PDA

View Full Version : Ridley Scott directing the Alien prequel...

muddi900
07-31-2009, 01:37 PM
Take it as you will... (http://io9.com/5327020/yes-ridley-scott-will-direct-the-alien-prequel)

Spectre-7
07-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Fuck yeah! I love Ridley Scott.

Narradisall
07-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Game over man, Game over!

Voodoo
07-31-2009, 02:46 PM
I really hope the story revolves around the origin of the xenomorph species and the Space Jockeys.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/Alien_(1979)_-_space_jockey.jpg

Oh, found this gem at wikipedia...
In the bonus materials of the special edition Alien DVD, director Ridley Scott expresses the opinion that a film exploring the backstory of the Space Jockey would be an interesting direction for the series to take.
...and...
Scott suggests in his Alien DVD commentary that the Jockey's ship was a "bomber": alien eggs could be dropped on an enemy planet, and the aliens would proceed to kill the population as they spawned. According to Cameron, the Space Jockey's craft picked up alien eggs and the pilot became infected by the dangerous cargo; the ship landed on LV-426 and the Space Jockey transmitted the signal as a warning.

Squidbot
07-31-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm so glad Scott is doing this.

roboninja
07-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Interest++

Scott is a great director, one of my favourite of all time.

Esquilax1138
07-31-2009, 04:04 PM
Awesome news, might almost make me forget about Aliens 3 and 4 :eek:

Xerxes
07-31-2009, 04:16 PM
He should direct the next Hulk movie. ;)

digitalErich
07-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Oh man, a movie focusing on the Space Jockeys would be incredible.

GunnyMo
07-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Awesome news, might almost make me forget about Aliens 3 and 4 :eek:

You must be high. 3 wasn't that great but 4 was fantastic. ;)

And Scott doing a prequel should be most excellent. As long as he doesn't put any damn Predators in it things should go well.

Telefrog
07-31-2009, 04:26 PM
It's going to be awesome when it turns out to be a movie about the early life and professional success of Charles Bishop Weyland. An ultra-prequel, if you will.

Xerxes
07-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Oh man, a movie focusing on the Space Jockeys would be incredible.

I haven't seen the alien movies. So there is another race out there besides the Predators and xenomorphs?

Wombat
07-31-2009, 04:29 PM
I haven't seen the alien movies. So there is another race out there besides the Predators and xenomorphs?

The Space Jockeys is the name sometimes given to the race of the dead pilot of the spaceship carrying the eggs in Alien.

Xerxes
07-31-2009, 04:30 PM
The Space Jockeys is the name sometimes given to the race of the dead pilot of the spaceship carrying the eggs in Alien.

:o
I forgot to watch them on netflix streaming and they're gone now. Might have to rent them and catch up.

digitalErich
07-31-2009, 04:31 PM
You really should check out Alien and Aliens...two of the best sci-fi movies to date.

Edit: Also, I have't seen the extended/director's cut of Alien yet (waiting on the BR) but I think I remember reading about there being more shots of the Space Jokey ship.

digitalErich
07-31-2009, 04:33 PM
It's going to be awesome when it turns out to be a movie about the early life and professional success of Charles Bishop Weyland. An ultra-prequel, if you will.
Didn't we get that in the AvP movies?

zarathstra
07-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Interest, +2!

Xerxes
07-31-2009, 04:34 PM
You really should check out Alien and Aliens...two of the best sci-fi movies to date.

Edit: Also, I have't seen the extended/director's but of Alien yet (waiting on the BR) but I think I remember reading about there being more shots of the Space Jokey ship.

Funny thing I saw the other 2 in passing. In Alien3, wasn't Roc a space garbage man? :confused:

Telefrog
07-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Didn't we get that in the AvP movies?

No, what we got in AvP was Weyland at the end of his life. Wouldn't you love to see Weyland struggling in his early twenties with various patent lawsuits and government bids? ;)

Mmmm... Dramatic and inspirational!

Suave Peanut
07-31-2009, 04:47 PM
No, what we got in AvP was Weyland at the end of his life. Wouldn't you love to see Weyland struggling in his early twenties with various patent lawsuits and government bids? ;)

Mmmm... Dramatic and inspirational!

