PDA

View Full Version : My Monkey Island Dilemma

Joshkdmw
08-03-2009, 05:01 PM
So, I beat Monkey island SE last night, and I can see why the game is so widely revered. It's a gem.

I had never played the original, so it was all fresh and exciting. And naturally, I wanted to play the other episodes.

But here's my dilemma:

At the end of the credits, the phrase "Guybrush Threepwood will return" flashing for thirty seconds more or less tipped me off that there will be further money island remakes for XBLA. Bu I want to play it now.

So, I can get ahold of the original games and play them on my computer, I'm sure, with no trouble at all. But the plot, dilogue, and puzzles in the games will probably be identical to the remakes that will eventually get made, so when the remakes come out on XBLA, chances are good it won't be as new and exciting.

What do you all recommend? Wait for the remakes? Play the originals? I need advice from people in the know.

Wedge
08-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Play the originals, then the remakes. With monkey 3 they should just get the original artwork and HD it anyways. Not many changes needed for upgrade there.

Camel
08-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Well, I am enjoying the remake immensely despite the fact that I have played through Monkey Island about 15 times since I was a little kid. If you like the games, it's always a blast to play through them again, even though you already know how to beat all the puzzles.

I would play the original Monkey Island 2, and then play the remake when it comes out. One of the reasons I like the remake so much is to see how the things I remember so well from the original game have been re-imagined, and I am looking forward to doing that with the sequel as well.

Wedge
08-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Oh, and by the way: The fact that you can see each individual pixel in the old ones is part of the charm!

Also: My lawn? Get off it.

violent
08-03-2009, 05:16 PM
You gotta learn to roll:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1784/mi2ytb.jpg

Joshkdmw
08-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Alright, I've been sold (though I apparently needed little convincing). I'm off to get my scumm on.

shodan2020
08-03-2009, 06:05 PM
I haven't played Lechuck's Revenge, but The Curse of Monkey Island is an absolute hoot and it's extremely well animated and voice acted. It's my favorite Monkey Island game.

Joshkdmw
08-03-2009, 06:07 PM
This is irritating.

I cannot of the life of me get the game to work. I got scummVM just fine, but I'll be damned if I can find the DOS files.

Widgetcraft
08-03-2009, 06:12 PM
This is irritating.

I cannot of the life of me get the game to work. I got scummVM just fine, but I'll be damned if I can find the DOS files.

The DOS files?

violent
08-03-2009, 06:12 PM
This is irritating.

Where are you looking?

Joshkdmw
08-03-2009, 06:13 PM
The DOS files?

Did I stutter? Yes, the DOS files. Unless I'm mistaken, and that's not what I need.

Ill take a moment to remind you all I'm on OSX, so I have no clue how your PC games work.

Where are you looking?

Googled a bunch of places, went to about eight sites, with nothing working. I keep getting .exe files, which my Scumm won't use. My computer seems to think it's a crossover App, but it won;t open through THAT, either.

Widgetcraft
08-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Did I stutter? Yes, the DOS files. Unless I'm mistaken, and that's not what I need.

Ill take a moment to remind you all I'm on OSX, so I have no clue how your PC games work.

Hrm... well, in ScummVM for me, all I have to do is put the game in whatever folder I want it to be in, open ScummVM and tell it to Add Game. I hit the Choose button, navigate to the game folder, and add it. There is nothing more to it than that. I'm not really sure what "DOS files" refers to. DOS is an operating system.

violent
08-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Googled a bunch of places, went to about eight sites, with nothing working. I keep getting .exe files, which my Scumm won't use. My computer seems to think it's a crossover App, but it won;t open through THAT, either.

Are you attempting to download these games or do you have legit copies? This is what ScummVM should look like once you add your games:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5016/mi2n.jpg

Joshkdmw
08-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Are you attempting to download these games or do you have legit copies? This is what ScummVM should look like once you add your games:

snip

I was under the impression that the games were no longer on the market. Am I mistaken? I mean, I can check futureshop, but... the chances of it being in stock seem pretty low.

violent
08-03-2009, 06:28 PM
I was under the impression that the games were no longer on the market. Am I mistaken? I mean, I can check futureshop, but... the chances of it being in stock seem pretty low.

Well I can't really direct you to where you want to go, I can just advise that these games all come in a similar format: A demos folder, a resource folder and a support folder. You open the resource folder with ScummVM and select "choose". This is how to properly add a game in ScummVM.

Joshkdmw
08-03-2009, 06:36 PM
I think, dear friends, I forgot one crucial fact:

Getting a game to run on a Mac is, in general, a thoroughly detestable experience. Quadruply so if it does not necessarily run natively.

Widgetcraft
08-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Explain to us exactly what you have, in terms of the game, and what you are doing to go about adding it to ScummVM.

Joshkdmw
08-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Explain to us exactly what you have, in terms of the game, and what you are doing to go about adding it to ScummVM.

