PDA

View Full Version : Hulked Out Heroes

Ink Asylum
01-22-2010, 12:33 PM
I don't buy many comics anymore, and this definitely sounds like an attempt to replicate the success of Marvel Zombies, but it still looks pretty cool.

Editorial Slip Makes Marvel Heroes Angry And Hulked Out (http://io9.com/5454297/editorial-slip-makes-marvel-heroes-angry-and-hulked-out)

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/8/2010/01/500x_hoh2.jpg

It's one of those things I'm surprised they haven't done already. Hulk-sized strength and aggression combined with the classic powers of other heroes? It's worth a read just to see what crazy shit they come up with.

There's some debate over who the two in the lower left are. Thor and Wolverine seem to be the popular guesses.

Savok
01-22-2010, 12:43 PM
It's written by Jeff Parker who I've yet to see write anything bad. Also because it's Jeff Parker, it will be bugfuck insane.

LongStepMantis
01-22-2010, 12:48 PM
I wonder if this is going to be something that affects a lot of heroes and villains, or only a select few. If it was like MZ where it's nearly everyone, I don't see how any normal people could possibly survive. Also like MZ.

My second thought: I feel bad for any heroes and villains involved whose claim to fame was already super strength. Now what do they have? We see the Thing right there. Sure, I'm guessing he's much stronger after, but a Hulk-strength Spider-Man or Wolverine would probably get more of an upgrade. That's saying nothing of characters with powers of energy or elemental control. I want to see a hulked out Magneto. Everyone would just be fucked.

Hawkzombie
01-22-2010, 12:50 PM
I love deadpool...but even I'm starting to think they're oversaturating Marvel with him now.

See, Thor and Wolverine would make sense, if the other heroes shown were changed physically by the hulking out as well Spiderman, Thing and Human Torch just look like they ODed on steroids. Deadpool looks like all he did was rip his costume up a bit and get gray skin. And what's up with some having glowing eyes? If that really is Thing and Wolvie...what part of their powers = Glowing eyes? Since when has HULK'S eyes ever glowed? :p

Hulked Out Magneto? Fucking sold.

And what about Hulked out Apocalypse? :p

Ink Asylum
01-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Yeah, a Hulked-out Thing is kind of an odd choice. It's really just giving him a slight power level upgrade and a short temper.

Savok
01-22-2010, 12:59 PM
I love deadpool...but even I'm starting to think they're oversaturating Marvel with him now.
Hey, hear about the Deadpool & Cable [sic] one-shot thing? Deadpool helped Cable with the Messiah baby, totally not a retcon!

TrackZero
01-22-2010, 12:59 PM
My second thought: I feel bad for any heroes and villains involved whose claim to fame was already super strength. Now what do they have? We see the Thing right there. Sure, I'm guessing he's much stronger after, but a Hulk-strength Spider-Man or Wolverine would probably get more of an upgrade.

You do realize Spider-man can lift things weighing several tons already right? In fact he lifts a goddamn train station:

http://i46.tinypic.com/1y9t8x.jpghttp://i47.tinypic.com/iw10ld.jpg

Ink Asylum
01-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Didn't the Hulk catch a falling mountain once?

torrefaction
01-22-2010, 01:04 PM
You guys forget, Hulk's strength == anger. There's a reason in World War Hulk that he came back and stomped all over people's faces.

This is actually kind of a big deal. Spiderman's strength is nothing next to the Hulk's as the current universe stands.

Greg Pak described the Hulk shown during World War Hulk as having a level of physical power where "Hulk was stronger than any mortal --and most immortals-- who ever walked the Earth."

torrefaction
01-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Also:....Regeneration.

muddi900
01-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Jeff Parker, you brilliant maniac!

Hawkzombie
01-22-2010, 01:41 PM
The Little Spider That Could.

:p

Squidbot
01-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Didn't the Hulk catch a falling mountain once?

Secret Wars.

http://www.incrediblehulkonline.com/secretwarsstrength.jpg

LongStepMantis
01-22-2010, 04:05 PM
You do realize Spider-man can lift things weighing several tons already right? In fact he lifts a goddamn train station

That's awesome.

And yes, I'm aware of Spider-man's strength. But even he is nowhere near "Hulk" strong. Very, very few can make that claim aside from cosmic beings and gods. But Spider-man would have all of his already awesome abilities and a huge increase in strength. Although the anger part could be a real problem.

muddi900
01-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Since we are all being nerdy here, its not Spiderman or Spider Man, its Spider-Man.

Spectre-7
01-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Heh, didn't notice the Torch at first. I just thought something in the background was exploding, as so often happens on comic covers.

LongStepMantis
01-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Heh, didn't notice the Torch at first. I just thought something in the background was exploding, as so often happens on comic covers.

I thought it was a random explosion as well. Until this very second. All I see is a vague face mounted on a mushroom cloud. :p

Spectre-7
01-22-2010, 04:19 PM
I thought it was a random explosion as well. Until this very second. All I see is a vague face mounted on a mushroom cloud. :p

The Human Mushroom Cloud... I kinda like the ring of that.

LongStepMantis
01-22-2010, 04:22 PM
The Human Mushroom Cloud... I kinda like the ring of that.