That sounds almost as exciting as one or three Star Wars movies about trade disputes and political intrigue!!

Gerbs
07-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Didn't even know this project existed. Regardless, great news.

KamaItachi
07-31-2009, 05:25 PM
I had heard that he wanted to get Sigourney Weaver in on the project, which seems just stupidly awful, and she turned it (and the Ghostbusters sequel) down around the same time.

I'm optimistic, but I'd like to see them kep it closer to the original Alien and the Space Jocky, rather than just a retread of the first 2.

Xerxes
07-31-2009, 05:33 PM
That sounds almost as exciting as one or three Star Wars movies about trade disputes and political intrigue!!

Cosmic Wars ftw.

Widgetcraft
07-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Sounds like a plan! I look forward to seeing it.

zarathstra
07-31-2009, 06:42 PM
I had heard that he wanted to get Sigourney Weaver in on the project, which seems just stupidly awful, and she turned it (and the Ghostbusters sequel) down around the same time.

I'm optimistic, but I'd like to see them kep it closer to the original Alien and the Space Jocky, rather than just a retread of the first 2.

I'm hoping we get an origin story on the xenomorphs, and an explanation of the Space Jockey as well. I have no idea how they would have worked Sigounrey Weaver into a prequel, unless it was as one of her Ripley's ancestors.

KamaItachi
07-31-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm hoping we get an origin story on the xenomorphs, and an explanation of the Space Jockey as well. I have no idea how they would have worked Sigounrey Weaver into a prequel, unless it was as one of her Ripley's ancestors.

There's a hint of a backstory in the original alien. Ash was deliberately placed in the crew to retrieve the xenomorph and Mother on the Nostromo was aware of LV426 and the plan to return it to Earth. Obviously there had been some sort of contact before.

All they need to do is flesh that out, not make it suck and avoid all the terrible nudge-nudge, wink wink foreshadowing fanservice that seems to plague every goddamn prequel movie.

Wasson_
07-31-2009, 09:51 PM
That would be the man to do it...unless he's gone soft over the years.

It has been a long time since he did the first one you know...

inmostlight
08-02-2009, 08:50 AM
That would be the man to do it...unless he's gone soft over the years.

It has been a long time since he did the first one you know...

Ridley did seem to go soft for most of the 90s (basically everything between Thelma & Louise and Gladiator), but since then he's mostly gotten his groove back.

Rakael
08-02-2009, 09:13 AM
I am interested in this, but I have serious reservations about it at the same time.

Xerxes
08-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Wouldn't it be better to go into the future to find out more about the Space Jockey's kind. I wonder what there relationship to the Predators are.

Rakael
08-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Wouldn't it be better to go into the future to find out more about the Space Jockey's kind. I wonder what there relationship to the Predators are.

No relationship unless someone writes it in.

Suave Peanut
08-02-2009, 01:20 PM

No relationship unless someone writes it in.
Guys, stop giving them ideas!

Xerxes
08-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Guys, stop giving them ideas!

I'm just wondering if the Predator race were the ones they were using the alien bombs on. :confused:

Maybe what the movies has been as interpreted as hunting down a dangerous prey, was actually them learning and training to fight the enemy's secret weapon.

Rakael
08-02-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm just wondering if the Predator race were the ones they were using the alien bombs on. :confused:

Maybe what the movies has been as interpreted as hunting down a dangerous prey, was actually them learning and training to fight the enemy's secret weapon.

No, Alien and Predator were two totally unrelated stories when created. They were only meshed together later.

ZephidsEmbrace
08-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Hmmm didn't know what Space Jockey referred to but I've just educated myself and count me interested. If done right, that could be a very enjoyable movie. I want another Alien or Aliens sooooo bad...Aliens is one of the greatest movies ever.

DangerousDaze
08-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Ridley Scott = Godlike, in my eyes. Bring it on!

Inspector Fowler
08-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Why Space Jockey? I don't get it.

