plastic? From what I recall the hinges were only bad on the white DSes and were perfectly fine on the other units.

I call fake. A good fake, or maybe for another product, but I don't think those even qualify as shoulder buttons, and the fact the controls are so tight at the bottom...I have enough trouble holding the DS Lite in my hands without cramping. That would be murder.

EDIT:

Yeah, I'm sticking with fake.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2789/4497831427_0c680ac314.jpg

In the upper left corner is a very bright light source, which you can see is hitting the unit as well. Why isn't the screen affected?

evilgoodwin
04-06-2010, 06:19 PM
I agree. Look at the thumb stick! It doesn't have nintendo's signature octagon bumps around it!

JayK47
04-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Lets have MythBusters have at it.

J Arcane
04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
That is so totally fake it hurts. The lighting on those buttons doesn't even match up with the surroundings. And the design would be the worst thing Nintendo has made since the Virtual Boy. Also, it's missing a camera.

Siraris
04-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Wow, I can't believe how fake these look. I'm surprised it took 15+ posts before people started calling it out.

KamaItachi
04-06-2010, 06:56 PM
No, no, no. Everything about that design is wrong. It's an ergonomic nightmare.

hunterx280
04-06-2010, 07:04 PM
It kind of reminds me of some of the TV streaming Japanese cell phones.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/hunterx280/931n_nec.jpg

Hawkzombie
04-06-2010, 07:14 PM
there's the color bars in one of the pics. You can see the jagged edges along the bottom of where it was poorly cut to fit into the screen size as well.

Kelegacy
04-06-2010, 07:34 PM
It's real and a friend of mine in Japan actually sent me a copy on the downlow. He works in a manufacturing plant that works on various things, the "3DS" being one of them.

It's just a prototype but it displays 1080p games at 60fps and is backwards compatible (and upcoverts completely) with NES carts. People don't have to believe me but you know I have to be telling the truth because it will have Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda on it. How else would I know what games are coming to the system unless I owned one already?

Zecon
04-06-2010, 07:43 PM
It's real and a friend of mine in Japan actually sent me a copy on the downlow. He works in a manufacturing plant that works on various things, the "3DS" being one of them.

It's just a prototype but it displays 1080p games at 60fps and is backwards compatible (and upcoverts completely) with NES carts. People don't have to believe me but you know I have to be telling the truth because it will have Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda on it. How else would I know what games are coming to the system unless I owned one already?

Well, you do make a convincing argument....

RandoM51
04-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Wasn't that the quality of the white plastic? From what I recall the hinges were only bad on the white DSes and were perfectly fine on the other units.

Your recall is less than perfect. :P 30 seconds with google image search will help you there.

Wraith
04-06-2010, 09:30 PM
"Shop," "pixels," etc.

I like the idea of the big screen that can switch between portrait and landscape, but the controls look tiny & cramped. (Maybe those of you who had a GBA SP will disagree.)

Urizen
04-06-2010, 09:53 PM
I agree that I think it's fake, but there are some good ideas tossed out here. As uncomfortable as it looks, it's definitely something I'd want to get my hands on for a test run.

Deadend
04-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Fake, maybe if the control pad area could expand outwards.. as it just looks uncomfortable to use. I can't see Nintendo making a system looking like that, it is much sloppier than the direction Nintendo has been headed in hardware (Apple, but practical and not REQUIRING stupid protection cases).

Adam Blue
04-06-2010, 11:21 PM
So, the entire shot is CG? Not just the device?

J Arcane
04-06-2010, 11:26 PM
There is a rather marked difference in resolution between different components of the scene.

The "cloth" it's laying on in particular looks atrocious in some of the shots.

Adam Blue
04-07-2010, 12:01 AM
I think it's all CG. Even the books.

ElektroDragon
04-07-2010, 01:33 AM
The design is HORRIBLE. And it incredibly easy to tell this is a Photoshopped fake if you know what to look for.

evilgoodwin
04-07-2010, 01:47 AM
Gizmodo isn't even bothering to say it's a prototype, flat out calling it a mock-up. Though they don't cite their source...

Wilkz07
04-07-2010, 05:25 AM
if its true, that looks awful.

Goronmon
04-07-2010, 06:51 AM
That is so totally fake it hurts. The lighting on those buttons doesn't even match up with the surroundings. And the design would be the worst thing Nintendo has made since the Virtual Boy. Also, it's missing a camera.Very much this.

JayVe
04-07-2010, 08:17 AM
I only see one thumbstick. The correct number is either none or two.

While this is a mockup, and not a very good one, I'd still prefer having one thumbstick AND a touch screen rather than only one thumbstick, or no thumbstick at all.

Hawkzombie
04-07-2010, 08:22 AM
While this is a mockup, and not a very good one, I'd still prefer having one thumbstick AND a touch screen rather than only one thumbstick, or no thumbstick at all.

I just have to say what delicious irony your avatar is.

JayVe
04-07-2010, 08:27 AM
I just have to say what delicious irony your avatar is.