His tagline is already locked up.

"I'm a mushroom-cloud laying motherfucker! *BOOOM!*"

Jeffool
01-23-2010, 01:28 PM
As I have no idea what's going on in comics these days, and I have all of Peter David's Hulk run, I can't help but have my interest piqued. Would've been neat if it played off of this (http://www.oafe.net/yo/smhulk.php) old comic. Somewhere in a longbox in my closet I actually have that issue...

Handmade.Mercury
01-23-2010, 02:34 PM
I still don't see Torch.

Ink Asylum
01-23-2010, 02:41 PM
There are eyes, a brow ridge, and a discernible jawline right above The Thing's shoulder (his right, our left). The lighter columns of flame going to the left and right are outstretched arms. It could definitely be made more clear.

DoctorFinger
01-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Marvel has been touting the start of something called "The Heroic Age", which may or may not usher in a decrease in the dark and gritty comics and an increase in lighter fare. This may be part of that.

Grifter
01-24-2010, 07:50 AM
There's some debate over who the two in the lower left are. Thor and Wolverine seem to be the popular guesses.

Looks like Beast and Iceman to me... though I guess Iceman wouldn't be throwing around bolts of lightning unless there are other aspects to the "Hulking".

Badger
01-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Hulked out Spidey looks pretty goofy to me. I don't see someone the relative size and weight of a small car being able to sling themselves around with his usual dexterity.

What I would like to see is (Hulk)². That would be pretty special.

Xerxes
04-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Why the fuck would Thing need to be Hulked out. O_o

yeti
04-01-2010, 01:39 AM
Hulked out Spidey looks pretty goofy to me. I don't see someone the relative size and weight of a small car being able to sling themselves around with his usual dexterity.

I imagine he would just swing through buildings and shit. That would be pretty cool:)

Xerxes
04-01-2010, 01:57 AM
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/4/30083-3519-33444-1-web-of-spider-man_super.jpg

They've been there and done that.

Savok
04-01-2010, 08:16 AM
House of Ideas!

Urizen
04-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Hulk can catch mountains and perform inter-continental jumps. I know he destroyed Vegas leading up to Civil War, but I can't remember how many superheroes he took down with him before they got a handle on him.

Anyway, Hulk's strength is just not grasped by most people who follow him casually.

roboninja
04-01-2010, 09:23 AM
As I have no idea what's going on in comics these days, and I have all of Peter David's Hulk run, I can't help but have my interest piqued. Would've been neat if it played off of this (http://www.oafe.net/yo/smhulk.php) old comic. Somewhere in a longbox in my closet I actually have that issue...

David's run on Hulk was one of my favourite arcs in comics. The Future Imperfect GN, as well as the novel were also awesome.

Though I will admit Planet Hulk was pretty damned good as well.

Hawkzombie
04-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah, Planet Hulk was awesome.

Then Marvel went to shit.

muddi900
04-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Planet Hulk is the reason I read Marvel books.

"HULK SLASH!"

ShadokatRegn
04-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Haha, Super-hero universe stuff has a tendency to get silly from time to time (I dug up my old Captain America from 1992 "Capwolf" where he's bitten by a werewolf - brilliant!) and this is no exception. I kind of dig the idea, but it's just kind of extra-ridiculous.

Also, Spider-man has a little head, and he looks weird. They needed to give him like...square chisel jaw and bulgy neck muscles - otherwise it just looks like a fat-suit. Just sayin'.

Hawkzombie
04-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Haha, Super-hero universe stuff has a tendency to get silly from time to time (I dug up my old Captain America from 1992 "Capwolf" where he's bitten by a werewolf - brilliant!) and this is no exception. I kind of dig the idea, but it's just kind of extra-ridiculous.

Also, Spider-man has a little head, and he looks weird. They needed to give him like...square chisel jaw and bulgy neck muscles - otherwise it just looks like a fat-suit. Just sayin'.

See, I don't really mind over the top. It's comics for crying out loud! I'll agree to Spider-man, though. He looks like he's got a little peanut on his shoulders.

ShadokatRegn
04-01-2010, 01:48 PM
See, I don't really mind over the top. It's comics for crying out loud! I'll agree to Spider-man, though. He looks like he's got a little peanut on his shoulders.

Oh, I never said absurdity was bad - in fact, I am notorious for appreciating all things that are considered kitchy, or just plain bad.

I am actually intrigued by this, and may end up taking a look!

Hawkzombie
04-01-2010, 05:20 PM
See, for me, Marvel was awesome with Planet Hulk. But most of the crap that followed was CRAP. And I've got a soft spot for absurd things in comics (I frequent scans_daily and they have no end of the crack you can get from comics) But I'm seeing this as mostly a gimmick.

If it's done well, which I hope it is, it'll be enjoyable. if it's not, it could turn into Marvel Zombies, which just got terrible after the first one, then awesome again for the third (machine man FTW) then bad again. Now we've got deadpool with zombie deadpool's head.

Jumping the shark isn't a bad thing, so long as it's done with flair :p

Deadend
04-01-2010, 11:02 PM
I feel like they should all have huge ass beards to show their manliness.