Stmfuller
08-02-2009, 05:09 PM
:o
I forgot to watch them on netflix streaming and they're gone now. Might have to rent them and catch up.
My wife and I rented all four a while back when the last uber-edition came out. I've always heard they were one of the series you just HAVE to see.
Here is my short take on it all.
1st movie. ok albeit rather slow (70s-early 80s sci-fi style, not bad but not really like the modern take on sci-fi movies). There's only one alien, but it creates a shitload of havoc aboard the ship.
2nd movie-3rd movie forgettable. seriously, I don't remember a single moment of it.
4th movie is pretty good (only one I saw in the theaters), but the ending is really out there WTF-style. If you haven't seen it, I won't spoil it for you. but yeah...wtfomglol

For me, it falls in the same area as blade runner. I should like it, I'm supposed to like it, but I just don't like it.

All that being said, I'll probably watch the alien prequel

Wasson_
08-02-2009, 06:10 PM
...2nd Movie forgettable?

Aliens forgettable?

get the fuck outta here.

Suave Peanut
08-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Really? You fault a movie called "Alien" for only having one alien?

Also: get the fuck outta here. :p

digitalErich
08-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Why Space Jockey? I don't get it.
Not sure where it started (maybe director commentary?), but I think its just one of those words associated with a movie or show that fans use enough that it sort of becomes part of the language around that work, like reffering to the survivors of 815 as the "Losties."

The words 'Space Jockey' are never said in any of the movies.

ShivaX
08-02-2009, 07:06 PM
...2nd Movie forgettable?

Aliens forgettable?

get the fuck outta here.

Yeah... umm...

It should have said:

1st movie - a good movie, especially considering when it was made
2nd movie - possibly the best piece of science fiction ever made

The 3rd one wasn't anything special and the 4th one was just strange.

KamaItachi
08-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Yeah... umm...

It should have said:

1st movie - a good movie, especially considering when it was made
2nd movie - possibly the best piece of science fiction ever made

The 3rd one wasn't anything special and the 4th one was just strange.

Not that I'm defending his critique, but of the 4, Aliens has aged the worst and Cameron seems to have followed Scott's lead in making sure the original theatrical cut is never seen again in favour of his Director's version, even though it's not as good.

Wasson_
08-02-2009, 07:44 PM
How has Aliens aged the worst?

Seriously, I think it still looks great by all standards.

And NO Suave Peanut, the first movie is excellent, it's an atmospheric masterpiece, Ian Holm does his part so well it's ridiculous...but Aliens kicks so much ass and is adored by so many people for someone to call it "forgettable" boggles my fucking mind.

Widgetcraft
08-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Dunno what you guys are talking about, Aliens is awesome. This isn't coming from any kind of nostalgia either, I didn't see that movie until after the year 2000. It is a damn fine movie. I like the first one as well.

The third sucks ass. The fourth isn't much better. The third and fourth movies were the first Alien movies I had seen, and they are what kept me from exploring the franchise further for so long.

Suave Peanut
08-02-2009, 07:54 PM

And NO Suave Peanut, the first movie is excellent, it's an atmospheric masterpiece, Ian Holm does his part so well it's ridiculous...but Aliens kicks so much ass and is adored by so many people for someone to call it "forgettable" boggles my fucking mind.
What? Why NO me? I was echoing your sentiments!

Wasson_
08-02-2009, 07:57 PM
What? Why NO me? I was echoing your sentiments!

oh...

cool.

:P

violent
08-02-2009, 08:02 PM
1st movie. ok albeit rather slow
2nd movie-3rd movie forgettable. seriously, I don't remember a single moment of it.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i223/violentp69/6oh540.gif

Wasson_
08-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Dunno what you guys are talking about, Aliens is awesome. This isn't coming from any kind of nostalgia either, I didn't see that movie until after the year 2000. It is a damn fine movie. I like the first one as well.

The third sucks ass. The fourth isn't much better. The third and fourth movies were the first Alien movies I had seen, and they are what kept me from exploring the franchise further for so long.

awww that SUCKS! dude.