I have files for it with the following names:

ADLIB.IMS
MONKEY2.000
MONKEY2.001
MONKEY2.EXE
ROL_330.IMS
ROL_332.IMS
ROL_334.IMS
ROL_336.IMS
ROLAND.IMS
SOUNBLAS.IMS
SPEAKER.IMS

I open ScummVM, and go to 'Add Game'. I navigate to the folder with these files, and none are selectable from Scumm.

AgtFox
08-03-2009, 06:48 PM
At the end of the credits, the phrase "Guybrush Threepwood will return" flashing for thirty seconds more or less tipped me off that there will be further money island remakes for XBLA. Bu I want to play it now.
Why hasn't anyone said that this was the end of the original game as well and does not tip anyting off at future XBLA releases? They were already working on the sequel when the original came out.

Widgetcraft
08-03-2009, 06:51 PM
I have files for it with the following names:

ADLIB.IMS
MONKEY2.000
MONKEY2.001
MONKEY2.EXE
ROL_330.IMS
ROL_332.IMS
ROL_334.IMS
ROL_336.IMS
ROLAND.IMS
SOUNBLAS.IMS
SPEAKER.IMS

I open ScummVM, and go to 'Add Game'. I navigate to the folder with these files, and none are selectable from Scumm.

Well, all you need are MONKEY2.000 and MONKEY2.001, for it to work in ScummVM. As for why it isn't working, I have no idea.

Widgetcraft
08-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Fuck, I think I know what the problem is... You don't need to select any file from the list. Just navigate to the folder. In the bottom-right corner of the window you're in is a button that says "Choose." Click it.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/perigon/WTF.jpg

Joshkdmw
08-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Why hasn't anyone said that this was the end of the original game as well and does not tip anyting off at future XBLA releases? They were already working on the sequel when the original came out.

So, they went over the whole game with a fine-toothed comb, recreating every detail faithfully, and creating a whole new credits sequence (with a ton more accreditations), and decided to leave that in just because it was in the first game?

Okay, strictly speaking, nothing is tipped off. But do you have any doubt? Why wouldn't they remake the others - it's monkey island. It'll sell. The first remake did, after all, and Lucasarts likes money about as much as any other corporation.

EDIT:

Heretic machine, I could just kiss you! Worked, added, going to play now.

That was a serious case of temporary retardation on my part - I've had to do similar things before, too.

Widgetcraft
08-03-2009, 06:59 PM
So, they went over the whole game with a fine-toothed comb, recreating every detail faithfully, and creating a whole new credits sequence (with a ton more accreditations), and decided to leave that in just because it was in the first game?

Okay, strictly speaking, nothing is tipped off. But do you have any doubt? Why wouldn't they remake the others - it's monkey island. It'll sell. The first remake did, after all, and Lucasarts likes money about as much as any other corporation.

EDIT:

Heretic machine, I could just kiss you! Worked, added, going to play now.

That was a serious case of temporary retardation on my part - I've had to do similar things before, too.

Don't worry about it, that is kind of stupid on the part of the developers, as it doesn't really fit with what you'd do with any other program. Enjoy the game though! Monkey Island is one of my favorite franchises of all time.

AgtFox
08-03-2009, 07:00 PM

I don't see them necessarily remaking the sequels. I do see them releasing them on Steam though. I haven't played the Special Edition, but I believe there is an option to go back to the old graphics. Maybe the ending has the old graphics as well.

Yes, the game ended with those words in the original, why are you surprised they left that in? You have to keep somewhat close to the original game, don't you?

UPDATE: Maybe I'm thinking of the second one. Found a video of the original ending where it said, "Turn your computer off and go to sleep" blinking. Would have sworn it had talked about the series continuing.

Joshkdmw
08-03-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't see them necessarily remaking the sequels. I do see them releasing them on Steam though. I haven't played the Special Edition, but I believe there is an option to go back to the old graphics. Maybe the ending has the old graphics as well.

Yes, the game ended with those words in the original, why are you surprised they left that in? You have to keep somewhat close to the original game, don't you?

Yes, and they did. But saying Guybrush will return when he in fact already has for several episodes seems a bit odd.

No, they will not necessarily remake the sequels. There's no binding legal action that says they must. But I believe in the rule of the almighty Dollar, and George Lucas has proven himself a fan of money time and time again. And the remake of Monkey island made money - in fact, still IS - and has been critically acclaimed.

These facts taken separately do not necessitate a remake. But taken together, it leaves me with a strong impression that we'll see further remakes. Because Praise Jesus, game developers still answer to the almighty dollar.

AgtFox
08-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Well, if you truly wanted to enjoy the games I'd go to eBay and start hunting for hard copies. Developers still make nothing, but at least you'd be legal.