Thanks!

Steve Jobs has turned into 'The Man'. If you actually read what 'The Man' says in the Mac 1984 commercial, you'll find it eerily close to the way Apple behaves today.

Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Information Purification Directives. We have created for the first time in all history, a garden of pure ideology. Where each worker may bloom secure from the pests of contradictory and confusing truths. Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful a weapon than any fleet or army on earth. We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause. Our enemies shall talk themselves to death and we will bury them with their own confusion. We shall prevail!

And to think... this is the attitude Steve Jobs wanted to TEAR DOWN. The revolutionaries become the dictators. Or, to put it in more modern terms... "You Either Die a Hero, or Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become the Villain"

Hawkzombie
04-07-2010, 08:39 AM
If you're 20 and not a liberal, you don't got a heart.
And if you're not a republican when you're 50, you got no money.

I think that saying has some truth here :p

Anyway, back to the mock-up...It would be more believable if it wasn't so poorly shopped together. But just looking closely, it's obvious it's fake to anyone with good eyes.

Adam Blue
04-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Even the books are clipping into each other.

Hawkzombie
04-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Holy shit, you're right.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2679/4498467988_c7cacfa1cd.jpg

Upper right corner, look at the black book and the white one on top of it and how it's clipping into the side slightly. Another damming bit is look at the shadow the one book is casting on the left side. It's got two tones, and it's much longer than it should be, given the lighting (seems the light source is pointing directly down).

Also, that shadow is the same in several pictures (two tones, and nearly same position) despite the lighting source drastically changing position in some shots. Look at the woodgrain in those shots and see how it's identical. Unless they've got a flood light they can adjust as they want in the scene, even the lighting's fake.

If you're gonna make a fake, at least try and make a GOOD fake. This is just sloppy.

crazyD
04-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Wow, I can't believe how fake these look. I'm surprised it took 15+ posts before people started calling it out.

Hey now! I called it fake in post 6!

MosBen
04-07-2010, 09:18 AM
So, it definitely looks faked now, but I still like the idea of a single, big screen.

The bottom line for me is that I just don't play a lot of games on the go. I don't have a regular non-driving commute, I'm only on planes a couple times per year, and I rarely find myself just waiting somewhere with enough time to get some gaming on. I never warmed to the DS. It just never felt comfortable in my hands, particularly if I had to use the stylus. Combined with the fact that I mostly want a device to watch movies on a plane, and the PSP has been one of my favorite devices of the last few years. I can watch videos while on the elliptical machine or on a plane and I've got the option to play a game or two if it strikes my fancy.

Maybe my needs should push me to a tablet/iPad type of device, but I haven't seen one yet that grabs me, so I'm open to a new machine from Nintendo or Sony, and 3D games certainly sounds intriguing.

digitalErich
04-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Hey now! I called it fake in post 6!
Post three!

Dukefrukem
04-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Holy shit, you're right.

Upper right corner, look at the black book and the white one on top of it and how it's clipping into the side slightly.

I think that's just a tear in the book cover. Why would the clipping be different in EVERY picture here (http://kotaku.com/5510693/is-this-the-best-nintendo-3ds-mockup-weve-seen-or-the-real-thing/gallery/).

Look at pics 2 - 5- and 7. The clipping is less apparent.

Hawkzombie
04-07-2010, 10:47 AM
It looks the same to me...and 7 is the same as the one I posted, Duke :p

I still think the shadows seem off, not just for the two toned bits, but the fact it's the same shadow in nearly every shot, from the same position, even though the lighting changes drastically. And if the two toned bit is partially from reflection, why is that the only shadow with that effect on the table?

Another thing is look at Image 10 in Duke's link. I'm assuming it's trying to show the camera function, but where's the pole in the background? If you look at the coloring of the wall 'irl' and that in the picture on the unit, we should see at least a small part of the pole held in hand. Not to mention there's no lens in any of the design shots, so even if it's a picture, how did it get there?

Also, (and I can't believe I never noticed this before) but look at the screen shot showing both screens of the Japanese version of Super Robot Taisen OG. Look at the bottom. The Copyright text.

It's cut off.

Mike Kelehan
04-07-2010, 10:51 AM
I do like this fan's design, although I don't like what it means for the L and R buttons. My guess is Nintendo will be a lot more conservative, though, in the real design, and it will strongly resemble the DS' form factor.

Adam Blue
04-07-2010, 11:00 AM
I think that's just a tear in the book cover. Why would the clipping be different in EVERY picture

It just depends on the render. Things are moved and the math is processed each time. Look at all the textures, even the book pages.

Adam Blue
04-07-2010, 11:03 AM

I still think the shadows seem off, not just for the two toned bits, but the fact it's the same shadow in nearly every shot, from the same position, even though the lighting changes drastically. And if the two toned bit is partially from reflection, why is that the only shadow with that effect on the table?