Yeah the 3rd is sooooo boring. and spends way too much time with characters who are so dull, and the settings is so fucking bleak....I really have no idea what the hell they were thinking when they made it. and the 4th movie...has the "raptor" aliens in it. Completely and utterly used incorrectly...and even though it has Brad Dureff, Sigorney Weaver and Ron Pearlman in it, this movie still utterly fails miserably...it's so goddamn stupid.

KamaItachi
08-02-2009, 08:09 PM

I guess aged is the wrong term to use, ad the Special effects etc are actually still great. I really meant that it seems like it tried the hardest to look futuristic, but everything about it from the clothing, to Ripley's hairstyle to the fantastic video phones screams 'late 80s'.

Widgetcraft
08-02-2009, 08:15 PM
awww that SUCKS! dude.

Yeah the 3rd is sooooo boring. and spends way too much time with characters who are so dull, and the settings is so fucking bleak....I really have no idea what the hell they were thinking when they made it. and the 4th movie...has the "raptor" aliens in it. Completely and utterly used incorrectly...and even though it has Brad Dureff, Sigorney Weaver and Ron Pearlman in it, this movie still utterly fails miserably...it's so goddamn stupid.

It was pretty strange seeing such a great cast in Alien Resurrection and still having it suck so hard.

violent
08-02-2009, 08:16 PM
It was pretty strange seeing such a great cast in Alien Resurrection and still having it suck so hard.

I liked Resurrection. Everything up to the finale. In comparison with the first two, it doesn't hold a candle. On it's own, it kicked ass.

Stmfuller
08-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Everyone seems to forget that after all of that I said, I should like...but I don't.
to each his own I guess.

Wasson_
08-02-2009, 09:21 PM
oh relax, we're just giving you a hard time.

Stmfuller
08-02-2009, 09:35 PM
oh relax, we're just giving you a hard time.

it's far too late for that:
http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=367
Please apologize before I get any more sad.
come on...I've got thicker skin than that

Spectre-7
08-02-2009, 09:37 PM
come on...I've got thicker skin than that

Looks like we're gonna have to bring out the elephant guns, boys.

KamaItachi
08-02-2009, 10:20 PM
awww that SUCKS! dude.

The third is pretty famous for Fincher being fucked around from day one by the studios and re-writes happening on a constant basis. The restored version is a lot better, but you'll never see it how Fincher had intended.

4 suffered too much from Jean-Pierre Jeunet's flight of fancy and over the top visual style. It seems like some basic Common sense should that the more you show of the Alien, the less frightening it becomes. But 4 went all out to show off fancy CGI graphics and cover everything in his favourite shade of luminous green. Booo!

Spectre-7
08-02-2009, 10:25 PM
To be honest, I really enjoyed 3, even in its original cobbled together state. I dig movies with oppressive atmosphere and quiet character development. It's hard to imagine a situation more uncomfortable than a lone woman trapped in a men's prison with a vicious alien on the loose, and I loved it.

Wasson_
08-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Looks like we're gonna have to bring out the elephant guns, boys.

_Y_6H617Fcs

Spectre-7
08-02-2009, 10:55 PM
_Y_6H617Fcs

I'll see that and raise ya...

7y7KjanpWOk

Xerxes
08-03-2009, 02:07 AM
I wonder what would happen if you jumped up and then fired it. O_o

digitalErich
08-03-2009, 02:16 AM
Dislocated shoulder? Or maybe you'd get lucky and pull off a wicked back-flip.

Voodoo
08-03-2009, 08:41 AM
I liked Resurrection. Everything up to the finale. In comparison with the first two, it doesn't hold a candle. On it's own, it kicked ass.
What a beautiful butterfly...

violent
08-03-2009, 09:05 AM
What a beautiful butterfly...

That scene is truly fucked up. That's how I know that movie worked.

Lint of Death
08-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Whether one finds it good or not, Alien: Resurrection seems to have had a lasting effect on the media that has come after it. In two words: "Kill... me."

edit: I was kind of young at the time, but I saw and enjoyed all 4 movies - and the first AvP, actually. The second had some merits, but I'm pretty sure I thought it sucked overall.