Widgetcraft
08-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Well, if you truly wanted to enjoy the games I'd go to eBay and start hunting for hard copies. Developers still make nothing, but at least you'd be legal.

These were games that they gave away on a "Retro Game Disc" in a copy of some old magazine I used to subscribe to back in the early 00's. I doubt that they really give a shit, especially if it encourages him to buy the new episodes.

Joshkdmw
08-03-2009, 07:46 PM
These were games that they gave away on a "Retro Game Disc" in a copy of some old magazine I used to subscribe to back in the early 00's. I doubt that they really give a shit, especially if it encourages him to buy the new episodes.

See, I agree. Don't get me wrong - I support paying for games when the developer still mkes money off of it. But when it's say, a NES game, where the only money exchanged is ten bucks to the store you buy it from? I see it as less reprehensible to pursue alternate methods of procurement.

Kelegacy
08-04-2009, 05:18 AM
Play the originals, respect the originals, play the remakes, realize how awesome the originals were in correlation with today's games. Today we have hint options, and short, easy games. The adventure games of old made you use your noggin, today not so much.

Also, if you haven't picked up other awesome adventure games like Willy Beamish, do so. The 90s were chock full of adventure goodness.

Telefrog
08-04-2009, 08:05 AM

I doubt that "they" don't give a shit. Regardless of whether or not the game was once given away with a magazine, the actual game files are still under license. That promo disc may not have cost you any extra money, but money was definitely exchanged per copy made.

Here. Let the ScummVM folks clear it up (http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Copyright_FAQ) for you:

Why is copying/downloading my favorite adventure game a problem?
Apart from the obvious (the game was written by people with commercial intent, they own it, so they can ask you not to get it for free) copying games also endangers the ScummVM project.

Providing support for obviously "warezed" versions of games could create the impression that ScummVM promotes copyright violations. Needless to say, this is not in the interest of the ScummVM developers. Game companies often keep a close eye on projects which are re-implementing their game engines; any negative connotation makes it more likely for a project to be shut down.

Game XY isn't being sold any more. Is it ok to download it?
Unless declared otherwise by the copyright holder you are not allowed to get the game free of charge. You can find most games for purchase on eBay or see the Where to buy games page.

What about abandonware?
Abandonware is not a proper legal concept. Copyright of computer software seems to end 95 years after publication (at least in the USA). Feel free to check back in around 2080 if you're allowed to download the games then.

GrenMag
08-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Never mind. (Stupid caching proxy.)

Anyhow, I've always had issues with this part of the menuing in ScummVM. It seems to confuse everyone the first time they use it.

Widgetcraft
08-04-2009, 10:31 AM
I doubt that "they" don't give a shit. Regardless of whether or not the game was once given away with a magazine, the actual game files are still under license. That promo disc may not have cost you any extra money, but money was definitely exchanged per copy made.

Here. Let the ScummVM folks clear it up (http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Copyright_FAQ) for you:

This shit right here is why I am really beginning to prefer 4chan for many gaming discussions. Too many CoGers just don't live in reality. You're actually taking the time to lecture someone who may (or may not) have pirated a twenty year old adventure game.

Really, this shit gets old. Just put something in your sig that says, "Piracy is a sin against Corporate America" and move on.

Telefrog
08-04-2009, 10:52 AM
This shit right here is why I am really beginning to prefer 4chan for many gaming discussions. Too many CoGers just don't live in reality. You're actually taking the time to lecture someone who may (or may not) have pirated a twenty year old adventure game.

Really, this shit gets old. Just put something in your sig that says, "Piracy is a sin against Corporate America" and move on.

I wasn't "lecturing" anyone based on whether or not I believe they pirated anything. I was replying to your comment that implied everything was cool with pirating Lucasarts games because it was at one time released as a magazine promo. You gave incorrect advice that would lead to someone breaking the law.

I don't really care if anyone pirates the game. I do believe that people should have the correct information before they decide to break the law.

Personally, I think the licenses being held in (almost) perpetuity is retarded, but that's where things stand at this point. Change the laws and I'll be right there downloading this stuff.

What I don't want to see is one of the CoG community wind up in court as an example case with a life-ruining fine levied against them because they followed bad advice.

Panthera
08-04-2009, 11:12 AM
What I don't want to see is one of the CoG community wind up in court as an example case with a life-ruining fine levied against them because they followed bad advice.

And here's where his comment about living in reality comes into play.

Telefrog
08-04-2009, 11:23 AM
And here's where his comment about living in reality comes into play.

Really? Because no one has ever wound up in court paying outrageous fines for sharing pirated media.

violent
08-04-2009, 11:28 AM

CoG doesn't live in reality so you're gonna go to 4chan? There isn't a sponge in the world big enough to clean my brains off the wall.

Joshkdmw
08-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Just to set everyone at ease -

I didn't pirate the game. As luck had it, a friend had the old disk and all the necessary tools.

So how about we drop it.