View Full Version : Space Battleship Yamato

Voodoo
01-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Teaser trailer?

ONkh786EbSg

Crittias
01-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Seriously? A live action Star Blazers?

I am SOOO down for this movie! I wonder how many CoGers remember the original cartoon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Blazers), which I often watched on a black & white television in my parent's bedroom (just to give you an idea of how old it is).

biosc1
01-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Man, I grew up on that cartoon in the 80s..I was wondering what this trailer was for, then saw the ship and knew instantly!

Whunpo
01-02-2010, 09:37 PM
I have never even heard of that cartoon, but god damn that looked sweet.

Seika
01-03-2010, 03:03 AM
Ahhh Japanese Sci-fi.

You know it will be 60% cool shit, 40% bad-ass characters, and 0% filler plot.
Can't wait. ;)

MalReynolds
01-03-2010, 04:11 AM
i want now :(

Wasson_
01-03-2010, 05:50 AM
Awesome. That show was sooo huge, it's kinda like their Star Trek. I was never really familiar with it until I had internet access but I remember first seeing advertisements for tape collections in old Sci-Fi Channel magazines. :)

nnanji
01-03-2010, 08:24 AM
I loved that cartoon. I remember marching to elementary school singing "My Star Blazers!!!"

Cactaur
01-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Seems like any show starring Takuya Kimura needs to emphasize his hair. Most probably Gatsby hair products bankrolls a significant portion of his projects.

Can't wait. Maybe if it does well enough they'll do Captain Harlock as well.

Narradisall
01-03-2010, 09:22 AM
I've never seen the cartoon, but that did look rather cool.

As ikkir said, and it's in no way a bad thing!

Inverarity
01-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Wow- looks great. I grew up on the show (as well as the US versions of Gatchaman, Grendizer, Getter Robo G, Mazinger Z, etc.) and that gave me a nice nostalgic rush. I never get tired of the theme music, or of the battleships-in-space aesthetic...

bstiff
01-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Seems like any show starring Takuya Kimura needs to emphasize his hair. Most probably Gatsby hair products bankrolls a significant portion of his projects.

Can't wait. Maybe if it does well enough they'll do Captain Harlock as well.

Is that the iron chef looking guy on the radio?

JayVe
01-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Most excellent. Just last night I was trying to describe this show to my nephew.

Cactaur
01-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Is that the iron chef looking guy on the radio?

Can't see any radio?...

Kimura is the one at 0:10, and gets the most screen time in the trailer. One of the most bankable Japanese stars, at least in Japan.

bryan
01-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Looks kickass.

Wombat
01-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Want to see the main gun fire.

civil
01-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Seriously? A live action Star Blazers?

I am SOOO down for this movie! I wonder how many CoGers remember the original cartoon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Blazers), which I often watched on a black & white television in my parent's bedroom (just to give you an idea of how old it is).
To give you an idea of how old it is I watched it in my parent's bedroom when it first came out in the States, and I'm an old fuck.

I can't count how many model ships I ruined trying to imitate the Yamato.

PathMaster
01-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Huh, I just made a connection of this to Okami (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Ckami)(loved this game):

Amaterasu travels to the north to find the source of these evil spirits, the wreckage of a ship able to travel through the stars, the "Ark of Yamato". Waka appears and reveals himself as a member of the Moon Tribe, a race that had supplied the Ark of Yamato to the Celestial Beings, who used it to escape from Orochi's assault on the Celestial Plain and sail the heavens, unaware of the evil spirits imprisoned on the Ark which attacked and killed all but himself, resulting in the Ark crashing to earth. Amaterasu defeats Yami, the final demon controlling all the evil spirits, and rids both the Ark and Nippon of these evil beings forever. With her mission done, Amaterasu departs with Waka on the Ark to sail back to the Celestial Plain together.

I wonder if it was a reference or just coincidence?

Khrymsyn
01-04-2010, 08:30 AM
bring on the wave motion cannon!