Squidbot
08-03-2009, 12:24 PM
**An opinion**
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/linvuiet/Animated/louiejesus6rh.gif

civil
08-03-2009, 12:36 PM
I only skimmed this, but I did read that some motherfuckingretardswithakeyboard thought that the first Alien movie wasn't perfection?

I'm gonna pay Squid to cancel all your WoW accounts and Riley to lop off your pee pees. Fucking geniuses don't deserve to get any fatter or breed!

Spectre-7
08-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Whether one finds it good or not, Alien: Resurrection seems to have had a lasting effect on the media that has come after it. In two words: "Kill... me."

Errrr.... uhhhh... At least 3 of them have had a character say, "Kill me," if you include Alien: Director's Cut. (http://www.spike.com/video/alien-directors-cut/2477572) The most notable, though, was definitely a cacooned colonist in Aliens.

edit: I was kind of young at the time, but I saw and enjoyed all 4 movies - and the first AvP, actually. The second had some merits, but I'm pretty sure I thought it sucked overall.

AVP: Requiem might have been a decent movie, but I couldn't tell. It was too fucking dark to see anything... it's like watching a god damned radio drama.

Wasson_
08-03-2009, 07:10 PM
btw Voodoo, Violent it's Beautiful "Baby"....

let the record show that this shit is srs!

Lint of Death
08-03-2009, 08:40 PM
btw Voodoo, Violent it's Beautiful "Baby"....

let the record show that this shit is srs!

No it isn't! I looked the phrase up earlier today and Hulu's got a video of that segment up until that quote. The dang clip is called "Beautiful Butterfly"!

Wasson_
08-04-2009, 06:42 AM
G-6m1Nq8wm0

oh yeah, in your face lint! In your face with SHITTY VIDEO!!!

Gerbs
08-04-2009, 07:39 AM
oh yeah, in your face lint! In your face with SHITTY VIDEO!!!

I could have also sworn it was butterfly. Extended version perhaps?

Voodoo
08-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Hmm... I had no idea Joss Whedon wrote Alien - Resurrection. Now having watching his other work, I can definitely see the striking similarities.

muddi900
08-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Hmm... I had no idea Joss Whedon wrote Alien - Resurrection. Now having watching his other work, I can definitely see the striking similarities.

Well his script was thrown out by the director, on account of being too awesome.

Khrymsyn
08-04-2009, 08:13 AM

As could I swear it was butterfly.

WTF is going on here?!

Widgetcraft
08-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Well his script was thrown out by the director, on account of being too awesome.

Yeah, I'm not sure how much survived from his version to the movie. Probably would have been significantly better if they went with what he wrote.

DangerousDaze
08-04-2009, 10:44 AM

He says both lines. ;)

muddi900
08-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how much survived from his version to the movie. Probably would have been significantly better if they went with what he wrote.

Not quite. Whedon before Buffy was a "script enhancer". Just adding some extra oomph to already awesome scripts(like Toy Story) or saving dying scripts (like Alien 4).

Stmfuller
08-04-2009, 09:08 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/linvuiet/Animated/louiejesus6rh.gifThis really made me laugh

Gerbs
08-04-2009, 09:28 PM
He says both lines. ;)

Yeah that sounds right. Thanks for clearing it up.

Johan
08-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Ridley Scott being in on this one has me primed for this picture in a big way. There was such an incredible difference to me between Scott's Alien and Cameron's follow-up, Aliens. I enjoyed them both, but I think of the original as a real classic suspense/thriller/horror film, while I consider the second an action/popcorn flick with more of a mindless modern sensibility to it. I also love a good sci-fi flick. We need more of them.

I can't wait.

Lint of Death
08-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Errrr.... uhhhh... At least 3 of them have had a character say, "Kill me," if you include Alien: Director's Cut. (http://www.spike.com/video/alien-directors-cut/2477572) The most notable, though, was definitely a cacooned colonist in Aliens.

AVP: Requiem might have been a decent movie, but I couldn't tell. It was too fucking dark to see anything... it's like watching a god damned radio drama.

I was referring to the scene in which that quote occurs. Ripley 8 discovering Ripleys 1-7 is a memorable sequence, and I remember it being referenced, for example, in South Park.