PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL announces v4, promises feature parity with DX11

J Arcane
03-11-2010, 06:47 PM
http://arstechnica.com/software/news/2010/03/opengl-4-spec-arrives-with-direct3d-11-feature-parity.ars

I find this interesting. I wonder if it's related to Valve's decision to finally support the Mac.

I also found it interesting that they point out that Mac OS X never even upgraded to OGL 3. I've been giving OGL some of the blame for the state of Mac gaming, but it's hard to put too much blame on them when Apple can't even be arsed to keep up to date.

Overall though, this is good news, if it lives up to it's promises. The more competitive OGL is, the more competitive gaming in general is, and the better it is for open and multiplatform gaming.

RandoM51
03-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Somebody needs to put pressure on ATI to come up with better OpenGL support in their drivers.

jeffbax
03-14-2010, 09:04 AM
OpenGL 3 is likely technically at or very close to feature parity already in some respects. The difference between OpenGL and DX is that any driver manufacturer can extend OpenGL to support the new card features (and ATi/nvidia do just this)

Yeah, Apple sure can be slow with Graphics drivers updates, though the stability is a double edged sword in many cases. Easy to target Mac OS's drivers.

RandoM51
03-14-2010, 09:16 AM
I don't think you can blame anybody for the state of Mac gaming. It isn't about drivers, it isn't about vendor support, it isn't about hardware, it is about return on investment.

The switch to Intel and the popularity of Apple laptops is reducing that cost of investment while increasing the potential return. Expect to see more attention from the publishers.

DangerousDaze
03-14-2010, 11:02 AM
I hope no one uses it. GL games refuse to start on my PC. No errors, nothing. The disk spins up and then, nothing.

It's really annoying. :/

/edit - why yes it is an ATI card!