Another thing is look at Image 10 in Duke's link. I'm assuming it's trying to show the camera function, but where's the pole in the background? If you look at the coloring of the wall 'irl' and that in the picture on the unit, we should see at least a small part of the pole held in hand. Not to mention there's no lens in any of the design shots, so even if it's a picture, how did it get there?

Also, (and I can't believe I never noticed this before) but look at the screen shot showing both screens of the Japanese version of Super Robot Taisen OG. Look at the bottom. The Copyright text.

It's cut off.

I can't read the text on the Japanese blog, but the point with that is the 3D tech adds objects to be manipulated. There's more like that at the blog. Does anyone here know Japanese? It might be all explained there.

Vulture
04-07-2010, 11:03 AM

not to super-analyze the shots, with everyone else here but:

the lighting and shadows look convincing enough to me between the shots. what got me looking closer was the wood table in the above shot. it really looks like someone took a normal woodgrain texture and tried to make it tillable. it looks like a seam towards the bottom of the image, that the artist poorly attempted to use the healing brush on part of it.

also, the books, in a lot of the shots are stacked strangely and not naturally. the books themselves are too "statically" modeled and don't reflect real life wear and inconsistencies. books hare seemingly squares , with no beveling on the edges.

heh, as a 3d guy, this image had me convinced at first until the question was brought up here, of its authenticity.

JayVe
04-07-2010, 11:10 AM
http://server3.uploadit.org/files/Kamalot-Nintendo3DS.jpg

Funny. This was originally a 'mockup' of what people were expecting the original Nintendo DS to look like. Look at the timeline in the graph to see what I mean.

I'm sure when the 3DS is revealed, it will look nothing like our expectations.

score
04-07-2010, 01:08 PM
I guess I can let out a sigh of relief. I don't want my next DS looking like that.

Dukefrukem
04-07-2010, 01:21 PM
[/B]

I know, I was saying compare them all together.

The angel is clearly different between 2 and 5, the height of the overlap is different, suggesting that it's a tear.

I'm just playing the pessimistic here, going against the majority opinion as usual.

Dukefrukem
04-07-2010, 01:26 PM
also there's a spelling issue in the thread title that should be resolved. ;)

Vulture
04-07-2010, 02:22 PM
google translator of the original blog post seems to hint at it being an april fools joke.

also, the author seemingly describes a few processes he went through to make the image towards the end; after i guess admitting it was all a lie.

* Magazines and books on the desk on the table, the box-shaped scanners read it as a texture aspects of magazine and book cover spine is hand him the pasted object 3D

* I'm just putting a texture on the LCD screen looks like a very good color pictures taken by digital camera because the LCD screen, put the color texture is varied intentionally so poor color and. I also see a white screen and see the part about changing the position angle.

* Do you see the synthesis which is pretty front and back of books and magazines on the desk also ?···· Sui Sui square boxes, so the background was an easy victory 3DCG

etc....etc...

H.Bogard
04-07-2010, 02:25 PM
also there's a spelling issue in the thread title that should be resolved. ;)

That's racist!

Re: Vulture. I've got an awful lot of workload. PM somebody to add that to the OP IF YOU ARE SURE that the info is accurate.

JayVe
04-07-2010, 02:47 PM
4ColorRebellion has a long list of 3DS mockups (http://www.4colorrebellion.com/3ds-mockups/). Some of which are hysterical.

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/media/pics/3ds_mockups/readermockup_012404_4.jpg

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/1.jpg

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/media/pics/3ds_mockups/aaw1p0.jpg.gif

Adam Blue
04-07-2010, 02:52 PM
That's the thing, I can't read Japanese but the pictures suggested he was showing off something rather than claiming it's the 3DS the whole time. Where did this story originate from in English? Whoever originally found it had to have translated it.

inmostlight
04-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Even if it is a fake, it looks so uncomfortable to use and likely to induce hand cramps that I'm pretty sure it's close to Nintendo's actual design.

Hawkzombie
04-07-2010, 07:42 PM
The bottom pic had me cracking up, while a variation of the middle would be my guess as to the actual unit.

JayVe
04-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Apparently, Sharp's 3D screens are 'mind blowing'.

http://en.akihabaranews.com/42041/hands-on/hands-on-final-thought-of-sharps-3d-lcd-screen-summary

Sharp will provide you with something their competitors have not been capable of. The new screen tech offers better brightness (twice as bright as the competition), and a contrast ratio of 1000 :1 (compared to the 100 :1 that competitors have achieved).

Akion-Totocha
05-13-2010, 03:25 AM
Even if it was real... I would be ashamed to call it my own. It would have to be contained within a protective case, if the screen is like the bottom screen of a regular DS. Unless the console itself is massive, your thumbs would curl up under themselves, creating RSI. It is deeply regrettable that something like this would exist in the first place. *sniff*

Dukefrukem
05-13-2010, 06:22 AM
Sharp has been known for their great LCD screens ever since tvs started going mainstream. Not surprising but very exciting to see what they got.