PDA

View Full Version : Independent Movies

Siraris
03-22-2010, 09:25 AM
I was wondering if anyone here was an independent movie lover? I have always loved film, but only in the past few years have I fallen in love with the indie film. I am extremely lucky to live 3 blocks from a Landmark theater, so I can just walk over and catch whatever is playing.

I was hoping to maybe get a thread started where people could share indie films that they've seen, and recommend films to others - whether they be in the theater, or on Netflix etc.

Recently, I've seen Crazy Heart, and The Last Station, both of which were excellent films. Bridges deserved the award for this film, in many ways, more than he deserved it for Labowski. I can't stand country music, so I thought I was going to want to blow my brains out, but I didn't. In fact, I loved the music from the film, and went out immediately and bought the soundtrack.

I'm definitely looking forward to some films in the future, including Greenberg (new film with Ben Stiller about a guy re-evaluating his life), City Island (a film with Andy Garcia and Julianna Margulies about a pathological italian family) and Cyrus (a hilarious looking dark comedy starring John C Reilly, Jonah Hill and Marisa Tomei about a man who finally finds a woman who is interested in him, only to find out she has a grown son who has some serious mommy issues).

muddi900
03-22-2010, 11:41 AM
I like movies. Sometimes they seem to be independently funded. Other times they are not. It boggles the mind, doesn't it? :eek:

You know we talk about all sorts of movies in the Holy Crap thread and the individual movie threads, so there's no point making another thread. I am looking forward to Cyrus a lot.

AntonThaGreat
03-22-2010, 11:43 AM
City Island was simply sublime; I highly recommend it. And I'm definitely looking forward to Greenberg and Cyrus.

I definitely need to see Crazy Heart and The Last Station.

civil
03-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Huh. Siraris, I thought you were a suburbanite not an actual city-dweller. Not sure of how many of these theaters you know about, but if you want truly independent film I'd check out the Gene Siskel Film Center (downtown - part of my alma mater) and Facets (Ashland & Fullerton). Landmark has great stuff, to be sure, but they do tend to stick with the mainstream independent films whereas GSFC & F really do promote small, independent films that you won't find any other place in the city. Those, combined with the Music Box and Landmark give a good, broad spectrum for your "artier" releases.

Oh, and I saw Last Station on Friday. It was much "lighter" than I thought it was going to be - I was expecting a gravitas along the lines of Remains of the Day. Still worthwhile, if only to see Helen Miren whom I think is one of the sexiest women alive.

Siraris
03-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Civil - Totally agree on Helen Mirren; she's a total fox. I haven't gone to GSFC, but I need to check it out. Maybe we can catch something there sometime :)

Random question: Were you at Navy Pier on Saturday night? I saw someone who looked just like you, and I was going to go and ask, but he disappeared into the crowd.